Five teenagers approach you and your daughter, point a gun and tell you to leave, what would you do?

Elected officials are decrying the gang rape of a young woman in a playground as police rushed to reassure the public that their response was not delayed. City Councilmember Laurie Cumbo said, "When an 18-year-old girl can get raped while walking with her father in a park by five men in Brownsville, New York, we have hit an all-time moral low in the City of New York."

Four of the suspects are now in police custody; two were apprehended by police, while the parents of two others brought them to the precinct. These suspects are ages 14, 15, 15 and 17; the fifth suspect is still outstanding.

The rape occurred on Thursday night, just after 9 p.m., when the victim and her father were in the Osborn Playground. According to the NYPD, "they were approached by five black males, one of whom was armed with a gun. The male with the gun pointed it at them and told the father to leave the area."

The father left, and while he was gone, each of the suspects allegedly raped the woman. When the father returned with police officers, the suspects had already fled.

The NY Times reports: "Many questions about the assault and its aftermath remained difficult to account for. The father ran to get help, but the police official said it took him nearly 20 minutes to come upon two officers in a patrol car... The Fire Department said a call came in requesting medical help at 9:26 p.m., roughly 16 minutes after the attack started."

A deli worker told the Daily News that the father asked to use his phone, but he refused, not believing the father's explanation, "He looked normal. He didn’t look nervous or desperate... A lot of people come here asking to use the phone. I feel bad now knowing why he needed the phone."

Brooklyn Borough President Eric Adams said, "The circumstances of this crime are particularly troubling to me, and I am calling on the NYPD to conduct a full investigation not only to identify all those responsible for this horrific attack, but also to determine if everything possible was done to protect the victim and the public." He suggested that the police would have been quicker to notify the public if the incident occurred in Manhattan.

A police source claimed to the News that "detectives were not immediately able to interview the victim... She first needed treatment for unspecified existing medical conditions, as well as the wounds she suffered during the sadistic attack, the source said. The woman was initially combative, refusing an EMS exam and hospital transport, the source said, adding she also tried to leave the ambulance and bit a police officer."

Police released the surveillance video of the suspects on Saturday evening. Yesterday, the department released a statement, "There was no delay in responding to the rape in the 73 Precinct."

A patrol car from the 73 Precinct was approached on the street and told about the attack by the victim’s father, who directed the officers to the scene. The police officers immediately responded and located the victim. The suspects had already fled. The police officers called for a supervisor and an ambulance, which responded and transported the victim to the hospital. There was no delay in the police response. There were no 911 calls associated with the attack, contrary to media reports.

There was no probative video in the immediate area of the attack. However, detectives in conducting an expanded canvas were able to find video in a bodega, after an extensive search around 2 p.m. on Saturday, January 9. After review, retrieval and copying, the video was distributed to the media around 8 p.m. on Saturday to help identity the five males. The commanding officer of the precinct began contacting local community leaders preliminarily on Friday, January 8.

Still, Councilmember Cumbo blasted Police Commissioner Bill Bratton's remarks that women use a "buddy system" to prevent attacks, "If a father cannot protect his own daughter in this day and age then it is obvious that the so called 'buddy system' is sexist, antiquated and an insult to women throughout New York City. We do not need a buddy system. Every woman in New York City has the right to feel safe and protected at all times within the greatest City in the world."

Instead, Cumbo said, "What we need is a strategy, resources, manpower, enforcement and a plan to keep every single woman in the City of New York safe. We want and desperately need your support in apprehending these individuals that committed this heinous act. These individuals do not deserve to live amongst us in this society and should be captured and prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law."

A worker at the deli where surveillance footage of the suspects was obtained told the Times he "recognized the suspects as young men who came to the store most afternoons, sometimes stealing cakes and other snacks. 'They’re bad boys,' he said, shaking his head."

Another issue that B.P. Adams brought up was "better lighting and design of public spaces like Osborn Playground"; apparently now the Department of Transportation, which oversees lighting, will inspect the space.

Mayor Bill de Blasio said, "I am disgusted and deeply saddened by the horrific attack that took place in Brownsville Thursday evening. We will take every step possible to find and swiftly prosecute the assailants of this vicious crime. Every New Yorker in every neighborhood deserves to feel safe and protected, and we will not stop until the perpetrators of this disturbing attack are held accountable for their actions. This administration has zero tolerance for sexual attacks, and we will work to ensure a crime of this nature never happens again."

http://gothamist.com/2016/01/11/brooklyn_gang_rape.php

:smh:

I said the same thing. I can't believe he left her man..I was telling someone earlier he's going to have to live with that **** forever man..even if he went to go get cops, your daughter was just raped by 5 guys man..crazy situation smh

Heard the mothers of two boys turned in there own sons..good!

Last edited:
Telling my daughter to run like hell while I stand and fight. I'd rather die protecting my daughter than live knowing that I played **** while she was gang raped.

Repulsive story. :smh: :x

I would die trying to defend my daughter. Hell no to leaving her.

I would not have left my daughter under any circumstances. She would live knowing that I did my job as her Daddy.

I wouldn't leave my daughter.

Fight to the death and tell her to run, immediately to a business to call 911.

I can't believe he left her. That's his daughter. He just lost her forever. Man, he lost himself, too. No way he can live with himself after that.

Unbelievable situation to be in, however. I understand the guy's fear of death and intimidation in that situation but there's some things in life that require a stand. More than likely he would have been killed or seriously hurt, but that's just a price that has to be paid in that situation.

I feel bad for him. It's unfortunate that he had to make that caliber of a decision.

Bruh aint nothing good coming out of leaving your daughter defenseless :x

Bro, how in the hell do you leave your kid????????

I'd end up dead in that situation, I guess. No way I'm just gonna willingly leave and hand my daughter over to 5 goons. It'd just have to be me trying to beast on 5 dudes while she hopefully got away. Maybe that's a dumb approach because 1 or both of us could end up dead, but man...I just couldn't make the decision to leave her.

What a sad situation all around. So many lives permanently scarred. :smh:

This is hard to read. 

mean.gif
 at that Deli owner, though. As someone whose worked in restaurants before I know it's never fun having someone come in and ask to use your phone, but IDC, it's hard to turn away from someone crying rape right in your face. 

Damn pops left.....should've stuck it out with her man. The amount of time it takes for you to run, cal the cops, wait, all that....

She's gonna harbor ill will towards him and I wouldn't fault her at all.

Seen this story thought it was fake. Can't comprehend how someone would leave there daughter.

They would've had to use that strap cause ain't no way in hell :smh:

Damn what a hell of a decision he had to make :smh:

Everyone saying they would have died I agree, but would that really would have changed the outcome besides you ending up dead.

I was gung *** and still am that I'm fighting to the death, but if you think about it they had guns and if they do a crime like this then killing wouldn't have been a problem.

Your daughter sill gets raped and now has to grieve with you being killed.

Bad on all fronts.

If he had the gun close to his face and there was only one gun pointed then he should have tried to fight and grab the gun.

Man I hope they filth piece of **** get like without ever getting the possibility of parole.

Back
Top Bottom