FIXED GEARS

I need a new Hobby and I think this will be it....I'm done with poker and definitely done with sneakers. I've always liked the simplicity of thesebicycles, I like the style as well. Above anything else and this is the majority of why I want to start this hobby, it's a great form of shorttransportation and exercise.

A couple of questions in regards to fixed gear bikes:

- What would the start up cost be for this hobby?

- How much do these bikes weigh?

- Being new to this, I definitely want to ride safe so should I go for hand brakes with my bike?

- I've seen people slide the back tires on their bikes, is that how you would brake/slow down if you don't have hand brakes?

- How do you lock up your bikes when you go out, or do you carry it with you?

- So is there a beginners guide/website to this lifestyle?

Originally Posted by imperialh8

I need a new Hobby and I think this will be it....I'm done with poker and definitely done with sneakers. I've always liked the simplicity of these bicycles, I like the style as well. Above anything else and this is the majority of why I want to start this hobby, it's a great form of short transportation and exercise.

A couple of questions in regards to fixed gear bikes:

- What would the start up cost be for this hobby?

- How much do these bikes weigh?

- Being new to this, I definitely want to ride safe so should I go for hand brakes with my bike?

- I've seen people slide the back tires on their bikes, is that how you would brake/slow down if you don't have hand brakes?

- How do you lock up your bikes when you go out, or do you carry it with you?

- So is there a beginners guide/website to this lifestyle?
You could probably get a decent starter complete from places like bikesdirect for about $350.

Definitely start with at least one brake.

Yes skidding is used to stop when riding brakeless.

Just do a search on how to lock up your bike. I don't use mine for transportation so I never need to lock it. You should use two U-locks though.

Just search for fixed gear. There are tons of info on the web. Also depending where you live there is usually a specific fixed gear site dedicated to your neararea.LAfixed, SFfixed and so on.

Originally Posted by Chest Rockwel

You could probably get a decent starter complete from places like bikesdirect for about $350.

Definitely start with at least one brake.

Yes skidding is used to stop when riding brakeless.

Just do a search on how to lock up your bike. I don't use mine for transportation so I never need to lock it. You should use two U-locks though.

Just search for fixed gear. There are tons of info on the web. Also depending where you live there is usually a specific fixed gear site dedicated to your near area.LAfixed, SFfixed and so on.

Cool thanks man...This information believe it or not was very helpful to me...Thanks once again.

I think I may copy "the hundreds" paint job [with a few minor alterations] and wanted to ask
-can I spray paint a bike seat without worry of the paint coming off on my clothes?
-Can bike chains be painted without damaging the chain?
-Is there any part of the bike that can't be painted?
-What is the best way to paint a bike i.e. brush, spray can etc?
-Would I have to prime it first?

Originally Posted by cucumbercool

I think I may copy "the hundreds" paint job [with a few minor alterations] and wanted to ask
-can I spray paint a bike seat without worry of the paint coming off on my clothes?
-Can bike chains be painted without damaging the chain?
-Is there any part of the bike that can't be painted?
-What is the best way to paint a bike i.e. brush, spray can etc?
-Would I have to prime it first?
- I dont think that spay painting you saddle will work, never heard of anyone doing this.....i could be wrong
-You can get a colored chain for like $7, save yourself the time and effort
-You can paint just about anything, if it lasts is another story
-Spraying it is the way to go.
-Yes, you need to strip the current paint, primer, then paint

here's a pic of my bike, it's not fixed, but it's a single speed conversion that I did. Shout out to kdawg who gave me a lot of advice during theprocess

Here's what it looked like before:

here's the frame when I painted it:

semi finished product (still gotta get a chain that fits my crank)

Here's a small recent photo of what im riding at the moment. I will have to get a better pic sometime.

Not fixed, but dope none the less.

just trying to keep this thread going
grin.gif

Originally Posted by retr0sxual

What is the purpose of fixed-gear bicycles? (Honest question.)

They're primary track bikes used to race on the velodrome. Many other types of cyclists like to use them for cadence training. Their simplicity also makesthem perfect for inclement weather commuting.

I finally made up my mind and picked up a Felt TK3. A store was getting rid of their 2009 stock and the price was too good to pass up.

Anyone need a 26" flip flop rear mountain wheel? It has 135mm spacing and when I tried to fit it on my bike I found out my bike had 126mm spacing
tired.gif

Originally Posted by DJ bana

oh and, heres my bike. not fixed, but just glad to finally own a bike!

3909225952_d3c6edb948_b.jpg

Nice, gotta love the oldies. But either it is way too big for you or your saddle is way too low.
Ridding with a low saddle can be really bad for you knees. But hey, if you're not putting in a lot of miles it cant be too bad I guess.

*EDIT*

I like how you got the matching water bottle too
laugh.gif

That centurion is looking real clean
pimp.gif
I like the subtle matching of the cable tubes and chainring bolts.

I'd raise the seat and throw some promenade bars on it.

Here is my 1st Fixie:
80's Batavus Competition road bike frame. Reynolds 531 ftw
I'm having problems. I have the OG crankset on there and I keep catching my pedals when I turn sharp. My current gear is 52x17 and I huff and puff my wayup hills. My question is should I switch to the 42t chain ring so it will be 42x17 or buy a new 165mm 46t crankset? Thanks I'm still new to all of this.
2ewo1l2.jpg

you should reconvert that back into a road bike and get a track/fixed gear frame with track dropouts.

That Dakota Roche video deserves its own thread. He looks like he can outrun police with those tricks.
laugh.gif

Back
Top Bottom