Florida governor signs welfare drug-screen measure....Good or Bad?

Right. And everyone who doesn't support is an advocate for drug use. What point are you making? That this law isn't perfect? It's a start, and its better than what we previously had. Follow this laws of this country, and you'll get your benefits.

Right. And everyone who doesn't support is an advocate for drug use. What point are you making? That this law isn't perfect? It's a start, and its better than what we previously had. Follow this laws of this country, and you'll get your benefits.

this is stupid for 2 reasons. 1) if said person fails and has kids now the government has to foot the bill to take care of them PLUS pay someone to watch the kids 24 hours a day 2) taking away someones welfare doesnt mean they stop doing drugs, what WILL happen is those people turning to crime (most likely violent) to now get money to pay for their habit.

this is stupid for 2 reasons. 1) if said person fails and has kids now the government has to foot the bill to take care of them PLUS pay someone to watch the kids 24 hours a day 2) taking away someones welfare doesnt mean they stop doing drugs, what WILL happen is those people turning to crime (most likely violent) to now get money to pay for their habit.

in the same state where this occurs

God forbid we feed the homeless, it's not like it is in the Bible or nothing
Three arrested, accused of illegally feeding homeless
Orlando police say they violated a city ordinance restricting the feedings.

Members of Orlando Food Not Bombs were arrested Wednesday when police said they violated a city ordinance by feeding the homeless in Lake Eola Park.

Jessica Cross, 24, Benjamin Markeson, 49, and Jonathan "Keith" McHenry, 54, were arrested at 6:10 p.m. on a charge of violating the ordinance restricting group feedings in public parks. McHenry is a co-founder of the international Food Not Bombs movement, which began in the early 1980s.

The group lost a court battle in April, clearing the way for the city to enforce the ordinance. It requires groups to obtain a permit and limits each group to two permits per year for each park within a 2-mile radius of City Hall.

Arrest papers state that Cross, Markeson and McHenry helped feed 40 people Wednesday night. The ordinance applies to feedings of more than 25 people.

"They intentionally violated the statute," said Lt. Barbara Jones, an Orlando police spokeswoman.

Police waited until everyone was served to make the arrests, said Douglas Coleman, speaking for Orlando Food Not Bombs.

"They basically carted them off to jail for feeding hungry people," said Coleman, who was not present. "For them to regulate a time and place for free speech and to share food, that is unacceptable."

Orlando Food Not Bombs has been feeding the homeless breakfast on Mondays for several years and dinner on Wednesdays for five years.

Police had not enforced the ordinance while the court battle continued. The U.S. District Court of Appeals for the 11th Circuit in Atlanta ruled that city rules regulating how often large groups of people can be fed in a park do not violate the Constitution.

The penalty for violating Orlando's ordinance is 60 days in jail, a $500 fine or both.

Arrest documents state that Orlando Food Not Bombs received permits and fed more than 25 homeless people at Lake Eola Park on May 18 and 23. Coleman said the group rejected the permits.

On May 25, Orlando Food Not Bombs illegally fed a large group of homeless people, the police report states. The group on its website called for members to show up that day and defy the city ordinance, according to the report.

Officers said they found a press release on Markeson when they arrested him stating that group members planned to defy the ordinance Wednesday.

Bail was set at $250 for each person arrested. Cross and Markeson were released from jail early

Thursday. McHenry wants to stay in jail and let the legal process take its course, Coleman said.

in the same state where this occurs

God forbid we feed the homeless, it's not like it is in the Bible or nothing
Three arrested, accused of illegally feeding homeless
Orlando police say they violated a city ordinance restricting the feedings.

Members of Orlando Food Not Bombs were arrested Wednesday when police said they violated a city ordinance by feeding the homeless in Lake Eola Park.

Jessica Cross, 24, Benjamin Markeson, 49, and Jonathan "Keith" McHenry, 54, were arrested at 6:10 p.m. on a charge of violating the ordinance restricting group feedings in public parks. McHenry is a co-founder of the international Food Not Bombs movement, which began in the early 1980s.

The group lost a court battle in April, clearing the way for the city to enforce the ordinance. It requires groups to obtain a permit and limits each group to two permits per year for each park within a 2-mile radius of City Hall.

Arrest papers state that Cross, Markeson and McHenry helped feed 40 people Wednesday night. The ordinance applies to feedings of more than 25 people.

"They intentionally violated the statute," said Lt. Barbara Jones, an Orlando police spokeswoman.

Police waited until everyone was served to make the arrests, said Douglas Coleman, speaking for Orlando Food Not Bombs.

"They basically carted them off to jail for feeding hungry people," said Coleman, who was not present. "For them to regulate a time and place for free speech and to share food, that is unacceptable."

Orlando Food Not Bombs has been feeding the homeless breakfast on Mondays for several years and dinner on Wednesdays for five years.

Police had not enforced the ordinance while the court battle continued. The U.S. District Court of Appeals for the 11th Circuit in Atlanta ruled that city rules regulating how often large groups of people can be fed in a park do not violate the Constitution.

The penalty for violating Orlando's ordinance is 60 days in jail, a $500 fine or both.

Arrest documents state that Orlando Food Not Bombs received permits and fed more than 25 homeless people at Lake Eola Park on May 18 and 23. Coleman said the group rejected the permits.

On May 25, Orlando Food Not Bombs illegally fed a large group of homeless people, the police report states. The group on its website called for members to show up that day and defy the city ordinance, according to the report.

Officers said they found a press release on Markeson when they arrested him stating that group members planned to defy the ordinance Wednesday.

Bail was set at $250 for each person arrested. Cross and Markeson were released from jail early

Thursday. McHenry wants to stay in jail and let the legal process take its course, Coleman said.

So people are OK with tax dollars going to "drug dealers" who do not pay taxes. Its not coming back into the cycle. I don't care if it is FASFA, Welfare, etc.

So people are OK with tax dollars going to "drug dealers" who do not pay taxes. Its not coming back into the cycle. I don't care if it is FASFA, Welfare, etc.

Originally Posted by JuJu

this is stupid for 2 reasons. 1) if said person fails and has kids now the government has to foot the bill to take care of them PLUS pay someone to watch the kids 24 hours a day 2) taking away someones welfare doesn't mean they stop doing drugs, what WILL happen is those people turning to crime (most likely violent) to now get money to pay for their habit.
The taxpayers of Florida are already taking care of the kids anyways, so there will be little difference other than the kids not having the influence and irrational behaviors of a drug addict to deal with.  I'm not so much concerned that they are doing drugs as I am that we are willingly subsidizing their malignant habit.  People don't change until they either make a conscious effort to, or have hit rock bottom.  If you take away EVERYTHING that is important to them, many of them will be forced to change to get back what is important.

Here's another question for everyone... if we are so willing to give welfare money (your money) to people who cannot pass a drug test, how come we won't give money to the homeless person on the corner because we are afraid they will buy beer?

Originally Posted by JuJu

this is stupid for 2 reasons. 1) if said person fails and has kids now the government has to foot the bill to take care of them PLUS pay someone to watch the kids 24 hours a day 2) taking away someones welfare doesn't mean they stop doing drugs, what WILL happen is those people turning to crime (most likely violent) to now get money to pay for their habit.
The taxpayers of Florida are already taking care of the kids anyways, so there will be little difference other than the kids not having the influence and irrational behaviors of a drug addict to deal with.  I'm not so much concerned that they are doing drugs as I am that we are willingly subsidizing their malignant habit.  People don't change until they either make a conscious effort to, or have hit rock bottom.  If you take away EVERYTHING that is important to them, many of them will be forced to change to get back what is important.

Here's another question for everyone... if we are so willing to give welfare money (your money) to people who cannot pass a drug test, how come we won't give money to the homeless person on the corner because we are afraid they will buy beer?

Do you understand how ludicrous that is and what an invasion to privacy that constitutes?  And how much taxpayer money it would cost to establish and maintain such a far-reaching system?  And what about alcohol or cocaine, substances that can leave your system in a matter of a day or two, if not hours?  Do we give people a test every day?  What about people who work for corporations that get government money - their salary is being paid for or at least subsidized by the government.  Do we test every worker in a company with 2,000 workers?

I'm just trying to get an understanding of how you envision such a system to work and what type of public benefit you think it will provide.

Would it cost alot to drug test? I don't know the specific numbers so I can't say. What I will say is look at it from an ideological standpoint. Do people who are out abusing drugs deserve to receive money that will in return just go to support that habit?

I don't think they do. Call me crazy, call me whatever. There was thread made about this months ago and some NT members called me "spoiled." I'm not even close to spoiled. I just was taught don't do drugs. Period.

Do you understand how ludicrous that is and what an invasion to privacy that constitutes?  And how much taxpayer money it would cost to establish and maintain such a far-reaching system?  And what about alcohol or cocaine, substances that can leave your system in a matter of a day or two, if not hours?  Do we give people a test every day?  What about people who work for corporations that get government money - their salary is being paid for or at least subsidized by the government.  Do we test every worker in a company with 2,000 workers?

I'm just trying to get an understanding of how you envision such a system to work and what type of public benefit you think it will provide.

Would it cost alot to drug test? I don't know the specific numbers so I can't say. What I will say is look at it from an ideological standpoint. Do people who are out abusing drugs deserve to receive money that will in return just go to support that habit?

I don't think they do. Call me crazy, call me whatever. There was thread made about this months ago and some NT members called me "spoiled." I'm not even close to spoiled. I just was taught don't do drugs. Period.

Exactly, that's why we give homeless people food, not cash.

This law isn't supposed to stop people from doing drugs. You're not supposed to be doing drugs in the first place. So you're telling me that people that are already breaking the law are now going to break the law in even more heinous ways simply because they're no longer allowed to break the law?

Exactly, that's why we give homeless people food, not cash.

This law isn't supposed to stop people from doing drugs. You're not supposed to be doing drugs in the first place. So you're telling me that people that are already breaking the law are now going to break the law in even more heinous ways simply because they're no longer allowed to break the law?

To anyone who lives in Florida... any word on recalling this ++%@%@*?  I know that's not allowed under our constitution or w/e but I'm sure we can get a good number of people to sign a petition.  Whether you think this a good policy or not, its probably going to turn out to be a waste.  All this guy has done so far is get rid of anything worthwhile that the state controls.  He ran on creating jobs and all he has done so far is kill any call he's had to create them.  If you think this a good bill at the moment, it will somehow come back to bite taxpayers and I usually disagree with rashi but he made some descent points.  This is just some plot so his company can make a few extra bucks by administering these tests... He doesn't care about the well-being of anyone.  If you get caught doing drugs, the law doesn't give you a spot in a rehab facility, they just suspend your benefits for a year.  Try going a year without any income, see how long you make it.  If you get caught again after that, your benefits are suspended for three years; as to why anyone would be on welfare for three, be allowed to be on welfare for three years, is totally beyond me.  This guy is idiot who is going to leave this state in rubble once his six years are over.

And to anyone who's a college student in this "great state"... He wants to make it harder to obtain bright futures and I'm already making $300 less this year than I was last year cause of his policies.  I #@%%##! hate this guy and yeah I'm mad.
mad.gif

To anyone who lives in Florida... any word on recalling this ++%@%@*?  I know that's not allowed under our constitution or w/e but I'm sure we can get a good number of people to sign a petition.  Whether you think this a good policy or not, its probably going to turn out to be a waste.  All this guy has done so far is get rid of anything worthwhile that the state controls.  He ran on creating jobs and all he has done so far is kill any call he's had to create them.  If you think this a good bill at the moment, it will somehow come back to bite taxpayers and I usually disagree with rashi but he made some descent points.  This is just some plot so his company can make a few extra bucks by administering these tests... He doesn't care about the well-being of anyone.  If you get caught doing drugs, the law doesn't give you a spot in a rehab facility, they just suspend your benefits for a year.  Try going a year without any income, see how long you make it.  If you get caught again after that, your benefits are suspended for three years; as to why anyone would be on welfare for three, be allowed to be on welfare for three years, is totally beyond me.  This guy is idiot who is going to leave this state in rubble once his six years are over.

And to anyone who's a college student in this "great state"... He wants to make it harder to obtain bright futures and I'm already making $300 less this year than I was last year cause of his policies.  I #@%%##! hate this guy and yeah I'm mad.
mad.gif

maybe it's just me but im far more concerened with big corporations doing shady fraudulent activities that involve real money then a few poor people abusing the little handout they get.

aside from that, the money it's going to cost to do these drug screenings isn't worth it.

plus crime probably will go up as well, if you pull the plug on the little these dudes are getting on their welfare checks, what do you think their going to do to get money and take care of their habits. dudes are going to be in the street robbing and stealing.

maybe it's just me but im far more concerened with big corporations doing shady fraudulent activities that involve real money then a few poor people abusing the little handout they get.

aside from that, the money it's going to cost to do these drug screenings isn't worth it.

plus crime probably will go up as well, if you pull the plug on the little these dudes are getting on their welfare checks, what do you think their going to do to get money and take care of their habits. dudes are going to be in the street robbing and stealing.

Originally Posted by red mpls

Originally Posted by KingSuperbIV

MAN!

I;m so glad there doing this..

What they need to do is this to weed out the career welfare recipient:

Any girl that's has a baby while eon welfare needs to get cut off point blank. There should be no reason when you cant take care of your self to go have more babies.

my sister friend sits on her rear end and had 6 kids all while on welfare just to get more welfare money and foodstamps so she dont have to work anymore. Also she gets section 8 now so her rent is like $100 for a nice size house.  This is what some girls do a daily basis.

They need to cut women who get pregnant off welfare or make them have a abortion.
Theres no reason for a female to get preg up while shes on welfare

You do realize that there's a FIVE-YEAR LIFETIME LIMIT on "welfare" right?  There is no such thing as a "career welfare recipient" you clown.

Y'all are talking straight out your @$! holes
There is no limit on Food Stamps and Medicaid though. The taxpayers have to take care of her mistakes for as long as she can make them. I don't feel bad for anybody with 5-6 kids that are living off of the govt. She didn't have to have those kids there were options.

Originally Posted by red mpls

Originally Posted by KingSuperbIV

MAN!

I;m so glad there doing this..

What they need to do is this to weed out the career welfare recipient:

Any girl that's has a baby while eon welfare needs to get cut off point blank. There should be no reason when you cant take care of your self to go have more babies.

my sister friend sits on her rear end and had 6 kids all while on welfare just to get more welfare money and foodstamps so she dont have to work anymore. Also she gets section 8 now so her rent is like $100 for a nice size house.  This is what some girls do a daily basis.

They need to cut women who get pregnant off welfare or make them have a abortion.
Theres no reason for a female to get preg up while shes on welfare

You do realize that there's a FIVE-YEAR LIFETIME LIMIT on "welfare" right?  There is no such thing as a "career welfare recipient" you clown.

Y'all are talking straight out your @$! holes
There is no limit on Food Stamps and Medicaid though. The taxpayers have to take care of her mistakes for as long as she can make them. I don't feel bad for anybody with 5-6 kids that are living off of the govt. She didn't have to have those kids there were options.

The junkie scrapin change for the dollar menu
thats what he claims but the rock is what he really into
gave him a dollar anyway, cuz who knows?
Maybe the dope boy baby need some new clothes...

The junkie scrapin change for the dollar menu
thats what he claims but the rock is what he really into
gave him a dollar anyway, cuz who knows?
Maybe the dope boy baby need some new clothes...

Originally Posted by Cedric Ceballos 1995 Lakers

maybe it's just me but im far more concerned with big corporations doing shady fraudulent activities that involve real money than a few poor people abusing the little handout they get.

And that's the way the cookie crumbles

Back
Top Bottom