Funkmaster Flex disses Jay-Z live on HOT 97 + Jay-Z buying HOT 97?

The DC rap scene isn't actually bubbling right now either or has ever for that matter. NYC has a legit underground scene right now with some legit young artists that's putting out quality music.

Lol we never proclaimed to be a "hip-hop" city so if that was supposed to be an insult you're going to have to try again.

Last edited:
Lol we never proclaimed to be a "hip-hop" city so if that was supposed to be an insult you're going to have to try again.

Insult you on a messageboard because we differ in opinions about music ? Nah bro its never that serious. :lol: at chocolate city never proclaiming to be a "hip hop city" you can do better than that bro. I'm guessing because Go Go is/was your type of "sound" that is no excuse why since hip hop's inception DC has NEVER had a consistent main stream artist who is known outside of the East Coast besides Wale. Considering how much of a lame he is that's a shame

Last edited:
roll.gif
Do better than what?

DC didn't even FULLY embrace Hip-Hop until very recently. This was a GO-GO town. Every kid on every block could quote Big G from Backyard Band before they could quote Jay-Z or Nas. So bringing up DC as a rebuttal to NYC's hip hop scene being flabby and sick right now is falling on deaf ears.

It's ok bro. Everything comes back around...one day...you guys will return to glory but right now it's not happening.

I like you as a poster , you consistently drop insightful **** in a multitude of threads so I'm just gonna chalk this up as us having different opinions and leave it at that.

The DC rap scene isn't actually bubbling right now either or has ever for that matter. NYC has a legit underground scene right now with some legit young artists that's putting out quality music.
PM me some artists to look up/ look out for.

**** Flex, still salty about that 'Pac diss

I like you as a poster , you consistently drop insightful **** in a multitude of threads so I'm just gonna chalk this up as us having different opinions and leave it at that.
laugh.gif
 Man we on the same page tho.

I'm telling you NYC gon be back on top man. 

FTR...I love NYC. I just like giving ya'll ****** a hard time on here.

roll.gif
Do better than what?

DC didn't even FULLY embrace Hip-Hop until very recently. This was a GO-GO town. Every kid on every block could quote Big G from Backyard Band before they could quote Jay-Z or Nas. So bringing up DC as a rebuttal to NYC's hip hop scene being flabby and sick right now is falling on deaf ears.

It's ok bro. Everything comes back around...one day...you guys will return to glory but right now it's not happening.
lets not forget..Doing the Butt... Sexy Sexy... Latoya got a big ole butt.. Tasha got a big ole butt.. thats the only thing that comes to mind when i hear GOGO..lol Every GOGO beat soudns the same.. its like regaton.. but regatton is worse.. i dont know what they say..

:rofl: Do better than what?

The irony. Dissing NY rap, but every area of the country has heard and dismissed that pots, pans and garbage can lids repetitive crap. You all think it's because it's your thing, no it's because it's not good.

I remember when I first went to college and dudes brought me to a DC Party and I found out they were going to play that all night. A kid was pissed. :lol:

See how they be in their feelings?

I'm well aware how people outside of DC feel about go-go...so why would you try to make this a dc go-go vs nyc hip hop thing?

People outside of DC don't like go-go.

NYC Hip-Hop is looking flabby and sick.

Both are true. You have no debate here with me. 

Move around.

Last edited:

I'm well aware how people outside of DC feel about go-go...so why would you try to make this a go vs nyc hip hop thing?

Move around.
i missed this one.. someone tried to make Go Go vs NYC ... thats not even logical. completely different styles.. thats like down south rap vs new orleans bounce music

I'm well aware how people outside of DC feel about go-go...so why would you try to make this a dc go-go vs nyc hip hop thing?

Move around.

NYC hip hop is still above what DC has ever done with rap or go-go.

Thank God for Marvin Gaye :\

NYC hip hop is still above what DC has ever done with rap or go-go.

Thank God for Marvin Gaye
ohwell.gif
Look at you still trying to get a go-go vs hip-hop debate going 
laugh.gif

You New Yorkers sure don't go down without swinging...that's for sure. 

Doing the butt.. all night long......

Spike Lee helped the world hear go-go and it stayed local

The world heard rap, and it went national and international.

Same with what was hot in Chicago, LA, Houston, Atlanta, Miami, Bay Area, Memphis, Philly...

DC...critckets

Look at you still trying to get a go-go vs hip-hop debate going :lol:

You New Yorkers sure don't go down without swinging...that's for sure.

:nthat:

Last edited:

Same with what was hot in Chicago, LA, Houston, Atlanta, Miami, Bay Area, Memphis, Philly...

DC...critckets
nthat.gif
yep i remember that video and that song whenever im in that area.. i hear that song randomly.. but yeah my dc friend i always sing that song to tease him about go go.. oo yeaeeeyeahyyy..lol only reason regatoon is popular was because there weere like 1000 artists doing the same thing..

Honestly, Jay wasnt really popping nowhere but New York until after Money Cash **** and Hard Knock Life.  That mainstream exposure is really what got him on, the turn of the century/millenium was a huge time in hip hop, and Jay was in the middle of it.  He has profited well and had some really good albums between 96-03.  That was his prime.  But without the business and financial success, its really hard to put him ON FLOW ALONE on that "top 5 dead or alive" argument.

A lot of people compare Jay to other rappers, and a lot of that IMO is because Jay Z is the most popular, due to his mainstream and business success, think about it, with Big Pac Nas Eminem Pun Kiss Rakim can you really say he was better than any of them as an emcee, or do you have to put his success into the argument as well?

DC...critckets
:nthat:

Shoutout to you for showin the Bay Area some love [emoji]128076[/emoji] i feel we almost never get our props.

Honestly, Jay wasnt really popping nowhere but New York until after Money Cash **** and Hard Knock Life.  That mainstream exposure is really what got him on, the turn of the century/millenium was a huge time in hip hop, and Jay was in the middle of it.  He has profited well and had some really good albums between 96-03.  That was his prime.  But without the business and financial success, its really hard to put him ON FLOW ALONE on that "top 5 dead or alive" argument.

A lot of people compare Jay to other rappers, and a lot of that IMO is because Jay Z is the most popular, due to his mainstream and business success, think about it, with Big Pac Nas Eminem Pun Kiss Rakim can you really say he was better than any of them as an emcee, or do you have to put his success into the argument as well?
Also, i hear you on the Jay Z thing. I wasnt around for all of that as i was born in 95, but i agree i dont think Jay is as good as everyone proclaims him to be. Im not saying he's whack but i feel like he pretty much was in the right place at the right time type of situation.

Last edited:
Shoutout to you for showin the Bay Area some love [emoji]128076[/emoji] i feel we almost never get our props.

Also, i hear you on the Jay Z thing. I wasnt around for all of that as i was born in 95, but i agree i dont think Jay is as good as everyone proclaims him to be. Im not saying he's whack but i feel like he pretty much was in the right place at the right time type of situation.

Don't get me wrong Jay z is good but that's exactly how I always felt about him tho, just perfect timing

havent been in here since the first few pages

did this escalate anywhere any updates or did it just die down?

I still have a "Best of DC Gogo" CD that belonged to my sister.

It has the Budweiser frog song on it.

My cousin used to love gogo music, I can't front some of it ain't too bad, better than Baltimore club music and I'm from Baltimore. I see different states like Baltimore music tho

Back
Top Bottom