Furnishing your Apartment/Condo/Home

From necessities to luxuries, down to the finest detail. What are things to 'set off'' a bachelor pad.

LCD tv, check.

Discuss...

At my old apt all I had was a dining room set for two and no living room furniture, just a couple of recliners. It didn't matter though cuz my room was setup nice and I rarely entertained guest except for females so I'd take them to my room and use the "my room is more comfortable" excuse.
laugh.gif

The right wall color, fur rug, comfy couch, fire place. The LCD TV is for other dudes. Chicks don't care if you have a big screen. A big tub gets themevery time. It doesn't even have to have jets.

Originally Posted by juggy4805

The right wall color, fur rug, comfy couch, fire place. The LCD TV is for other dudes. Chicks don't care if you have a big screen. A big tub gets them every time. It doesn't even have to have jets.
This.

my next addition will be a small wet bar fully stocked with a variety of liq, mixers, and nice glasses

Good thread. A lot of people dont think about it, and it's kinda high maintainance, but an aquarium adds a lot to a room/house. Also, dont forget abouthaving dope lighting and some sort of art scheme. My pops had our crib laced with African art (real stuff, no TJ Max $10.99 specials), aquariums, crystals andall that. It'll set ur crib apart from the rest.

Originally Posted by ATLien Seeko

Good thread. A lot of people dont think about it, and it's kinda high maintainance, but an aquarium adds a lot to a room/house. Also, dont forget about having dope lighting and some sort of art scheme. My pops had our crib laced with African art (real stuff, no TJ Max $10.99 specials), aquariums, crystals and all that. It'll set ur crib apart from the rest.
always loved aquariums but have no idea about cost and upkeep. any input?

also where do you stay in atl?

College Park. Old crib was in Fayetteville.

I dont have any input as far as maintainance goes because pops always took care of it, but, but I can tell you that there's a lot of upkeep! They'remad expensive, and it's not furniature, it's more of another hobby than anything, so you gotta consider that...

College Park. Old crib was in Fayetteville.

I dont have any input as far as maintainance goes because pops always took care of it, but, but I can tell you that there's a lot of upkeep! They're mad expensive, and it's not furniature, it's more of another hobby than anything, so you gotta consider that...
i love how they look but might not be worth the time/effort.

any suggestions for local spots to pick up some artwork for the walls?

What's your style? Afrocentric, urban, etc.?
i don't really know how to label my style...not afrocentric. its probably safe to say that i like urban. i like city skyline art if thatmeans anything

i just like a clean, fresh look. my walls are a light tan color and the area rug in my living room has deep reds and olive greens. should i try to getartwork that incorporates the same colors?

i would like to frame my Jordan "WINGS" poster

op, i started getting things off craigslist.

i checked the moving sale's, seems like folks always move in the damn winter for the new year.

goodluck with that.

Originally Posted by Baller23217

i don't really know how to label my style...

i just like a clean, fresh look. my walls are a light tan color and the area rug in my living room has deep reds and olive greens. should i try to get artwork that incorporates the same colors?

I'd say your style is contemporary. Look for some nice pieces with clean shapes and lines that accent whatever you have going on in your place. It'skinda hard to describe if you dont have a clue, but if you post a pic, I could probably help you out... Just think about it kinda like dressing yourself... Andfor the Wings poster, it's black and white, right? Get a dope black or matte silver frame for it with a dual boarder (dont know the correct terms for allof it...) and dont go cheap or it'll be obvious.

I think for an appartment, I'd make mine look similar to Martins from his show.
laugh.gif
I know, I know, but it was always a dope lookin chill spot to me! Cribwould be completely different.

Originally Posted by Baller23217

i don't really know how to label my style...

i just like a clean, fresh look. my walls are a light tan color and the area rug in my living room has deep reds and olive greens. should i try to get artwork that incorporates the same colors?

I'd say your style is contemporary. Look for some nice pieces with clean shapes and lines that accent whatever you have going on in your place. It's kinda hard to describe if you dont have a clue, but if you post a pic, I could probably help you out... Just think about it kinda like dressing yourself... And for the Wings poster, it's black and white, right? Get a dope black or matte silver frame for it with a dual boarder (dont know the correct terms for all of it...) and dont go cheap or it'll be obvious.

I think for an appartment, I'd make mine look similar to Martins from his show.
laugh.gif
I know, I know, but it was always a dope lookin chill spot to me! Crib would be completely different.
Contemporary is probably the right way to describe it.

Ya, it's the black and white wings poster. i'll post pics of the condo in this thread when i get home tonight.

where (if anywhere) can you purchase Kaws artwork?

Originally Posted by juggy4805

The right wall color, fur rug, comfy couch, fire place. The LCD TV is for other dudes. Chicks don't care if you have a big screen. A big tub gets them every time. It doesn't even have to have jets.

Big TVS
pimp.gif
there's a reason our set up cost more than my engagementring
laugh.gif

ima actualy getting my own place soon.

can anyone recommend some websites where i can some 'classy' wall art and/or photography? much appreciated

Dirtylicious wrote:
personally...I wouldn't hang the Wings poster up.
looks a bit juvenile

All depends on his style though. For an apartment(short term), I'd say do whatever you want. Have fun with it as long as it's incorporated well, butyou definitely have to step it up for a house. I mean... You dont have to, but I would...

Originally Posted by Dirtylicious

looks a bit juvenile

that was my only concern - that posters are...."immature" i guess.

Seeko - i own the condo

Baller23217 wrote:
Dirtylicious wrote:
looks a bit juvenile

that was my only concern - that posters are...."immature" i guess.

Seeko - i own the condo

Word? I'd skip the Wings poster then.. Unless you're putting it in a sports themed entertainment room or something like that.

Get a female to decorate it for you. Can't go wrong honestly. Other females will credit you for having great skill and it probably looks better thananything MOST of us will do.

Some dudes are creative enough, many of us aren't.

^So true DCAllAmerican. I have a friend who was only 'friends' with this girl and she painted and re-did his whole kitchen, no joke. And for free.

If I may make a suggestion to some of you guys, buy art prints or even poster prints of some classic artists' pieces and have them framed and matted. Orhave your own photography framed and matted. If nothing else they both are conversation starters when you have people over and it shows you know more about theworld than Jordan's wings (just kidding). I have a Van Gogh poster (8.5 x 11) framed of one of his lesser-known works that I got in his museum in Amsterdamand it always gets talked about when people see it. Same goes with your own photography: I've got lots of pics from around Europe I've taken thatpeople seem to be keen with. That said, I also don't think the Wings poster is out of question, IF you get it framed and matted nicely. I have the TigerWoods "Masterpiece" poster autographed by him, and with a black frame and red matte, and people freak out when they see it; however, the poster is apainted reprint, so it does look like artwork.

While we're on the topic, is there anywhere besides Ikea to get modern furniture at a decent price? I keep hearing Ikea's stuff isn't thatcomfortable, but I love the modern look?

JDB1523 wrote:
While we're on the topic, is there anywhere besides Ikea to get modern furniture at a decent price? I keep hearing Ikea's stuff isn't that comfortable, but I love the modern look?

Probably not, but I guess it depends... What city are you in? Try Craigslist, you might get lucky... Browse shops around your city and be innovative. You wouldbe surprised how you can make old cheap stuff look really, really good...

Back
Top Bottom