Furnishing your Apartment/Condo/Home

Originally Posted by ooIRON MANoo

baller23217 check out my dude Justin Bua:

http://www.justinbua.com/

Dude's contemporary/urban work is
eek.gif
. I have some of his pieces.
I do like his art and was actually considering the one called "the block"...especially cuz it would coordinate with the colors of theliving room rug.

I remember back in college my boy had "The DJ" justin boa pic up and i always liked it.

I'm considering this sofa from Bo Cocepts and painting the walls a light Grey.

2646372980_8d4e43e819.jpg

The legs match my crate and barrel coffee table.
NewEraCoffeeTable3Q

And the West elm floor mirror.
img92m.jpg

Ikea.

Local furniture spots.

Got a nice bed frame for 300 even... it's selling for 2300 on that DWR site Dirty Posted...

pimp.gif
!!!!

How much art is too much though? I've postponed putting anything up (keep in mind i've been living here for 2 years now) in my living room and bedroombecause 1) i want to fall in love with something before i put it up 2) i know if i put something up i end up disliking, i'd be too lazy to replace it. myoffice is well decorated and furnished, but the rest of my place is lacking. i'd like to get an idea of what "too much" is before i start trulydecorating.

Trying to set off my living room like Tommy's in Belly. White/black modern theme is ill.
Most likely will be doing all my shopping on craigslist though
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by Nawth21

Originally Posted by juggy4805

The right wall color, fur rug, comfy couch, fire place. The LCD TV is for other dudes. Chicks don't care if you have a big screen. A big tub gets them every time. It doesn't even have to have jets.

Big TVS
pimp.gif
there's a reason our set up cost more than my engagement ring
laugh.gif

I dont know why you would do that....TV's get outdated every single year while the ring lasts forever

Originally Posted by Hoosier Bad Boy 11

Seeko could you point me in the right direction for some African art I want to do my living room with a theme or black music and art from Africa to the states .......something along those lines

peAce

Find a dealer. Stores are usually going to be overpriced and may not be authentic. My dad met a guy from the Black Arts Festival here in Atlanta and formed aclose friendship with him. He made frequent trips to and from Africa to get the art himself so everything he had was imported by him. He would come to our criband stay when he came to Atlanta, so he always hooked us up with crazy deals and sometimes free art. I really should get some photos of our stuff because wedefinitely have some gems.

So with that said, from my experience/observation... Private dealer is the best way to go. Hit some art festivals and find some good dealers.

Originally Posted by ATLien Seeko

Originally Posted by Hoosier Bad Boy 11

Seeko could you point me in the right direction for some African art I want to do my living room with a theme or black music and art from Africa to the states .......something along those lines

peAce

Find a dealer. Stores are usually going to be overpriced and may not be authentic. My dad met a guy from the Black Arts Festival here in Atlanta and formed a close friendship with him. He made frequent trips to and from Africa to get the art himself so everything he had was imported by him. He would come to our crib and stay when he came to Atlanta, so he always hooked us up with crazy deals and sometimes free art. I really should get some photos of our stuff because we definitely have some gems.

So with that said, from my experience/observation... Private dealer is the best way to go. Hit some art festivals and find some good dealers.
Thanks bro.............I'm gonna be sure to hit up the Detroit festival in the summertime

peAce

Originally Posted by calibeebee

Originally Posted by DAYTONA 5000

When I get my own spot, I want one of those beds that are really low, like they had their legs sawed off.
Anyone know what style of bed that is called?
Malms are pretty low to the ground and are on the cheap
8744_1227135434.jpg

I had this bed and once you put it together that's it that's all. It's particle board so there's no taking it apart and put it back togetherat all. It's a decent bed though. I will NEVER do platform beds again though.

I don't think I'd be comfortable with a bed made of particle board.

if there's any furniture to invest $ in.. it would be the bed for me. (and sofa)

Originally Posted by Da R Entertainment

DAYTONA 5000 wrote:

When I get my own spot, I want one of those beds that are really low, like they had their legs sawed off.

8744_1227135434.jpg

I had this bed and once you put it together that's it that's all. It's particle board so there's no taking it apart and put it back together at all. It's a decent bed though. I will NEVER do platform beds again though.

Ive had this bed for 3 years. for 100 bucks you can't go wrong

8744_1227135434.jpg

I had this bed and once you put it together that's it that's all. It's particle board so there's no taking it apart and put it back together at all. It's a decent bed though. I will NEVER do platform beds again though.
Why won't you ever go with platform beds again, just curious cause I plan on getting my first.

8744_1227135434.jpg

I had one myself, fell apart within the year. Quality really goes a long way with platform beds. Do not mess with particle boards.

I work in real estate, see A LOT of different styles of decor and I think I have a pretty good feel for what looks good, regardless of what your style is.

For the dude above with the Wings poster...I guess it depends on how old you are and what your purpose is for the poster/what type of room you want to put itin, but my advice would be to skip it unless you have a separate room that you're designating as a sports themed/media room.

I think it's a good idea to shop around, check out the pieces in person, get an idea of quality and materials used, then make a judgment if it's worththat price TO YOU and how much use you'll get out of it. If something doesn't last, you'll end up spending the same, if not more than if you hadjust bought a quality piece of furniture.

Look through magazines, websites or real estate listings, particularly of higher end homes or just properties that fit your taste, and get ideas from that. Youcan always look for cheaper alternatives but keep it within the same feel.

You can get some decent quality stuff even at IKEA or Target...but they've also got items that'll fall apart real quick. Most of my furniture is fromPottery Barn, I like the style of it, it's classic and has and will last me a while...but the desk that I'm on right now is from Target and has beenpretty damn solid for the $100 I paid for it plus it looks good and it's functional. I also made my own headboard, used padding and a microsuede slipcoverfrom Pottery Barn that I got for like $20 off of eBay. It cost me about $60 altogether and the same headboard would've otherwise been a few hundred.

I personally think it's best to keep it simple, don't go crazy with too many pieces, an overwhelming amount of art or wall hangings, etc. If it'syour own place, a fresh coat of paint and some mouldings (crown especially) make a huge difference.

I could type more but I'm no expert.

im getting a decorator when i get my own place, i def want a nice looking place but i dont have the eye or patience or interest to do it myself.

ain't gon' lie....

I just basically got a bunch of cheap !!!% in my spot right now
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
But I had to start from SCRATCH, cuz this is my first time on my own
ohwell.gif

My next house though, I'mma decorate it for real, for real.

Originally Posted by DCAllAmerican

Get a female to decorate it for you. Can't go wrong honestly. Other females will credit you for having great skill and it probably looks better than anything MOST of us will do.

Some dudes are creative enough, many of us aren't.
This

Back
Top Bottom