Giving money to the homeless..Yes or No?

I did once. But just so the dude could get out of my face. It just depends on if I have enough to give. It's tough out there.

I did once. But just so the dude could get out of my face. It just depends on if I have enough to give. It's tough out there.

You wasted a whole bunch of time, dog... I like how you wrote
Originally Posted by Theta

Take your notion of giving to the homeless and extend it to the extreme. Lets say that all of society just took acid one day and thought that badmoon was actually intelligent. They then took his advice and all decided to give to the homeless. What would happen? 

When I clearly wrote
I AM NOT saying that begging is a good thing or even acceptable... but don't categorize all homeless people like that. Many of them are brilliant, very kind, funny, generous, and good people. Many of them are not lazy, but rather they just need a good break.

So I don't really need your economic expertise, as I am already aware that giving dollars to bums is not a sustainable source of income for them nor is it guaranteed that they will use it on something essential.
What I WAS saying was that I didn't like the way that you assumed all homeless were lazy and/or fiends. My stories were meant as examples of my discovery that many homeless people are smart, capable, resourceful, and kind - breaking the stereotypes that many people hold. I'm no expert, but I spent a month or so in different soup kitchens and shelters across the US learning more about their situations, the system to recovery, and some very interesting personal stories.

I'm sorry for coming at you with such aggression (and assuming Theta was a frat reference), but visiting those kitchens and shelters really touched me emotionally and caused me to become impatient towards people who may assume that every homeless person is the scum of the earth.

You wasted a whole bunch of time, dog... I like how you wrote
Originally Posted by Theta

Take your notion of giving to the homeless and extend it to the extreme. Lets say that all of society just took acid one day and thought that badmoon was actually intelligent. They then took his advice and all decided to give to the homeless. What would happen? 

When I clearly wrote
I AM NOT saying that begging is a good thing or even acceptable... but don't categorize all homeless people like that. Many of them are brilliant, very kind, funny, generous, and good people. Many of them are not lazy, but rather they just need a good break.

So I don't really need your economic expertise, as I am already aware that giving dollars to bums is not a sustainable source of income for them nor is it guaranteed that they will use it on something essential.
What I WAS saying was that I didn't like the way that you assumed all homeless were lazy and/or fiends. My stories were meant as examples of my discovery that many homeless people are smart, capable, resourceful, and kind - breaking the stereotypes that many people hold. I'm no expert, but I spent a month or so in different soup kitchens and shelters across the US learning more about their situations, the system to recovery, and some very interesting personal stories.

I'm sorry for coming at you with such aggression (and assuming Theta was a frat reference), but visiting those kitchens and shelters really touched me emotionally and caused me to become impatient towards people who may assume that every homeless person is the scum of the earth.

how about if you give money to same homeless person ? i have been doing that for last couple months, funny thing is, i don't think he remembers me
laugh.gif

how about if you give money to same homeless person ? i have been doing that for last couple months, funny thing is, i don't think he remembers me
laugh.gif

Back
Top Bottom