GOD DID NOT CREATE THE UNIVERSE (says my man Steve)

nat turner

Banned
[h1]God did not create the universe, says Hawking[/h1]http://us.rd.yahoo.com/dailynews/reuters/brand/SIG=pd7i95/*<a href=/www.reuters.com">http://www.reuters.com">

By Michael Holden Michael Holden – Thu Sep 2, 9:08 am ET

LONDON (Reuters) – God did not create the universe and the "Big Bang" was an inevitable consequence of the laws of physics, the eminent British theoretical physicist Stephen Hawking argues in a new book.

In "The Grand Design," co-authored with U.S. physicist Leonard Mlodinow, Hawking says a new series of theories made a creator of the universe redundant, according to the Times newspaper which published extracts on Thursday.

"Because there is a law such as gravity, the universe can and will create itself from nothing. Spontaneous creation is the reason there is something rather than nothing, why the universe exists, why we exist," Hawking writes.

"It is not necessary to invoke God to light the blue touch paper and set the universe going."

Hawking, 68, who won global recognition with his 1988 book "A Brief History of Time," an account of the origins of the universe, is renowned for his work on black holes, cosmology and quantum gravity.

Since 1974, the scientist has worked on marrying the two cornerstones of modern physics -- Albert Einstein's General Theory of Relativity, which concerns gravity and large-scale phenomena, and quantum theory, which covers subatomic particles.

His latest comments suggest he has broken away from previous views he has expressed on religion. Previously, he wrote that the laws of physics meant it was simply not necessary to believe that God had intervened in the Big Bang.

He wrote in A Brief History ... "If we discover a complete theory, it would be the ultimate triumph of human reason -- for then we should know the mind of God."

In his latest book, he said the 1992 discovery of a planet orbiting another star other than the Sun helped deconstruct the view of the father of physics Isaac Newton that the universe could not have arisen out of chaos but was created by God.

"That makes the coincidences of our planetary conditions -- the single Sun, the lucky combination of Earth-Sun distance and solar mass, far less remarkable, and far less compelling evidence that the Earth was carefully designed just to please us human beings," he writes.

Hawking, who is only able to speak through a computer-generated voice synthesizer, has a neuro muscular dystrophy that has progressed over the years and left him almost completely paralyzed.

He began suffering the disease in his early 20s but went on to establish himself as one of the world's leading scientific authorities, and has also made guest appearances in "Star Trek" and the cartoons "Futurama" and "The Simpsons."

Last year he announced he was stepping down as Cambridge University's Lucasian Professor of Mathematics, a position once held by Newton and one he had held since 1979.

"The Grand Design" is due to go on sale next week.

(Editing by Steve Addison)

[h1]God did not create the universe, says Hawking[/h1]http://us.rd.yahoo.com/dailynews/reuters/brand/SIG=pd7i95/*<a href=/www.reuters.com">http://www.reuters.com">

By Michael Holden Michael Holden – Thu Sep 2, 9:08 am ET

LONDON (Reuters) – God did not create the universe and the "Big Bang" was an inevitable consequence of the laws of physics, the eminent British theoretical physicist Stephen Hawking argues in a new book.

In "The Grand Design," co-authored with U.S. physicist Leonard Mlodinow, Hawking says a new series of theories made a creator of the universe redundant, according to the Times newspaper which published extracts on Thursday.

"Because there is a law such as gravity, the universe can and will create itself from nothing. Spontaneous creation is the reason there is something rather than nothing, why the universe exists, why we exist," Hawking writes.

"It is not necessary to invoke God to light the blue touch paper and set the universe going."

Hawking, 68, who won global recognition with his 1988 book "A Brief History of Time," an account of the origins of the universe, is renowned for his work on black holes, cosmology and quantum gravity.

Since 1974, the scientist has worked on marrying the two cornerstones of modern physics -- Albert Einstein's General Theory of Relativity, which concerns gravity and large-scale phenomena, and quantum theory, which covers subatomic particles.

His latest comments suggest he has broken away from previous views he has expressed on religion. Previously, he wrote that the laws of physics meant it was simply not necessary to believe that God had intervened in the Big Bang.

He wrote in A Brief History ... "If we discover a complete theory, it would be the ultimate triumph of human reason -- for then we should know the mind of God."

In his latest book, he said the 1992 discovery of a planet orbiting another star other than the Sun helped deconstruct the view of the father of physics Isaac Newton that the universe could not have arisen out of chaos but was created by God.

"That makes the coincidences of our planetary conditions -- the single Sun, the lucky combination of Earth-Sun distance and solar mass, far less remarkable, and far less compelling evidence that the Earth was carefully designed just to please us human beings," he writes.

Hawking, who is only able to speak through a computer-generated voice synthesizer, has a neuro muscular dystrophy that has progressed over the years and left him almost completely paralyzed.

He began suffering the disease in his early 20s but went on to establish himself as one of the world's leading scientific authorities, and has also made guest appearances in "Star Trek" and the cartoons "Futurama" and "The Simpsons."

Last year he announced he was stepping down as Cambridge University's Lucasian Professor of Mathematics, a position once held by Newton and one he had held since 1979.

"The Grand Design" is due to go on sale next week.

(Editing by Steve Addison)

Lawrence Krauss gives a talk on our current picture of the universe, how it will end, and how it could have come from nothing. Krauss is the author of many bestselling books on Physics and Cosmology, including "The Physics of Star Trek."

The kind of physics in the article is explained in this video and is easy enough fore most college students.

It is an hour long, but I found it very interesting and informative. It was also pretty easy to follow considering I've only taken one college-level physics course. It's the latest on what we know about our universe. Watch this with an inquiring mind; you will realize just how insignificant we are.

Originally Posted by SoLeCiTy

I said this like 5 years ago.. so (LATE PASS FOR MY MAN STEVE)
laugh.gif

oh and i knew this would be posted on NT when i was reading it on Yahoo

Originally Posted by SoLeCiTy

I said this like 5 years ago.. so (LATE PASS FOR MY MAN STEVE)
laugh.gif

oh and i knew this would be posted on NT when i was reading it on Yahoo

Lawrence Krauss gives a talk on our current picture of the universe, how it will end, and how it could have come from nothing. Krauss is the author of many bestselling books on Physics and Cosmology, including "The Physics of Star Trek."

The kind of physics in the article is explained in this video and is easy enough fore most college students.

It is an hour long, but I found it very interesting and informative. It was also pretty easy to follow considering I've only taken one college-level physics course. It's the latest on what we know about our universe. Watch this with an inquiring mind; you will realize just how insignificant we are.

It's pretty crazy to think about. Where did the construct of existence come from? Mind boggling stuff.

It's pretty crazy to think about. Where did the construct of existence come from? Mind boggling stuff.

If we are going to teach creation science as an alternative to evolution, then we should also teach the stork theory as an alternative to biological reproduction.

If we are going to teach creation science as an alternative to evolution, then we should also teach the stork theory as an alternative to biological reproduction.

Originally Posted by jeenewed

Originally Posted by rck2sactown

He's just mad...

Basically.

How can there be gravity if there is nothing, Mr Hawkings? Answer THAT.

ROFL

roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

you actually think you know more about physics than STEPHEN MFING HAWKING????

go watch the video I posted. Start at 20 minutes. It answers your question.

everyone one should watch the whole video.

Originally Posted by jeenewed

Originally Posted by rck2sactown

He's just mad...

Basically.

How can there be gravity if there is nothing, Mr Hawkings? Answer THAT.

ROFL

roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

you actually think you know more about physics than STEPHEN MFING HAWKING????

go watch the video I posted. Start at 20 minutes. It answers your question.

everyone one should watch the whole video.

Hawking is amazing. On a serious note, and not to thread jack...
You think Hawking is that smart because his condition keeps him virtually immobile and books were like the only thing for him?

Or you think he would have been smarter with mobility, like being able to get to colleges speeches and collaborations and stuff faster?  

I've always wondered this.

Back
Top Bottom