Going on vacation to San Francisco

I went to San Francisco a few years ago and really enjoyed it. Saw a Giants game, went to Alcatraz, and to a few museums.  If you want to go just outside of San Francisco you can go across the Golden Gate Bridge and into northern California to see the Redwood forests too.

FYI - I think the Museum of Modern Art will be closed since they're beginning a renovation.

Check out the De Young.

Thanks, Fogstarr for the pics. I already follow your blog :lol:

What do you guys think of these Hotels? Is it in a great neighborhood with lots to do? Nice decor? Overall fun and great atmosphere?

BTW: All these hotels are saying I will get a room with a view of the Golden Gate Bridge

1. The Palace Hotel by Montgomery

2. Mandarin Oriental on Sansome Street

3. The Westin St. Francis on Powel Street

4. Harbor Court on Steuart Street

5. Hotel Vitale on Mission Street

6. Mariott Marquis on Mission Street

7. Argonaut Hotel on Jefferson Street

8. Hotel Nikko on Mason Street

Any other hotels I should look into?

Just in terms of location, I would rank your list like this:

1. Hotel Vitale - Next to Embarcadero and all the Piers.  Pretty quiet area at night and has a lot of people during the day.

2. Argonaut Hotel - Next to Ghirardelli Square (chocolate), McCormick & Kuletos (good seafood restaurant), In-N-Out (fast food), Franklin Bowles Galleries (if you're into art), and some tourist shops.  This is a main tourist area because of the shops and restaurants.

3. Harbor Court - Similar area to Hotel Vitale, but further away from the Piers and closer to AT&T Park, which a nice area to check out.  You can check it out in about 30-45 minutes, not much to do or see aside from the ballpark, bowling, and some restaurants.  So don't focus too heavily here.

4. Mandarin Oriental - In between Embarcadero and downtown, closer to Embarcadero and the Transamerica building. Not too far from Westfield Mall and Union Square. Noise shouldn't be bad at all since the major bars and clubs are about a mile away in downtown and it's a bit removed from the main areas of Embarcadero.

5. The Westin St. Francis - This is right next to Union Square, Westfield Mall, Niketown, Apple Store, Barneys, Macy's, and other shops.  It's a really busy area and near bars and clubs, like Ruby Skye, Slide, and Rickhouse.  Since you're looking to relax, this wouldn't be the best area, but you'll probably spend a decent amount of time around here anyway.

6. Marriott Marquis - In downtown as well.  Near the Metreon theater, if you want to catch a movie, and Westfield Mall.  Also near the San Francisco Museum and Historical Society.  A little less noisy than the area of The Westin, but still has a decent amount of traffic.  If there's a Parade that weekend then this is a good spot since it's right off Market Street, where the parade will go through, and it's a short walk there, so you don't have to worry about getting back to your place.

7. Hotel Nikko - Decent amount of traffic near Hotel Nikko during the day, but it shouldn't be noisy at night.  A couple of blocks away from the Westfield Mall and Market Street, definitely walkable though.

8. The Palace Hotel - Not too far away from Union Square or Westfield Mall, and it's right off Market Street, but also tucked away from them.  Given the other hotels in downtown, this might be the most secluded and quietest.  Not too much traffic going through during the day and probably less at night.  You might have a better time closer to the main attractions than away from them.

Dont stay at the Westin St. Francis on Powell.

Could you elaborate for OP?  Might help other NT'ers as well.  I haven't heard anything bad from friends who've stayed there and I've stayed at a nice Westin in Hawaii...

Last edited:
OP Are you coming alone? with friends? GF?

But I would say go to Dolores Park. Especially if its nice. Look into the Jazz Festival and I think First Friday/Art Murmur is happening when you're here but it's in Oakland.
The Exploratorium just opened on the Embarcadero. If you're into it. I say grab some :smokin and hit it up.
If you're with a GF. I say Napa would be nice to go to. Check out Thomas Keller's Ad Hoc. $50 for a 4 course meal is a great deal.
Someone said to stay away from the Tenderloin but honestly it's not that bad. Just a lot of crackheads. If you like asian noodle restaurants, check out Turtle Tower or Hai Ky. They're right next to each other.

if you're into craft beer, go to speakeasy ales

I second that. Love their beer. Too bad the brewery is only open once a year and is near Hunter's Point.

Also this place is kind of cool, even though the food is whatever. It's in the Mission and it's in a warehouse and it can have nice crowd at times:

l.jpg

http://www.southernpacificbrewing.com/
http://www.yelp.com/biz/southern-pacific-brewing-san-francisco?start=40

Stay at the Marriott Marquis or the W. Centrally located, not a bad neighborhood, tons of food and some late night spots. Dont stay in the financial district. Catch a Giants game. Best park in all the MLB. Within walking distance. Head to Framer Browns Little Skillet and get some fried chick and waffles and walk over to the bay and sit and eat. Hit up Toronado for good beers. The mission can be fun, joints like double dutch. If you're into nicer places theres Harlot a couple blocks from those hotels. Skip Fisherman's Wharf. Hit up the deYoung. Every Thursday the Academy of Sciences stays open late with a full bar. Its called Nightlife and is pretty awesome.

OP Are you coming alone? with friends? GF?

But I would say go to Dolores Park. Especially if its nice. Look into the Jazz Festival and I think First Friday/Art Murmur is happening when you're here but it's in Oakland.
The Exploratorium just opened on the Embarcadero. If you're into it. I say grab some :smokin and hit it up.
If you're with a GF. I say Napa would be nice to go to. Check out Thomas Keller's Ad Hoc. $50 for a 4 course meal is a great deal.
Someone said to stay away from the Tenderloin but honestly it's not that bad. Just a lot of crackheads. If you like asian noodle restaurants, check out Turtle Tower or Hai Ky. They're right next to each other.

lol, TL is bad. If thats your hood then I understand but I never had a good reason to chill there. Full of homeless people and crackheads. Theres nothing much to see and the every corner smells like piss. Whole area looks shady to me.

i was gonna make the exact same thread :lol:. also going for a week 3rd week of july. so this is gonna be of some help.

Go to telegrapth in Berkeley and of course if you in the bay go buy some weed. No need to go to the Dispensary most dudes in the east bay will have it :lol:

gonna need some info on the 2nd half of this quote. inbox me. :nerd: :nerd: :nerd:

pm me if you need that :pimp:

Norcal Grub Thread is a great resource if you tryna find the crackspots

Dress warm, SF summers ain't nothing to truck with

i urge you to have a burrito out here, cuz all that Qdoba stuff in NY ain't the same.

Went there 3 weeks ago, can't wait to head back. :pimp:
There's this place called Biergarten that's really dope. It's like an outdoor bar with
A bunch of German beers on tap.

Last edited:
Been thinking about vacationing in San Fran for the weekend after my birthday. Turning 21 this year and it will be my first time to ever go on a "vacation"

Good information guys :smokin

check in with da goons.

go to pier 39, alcatraz, cowait, ride bike over golden, walk around in da night specially friday or sat on pier 39, jus enjoy it.

Since you're from the east coast check out Una Pizza Napoletana for pizza (artisan take). The guy is from Jersey I think.

Last edited:
lol, TL is bad. If thats your hood then I understand but I never had a good reason to chill there. Full of homeless people and crackheads. Theres nothing much to see and the every corner smells like piss. Whole area looks shady to me.

No. You're right...it does smell like piss and full of homeless/crackheads. I just meant its not dangerous to walk thru but there's some good spots to grab some food in TL.

yes, go to ike's. expensive sandwiches but they're delicious!

hit up japantown for some shopping, food, and a bit of sightseeing.

and people publicly smoke weed along telegraph avenue ALL the time. no damns are obviously given. :lol:

Went there for a week last year with an average budget. Public transportation was good and the city is pretty small so it's easy to get around. Just walk through the wharf and move on to something else. Not necessary to spend much time there. Alcatraz is worth it. Go as early as you can and buy the tickets days in advance on the Internet.

Brenda's French Soul Food had great breakfast. La Taqueria was very good for a quick lunch. Tony's Pizza Napoletana was good. Swan Oyster Depot was great. There's a lot of good restaurants and bars.

MoMA was mediocre. Cali Academy of Sciences in Golden Gate Park had a few cool things. The Exploratorium was pretty cool. Muir Woods is a short drive or shuttle ride away and is pretty cool too.

You can knock out most of the more touristy things(Alcatraz, the Wharf, GG Bridge, Coit Tower, Trolleys, etc) all in one day. With the rest of your time, I'd suggest just walking around diff areas like Chinatown, Union Square, Mission, Haight-Ashbury, etc and just stopping in anytime something looks interesting. We liked walking around The Mission checking out the murals, grabbing lunch at La Taqueria, relaxing at Dolores Park, and grabbing ice cream at Bi-Rite.

First off, FONG those pics are :pimp: I'm drooling thinking about going back to SF.

OP, your most likely gonna fall in love with SF....4-5 days isn't enough. I was there for 7 days and I still had a bunch left to do. But no worries, cuz if you still have stuff left to do in SF it just means you gotta book another trip out there.

You may want to search previous SF threads. I was at the st. francis in union square...nice hotel but I really think you'll be walking around too much to be sleeping in SF.

I gotta say this:
Copp that city pass
Ikes
Golden gate park and bridge
:pimp:
Broadway

Going from NYC to SF....your gonna feel SF should be a super-borough of NYC.

Co-sign on Brendas but the line gets outrageous for breakfast/weekend brunch.

Put your name down and head to Philz for coffee to wait.

Also, Tartine for lunch / pastries / bread is really really good.

Love San Fran
def check out Ikes sandwiches (stuff em with the jalapeno peppers and the extra sides that go a long with them)
Home Plate for breakfast (some of the best breakfast ive ever had)
Irish Coffee at Buena Vista coffee

Youl def enjoy your stay

If you rent a car, might as well hit up Napa Valley or Sausalito for wine tour and go down to Monterey Bay ...Don't just come here for San Francisco, there a bunch of great places around the Bay.

Back
Top Bottom