Going on vacation to San Francisco

What's up, Niketalk fam.

I've finally got some vacation time and I've decided to spend 4-5 days (July 5th-8th) in The Bay area. I've been to the west coast only once and that was to SoCal. I've always wanted to go to SF and check out everything that they have to offer out there. I few months ago was looking into moving there through a transfer from my firm, but I decided to stay here in NY (investment banking is a lot better out here).

Anyways, I don't know much about the area or what there is to do. I know that there is a large community of Niketalk members in The Bay area and was hoping some of you guys could help me out.

Here are some of my questions:

Where should I stay?
Would I need to rent a car? Is public transportation good enough to see the sights and do activities?
What are some of the best areas to go to if you want to just relax? I've gotten over the club and party scene.
Any place where I can go to a Hookah lounge?
Any places of recommendation to go see or do? So far I got Fisherman's Warf and The Golden Gate Bridge. Wish the Warriors were still playing, I heard Oracle is NUTS during the NBA season.
Best places to eat?
Places or things to watch out for?
I want to go shopping too. Any outlet malls around the area?

I want to stay in a hotel in a pretty nice area. I don't want to be too far away from the city or where most of the action is. Money isn't really an issue. I just want to be comfortable and enjoy my stay. Don't get me wrong, I'm not a millionaire or anything, but I just want to have a nice time and stay at a decent place.

Some coworkers told me to go to the financial district, but if SF's financial district is anything like NY's--I'm assuming is a snoozefest at night :lol:

Any other questions are welcome and thanks in advance. I know I'm going to have a great time up there!

BTW: What do you think of this "3 Days in San Francisco" thing I found on tripadvisor? Legit?
http://www.tripadvisor.com/Guide-g60713-l287-San_Francisco_California.html

View media item 457810

pay your dues or end up like 2 chainz

Knew someone was gonna say that :rofl:

Go to Haight Ashbury for Hookah a couple up there. Plenty of bars on Nob Hill, O'farrell and SOMA district. Also alot of cool spots in the Mission District, but its know to go down there from time to time.

DO NOT GO THE TENDERLION!!!! Is easy to wander in there cause its downtown near malls and other **** but yeah don't get caught slippin.

Only outlet they have in the city is Burlington Coat factory, but they got some outside SF or in the east bay. Go to telegrapth in Berkeley and of course if you in the bay go buy some weed. No need to go to the Dispensary most dudes in the east bay will have it :lol:

The financial district is downtown, rememebr SF ain't that big so no matter where you are downtown its easy to get around. Some nice Hotels on Sutter, Russian Hill.

I haven't been out there in a couple years but its pretty easy to hit up a bar or cool lounge in the areas I mentioned. Honestly there are soooo many spots in SF you can just go bar hopping.

I'll chime in....

Where should I stay?
Anywhere in SF will be expensive. The only recommended thing I can say is to possibly stay somewhere else near a Bart station and constantly Bart into SF but that will be a total pain and you would have only till midnight to do anything since that is the last train out.

Would I need to rent a car? Is public transportation good enough to see the sights and do activities?
No need for a car but there will be time issues with public transportation. For example, getting to Twin Peaks can be easy by car but by bus, it is a good many stops and transfers. Personally the fun of SF is taking public transportation.

What are some of the best areas to go to if you want to just relax? I've gotten over the club and party scene.
Our weather right now is odd cause it hasn't been too hot here. Beaches are hit and miss but Baker Beach or some of the other areas near the Golden Gate Bridge are nice. There is also Golden Gate Park, Delores Park in Mission and Alamo Square where the Full House houses are. There are also lounges all around SF that are more mellow than the teen clubs.

Any place where I can go to a Hookah lounge?
I honestly think we don't really get down on hookah out here. I don't know a popular one but if you google something, those are better than what I know.

Any places of recommendation to go see or do? So far I got Fisherman's Warf and The Golden Gate Bridge. Wish the Warriors were still playing, I heard Oracle is NUTS during the NBA season.
Check out the Bay Bridge for sure. They have the Bay Lights up which is only up for 2 years. Really cool at night and good photo ops. Check out Twin Peaks, Giants are playing and AT&T Park is just as cool, Haight St., Mission for bars and good eats, Polk St for low key club scene, North Beach for Koit Tower and italian food and strip clubs if you are into them. Also the have the Museum Of Science which has animals and what not and the SF Zoo as well.

Best places to eat?
Try Farmer Browns which is soul food, Cha Cha Cha in the Mission or Haight, Little Star Pizza which is in the MIssion, get some Philz Coffee, if you got cash, go to House of Prime Rib but you have to make reservations, eat at some dive cheap Chinatown eats, Fairy Building downtown near the water has some cool stuff....I mean SF has tons of food spots.

Places or things to watch out for?
I want to go shopping too. Any outlet malls around the area?
Haight St is our streetwear hub in SF. Black Scale, FTC, TRUE and some other shops are there. Downtown is our typical malls and what not, and the only outlets that are close are Gilroy bu thtat is about an hour away.

I want to stay in a hotel in a pretty nice area. I don't want to be too far away from the city or where most of the action is. Money isn't really an issue. I just want to be comfortable and enjoy my stay. Don't get me wrong, I'm not a millionaire or anything, but I just want to have a nice time and stay at a decent place.
Some coworkers told me to go to the financial district, but if SF's financial district is anything like NY's--I'm assuming is a snoozefest at night
Financial district is expensive too but it could be cheaper. Also SF is only 7 square miles, so getting into a cab to the hot spots are easy. I still say try somewhere close to downtown but that is in the TL. It's not that bad and you coudl just walk to spots still.

If you want to go bar hopping, valencia on a friday night is a good place. Great diverse crowd.

Make a reservation at Bourbon & Branch.

Have some good Mexican food.

Renting a car kinda depends... It's a pain in the *** driving in the city. Especially in tourist type areas like fisherman's wharf/downtown, also parking prices are thru the roof. Public transportation on the other hand you have Bart and Muni which serve their purpose but depending on where you plan to visit, you might just be better off taking a cab to get around.

I co-sign on avoiding the tenderloin. Nothing but crackheads and crack dealers down there.

If the giants are at home and you like baseball, definitely go to a game.

Other typical tourist sights:
Sutro baths
Coit tower
Twin peaks
Alcatraz
Union square (shopping)

Not to plug my blog but I have tons of pics of SF and if there is any spot you see that you need questions on, feel free to ask.

Some other spots and these are pics on my blog:

Palace Of Fine Arts:
warrior-8b.jpg

Crissy Fields:
warrior-3.jpg

Delores Park:
memorial-day-22.jpg

Masonic and Haight St:
lango-1.jpg

Transamerica and Coppola building:
sfc-2.jpg

Justin Herman Plaza:
sfc-1.jpg

City Hall in Civic Center:
gsw-1a.jpg

Bay Bridge with Bay Lights:
bay-lights-2.jpg

Treasure Island view of SF:
house-8a.jpg

Alamo Square aka Full Houses:
house-1b.jpg

Sutro Bath:
heaven-2.jpg

Behind the Fairy Building:
heaven-8d.jpg

Pier 7:
heaven-7a.jpg

Fisherman's Wharf:
wet-wipes-3a.jpg

Pier 14:
a-new-night-6b.jpg

Thanks, Fogstarr for the pics. I already follow your blog :lol:

What do you guys think of these Hotels? Is it in a great neighborhood with lots to do? Nice decor? Overall fun and great atmosphere?

BTW: All these hotels are saying I will get a room with a view of the Golden Gate Bridge

1. The Palace Hotel by Montgomery
2. Mandarin Oriental on Sansome Street
3. The Westin St. Francis on Powel Street
4. Harbor Court on Steuart Street
5. Hotel Vitale on Mission Street
6. Mariott Marquis on Mission Street
7. Argonaut Hotel on Jefferson Street
8. Hotel Nikko on Mason Street

Any other hotels I should look into?

Last edited:
I've been to the Argonaut Hotel on Jefferson Street. It's right at the end of Fisherman's wharf. Nice spot but as far as getting a view of the Golden Gate, it would be pretty small. At least you'd be where they shoot fireworks for 4th of July but it gets super packed on that day. There is a nice pub below though even if it is a tourist spot and the Marina district is there and there is also a nice food, bar scene there...even though it is all white people.

Also if it matters, Dodgers play the Giants that weekend and that's pretty much a big deal for us.

It's funny how coincidental life can be sometimes....I'm planning a trip there myself in mid July and this will definately help

actually i will be in San Francisco for a bit right after my wedding, this helps me out also. thanks guy!

Also use these sites for references to find out what to do when you are here. The Fillmore Jazz festival is on the weekend you are here and it's pretty much just a huge block of outdoor food, music and drinks.

http://www.sfstation.com/
http://sf.funcheap.com/

Also if you are into eating out of food trucks, check out Off The Grid in Fort Mason area:

http://offthegridsf.com/

View media item 457857
he's from nyc why waste his time at a food truck. hit up fishermans warf , a giants game, eat at alexanders steakhouse, go to 6 flags marine world and go to the exploratorium

he's from nyc why waste his time at a food truck. hit up fishermans warf , a giants game, eat at alexanders steakhouse, go to 6 flags marine world and go to the exploratorium

Oh word? Is NYC flooded with food trucks as well? Well there are some specific trucks that I don't think even NYC would have like the Filipino taco truck. It's good times though cause there are a ton of people there and there are some wine and beer tents that are there too. Just a tad bit pricy for the food you get but Fisherman's Wharf is no better.

Thanks, Fogstarr for the pics. I already follow your blog :lol:

What do you guys think of these Hotels? Is it in a great neighborhood with lots to do? Nice decor? Overall fun and great atmosphere?

BTW: All these hotels are saying I will get a room with a view of the Golden Gate Bridge

1. The Palace Hotel by Montgomery
2. Mandarin Oriental on Sansome Street
3. The Westin St. Francis on Powel Street
4. Harbor Court on Steuart Street
5. Hotel Vitale on Mission Street
6. Mariott Marquis on Mission Street
7. Argonaut Hotel on Jefferson Street
8. Hotel Nikko on Mason Street

Any other hotels I should look into?

I've stayed at Hotel Vitale like 10+ times, I like the location (easy to get to the Financial Distric by walking - or SOMA by way of walking along the Embarcadero or cab to the Marina).

Harbor Court is near the water as well, but to me Hotel Vitale is a better vneue.

The Marriott is blah - I personally like the JW more. Hotel Nikko wasn't bad, stayed their once. The Palace has been/in process of rennovation, but it's a timeless classic hotel. Can be noisy though.

I stayed in Union Square for a weekend was fun. There's this gokart place around there where you can rent a kart and drive it around the city. Honey Honey was aweeeesome for breakfast and there's this really good sushi spot around there forgot what it was called but I think it had a W and you had to go downstairs to get in. Just download the Urban Spoon app. Visit the full house house rent bikes ride across the bridge if you're about that life. Go wine tasting in Napa Valley and maybe check out Alcatraz. I didn't get to go when I was there since the tour sold out. Have fun with all the hills.

Mamacita's is good - gets pretty packed in there...

Nob Hill Cafe, no reservations, is another good spot (homemade style Italian).

I could go on and on about non-food truck spots in and around SF.

Back
Top Bottom