Going to court for a DUI....

I'm 20 years old, first time, smh, and hopefully the last...What should i expect? Should i spend the money on a real lawyer or just stay with a publicdefendant?

Have a provisional license in another state...will i have a problem getting one in the state that i was just convicted?

if you have the money i'd suggest retaining your own attorney instead of a public defender. they'll most likely end up getting you at least a year ofprobation, you've got a better shot at getting off altogether with your own attorney.

Originally Posted by djphame1

depends on ur blood alcohol level..

and that fact that your underage doesnt help. look up dui laws in your state. that should give you and idea of what you might face. I know here in nj in worksby tiers depending on your blood alcohol level.

Yea since you are under 21+ this isn't looking good. At least you aren't' going to jail.

If you stick with the public defender, your facing a lot of probation, classes, lost license and the worst part is all the fines.

With your own lawyer you can get all of those cut short possibly. My boy was 19 and got a DUI and he used his own lawyer, ended up with relatively small fine,classes and lost his license for 3 months. No probation.

Not going to call you a raging alcoholic or berate you for D&D, you'll get enough of that in court-ordered classes, or seminars that a lawyer mayrecommend.

Depends on the circumstances of the arrest, your BAC, etc. Since you've breathalyzed, I'm sure, there's enough evidence to convict you. Your onlyhopes are a) getting the charge reduced to a lesser drinking/driving offense than whatever you're currently facing (in order to keep your licensesuspension as short as possible, and minimize the impact on your driving and criminal records) and/or b) finding some procedural error in the arrest to get youoff (extremely unlikely and probably costly). Either of these scenarios requires an attorney that cares enough, knows the complexities of DUI laws in yourstate, and potentially has the time to do some leg work - not a public defender, in most cases.

Most important of all - for your prosperity, safety, and the safety of others . . . Don't do it again!

raburns04 showin her face.....

either way its not lookin good...underage doesnt help. If you can afford the lawyer, I suggest do it..

what was your BAC?

Get it down to DWI if you can. My dui cost about 5 Grand so my advice is get it lowered. I was on suspended, random drug test $10 a pop, 15 meetings at $25 apop, M.A.D.D meeting $50, $2000 to the state, money to the city, and all these other cost. With DWI you will have to do some of those things but not all.

Originally Posted by Prime Suspects 36

Get it down to DWI if you can. My dui cost about 5 Grand so my advice is get it lowered. I was on suspended, random drug test $10 a pop, 15 meetings at $25 a pop, M.A.D.D meeting $50, $2000 to the state, money to the city, and all these other cost. With DWI you will have to do some of those things but not all.

yea man. i know exactly what that is all like.. OP be prepared to cough up alot of money. with court fines. DMV surcharges. possible classes like prime suspectsaid.

Originally Posted by Prime Suspects 36

Get it down to DWI if you can. My dui cost about 5 Grand so my advice is get it lowered. I was on suspended, random drug test $10 a pop, 15 meetings at $25 a pop, M.A.D.D meeting $50, $2000 to the state, money to the city, and all these other cost. With DWI you will have to do some of those things but not all.

Not always true. I have a DWI and I did all of those things plus more. I ended up payingabout $8000. OP if you don't have a job,kids,bills and stay at home with your parents just do the time and sit it out. yeah it's going to be 30 days(that's how it is in Dallas) but you won't have to worry about your TIME and MONEY that they take from you when you are on probation. if you getprobation you still have to pay your po fees and waste your time going to check in every month and if you leave the city you have to ask permeation form yourpo and if you don't and get stopped by the cops you just violated your probation and its 1 year to 1-1/2 year in jail. plus your po makes you go to AAmeetings. all these for my first time getting one.

I got a DUI and I think you should just plead guilty and start the DUI process asap. I do know of people that have gotten people off of their DUi but they paya butt load on lawyer charges. It just depends on all things but I blew a 1.2BAC and I plead guilty and got the minimum charge of $1700.

Originally Posted by Mr Fongstarr

I got a DUI and I think you should just plead guilty and start the DUI process asap. I do know of people that have gotten people off of their DUi but they pay a butt load on lawyer charges. It just depends on all things but I blew a 1.2BAC and I plead guilty and got the minimum charge of $1700.

how much did your insurance go up to if you don't mind me asking? i'm going to court Jan. 19th...

Originally Posted by PJ and Bompton

I got a DUI and I think you should just plead guilty and start the DUI process asap. I do know of people that have gotten people off of their DUi but they pay
a butt load on lawyer charges. It just depends on all things but I blew a 1.2BAC and I plead guilty and got the minimum charge of $1700.

how much did your insurance go up to if you don't mind me asking? i'm going to court Jan. 19th...

Believe it or not I still don't have my license and got rod of my car and the insurance....but that partially has to do with me living in San Francisconow. But I am sure if I got insurance, it would be pretty pricey, but I would just get some Eastwood insurance or something generic anyways.

Its kind of hit or miss. I plead guilty a couple years back when I was 21 and got hit hard, and I know people who did the same and got off with like a $800fine. Always talk to a lawyer first because they have so many tricks. It is required that someone from the state checks the BAC machine at the staion everymonth and if not the lawyer can get you off scott free. At least go see a lawyer to know where you stand

I got a DUI and I think you should just plead guilty and start the DUI process asap. I do know of people that have gotten people off of their DUi but they pay a butt load on lawyer charges. It just depends on all things but I blew a 1.2BAC and I plead guilty and got the minimum charge of $1700.

daaaam you really blew a 1.2?!!!! or a .12? cause the minimum where im from is .08 so blowing a 1.2 you mustve been drunk off your !*+.

Originally Posted by ClevelandsPrince23

Why you drinkin' and drivin' bro?
exactly..

dudes shouldn't be driving if they aren't responsible, real talk.. you could've killed yourself, even worse an innocent person

Originally Posted by cbass625

I got a DUI and I think you should just plead guilty and start the DUI process asap. I do know of people that have gotten people off of their DUi but they pay
a butt load on lawyer charges. It just depends on all things but I blew a 1.2BAC and I plead guilty and got the minimum charge of $1700.

daaaam you really blew a 1.2?!!!! or a .12? cause the minimum where im from is .08 so blowing a 1.2 you mustve been drunk off your +#%.

My bad...you're right.....it is .12 and not 1.2. I did have a guy in my class that blew 2.0 but you know that is nothing to brag about.
Originally Posted by NationalTruckerDave

Originally Posted by ClevelandsPrince23

Why you drinkin' and drivin' bro?
exactly..

dudes shouldn't be driving if they aren't responsible, real talk.. you could've killed yourself, even worse an innocent person

Yeah...your right but you know how stuff goes. People say strap up when you have sex but people do it. Definitely not advocating it but I am sure stats willshow that a lot of people have drivin drunk before but it is a lot of people's immaturity to still do so. I am sure even this past holiday there were a lotof people driving drunk whether they were tore up or not. I think it is best said that getting a DUI is not about quitting drinking, but just to be responsibleenough to not drive. That is something I have learned and will try to never do again.

lmao blowing a 2.0 would mean your blood alcohol level is 200% aka you would've been dead at least 4 times.. you gotta mean .2 cause even that is WRECKED

Back
Top Bottom