Graduating from HS--- a big accomplishment??

My homie's little brother is about to be in the 12th grade, and I was over their house when the family was already planning his big ++$ graduation party.  Got me to thinking.... is graduating from HS even a big accomplishment??  I definitely didn't feel like I did anything special when I graduated, even though Oakland's dropout rate was 52% the year I graduated (05).  I guess I feel like that because I know my mom would've decapitated me had I not finished high school.  So I don't know if it's a cultural thing, an individual thing or whatever that determines whether or not finishing HS is a big deal.

Anybody else understand what I mean?  Like... me graduating wasn't celebrated, it was required and expected.

My homie's little brother is about to be in the 12th grade, and I was over their house when the family was already planning his big ++$ graduation party.  Got me to thinking.... is graduating from HS even a big accomplishment??  I definitely didn't feel like I did anything special when I graduated, even though Oakland's dropout rate was 52% the year I graduated (05).  I guess I feel like that because I know my mom would've decapitated me had I not finished high school.  So I don't know if it's a cultural thing, an individual thing or whatever that determines whether or not finishing HS is a big deal.

Anybody else understand what I mean?  Like... me graduating wasn't celebrated, it was required and expected.

pssh NO. HS was the easiest stuff the pass. Like honestly, if you dont graduate HS, you are a complete incompetent moron

pssh NO. HS was the easiest stuff the pass. Like honestly, if you dont graduate HS, you are a complete incompetent moron

it's all about context. Is he the first person to finish HS in this family? (no shots) Is the drop out rate high? did he overcome a lot of obstacles to graduate? Do they celebrate all milestones? I personally don't think finishing HS is a big deal. shoot, i didn't even think finishing college was anything to make a big deal out of because that's what i felt i was supposed to do. Yea I was the first in my fam to go and finish college, but I was always good in school and not going to college was not an option. But i did have a party ( i just needed an excuse to drink with my friends)

For some, it's a pretty big deal. For me, I was just glad to get it over with & really get it cracking with life.

it's all about context. Is he the first person to finish HS in this family? (no shots) Is the drop out rate high? did he overcome a lot of obstacles to graduate? Do they celebrate all milestones? I personally don't think finishing HS is a big deal. shoot, i didn't even think finishing college was anything to make a big deal out of because that's what i felt i was supposed to do. Yea I was the first in my fam to go and finish college, but I was always good in school and not going to college was not an option. But i did have a party ( i just needed an excuse to drink with my friends)

For some, it's a pretty big deal. For me, I was just glad to get it over with & really get it cracking with life.

Originally Posted by LetItShine24

That might have been the case for you but it's not the case for a lot of other people.

Graduating HS can be a huge accomplishment when it's almost not expected of you and you're not fully supported in getting there. You also never know the kind of struggles someone had to endure to make it across that stage.  The dropout rate for my graduating class was high and the percentage that were even going to college was even more abysmal. The number actually going was just saddening.
ohwell.gif

Originally Posted by LetItShine24

That might have been the case for you but it's not the case for a lot of other people.

Graduating HS can be a huge accomplishment when it's almost not expected of you and you're not fully supported in getting there. You also never know the kind of struggles someone had to endure to make it across that stage.  The dropout rate for my graduating class was high and the percentage that were even going to college was even more abysmal. The number actually going was just saddening.
ohwell.gif

Graduating no. Graduating in the top 10% (or whatever lower number) of your class, that's a little different.

Ya man it should be celebrated...doesnt matter how easy or hard it was...you did it! and not everybody does for many different reasons! so i think you should be proud/enjoy/celebrate it

Graduating no. Graduating in the top 10% (or whatever lower number) of your class, that's a little different.

Ya man it should be celebrated...doesnt matter how easy or hard it was...you did it! and not everybody does for many different reasons! so i think you should be proud/enjoy/celebrate it

Back
Top Bottom