Happy Juneteenth My Kings and Queens

Still a bit of a cynic on any "emancipation day" across the world, but i'm coming around. I'm looking at it as why the **** should I thank you for no longer enslaving my people? when it should be thank goodness my people are no longer enslaved.

Also because there was still slavery and indentured servitude beyond these dates.

Just acknowledgement is a step in the right direction.

We're never gonna be able to take a leap towards progress.

But we can celebrate the steps.

Thats just my opinion.

Just acknowledgement is a step in the right direction.

We're never gonna be able to take a leap towards progress.

But we can celebrate the steps.

Thats just my opinion.

You give those fools WAY too much credit/benefit of the doubt.

You give those fools WAY too much credit/benefit of the doubt.

Im really giving "us" the credit.

We are making progress believe it or not.

Its hard for me to see sometimes so I get it.

Juneteenth is a national holiday!

Doesn't matter the reason to me.

People scoffed at the Uncle Ben drama, but to me, as small and unnecessary as it was, these white folks feeling pressure im not sure I've ever seen outside of straight war.

Nah man.

WE don't control anything.

Anything we get has to come from those that enslaved us.

No matter how much fighting, marching, kicking we do.

Much like this national holiday, THEY have to grant it.

I just see a bunch of consolation prizes.

I get all this.

THEY "granted" this because of our push.

This is part of the shame Martin wanted.

Put they ****in nose in they ****!

THEY aren't happy to do this.

This is the equivalent of them giving us crumbs. F that

Segregation in liberal "progressive" states is rampant. It's by design. The way they intend it to be

Crumbs indeed.

I feel like this is to distract from inaction and opposition to making critical race theory a part of school curriculums nationally.

I watched this short film, “Macolm” and during the interview, Malcolm X addresses a number of topics that deal directly with our country’s current political and racial climate. When asked have things changed, he replies, “Seemingly, people would say things have come a long way. I think that Negroes, or should I say, ‘new age’ Negroes have been conditioned to think things have changed.” He later adds, “Remember brother, when you say that things have changed, you’re saying that old ways or habits can no longer take place. However, that’s simply not the case.”

In the film, Malcolm X also speaks about Barack Obama becoming the first Black president, Dr. King’s memorial in Washington, and Muslim sisters in Congress as examples of progress… not change.

Still a bit of a cynic on any "emancipation day" across the world, but i'm coming around. I'm looking at it as why the **** should I thank you for no longer enslaving my people? when it should be thank goodness my people are no longer enslaved.

Also because there was still slavery and indentured servitude beyond these dates.

When I learned about Junteenth and it being a Texas thing, I always thought, what does that have to do with me.

It has to be a little weird for Texans.

and are you supposed to say have a nice holiday to people? I once said that to someone on memorial day, and they said something about what memorial day and what it means. I was like enjoy your bbq and **** you know what I mean.

When I learned about Junteenth and it being a Texas thing, I always thought, what does that have to do with me.

It has to be a little weird for Texans.

and are you supposed to say have a nice holiday to people? I once said that to someone on memorial day, and they said something about what memorial day and what it means. I was like enjoy your bbq and **** you know what I mean.
When I first moved to Texas, the girl that did my dreads gave me the run down on Juneteenth. My initial reaction was, “Y’all celebrate that???” I’m still kinda iffy on celebrating finding out the state of Texas was lying to people and the US government had to come free them. It’s so Texas tho. The civil war wasn’t enough, they got have their own war.

This is one of those instances where I look at the glass as both half full and half empty.

It’s progress, albeit performative in my opinion.

But we have way more important maters at hand than the federalization of a national holiday wherein our oppressors get to reap benefits from.

None the less, love to all my Black people out there. ✊🏿

In many ways, the civil war and emancipation comprised the true American revolution. Sadly, the American revolution of 1865, like most revolutions, ran out of momentum; crashed onto the shores of a mostly intact economic status quo, which necessitated revolution in the first place; and succumbed to counter revolution.

June 19th 1865 should be viewed as just a start of complete emancipation from every form of oppression. One day, June 19th will be one half of a complementary holiday celebrating the end of what the revolution of 1865 started. I am confident that that will happen, the only question is what day of the year will be marked to celebrate it.

I don't know what to make of it. They owe black people a minimum of 40 acres and a mule but have given them a holiday instead that they probably will still have to work on just to make ends meet. It's almost like a backhanded compliment.

giphy.gif

obviously have a lot of complicated feelings on the meaning of today and even what it means to be free in context of recent events.

even attended a Freedom Day event yesterday for all those who couldn't.

could write a long *** dissertation about it and maybe I will later but I can't seem to stop it from boiling down to "I mean, I guess..."

Honestly i'm not even sure what the backlash really is, what did people expect when it became a national Holiday?

I'm sure money was a main motive in getting it done, that & more theater for black people

Back
Top Bottom