Has anyone ever heard of Ricky Rubio?

[h2]CONGRATS TO USABASKETBALL[/h2]submitted by BaronDavis 2 days ago Stayed up late to watch the gold medal game in Beijing last night. What a game! Igotta shout out the 2008 Redeem Team for reclaiming the gold for the USA.

Kobe is a phenomenon - those fourth quarter 3s were killers! Wade looks like he is seriously back for 08-09. No other team in the world would have Dwayne Wadecoming off the bench except on Playstation. And LeBron is still the King. But with all the talent there, they still had to play unselfish, play defense, andplay together to beat Spain.

BTW, Spain balled their %!@%# off - can't wait till Rubio makes it to the league. He's a gem. Portland should be nice too, withOden AND Rudy Fernandez coming in (did you see that nasty one-hand over Dwight Howard, are you kidding???)

But I'm so proud of our guys. That was truly the way to rep Red White and Blue. It would be an honor to play for the gold in London 2012 to keep theOlympic title where it belongs, here in the US. What a dream come true. I can hear the crowd now chanting: USA USA USA!

For being as young as he is, he's
pimp.gif

It'll be interesting to see his continued development.
Also to see where he lands in the NBA draft in a few years.

Originally Posted by chikickz

He's already a top 5 player in Europe. He plays in the Spanish pro league. He's the number one pick in the NBA draft once he comes over.

He's a great shooter, a better passer, and sees the floor so well for his age. It's truly remarkable. He turned pro at 15. I believe he is 17 now.

By the time he does come to the NBA he will have logged 4-5 years as a pro in the Spanish League.
woah woah woah, he's a great talent and certainly proved that he belongs in euroleague, but top 5 in europe? that's kinda reaching,isn't it?

and from what i have read and seen, he's a good shooter, but not great. His two greatest talents are passing and defense right now. He also likes to playflashy, so he has some star potential i guess. i'm not a 100% believer of him, but wouldn't mind seeing him playing in NBA as soon as possible.

Pistol Pete
laugh.gif
eyes.gif
eyes.gif
eyes.gif
Typical analysts using stereotypes cause he looks like him andplays like him a bit. Based on that highlight film his game is: hustle on defense, shoot spot up threes, and create in the lane. Nothing inbetween basket and 3though. Give him time though cause he's 17, and didn't show that much against Team USA. He could get eaten alive in the NBA if he goes for the draftnext year.

Oh and he looks like a complete douche as well.

Rubio will be one of my favorite players if he keeps progressing the way he is.

I think he'll have a better chance at succeeding in the NBA than most European prospects that come over. He seems to have an edge and confidence that mostplayers seem to lack, which is probably part of the reason they end up as busts in the US.

Plus, he displays a good IQ, which sets him apart even more.

And his name's Ricky Rubio! How cool is that? It might die off a little when "RUBIO" is on the back of the jersey instead of 'RICKY,' butstill. Makes me think of fish tacos.

Analysts will overreact & overhype him big time. He will get a lot of comparisons, a lot of coverage, etc.

All that into play, it doesn't change the fact he is a very good player. Still very young, but very talented. He needs to improve certain areas of his gameright now, but he has time. The fact that he's 17 & doing what he is doing is a good sign...especially if he keeps improving. Plus, he has a very goodbasketball IQ, which is always a plus...especially if he has it now.

All comparisons & hype aside, I don't see him being an overall #1 pick in a draft like some analysts have said, but he will go high & he will be aproductive player. It will be interesting to see how he improves his game from what I saw a little bit of this past summer, to what he can do in the NBA in acouple years.

Originally Posted by AIRJORDAN JB23

Analysts will overreact & overhype him big time. He will get a lot of comparisons, a lot of coverage, etc.

All that into play, it doesn't change the fact he is a very good player. Still very young, but very talented. He needs to improve certain areas of his game right now, but he has time. The fact that he's 17 & doing what he is doing is a good sign...especially if he keeps improving. Plus, he has a very good basketball IQ, which is always a plus...especially if he has it now.

All comparisons & hype aside, I don't see him being an overall #1 pick in a draft like some analysts have said, but he will go high & he will be a productive player. It will be interesting to see how he improves his game from what I saw a little bit of this past summer, to what he can do in the NBA in a couple years.
All that is true, but Andrea Bargnani was drafted #1, so I believe since he's being hyped up so much, I think he can go #1. I don't knowmuch about College Ball, but it's definitely a real possibility.

Originally Posted by dfresh244

Dude is good and only 17. I think he's been playing professionally since like 15? He's supposed to be a top 5 pick in NEXT year's draft. nbadraft.net compares him to Pistol Pete. I dunno about all that though
laugh.gif

I've seen vids and he's good but he's not athletic at all
That's what they said about Chris Paul/

He playd wickedin the lympics, is like 17 and been pro since the age of 15, fom spain. MAd talent!

Originally Posted by SenorRoboto2k5

And his name's Ricky Rubio! How cool is that? It might die off a little when "RUBIO" is on the back of the jersey instead of 'RICKY,' but still. Makes me think of fish tacos.
eyes.gif
laugh.gif

anyways he has quick hands. He's got the ability already to make plays by getting his hands on the ball - tips deflections, its a natural instinct for theball. We've all seen him play against the US, and that's what stood out to me.
This was the play which I have been referring to....
In a pool-play loss to America, Rubio effortlessly stripped the ball from LeBron James and, in a fluid motion, whipped a crosscourt pass for an assist, ho-hum.

"To be 17, playing in the Olympics, that's truly amazing - I couldn't have done it," Team USA guard Dwyane Wade said. "He looks like a very tough kid, hard-working guy. Hopefully he continues to be hungry and goes out to be the player he wants to become - and not worry about being something that somebody thinks he should be."

He didnt do anything against the U.S team..I'm not buyin the hype.. To be a top 5 pick in a couple years seems a bit absurd

Originally Posted by JordanNB23

He didnt do anything against the U.S team..I'm not buyin the hype.. To be a top 5 pick in a couple years seems a bit absurd
agreed, he didnt impress me with his play at all...and he couldnt make a jumper even if he was wide open

BUST.

and please tell me why would he come to the NBA...with the money being offered overseas...its a downgrade to come over here and make 3 mill a year taxed IF heis a lottery pick. hes too damn ugly to get endorsements so i dont see that happening

Originally Posted by JordanNB23

He's 17...Take any top notch PG currently playing in the league and at the age of 17 they wouldnt have done !**# against that US team.

Derrick Rose, OJ Mayo, Russell Westbrook, and Rodney Stuckey fared MUCH worst in those select team scrimmages. #1 pick Derrick Rose couldn't even get theball past half court on more than one occasion.

Holding his own in the Olympics against some of the best at his position in the world (CP, Williams, Kidd) at 17 is unbelievably impressive.

I want to see how much his body and athleticism develop in the next year or two- I think that will be the difference in whether he's top 10 or top 3 pick.

Originally Posted by haiti5

BUST.

and please tell me why would he come to the NBA...with the money being offered overseas...its a downgrade to come over here and make 3 mill a year taxed IF he is a lottery pick. hes too damn ugly to get endorsements so i dont see that happening
laugh.gif
truthhh...

To think Rubio did nothing against the US team in the Olympics is a tragedy. Did you watch the game?

Too many fans are stuck on scoring as the determining factor in projection of future talent. You're missing a whole lot of the game of basketball. Scoringis just one part of the game. The ability to disrupt an offense or to set one up is a HUGE portion of the game. Talk to Rajon Rondo about that. Ask Bruce Bowenabout that.

Rubio is a point guard that can set up your offense and plays stellar defense. This is a rarity in today's game. Not many point guards are solid defendersthat can read on the defensive end what they do so well on the offensive end. Rubio does this.

Rubio runs the fast break like an NBA point guard. He knows how to freeze defenders with his eyes. He's doing this now at a pro level at just 17 years old.And he's done it for two years since he was 15.

I wouldn't want to be a seller on Ricky Rubio right now. He's a strong buy. His parents still call the shots. They've said that at 18 he willconsider his options and decide if he would like to enter his name in the NBA draft. When he does, he will be the number 1 overall selection.

He's talented, but was over matched by the U.S. PG's.

I think he learned a lot from this years Olympics, and could become a top 5 draft pick next year.

Back
Top Bottom