Has anyone ever heard of Ricky Rubio?

i've seen some vids of him and he is pretty nice but still has alot of work to do, doubt he will get a starting spot in the L until about 3-4 years afterhe is drafted but he has a lot of things going for him right now at a young age

kid is a baller. extremely skilled player. dude is 17 and playing on the world circuit and @$+*$##* on people. and he has some sticky #+@ hands on defense too,thats real impressive

but as for the NBA, it seems like he has below average speed/quickness for an NBA point guard, and i didn't see much of a jumpshot from him. he should workon that before he can be put on the level of guys like Derrick Rose or Brandon Jennings

Rubio is better than Derrick Rose and Brandon Jennings already. He's a real point guard. He has awesome handles. He's not the fastest guy, but the ballmoves faster than people. He's a great shooter.

He's essentially a 6'4" version of Steve Nash. I hadn't seen this video, but they look like his most recent highlights. In two pro seasons hehis game has dramatically surpassed the original growth expectations.

Actually...

he'll be eligible for the 2010 draft

by the time 09 draft rolls around, he'll be 18

so he's gonna have two more years to get his weight up

i read the slam article on him too, so if he was doin damage at 16, he should be a problem

Style of driving and shooting reminds me a lot of ginobili....always changing direction or step length....and the shot looks slightly unorthodox as well. Dudehas serious potential

Updated: August 10, 2008
nba_g_rubio_580.jpg

Phil Walter/Getty Images

Rubio had seven points and one helper in his debut.
BEIJING -- Ricky Rubio has some trouble handling the backcourt trap, but Spain had no problem handling Greece on the opening day of Olympic men'sbasketball.
Rubio, the mop-topped 17-year-old wunderkind who has drawn comparisons to Pistol Pete Maravich, didn't show a ton of flash in his official debut for theSpanish national team. But he hit his first shot with a speedy drive past Theo Papaloukas, and he ended the game with a set 3-pointer from 25 feet as Spaindefeated Greece 81-66.

"He has a very good brain for his age. He has played well in preparations, and today was so-so. It's not every time the players are going to playperfect. Every game there is a need for improvement," said new Spanish coach Aito Garcia Reneses, who pulled a surprise by starting Marc Gasol at center over his brother, Pau.

Rudy Fernandez scored 16 points, Jose Calderon had 13 and Pau Gasol 11 for the Spaniards, who pulled away in the third quarter after the Greeks managedto trail by only six at halftime. That was despite missing 7 of 11 free throws and losing their best big man, Sofoklis Schortsianitis, to his third foul afterjust five minutes of playing time.

Calderon and backcourt mate Juan Carlos Navarro led a third-quarter surge.Calderon started the 15-2 run with a 3-pointer and a drive, then assisted on a corner 3 by Navarro before converting a three-point play to put Spain ahead50-31.

That's when Reneses-Garcia called on Rubio instead of Raul Lopez, who had beenthe first playmaker off the bench in the first half. Greece then posted two defenders near the 3-point line in the backcourt and dared Rubio to beat them, andhe failed on his first two attempts to get the ball past midcourt. One of those traps led to a turnover and a breakaway layup by Demetrios Diamantidis thatpulled Greece to 56-44, but it got no closer.

Rubio, who almost never speaks publicly, spoke briefly in the official interview room afterward. He finished with seven points and one assist in 13minutes.

"I always say that age is not important. The referees don't care if you are 16 or 28," he said.
"I don't feel any pressure aboutplaying against them," Rubio said of Spain's upcoming game against Team USA on Saturday. "I only think about the next game."
Reneses did not fully explain his decision to start Marc Gasol over Pau, who ended up playing 19 minutes and grabbing a team-high seven rebounds. Greece hadtrouble dealing with Spain's size, and didn't help itself by finishing 11-of-24 from the free-throw line.

"We have to concentrate on our free throws, and concentrate on not throwing the ball into the hands of our opponents," Greece coach PanagiotisYannakis said. "We're going to try next game to not give away so many presents."

He didn't really impress me that much. He struggled a bit.

I want to see him against the US.

Cuz I don't believe the hype at all.

No better then guys in the past draft and some guys in college.

Meh...he's still only 17/18 so I won't pass judgement too quickly...

but wasn't Rudy Fernandez hyped up like this too? Where's he at? (i know he's on the spain squad, just read the article)

"I don't feel any pressure about playing against them," Rubio said of Spain's upcoming game against Team USA on Saturday. "I only think about the next game."

can't wait til Sat to see the Doberman on him(nh)...

Originally Posted by RawSheed

Meh...he's still only 17/18 so I won't pass judgement too quickly...

but wasn't Rudy Fernandez hyped up like this too? Where's he at? (i know he's on the spain squad, just read the article)

Rudy fernandez is on the portland trailblazers. Watch out for him. i read he's top 10 rookies this year

Rubio plays against Men and runs the PG position very well. I can see him being a Jose type player except with much better defense.

Back
Top Bottom