HBO SERIES SUCCESSION..... OH......SO NOW YALL TRYNA HOP ON THE BANDWAGON

IMG_3724.jpeg

Then Greg sued Greenpeace or tried suing them 🤣

Wonderful end to a wonderful show. Reminds me of the rich guy that leaves his wealth to charity rather than his kids. I go back to season 1 where the premise was who would be able to run the company when Pops passed and we got our answer, it was Matsson. Logan told his kids they weren’t serious people which is why he was grooming Tom. Matsson had that ruthlessness to him which is what Logan respected. Keep in mind Logan didn’t have to sell the company he chose to. He would rather give the company to someone that reminds him of himself than his kids.

All the kids lost especially Shiv. Tom is a sniveling 🐛 that will do anything Matsson wants. He doesn’t like let alone love Shiv anymore and she will have 0 influence on him in the workplace. Ken and Rome are the biggest Betas I’ve ever seen. Glad they were put out of their misery

The power was bagging Shiv and having the last name Roy

Did you fall asleep during Matsson's discussion with him? How in the world is that power. A dude says to your face your wife would **** me if we continue, because she likes me, but I don't want to complicate things. Besides that, she's sort of annoyingly bossy.

Power, ok :rofl:

The whole time Matsson has been testing people to see who he can manipulate and control. Being controlled isn't power.

What are you talking about? I never said he had power. As a matter of fact a few pages ago I am pretty sure I said he didn’t but I know I have openly acknowledged he is simply a figurehead. I merely said “whether he has power or not” so that my post would apply…whether you think he has power or not (some folks in here still think he does).

I know what the deal is with those Mattson types, man. I went to school with them and deal with them real life :lol: I am not sure if you are proving my point with your comment about bagging Shiv and the Roy last name in his corner being the power but besides his current situation at the series conclusion, what is a better life script for Tom Wambsgans? Nothing. If you max out your potential and options and THAT is the outcome, I would say you won DESPITE NOT HAVING ANY POWER IN YOUR JOB 🤷‍♂️ (I hope that was clear enough :lol: )

The power was bagging Shiv and having the last name Roy

Did you fall asleep during Matsson's discussion with him? How in the world is that power. A dude says to your face your wife would **** me if we continue, because she likes me, but I don't want to complicate things. Besides that, she's sort of annoyingly bossy.

Power, ok :rofl:

The whole time Matsson has been testing people to see who he can manipulate and control. Being controlled isn't power.

Tom already showed that he doesn't genuinely care about Shiv in season 3 where he was willing to throw her under the bus in order to get closer with Logan. I genuinely don't believe Tom would care if Mattson hooked up with the Shiv. The only utility shiv ever provided Tom was her last name.

I was surprised to hear that Greg only made $200K. For all of the access he has to corporate CEOs and billionaires, I would assume that he would be making a lot more money than that even if he is just an assistant.

$200K is a decent amount of money for a regular person but Greg is writing in Maybachs and flying private jets with billionaires, he probably still feels like a peasant

For as much of a come up as Greg had in a series, I thought that he would end up a lot closer to the top. He started as a family member who was completely outside of the circle, literally a trainee at one of the parks to being in major player and deciding the future of the firm. I thought of fitting ending would be him being in the C-Suite

Aside from plotting, scheming and terminating employees, Greg hasn’t really demonstrated any of the core competencies to be anywhere near the C-Suite. Never really offered any valuable strategy advice, wasn’t meaningfullyhelping with business acquisition, wasn’t involved in many (if any) day-to-day execution decisions while you could clearly see everyone else having a hand in those things throughout the series.

He was always only going to go as far as Tom went but he couldn’t see that. He should have fought for his “assistant” role to turn into a Chief of Staff role where he got increased responsibility, more money and an opportunity to develop ACTUAL business acumen then he could seriously branch off to a prominent role in one of the other divisions and rise from through his connections with Tom, Mattson and others he worked with as CoS.

Aside from plotting, scheming and terminating employees, Greg hasn’t really demonstrated any of the core competencies to be anywhere near the C-Suite. Never really offered any valuable strategy advice, wasn’t meaningfullyhelping with business acquisition, wasn’t involved in many (if any) day-to-day execution decisions while you could clearly see everyone else having a hand in those things throughout the series.

He was always only going to go as far as Tom went but he couldn’t see that. He should have fought for his “assistant” role to turn into a Chief of Staff role where he got increased responsibility, more money and an opportunity to develop ACTUAL business acumen then he could seriously branch off to a prominent role in one of the other divisions and rise from through his connections with Tom, Mattson and others he worked with as CoS.

In reality, I completely agree with you but in the context of the show, it wouldn't be far off. Greg's resume already doesn't make it any sense. He literally goes from unemployed to being the assistant to the head of a major news network. None of this stuff makes sense.

Greg is an idiot whose only skill is scheming and the only reason the scheming works is because people think he's an idiot so they underestimate him.

Out of the three core Roy kids, Kendall is the only one who displays any type of qualifications for a high level position in one of the largest companies in the world. In reality, the board wouldn't even want Kendall because his personal failures an addiction issues have been so public.

I can't find the clip but in season 2 when Roman is going through the Waystar leadership development course, he and his class are asked to come up with a way they would improve the company and Roman literally cannot think of a single thing yet he wants to be CEO 😂. The only reason any of these kids are even inconsideration for high level roles is because of who their father is.

In the context of the show I could envision a storyline where Greg leverages the information he got from Mattson into running a portion of the company (a role he would clearly be unqualified for).

Greg should have been working on progressing his career, getting roles with increasing responsibility (assistant to chief of staff to running a small team to running a business unit). In a way, this is exactly what Tim did, He was able to plant his hooks on the phone and gain more and more influence until he became the top guy.

Last edited:
watching it again....just really loved the scene with tom and hugo....hugo kissing A and tom politely slits his throat with "where is carolina" haha dude knew it was over for him that instant.....I hope i'm in position to do that to someone in my career some day

Hoping you are in position to do it is one thing but you hope to actually do it? Have you ever fired someone or sent them to Bolivia or even worse retirement? It’s the hardest part of the job because it’s something you never learn so you can’t prepare for it which makes it so difficult IMO.

Usually it has to be done but that doesn’t make it any easier knowing you played with a man/woman’s family’s meat.

In reality, I completely agree with you but in the context of the show, it wouldn't be far off. Greg's resume already doesn't make it any sense. He literally goes from unemployed to being the assistant to the head of a major news network. None of this stuff makes sense.

Greg is an idiot whose only skill is scheming and the only reason the scheming works is because people think he's an idiot so they underestimate him.

Out of the three core Roy kids, Kendall is the only one who displays any type of qualifications for a high level position in one of the largest companies in the world. In reality, the board wouldn't even want Kendall because his personal failures an addiction issues have been so public.

I can't find the clip but in season 2 when Roman is going through the Waystar leadership development course, he and his class are asked to come up with a way they would improve the company and Roman literally cannot think of a single thing yet he wants to be CEO 😂. The only reason any of these kids are even inconsideration for high level roles is because of who their father is.

In the context of the show I could envision a storyline where Greg leverages the information he got from Mattson into running a portion of the company (a role he would clearly be unqualified for).

Greg should have been working on progressing his career, getting roles with increasing responsibility (assistant to chief of staff to running a small team to running a business unit). In a way, this is exactly what Tim did, He was able to plant his hooks on the phone and gain more and more influence until he became the top guy.

Aight, we’re on the exact same page. You’re a business guy so you get it :lol: I peeped you in the grad students thread the other day too btw - congrats on the MBA pleighboi :nthat:

Aight, we’re on the exact same page. You’re a business guy so you get it :lol: I peeped you in the grad students thread the other day too btw - congrats on the MBA pleighboi :nthat:

We're 100% on the same page. Honestly, now that I think of it Tom is just a smarter, more competent version of Greg. If Greg played his cards right he could have parlayed his relationship with his family and the literal CEO of the company into a successful career but eventually Greg's incompetence would have shown itself. If I were Greg I would have played things a lot differently but at the end of the day, he's just a comic relief character

Now that I think of it, I don't think any of the kids had any genuine business successes to brag about. Roman had the satellite blow up all of Shiv's ventures failed and the only thing Kendall was ever good at was following his dad's orders. At least Tom had vision and had ATN performing well. It's arrogant for any of these people to think they deserve to be the CEO of a Fortune 100 company.

We're 100% on the same page. Honestly, now that I think of it Tom is just a smarter, more competent version of Greg. If Greg played his cards right he could have parlayed his relationship with his family and the literal CEO of the company into a successful career but eventually Greg's incompetence would have shown itself. If I were Greg I would have played things a lot differently but at the end of the day, he's just a comic relief character

Now that I think of it, I don't think any of the kids had any genuine business successes to brag about. Roman had the satellite blow up all of Shiv's ventures failed and the only thing Kendall was ever good at was following his dad's orders. At least Tom had vision and had ATN performing well. It's arrogant for any of these people to think they deserve to be the CEO of a Fortune 100 company.

All of the bolded. This show is Top 5 for me, probably Top 3 but it required me to suspend a lot of belief. Not because of the lavish lifestyle, cars, planes, fleet of choppers, family shenanigans, etc but because of the succession planning which just happens to be the entire premise of the show :lol:

I would imagine (or hope) Kendall started working their after undergrad and Logan made a comment once “I sent you to the best business schools” so I imagine he has an MBA from a top-tier school. So he has the education and should have the experience.

Shiv was not only absent in the business, she wasn’t in business at all! She was mainly in politics which is a perfectly acceptable lane to be in but just stay there :lol:

Roman, man….no offense but did he even go to school for business or something adjacent? Did he ever show interest in advancing prior to the time period of the show? If he even had educational background or experience, that’s 0 to 100.

Juxtapose this to real life successful family businesses such as Walmart (Waltons - 50%) or Comcast (Roberts - 33%).

When Sam Walton died his son Rob became Chairman. He got his JD from Columbia, worked at the firm that represented Walmart for about a decade then joined Walmart as a SVP and rose from there.

Ralph Roberts handed over the keys to his son when he turned 70. His son went to Wharton undergrad and started working at Comcast right after graduation.

There’s an obvious trend for how family businesses are transitioned within the family and Kendall was the only one who remotely fit the bill. The last four seasons were some of the best television I have ever seen but in reality there wouldn’t even be a discussion about who should run it if Logan intended to keep it in the family :lol: And if you don’t see Kendall fit then give him Chairman (he’d be pretty good at that tbh) and bring an outside CEO like Walmart then be done with it :lol:

All of the bolded. This show is Top 5 for me, probably Top 3 but it required me to suspend a lot of belief. Not because of the lavish lifestyle, cars, planes, fleet of choppers, family shenanigans, etc but because of the succession planning which just happens to be the entire premise of the show :lol:

I would imagine (or hope) Kendall started working their after undergrad and Logan made a comment once “I sent you to the best business schools” so I imagine he has an MBA from a top-tier school. So he has the education and should have the experience.

Shiv was not only absent in the business, she wasn’t in business at all! She was mainly in politics which is a perfectly acceptable lane to be in but just stay there :lol:

Roman, man….no offense but did he even go to school for business or something adjacent? Did he ever show interest in advancing prior to the time period of the show? If he even had educational background or experience, that’s 0 to 100.

Juxtapose this to real life successful family businesses such as Walmart (Waltons - 50%) or Comcast (Roberts - 33%).

When Sam Walton died his son Rob became Chairman. He got his JD from Columbia, worked at the firm that represented Walmart for about a decade then joined Walmart as a SVP and rose from there.

Ralph Roberts handed over the keys to his son when he turned 70. His son went to Wharton undergrad and started working at Comcast right after graduation.

There’s an obvious trend for how family businesses are transitioned within the family and Kendall was the only one who remotely fit the bill. The last four seasons were some of the best television I have ever seen but in reality there wouldn’t even be a discussion about who should run it if Logan intended to keep it in the family :lol: And if you don’t see Kendall fit then give him Chairman (he’d be pretty good at that tbh) and bring an outside CEO like Walmart then be done with it :lol:
Sounds alot like the Buss family. At some point Jerry told all these bums he wanted them to have it all, but they are not serious people. Jeanie was the only one that really worked in the business but that didnt necessarily make her competent to do so because she wants it and is somewhat qualified but she wants acknowledgement in all these other areas outside of the family business as well. Jim thought he should have it just cause and did alot of stuff on the perfirary of the business but never really directly involved until that one point jeanie gave him a shot and fired him 🤣. Johnny was like well fk ill do it if i have to, but i kinda just want to be rich im definitely not qualified for this can we just sell and get that $? 🤣

It wouldn't be a compelling TV show if Logan had raised emotionally stable, competent children but it would have made a lot more sense in real life.

Contrast this with Bernaud Arnault, the LVMH chairman, who sent all of his five children to the best schools and put them in positions in the company where they could work their way up and show their competency.

Or you can look at William Clay Ford, the great grandson of Henry Ford who is currently the executive chairman for Ford motors. He went to Princeton undergrad and has a masters from MIT and has actually been in the company for decades.

Logan let his kids flounder and fail, he emotionally abuses them and then one day said "I want one of you to be CEO". No wonder they fail!

Waystar is a publicly traded company so Logan could never unilaterally make one of his kids CEO. He would need to spend years grooming that person so that the board would see them as a viable candidate. We never know for sure but seems like Kendall was in that role but Logan didn't think he was ready. There's no way the board would have approved of Roman being co-CEO, It doesn't have a single credential or business accomplishment other than being Logan's son

Last edited:
Sounds alot like the Buss family. At some point Jerry told all these bums he wanted them to have it all, but they are not serious people. Jeanie was the only one that really worked in the business but that didnt necessarily make her competent to do so because she wants it and is somewhat qualified but she wants acknowledgement in all these other areas outside of the family business as well. Jim thought he should have it just cause and did alot of stuff on the perfirary of the business but never really directly involved until that one point jeanie gave him a shot and fired him 🤣. Johnny was like well fk ill do it if i have to, but i kinda just want to be rich im definitely not qualified for this can we just sell and get that $? 🤣

Bro! I was thinking traditional corporations but the Buss family would be spot on!! Rob Pelinka is Stewy :lol: But nah, that story does resemble the Roys with Jeanie being Kendall. Great call, man!

It wouldn't be a compelling TV show if Logan had raised emotionally stable, competent children but it would have made a lot more sense in real life.

Contrast this with Bernaud Arnault, the LVMH chairman, who sent all of his five children to the best schools and put them in positions in the company where they could work their way up and show their competency.

Or you can look at William Clay Ford, the great grandson of Henry Ford who is currently the executive chairman for Ford motors. He went to Princeton undergrad and has a masters from MIT and has actually been in the company for decades.

Logan let his kids flounder and fail, he emotionally abuses them and then one day said "I want one of you to be CEO". No wonder they fail!

Waystar is a publicly traded company so Logan could never unilaterally make one of his kids CEO. He would need to spend years grooming that person so that the board would see them as a viable candidate. We never know for sure but seems like Kendall was in that role but Logan didn't think he was ready. There's no way the board would have approved of Roman being co-CEO, It doesn't have a single credential or business accomplishment other than being Logan's son

All of this, man. All of this. And it’s not even a knock on the show either. Actually, the fact I continued to watch and enjoyed it despite all of this goes to show how good it was as a whole otherwise my opinion and view of the show would be entirely different.

I am not sure how to appropriately phrase this but I think they do just enough to make you realize the show isn’t entirely realistic or that it isn’t entirely serious (Greg/Tom’s relationship, Boar on the floor, Roman/Gerri relationship, the finale’s kitchen scene, etc.)

Bro! I was thinking traditional corporations but the Buss family would be spot on!! Rob Pelinka is Stewy :lol: But nah, that story does resemble the Roys with Jeanie being Kendall. Great call, man!

All of this, man. All of this. And it’s not even a knock on the show either. Actually, the fact I continued to watch and enjoyed it despite all of this goes to show how good it was as a whole otherwise my opinion and view of the show would be entirely different.

I am not sure how to appropriately phrase this but I think they do just enough to make you realize the show isn’t entirely realistic or that it isn’t entirely serious (Greg/Tom’s relationship, Boar on the floor, Roman/Gerri relationship, the finale’s kitchen scene, etc.)

Magic Wambsgans 🤣

I guess the Kurt Rambus and his wife would be Greg. Unqualified, incompetent friends of the family who somehow stay employed for years.

Is it safe to say that Logan failed as a father? His seed was so pathetic that he had to boss up a clown from Iowa

Logan is a classic example of why everyone has different definitions of success. From a career standpoint, he's probably one of the most successful people of last century. Built a media conglomerate from the ground up, he completely changed the media landscape, influenced American culture and swayed elections.

He was basically a failure in every other aspect of life though. You seemed miserable and unhappy most of the time. All of his relationships failed, his brother thought he was a monster and hated his guts, his kids didn't like him and he wasn't even able to groom any of them to take over after he died.

Logan is a classic example of why everyone has different definitions of success. From a career standpoint, he's probably one of the most successful people of last century. Built a media conglomerate from the ground up, he completely changed the media landscape, influenced American culture and swayed elections.

He was basically a failure in every other aspect of life though. You seemed miserable and unhappy most of the time. All of his relationships failed, his brother thought he was a monster and hated his guts, his kids didn't like him and he wasn't even able to groom any of them to take over after he died.
I agree with you per usual. Dude didn’t prepare his seed for life without him. All three kids were a joke without him

Back
Top Bottom