Hide Ya Wives, Hide Ya Kids: Worldwide Coronavirus Pandemic!

Are You Getting The Covid Vaccine?

• Yes

• No

• Only if mandatory

• Not if mandatory

• Undecided

Results are only viewable after voting.
Elon Musk gets owned on Twitter :rofl:

Full exchange in the spoiler:

Screen Shot 2020-07-02 at 10.29.08 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-07-02 at 10.29.20 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-07-02 at 10.29.39 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-07-02 at 10.29.52 PM.png

Standard at my hospital is if you get a positive test, you get tested again. 2 positives, then we consider patient COVID+

Standard at my hospital is if you get a positive test, you get tested again. 2 positives, then we consider patient COVID+
The test has high specificity (low number of false positives) so it seems odd that they'd need to verify a positive with a repeat test (but repeating a negative result when there's a high degree of clinical suspicion for covid-19 would be reasonable). Do you know what the reasoning is for this? How often does a patient test positive the first time and negative the second time?

It's possible the first test they do has lower specificity (maybe it's cheaper or faster or more widely available at the hospital), but antigen tests have even lower sensitivity than nucleic acid tests (more likely to be a false negative, thus you'd want to double-check a negative result, not a positive one), so that wouldn't make sense either.

I'm not doubting your hospital does this. I just can't think of why.

Last edited:
The test has high specificity (low number of false positives) so it seems odd that they'd need to verify a positive with a repeat test (but repeating a negative result when there's a high degree of clinical suspicion for covid-19 would be reasonable). Do you know what the reasoning is for this? How often does a patient test positive the first time and negative the second time?

It's possible the first test they do has lower specificity (maybe it's cheaper or faster or more widely available at the hospital), but antigen tests have even lower sensitivity than nucleic acid tests (more likely to be a false negative, thus you'd want to double-check a negative result, not a positive one), so that wouldn't make sense either.

I'm not doubting your hospital does this. I just can't think of why.

Not sure, but I would guess one part is a double check, one part is a timing thing. I've had patient test negative first, then positive, positive. She was starting to experience flu like symptoms and had potential exposure. When she was first admitted, tested her and it was negative. Then 48hrs later, tested positive, and another day later positive again. We do have different kinds as well. There's one rapid and one that takes a day or two.

Not sure, but I would guess one part is a double check, one part is a timing thing. I've had patient test negative first, then positive, positive. She was starting to experience flu like symptoms and had potential exposure. When she was first admitted, tested her and it was negative. Then 48hrs later, tested positive, and another day later positive again. We do have different kinds as well. There's one rapid and one that takes a day or two.
Follow up, is it possible that those 2 positive test results for the same individual could be counted as 2 separate positives in the state’s figures, as some have speculated?

Follow up, is it possible that those 2 positive test results for the same individual could be counted as 2 separate positives in the state’s figures, as some have speculated?
I was looking at covidtracking.com. It appears to be fairly complicated and varies state-by-state: https://covidtracking.com/data

In general, positive cases are people who tested positive for the first time. The process to remove doubles is sometimes called "de-duplication". For example, in Louisiana: "On June 19th, LDH removed 1666 duplicate and non resident cases after implementing a new de-duplicaton process."

Negative cases (and total cases) can sometimes include repeat testing (and in some cases include negative antibody tests, which artificially deflates the % positive rate).

I'm not sure about how the state/hospital counting gets figured. Here's a real example from last month
  • The testing lab ran 1,314 tests over a 24-hour period; 36 were positive.
  • As of noon on xxx, Occupational Health has tested 17,424 employees to date; there have been 186 positive results. Of these, 40 employees were asymptomatic.
  • Hospital patient numbers as of noon on xxxx:
    • xxxxx- 4 persons under investigation (PUI), 16 positives including 7 in ICU
    • xxxxx- 2 PUIs, 5 positives including 2 in ICU
    • xxxxx-0 PUIs, 2 positives
  • xxx had 27 new positive tests last week.

Wow. I mainly only go to the gas station and grocery store or I may bike around the area. Grocery store enforces it, everywhere else I see about half wearing it. I'll feel real weird biking with the mask on.

Wow. I mainly only go to the gas station and grocery store or I may bike around the area. Grocery store enforces it, everywhere else I see about half wearing it. I'll feel real weird biking with the mask on.

Same in Houston or some have it on under their nose, or as a chinstrap (even saw some wal mart employees rocking the chinstrap. I've seen quite a few bikers wearing these
shopping.jpeg

Ugh... have to do a mandatory covid test 3 days before my flight to Hawaii in order to avoid the 2 week quarantine. Not looking forward to that, my friend just had to take one before her surgery and said it was awful... but hey, I've got through old school STD testing aka qtip in the peehole so I guess I'm be fine.

My GFs mother is going back to work as a flight attendant even tho her family definitely doesn’t need the money....like at all. Don’t make no sense.

Ugh... have to do a mandatory covid test 3 days before my flight to Hawaii in order to avoid the 2 week quarantine. Not looking forward to that, my friend just had to take one before her surgery and said it was awful... but hey, I've got through old school STD testing aka qtip in the peehole so I guess I'm be fine.

you doing essential work or something? I thought NO tourists were able to avoid the 2 week quarantine. need some more deetz. I’ll go to Hawaii in a heartbeat if all I have to do is get a covid Test. But I’m not staying in my hotel the entire time, if that’s the case then I’m staying home.

side note: the peehole qtip Test was traumatizing. Never again :lol:

Back
Top Bottom