Home Buying & Real Estate Thread

any reason why u didnt go drip?

Drip irrigation is only for plants / shrubs / etc. right? The sprinkler system was already installed when I bought the house, but it has been nothing but trouble every single year. Finally dropped a stack last Fall to get it all fixed again, and then these sod guys chopped it all up

Any tips on how to get insider information on hot properties?
I been looking at 200-300k places in LA for investment. Mostly rundown places and by the time i see them they are marked as contingent/pending.

i mostly use realtor.com

should i just be more persistent on searching and refreshing areas? Or is there a site that has not yet listed properties?

If you want properties at a discount, they're probably gonna be rundown. You'll need someone in the game to help you find deals, can network at meet ups. Can pursue properties at auction, but that's a whole other thing.. Need cash too

If you want properties at a discount, they're probably gonna be rundown. You'll need someone in the game to help you find deals, can network at meet ups. Can pursue properties at auction, but that's a whole other thing.. Need cash too
yeah thats the thing, i can rebuild a run down place, but dont have cashh that most rundown places require

Drip irrigation is only for plants / shrubs / etc. right? The sprinkler system was already installed when I bought the house, but it has been nothing but trouble every single year. Finally dropped a stack last Fall to get it all fixed again, and then these sod guys chopped it all up

Im def glad I made an executive decision on the one new home I got and did not get a sprinkler system installed. Heard more than not they are headaches and trouble. I'm not that pressed with grass and plants too.

Yep. There is the base price of the house (the price that’s advertised), cost of options, and then the lot premium that goes into the overall purchase price. The better the location within the neighborhood the higher the premium.

We got a lot where the backyard isn’t back-to-back with another house’s backyard. Our lot cost 30k while the back-to-back lots only went for 5k. Ours should also have a lake view and is the second to last house on the row. Originally wanted the lot on the very end but it hasn’t been released yet and no telling how much it’ll actually go for.
Appreciate it! I thought lots were going for like 125k plus i didn't know they were going for so low. Makes me lean more towards a new build now.

Im def glad I made an executive decision on the one new home I got and did not get a sprinkler system installed. Heard more than not they are headaches and trouble. I'm not that pressed with grass and plants too.
I hate the grass in my backyard. Want to cement the whole thing. Or leave a little square patch of grass.

Re-doing our front yard ourselves. We bought the house in 2010 and the front was ok - took out a lot of overgrown shrub/bushes and laid grass initially. Since our front is southern exposure, it really takes a beating in the summer and the grass just never could keep up. So we tarped it up to kill it all and are going to do without grass. Doing some planting and other stuff.

PG&E is also good people in my book now - you know besides Paradise and inteptitude. At least their front line workers are.

Neighbor had a gas leak and they were out there to fix it but my neighbors weren't home. They did what they could but ultimately needed a car moved off the driveway. My wife offered to call they declined. Couple hours later they stopped by again and my wife did. Fast forward to later that evening - I'm out front working on pulling some rose bushes which for anyone who has them or knows, knows how hard it can be especially in our clay-*** soil. They had a bulldozer and offered to "grab" them for me. I declined like 3 times until they were going to load it up and they drove it over. Just picked them all off in like 10 mins. Saved me 3 days worth of work.

Looks like it's a good time to pop back up on NT .. The RE thread is looking good. Props to all those in the mix, already in it. Any of you on Bigger Pockets? Was curious to how you feel about the site, or the value of networking available on it.

I am trying to break into the game with a owner occupied MFR to start it off. I heard house hacking is a great entry tool.

I am searching in North Jersey as of now.

What do folks who live in high mosquito population areas do to control these little f***s?

Just built a fire pit I don't think I'll enjoy it as much from the inside :lol:

I'm only half joking. I live in CO where there are very few bugs in the arid climate, fortunately. But I come from MI, where you get bit just running from your house to the car in the driveway during summer nights.

Not sure there is much you can do besides DEET. They used to make these "foggers" that would create DEET clouds that you could spray around your property. Remove any standing water (bird baths etc) if possible. Citronella candles supposedly help. Other than that, DEET + layers

Looks like it's a good time to pop back up on NT .. The RE thread is looking good. Props to all those in the mix, already in it. Any of you on Bigger Pockets? Was curious to how you feel about the site, or the value of networking available on it.

I am trying to break into the game with a owner occupied MFR to start it off. I heard house hacking is a great entry tool.

I am searching in North Jersey as of now.

I'm lurking on bigger pockets quite a bit, especially when I got my head in the RE game. Plug in whatever question in the search box and someone has asked it before and has been discussed by investors/agents/lenders etc. I've mostly used it for gathering information, but have got a few contractor contacts off there, and helpful people.

Started on Bigger Pockets last week and I have been devoting a good chunk of my time. Instead of spending hours a week on Grailed, I've been on themls . The goal is a house hack in the next year. Los Angeles area

Started on Bigger Pockets last week and I have been devoting a good chunk of my time. Instead of spending hours a week on Grailed, I've been on themls . The goal is a house hack in the next year. Los Angeles area

I started house hacking in LA county to start my RE journey, have journaled it in this thread but... best investment I've made in my life. The long and the short of it is: Bought duplex in 2016 for 440k, now worth 600k+, took out HELOC and bought more investment properties. Moved to the bay this last year and it cash flows now that I've moved out

I started RE house hacking in LA county, have journaled it in this thread but... best investment I've made in my life. The long and the short of it is: Bought duplex in 2016 for 440k, now worth 600k+, took out HELOC and bought more investment properties. Moved to the bay this last year and it cash flows now that I've moved out

Thanks for that. I've been scouring the internet for success stories and you just added fuel to the fire.

Traditional duplexes in LA are out of my price range now. I want to buy a SFD and add an ADU to the back for myself. Then rent out the main house to a family. Only way I can make the numbers work

We decided to do a custom build in north NJ this year. Complete tear down and new foundation. Lot's of hard work/headaches from financing, design, build, etc. but also exciting to go through the process.

IMG_20200225_103225.jpg

IMG_20200307_093359.jpg

IMG_20200409_155753.jpg

Back
Top Bottom