Home Buying & Real Estate Thread

No documentation required, just "attestation", must be nice. I've been talking with a lawyer and basically theirs nothing I can do, and will continue to be nothing I can do in the near future.

wait until they're all out, then burn it down

My homegirl in Florida was renting with a friend of hers who stiffed her on the last months rent and had 5k in domages because the friend had an interior design degree and kept redesigning the room and balcony every 2 weeks.

My friend and the now ex-roommate are apparently not on speaking terms. She wanted to know if it's worth taking the ex-roommate to small claims court for the judgement. It will cost her money she doesn't have right now for court, plus there is no guarantee of payment.

I told her try to negotiate with leasing company buy the best they could do is Settle at 3800.

My friend is also realizing she needs to buy soon. She is a pretty, single woman in her 30's, she initially wanted to wait until in a relationship before buying because she wanted a partner to help her with the maintenance, however she recently realized if she continues to wait rent will just keep going up and she is even less likely to be in a buying position.

I really feel for shorty I know 5K isn't a ton to many of us but this will be a difficult hole for her to climb out of.

lol what does being pretty have to do with buying a home?

My mortgage just jumped about $100 and insurance went up about $1000 a year so now my mortgage is more than my renters were paying (never mind less the 10% to the property mgmt company) and I find out they put in a 30 day notice which is I guess a good thing. So I gotta re-rent at about $500 higher price at least or look at selling but I got a crappy realtor. She tombout she gon run some numbers and get back with me in about a week. I ran comps myself using zillow in about 10 minutes and sent it to her assistant. The same builder built multiple neighborhoods in that city so some of the same floor plan i got out there selling for 100k more than I currently owe. So maybe sell is the next move, but most likely I'll decide on a price both ways and tell her either or. List for like 240k and offer as a rental for maybe 1800, but her lazy *** I know gonna come back with some BS numbers and I am going to ask if I can fire her and she'll say I can't again. We had that convo before lol when I was in OKC and having to pay rent here and mortgage/utilities for it to sit on the market down there for 5 months

edit: here's the email, not to minimize what realtors do but literally you can just search the zip, check sold/pending and even sort by same # of beds and bath or sq footage if you want

0081E831-78AF-4786-A1A1-0EBFE856F013.jpeg

Last edited:
If i rent out my place:
1) Furnished or not furnished
2) Property management company or solo dolo

Just curious what works. I want to honestly be as hands off as possible. Focusing on work has to be my highest time priority at my current life stage.

Probably higher on the West coast but down here property management companies only charge 10%

Furnished or unfurnished depends on who you think your likely customer is. A 1 bedroom or studio Id probably do unfurnished but maybe offer furnished at an upcharge if needed. If its a family house they probably have a family home worth of their own shid

My mortgage just jumped about $100 and insurance went up about $1000 a year so now my mortgage is more than my renters were paying (never mind less the 10% to the property mgmt company) and I find out they put in a 30 day notice which is I guess a good thing. So I gotta re-rent at about $500 higher price at least or look at selling but I got a crappy realtor. She tombout she gon run some numbers and get back with me in about a week. I ran comps myself using zillow in about 10 minutes and sent it to her assistant. The same builder built multiple neighborhoods in that city so some of the same floor plan i got out there selling for 100k more than I currently owe. So maybe sell is the next move, but most likely I'll decide on a price both ways and tell her either or. List for like 240k and offer as a rental for maybe 1800, but her lazy *** I know gonna come back with some BS numbers and I am going to ask if I can fire her and she'll say I can't again. We had that convo before lol when I was in OKC and having to pay rent here and mortgage/utilities for it to sit on the market down there for 5 months

edit: here's the email, not to minimize what realtors do but literally you can just search the zip, check sold/pending and even sort by same # of beds and bath or sq footage if you want

0081E831-78AF-4786-A1A1-0EBFE856F013.jpeg
I’ve sold a couple properties now and you gotta make sure the profit good enough to make it worthwhile. Real estate agent commissions are gonna be several %, you’ll have to pay some closing costs and pay taxes on your profits come tax time

Last edited:
If i rent out my place:
1) Furnished or not furnished
2) Property management company or solo dolo

Just curious what works. I want to honestly be as hands off as possible. Focusing on work has to be my highest time priority at my current life stage.
If you wanna be as hands off as possible, go with a PM. You should put the time and effort in to find a good one though

^ this sounds bad but their concerns are valid. Should’ve just bought the land. Lol
If you read the article it’s a bunch of rich people complaining :lol:

The same “issues” they’re complaining about can be said for almost every city that is being mandated to build additional homes in California. But the “regular” people voices don’t matter.

The governor has issued a mandate for every city to build x amount of homes. If they don’t, they were threatened to lose funding from the state for their city if they don’t comply.

Down here in Southern California cities are packed af. They’re finding any little spots to build tri-level apartments/condos. Traffic is already horrendous as it is, just gonna get worse. That along with the the infrastructure not built for that much traffic/people/congestion

If you read the article it’s a bunch of rich people complaining :lol:

The same “issues” they’re complaining about can be said for almost every city that is being mandated to build additional homes in California. But the “regular” people voices don’t matter.

The governor has issued a mandate for every city to build x amount of homes. If they don’t, they were threatened to lose funding from the state for their city if they don’t comply.

Down here in Southern California cities are packed af. They’re finding any little spots to build tri-level apartments/condos. Traffic is already horrendous as it is, just gonna get worse. That along with the the infrastructure not built for that much traffic/people/congestion
Right. Like I said, their concerns are stereotypically valid. Lol that one lady sent me when she said she was “sickened” smh.

Anyone here a realtor with thoughts on part time realtors?

I’m looking at taking the realtor licensing course and exam to learn more as our family looks to purchase another property. We’re looking to expand into a rental portfolio or at the minimum a vacation rental.

I’m browsing around Redfin these days anyway and the prospect of connecting with more realtors/access to the MLS seems like an opportunity. Saving a little in the commissions and getting more knowledge seems like a win-win. I’m mainly iffy on whether the time expenditure would be worthwhile.

I've considered it many times but my realtor talked me out of it. I can't remember all of the exact stats but I do know the rate of attrition is extremely high (like 85%) in the first 5 years. Those that make it long term tend to do well.

I do see your angle of just having access to the MLS etc in advance but with tools like realtor.com, redfin, Zillow, etc it's pretty easy to see stuff as it populates on the MLS.

With time and experience realtors do get access to more off market deals just because they know more people selling and buying homes but that takes time and networking.

In an ideal world my girl would be the realtor and I'd just be the money and project manager. My girl don't ever listen tho so imma keep paying my realtor like I've been doing for the last decade or so.

I will say being a favored client has gotten me some really good off market deals. My realtor also found my current home (literally within minutes of it hitting the market) which we are close to finishing the rehab on.

I’m looking at taking the realtor licensing course and exam to learn more as our family looks to purchase another property. We’re looking to expand into a rental portfolio or at the minimum a vacation rental.

I’m browsing around Redfin these days anyway and the prospect of connecting with more realtors/access to the MLS seems like an opportunity. Saving a little in the commissions and getting more knowledge seems like a win-win. I’m mainly iffy on whether the time expenditure would be worthwhile.

B Sox B Sox

If you plan on actually building a portfolio of sorts, I definitely don’t think it would hurt.

Costs a few thousand a year with different fees, board memberships, etc to keep your license going. So as long as you do a deal a year or something like that you’d be fine.

There’s also a ton of investors around here that have their license but still frequently work with full time agents.

I've considered it many times but my realtor talked me out of it. I can't remember all of the exact stats but I do know the rate of attrition is extremely high (like 85%) in the first 5 years. Those that make it long term tend to do well.

I do see your angle of just having access to the MLS etc in advance but with tools like realtor.com, redfin, Zillow, etc it's pretty easy to see stuff as it populates on the MLS.

With time and experience realtors do get access to more off market deals just because they know more people selling and buying homes but that takes time and networking.

In an ideal world my girl would be the realtor and I'd just be the money and project manager. My girl don't ever listen tho so imma keep paying my realtor like I've been doing for the last decade or so.

I will say being a favored client has gotten me some really good off market deals. My realtor also found my current home (literally within minutes of it hitting the market) which we are close to finishing the rehab on.
I appreciate your perspective. I can see how it’d be beneficial to work in partnership with a realtor as the delineation of duties and incentives make it a win-win. Being entrenched in the buy and sell everyday increases the surface area for opportunities. Congratulations on the new home! Hope it’s going well and turning out how you wanted!
If you plan on actually building a portfolio of sorts, I definitely don’t think it would hurt.

Costs a few thousand a year with different fees, board memberships, etc to keep your license going. So as long as you do a deal a year or something like that you’d be fine.

There’s also a ton of investors around here that have their license but still frequently work with full time agents.
Thank you for the insight and the back of the envelope #’s. Yeah, either way I plan on working with full time agents as I won’t be as successful working alone, and it’s probably less fun that way too.

So the fence between this rental i manage and the neighbor house went down.
this guy is one of those landscaper dudes that can fix anything.
So idk how much of the fence went down but this guy took down the whole fence and is like im rebuilding the whole fence from scratch and he didnt even tell me he just started doing it.
I have scraps of fence that i could have used to fix the broken portions. Anyways hes been wanting to do it and in the summer asked me to pay him $4,500 to put up a block wall which i said sorry bud too expensive.
so now he is redoing this whole fence without asking me and just asked if i can “help” him with the cost and that him and his son are doing all the labor and on saturday he told me so far he spent $1500 and right now he just called me but i ignored his call cuz i didnt want to get scammed into paying alot.
He texted me today saying
FBF5EF6A-56B1-4FA7-8D2E-84503C01360C.jpeg

What’s the fair thing to do? I do many projects and have material to for sure fix a fence without buying much but he just euro stepped me and did this all by himself

So the fence between this rental i manage and the neighbor house went down.
this guy is one of those landscaper dudes that can fix anything.
So idk how much of the fence went down but this guy took down the whole fence and is like im rebuilding the whole fence from scratch and he didnt even tell me he just started doing it.
I have scraps of fence that i could have used to fix the broken portions. Anyways hes been wanting to do it and in the summer asked me to pay him $4,500 to put up a block wall which i said sorry bud too expensive.
so now he is redoing this whole fence without asking me and just asked if i can “help” him with the cost and that him and his son are doing all the labor and on saturday he told me so far he spent $1500 and right now he just called me but i ignored his call cuz i didnt want to get scammed into paying alot.
He texted me today saying
FBF5EF6A-56B1-4FA7-8D2E-84503C01360C.jpeg

What’s the fair thing to do? I do many projects and have material to for sure fix a fence without buying much but he just euro stepped me and did this all by himself
I'd pay half and call it a day. I've been quoted more for less.

I have the opposite problem :lol: . Neighbor built the side fence himself. Before he started he asked if I would be willing to split the cost of materials to which I agreed (and I planned to throw a little on top for labor). After he finished I asked him in-person to send me the bill. Then I followed up with a text a few days later. Still nothing and we've had a few interactions since. I think I've done my due diligence to pay my part. I don't chase people down to take my money.

Back
Top Bottom