Houston Texans Thread 2018 Vol. Destroy & Rebuild - Preseason

I've been keeping up with all the signings and everything, but haven't really been posting cause the stench of Bob McNair has been very off-putting, but I'm gonna go ahead and just post a bunch of stuff right now. Just glad moves are being made. There's a good segment of fans who are pissed that the Texans haven't brought in every free agent possible and signed them all, which is unrealistic anyway. Other than Norwell going to the Jags, and EJ Gaines possibly signing with the Cardinals, I don't really feel like we missed out and are in dire straits, especially based on the chunks of money people are getting (wanted Jimmy Graham here, but not for 22 million with business decisions on both blocking and catching.)

Houston Texans hold 3 picks on Day 2 of NFL draft
By JOSHUA KOCH, Associated Press

HOUSTON - First-year Houston Texans general manager Brian Gaine will get his first chance to select a player in the NFL draft on Friday.

The Texans had no picks in the first round Thursday night and none in the second round, either - the first time that has happened in franchise history.

The Texans own three picks in the third round, at No. 68 overall, No. 80 and No. 98. The team has needs on the offensive line, at tight end and in the secondary.

Houston lost tight end C.J. Fiedorowicz to retirement this offseason and earlier this month released offensive tackle Derek Newton.

In the secondary, the Texans re-signed Johnathan Joseph and signed free agent Tyrann Mathieu and extended Corey Moore's contract, but are still expected to draft for that area.

Like how this draft is shaping up, even though we won't know how everything will shake out until the start of the season when we're down to 53 guys.

From Battle Red Blog:

The 2018 NFL Draft has ended and your Houston Texans have eight brand new players to call their own. Some will contribute, others will get cut in training camp, but all will be Texans.

So if you haven’t watched all seven rounds of the draft, and frankly why would you not watch them all, here’s a roundup of our newest Texans excluding all UDFAs signed by the team; those will be covered in a separate post because page clicks.

Round 3 - Pick 4 (68) - Justin Reid, Safety, Stanford

Round 3 - Pick 16 (80) - Martinas Rankin, Tackle, Mississippi State

Round 3 - Pick 34 (98) - Jordan Akins, Tight End, Central Florida

Round 4 - Pick 3 (103) - Keke Coutee, Wide Receiver, Texas Tech

Round 6 - Pick 3 (177) - Duke Ejiofor, Defensive End, Wake Forest

Round 6 - Pick 37 (211) - Jordan Thomas, Tight End, Mississippi State

Round 6 - Pick 40 (214) - Peter Kalambayi, Defensive End, Stanford

Round 7 - Pick 4 (222) - Jermaine Kelly, Defensive Back, San Jose State

Four Observations On The Houston Texans After the 2018 NFL Draft
SEAN PENDERGAST | APRIL 30, 2018 | 4:00AM

The 2018 NFL Draft is in the books, and if the ratings on the draft are any indicator, perhaps the regular season dip in television ratings we've seen the past couple seasons is just temporary. According to a press release from the league, the first round of the draft, which featured coverage on the NFL Network, ESPN, FOX, ESPN2, and ESPN Deportes, delivered the second largest viewership for a draft opening night in league history.

To quantify, the combined 11.2 million viewers drew a 7.0 cumulative rating, and that was an increase of 22 percent and 27 percent, respectively, in those metrics, as compared to the 2017 NFL Draft. A handful of those viewers were folks in the Texans' front office, relegated to watching the other 31 teams enhance their rosters while they sat by and fiddled with their big board.

Of course, the reason the Texans lacked a first round pick — the 2017 trade up to get QB Deshaun Watson — was totally worth it, and eventually the Texans filled out an eight man draft class that we will classify as "wait and see." There were some universally approved selections (Justin Reid in the third round) and a few head scratchers (two tight ends, but just one offensive lineman?).

Sprinkle in a few undrafted free agents, and now we have a 90-man roster to sink our teeth into. The Texans' decisions over the last few days reveal a few things and spur a few questions. Here are four Texans observations I have after draft weekend:

4. Secondary is crowded
Prior to free agency, most of my observations on the Texans' secondary circled back to something along the lines of "Man, they just need bodies!" Then, they sign cornerback Aaron Colvin, they re-sign cornerback Johnathan Joseph, they sign safety Tyrann Mathieu, and they draft safety Justin Reid. We are all praying for a Kevin Johnson rejuvenation in 2017, but we know, at least, he will be part of the mix. Andre Hal is penciled in as a starter at safety, for now. Oh, did I mention that Kareem Jackson is still on the team? My point is that now, all of a sudden, there are seven capable bodies in an area of the team where, most of the time, five guys, MAYBE six, see the field. (Four are listed as starters, for what it's worth.) If I were Kareem Jackson's people, I might have my eye on secondary situations around the league, as he is the most contractually (and functionally) expendable player of this bunch.

3. Bring your "versatility" card
I heard Paul Gallant say this on the Texans' draft show over the weekend about the Texans' second third round pick, Mississippi State offensive tackle Martinas Rankin — he is listed as a center on some websites, is viewed by many as a guard, and drafted by the Texans with hopes he will be a solid tackle (which he was in the SEC last season, garnering first team all-SEC honors). We know that versatility is almost viewed as a necessity by GM Brian Gaine and head coach Bill O'Brien, and man, they take that to the extreme on the offensive line. There's not a single guy on their depth chart that hasn't played, or at least been openly discussed, as a guy who can play multiple positions. The Texans should conduct a Powerball style pool to reward the fan who can correctly guess the five linemen (and their positions) that will open Week 1 in New England.

2. Anything for Deshaun
Along with "versatility," another key element of the Brian Gaine code this offseason has been to do whatever it takes to help Deshaun Watson thrive. This is a logical and encouraging way for the first time GM to assess his decisions. Every decision Gaine makes should be made with the question "Is this in the best interest of Deshaun Watson?" chiming in the background. It would appear that Gaine approached the draft in this fashion, as, after the Reid selection, the next three players taken were all on the offensive side of the ball — a potential left tackle in Rankin, a play making tight end in Jordan Akins, and an explosive slot receiver in Texas Tech's Keke Coutee. Watson generated well over 30 points of offense a game last season with rags along the offensive line, Ryan Griffin as the only real tight end, and not much at wide receiver after DeAndre Hopkins and Will Fuller. The selection of Coutee alone is something that should excite Texans fans.

1. Alignment — the O'Brien and Gaine Story
The theme of "everybody pulling in the same direction," in the wake of the uber-divisive Rick Smith Era, was on display again this weekend. Here was Gaine's first answer following the completion of the draft class on Saturday afternoon, when we was asked how it was to finish up his first draft as a GM:

“Exciting. I would call it a partnership with Coach (Bill) O’Brien. Great process as it relates to what we put in place with the scouts and the unification with the coaches as well as the medical. Everybody coming together working together, hand in hand to achieve the best results. But, I would describe it as a great team effort.”

Alignment, partnership, coming together... all of that, expressed on repeat. Hell, I feel like we're a few joint pressers away from Gaine pulling out Rick Smith's face on a cardboard cutout on a stick, like the ones they use on PTI, and he and O'Brien role playing what his conversations with Smith used to be like:

O'BRIEN: "Hey, Rick, are you really saddling me with Breno GIacomini at right tackle?"

GAINE (holding a SMITH cutout face): "Well, Bill, I can't answer that, but WHAT I WILL TELL YOU is that I'm on the competition committee."

And guess what? I'm fine with Gaine and O'Brien over-communicating their love for one another. Whatever works. Just pick good players. Hopefully, that's what they've done these last few days. - HOUSTON PRESS

BRUH, wtf :lol:

Ehh I don't mind the signing just for 1 year :lol: he actually looked better than Miller in some spots. Seems like they're banking on Foreman completely taking over the starting role since they really didn't address that position. Of course, the Texans wouldn't be in this position if they didn't have Miller gain weight and treat him like a Ron Dayne power back instead of an edge running speed guy like he naturally is.

F1F1BCB6-1E97-4031-B388-55C88187CDAF.jpeg

Unknown Players You Need To Know For Texans-Chiefs

Football is here. It may be preseason, but it is here. The battle for the 53-man roster is underway, and from all the training camp reports at The Greenbrier, there is fierce competition for spots on the back half of the roster.

Practicing well in training camp is important, but for a player on the bubble what they demonstrate in the four preseason games will define their career.

There are 90 men currently on the Texans roster. You know all the big names, but here are six lesser-known names who are suiting up against the Chiefs who will be vying for a roster spot come September.

Troymaine Pope, RB, #33

Pope is your candidate if you re looking for a surprise name on the offensive depth chart when the first game of the regular season arrives. Pope has the opportunity to get a lot of action this week with Foreman on the Physically Unable to Play list, Lamar Miller not needing many preseason reps, and the Texans already knowing what they have in Alfred Blue. Pope is in his second season in the NFL. He played for the Seahawks and Jets last year. Pope possesses a low center of gravity combined with agility and patience. Check out his 2016 highlight tape.

There has been a ton of excitement in training camp about the young running back. Injuries have set Pope back. He was listed on IR at the end of the 2016 season. Mainly, he will be battling with Tyler Ervin for the last RB spot on the roster. He’ll have a good game if he stays patient and runs behind his pads instead of bouncing the run to the outside at the first sign of trouble.

LeTroy Lewis, OLB, #52

Lewis suited up for the Texans late last season and was not half bad as an edge-setting OLB. His biggest challenge will be rotating with rookie OLBs Peter Kalambayi and Duke Ejiofor. He had an amazing pick-six last year against the Cowboys in the preseason back when he was playing for the Raiders.

With Whitney Mercilus out for this preseason game, there will be many opportunities for these young linebackers to shine. Lewis can secure a role on this roster with excellent special teams play and stalwart run defense.

Matt Lengel, TE, #82

The tight end position is a scrapheap of players. It’s the job of Brian Gaine and Bill O’Brien to find the right mix of talent to go into the season with. Lengel is the best blocking TE on the roster; the two Houston drafted are more better receivers than blockers. With how atrocious the offensive line can be, having a reliable tight end to help delay the pass rush could be a key asset. However, the Texans are already contemplating keeping four tight ends ( Ryan Griffin, Stephen Anderson, Jordan Akins, and Jordan Thomas), so will they entertain the idea of a fifth? Could Lengel knock one of these four to the waiver wire?

Deandrew White, WR, #11

Former Crimson Tide wide receiver and North Shore High School product is facing a deep depth chart ahead of him. There will be plenty of reps for him to try and climb into roster contention, but he must be flawless when he gets those opportunities. Right now, the Texans are looking for an X-factor third option receiver. That position is wide open for the taking. White excels when he is in short yardage situations where he can use his agility to outmatch his defender. White is a good route runner. To make the roster he’ll have to be more consistent than Miller and more dynamic than Ellington.

Dee Virgin, CB, #34

Virgin definitely has a chance to make the roster as a special teams ace. His play as a corner will come down to maybe one or two big plays this preseason. There are a ton of young corners each year who compete for the last spot, and Virgin will definitely be in the mix. What he lacks in elite speed he makes up for in good tackling and play recognition. His tape from West Alabama shows he’s a better outside corner than nickel corner. He prefers to play with outside leverage on the wide receiver.

Kyle Fuller, OG/C, #61

I know offensive lineman aren’t fun to watch, but the Texans need someone(s) to step up and Fuller may be the man to do it. Drafted by the Texans in the seventh round last year, Fuller is a developmental offensive lineman who physically is an NFL-caliber player. His technique at Baylor was less than optimal, which has been something the team has been constantly reworking in an effort to prepare him for a larger role. It will be interesting to see if he can pick up where he left off last season.

I'm excited for this season. I think we're going to surprise a lot people especially with all the talent we have on this team

Nice little game here. Everybody made it out healthy, which was pretty much my only concern. It's just preseason, but sometimes things can carry over to the regular season (both good and bad), so it was good to see a lot of positives in this 1st game. The line played well, giving the RBs steady running lanes, and quite a few guys stood out in general. The TE spot is pretty much wide open, and Akins stepped up. Ejiofor, Pope, Keyes, Cole, and a couple others put the spotlight on themselves, and hopefully they can carry that over down the line.

Joe Webb :rofl: guy was giving his all, can't be mad at him. Lamar Miller looked like Miami Miller in the little time he had on the field. No way in hell should he have bulked up when he first got here. Deshaun will have a field day with the potential of this WR core. Coates may be a gem, and Braxton Miller could be feeling the heat and finally be the x-factor type dude the Texans hoped for when they drafted him.

TEX.PNG

tex2.PNG
tex3.PNG
tex4.PNG
tex5.PNG

Last edited:
Just like the Mexico game a couple years ago, this was clearly a 1st down, but oh well, refs can be in mid season form as well :lol:

Yeah that was clearly a first down but oh well we still won. I liked how the backup defense played. It was even better that they was going against KC's starters and were doing well. So glad RAC is back at defensive coordinator.

This game was absolutely brutal to watch outside of the first scoring series of both teams, and the very last scoring series :lol: there were an ungodly amount of penalties, most of which were iffy "lowering the head" penalties. I really hope these calls are just the refs trying to get themselves together in preseason, or else, the regular season will be awful, and will turn away viewers far more than they claim kneeling has down.

Haven't heard an update on Kevin Johnson's injury, but I guess since he was able to walk off the field, it's not nearly as bad as it looked, which was terrible. Wouldn't be surprised if he didn't play the rest of the preseason. Bademosi got some good snaps, so that was beneficial. The linebackers looked really good, might be the deepest position on the roster. Can't wait til everyone is actually on the field at the same time, but getting these younger guys PT will be important for the long run. Ejiofor looked like a stud again. Dee Virgin had ups and downs. Braxton Miller clearly knows this is his last shot, and the Texans are making a concentrated effort to get him the ball. He's probably lucky Keke Coutee has been injured, as they're very high on him. We also saw how much of an athlete Joe Webb is and how strong his arm is, but we ALSO saw why he's mostly been a backup his whole career :lol:

https://texanswire.usatoday.com/2018/08/19/studs-duds-texans-17-10-victory-49ers/

Waiting for the regular season to start. Been out the football loop for a while.

Back
Top Bottom