How do you feel about the term "culture vulture"?

Naw there are legit culture vultures.

You can be you and make black music, Robin Thicke. You don't have to put on a "uniform" to do it.

You're insulting our intelligence with that one.

Shock G corny? >D

Nah. Humpty was just them giving it up to Parliament and Sir Nose Devoid of Funk.

poster.jpg

3c6585cfe771731deeda6568f1728adf.jpg

George-Clinton-and-the-P-Funk-Allstars-7-with-Sir-Nose-at-BB-Kings-in-Manhattan-on-April-9-2010-photo-by-Stephanie-Keith.jpg

Last edited:
Shock G corny? >D

Nah. Humpty was just them giving it up to Parliament and Sir Nose Devoid of Funk.

Someone can do something before and it can still be corny

So if someone had a dude in a diaper that would be cool? Naw, it's still corny. Corny then, and corny now.

My point is they made good music while paying homage. What made them corny?

If you were around during the 90s pretend you don't know the lyrics to at least one Digital Underground track.

Last edited:

If you were around during the 90s pretend you don't know the lyrics to at least one Digital Underground track.

Yeah, and I thought the nose was corny.

Pretending Shock G and Humpty Hump were different people was corny.

It was corny. Who cares if parliament did it before. Wearing glasses, dressing weird and wearing a nose was corny, and it's a big reason Digital Underground only get mentioned because Tupac came from them.

Here's one: Is Kelsey Grammer a culture vulture?

U know what, based off of his political support, I'd have to say yes. And it sucks because he gave the culture Girlfriends, The Game (spinoff of Girlfriends), and other notable things.

It was corny. Who cares if parliament did it before. Wearing glasses, dressing weird and wearing a nose was corny, and it's a big reason Digital Underground only get mentioned because Tupac came from them.

I can respect that opinion, but he still gave us one of the hardest verses on a stop the violence campaign song.

Last edited:

RZA/Bobby Digital
Madlib/Quasimoto
MF DOOM/Viktor Vaughn/King Gedorah/Zev Love X
Koop Keith/Dr. Octagon/Black Elvis/etc.
Eminem/Slim Shady

All MCs with alter egos. I disagree that it makes them corny.

Oh and Parliament started the whole alter ego and different band name hustle to be able to sign multiple record contracts. Genius ****.

Last edited:
RZA/Bobby Digital
Madlib/Quasimoto
MF DOOM/Viktor Vaughn/King Gedorah/Zev Love X
Koop Keith/Dr. Octagon/Black Elvis/etc.
Eminem/Slim Shady

All MCs with alter egos. I disagree that it makes them corny.

Oh and Parliament started the whole alter ego and different band name hustle to be able to sign multiple record contracts. Genius ****.

You're comparing alternate names to wearing a fake nose, dressing corny and legit acting like they're different people? Come on b.

So Diaper Man was for multiple contracts? No it was a gimmick and for attention, the same reason Shock G did it. He got it, both good and bad.

There's a reason Digital Underground never get mentioned along with Outkast, De La and Tribe. And the reason was Humpty Hump.

Em had the Dre stimulus package. If he signed directly to a label with no co-sign he would have never popped.

I'm good. If you think Kool Keith didn't put a wig on and a costume and Zev Love X wears a metal gladiator mask with glasses on the outside as MF DOOM or Bobby Digital coming up with a super weed story as to how he transformed, then either you're unaware or being intellectually dishonest.

And as far as Parliament:

During a contractual dispute with Revilot, Clinton temporarily lost the rights to the name "The Parliaments", and signed the ensemble to Westbound Records as Funkadelic, which Clinton positioned as a funk-rock band featuring the five touring musicians with the five Parliaments singers as uncredited guests. With Funkadelic as a recording and touring entity in its own right, in 1970 Clinton relaunched the singing group, now known as Parliament, at first featuring the same ten members. Clinton was now the leader of two different acts, Parliament and Funkadelic, which featured the same members but were marketed as creating two different types of funk.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parliament_(band)

Kool Keith did the same thing. He's talked about it in interviews. We Tang did something similar.

The point is

Rock isn't typically "our" culture...yes it originated from the chuck berrys and all that but in American pop culture you know that's not what is really considered rock culture

they aren't copying chuck berry they're copying portishead and coldplay who again aren't even rock artists they're alternative

who's culture does "alternative" music come from

why is it only culture vulturing when someone takes from our culture

Are rappers culture vultures for rocking Versace and other European designers

to be more specific, portishead fits into the category of "trip-hop," which takes a lot of influence from hip-hop, r&b, jazz, dub, etc.

and trip-hop came out of black british communities

Last edited:
Silly. It just means "people of your skin color did not invent/do not usually partake in [insert cultural concept] therefore it is impossible you as an individual genuinely like [aforementioned cultural concept] but instead mean to co-opt [cultural concept] for financial gain." Whenever I hear it used seriously it just tells me the person using it close minded.

So much disrespect in this thread, and I haven't even read through it. Cats saying em is better than Nas??

NAS RAPPED A STORY BACKWARDS IN "REWIND"
NAS RAPPED AS A GUN IN "I GAVE YOU POWER"
NAS RAPPED AS A PRISON CELL IN"LAST WORDS"
THATS CALLED PERSONIFICATION. THEY TEACH ABOUT THAT IN PHD COLLEGE COURSES.

Nas is a real legend. He dropped out of 8th grade and got more brains than half of these law degree cats out there. Like Canibus said in desperados "My intelligence begins where yours peaks at"
Nas put Queens on the map. He opened up doors for thousands of MCs. He made it be cool to be a smooth cat. Eminem is not even on the same caliber as Nas

Come on man

"Yo I got, guns from Italy, smoke trees, considerably
Mid-state and Green it seems, is where all my ****** be
The ghetto misery, shootouts and liquor stores
A perpendicular, angle of the clout war
Police searchin' up my Lex over who's petrol
My tech blows straight off the roof and tests yo' respect though
But dough don't respect me, it got me handcuffed
The rough life, I just be up nights, breathin' with scuffed Nike's
Pour my beers for my peoples under the stairs
These years I got they names in my swears
Poppin' Cristal like it's my first child, lickin' shots, holiday style
Rockin' Steele sweaters, Wallaby down
Twenty-four carats, countin' cabbage, like the Arabs
The marriage of me and the mic is just like magic
Elegant performance, bubble Lex full insurance
Guzzlin' Guinness shootin' catchin' cases concurrent
It's Nas, seven hundred wives, King Solomon size
We on the rise, me and G, ghetto wise guys
The Luciano Frankie Aiel, Bugsy Seagal
Green papers with eagles from a tray that's illegal

VERSUS

His palms are sweaty, knees weak arms are heavy, there's vomit on his sweater already, mom's spaghetti...boobity boo, beebity bee...now everybody in the 313 put your hands up and follow me"

No competition B

nah sc is dead serious. he's shown a handful of times his tastes are very peculiar to put it nicely

Here's one: Is Kelsey Grammer a culture vulture?
You could just say that he was a savvy tv producer who saw that there was an opening for a black female version of something like sex and the city and capitalized on it. It happened to end up helping the culture but that likely wasn't his intention as opposed to somebody like Tyler perry who's goal at times is to employ black actors

Back
Top Bottom