How much do Medical/Dental benefits mean to you?

How much do benefits mean to you?

• Not much, I'm pretty healthy.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Everything, to me and my fam.

• I don't care

• Total voters
I now have an option to sign up for benefits, I'm relatively healthy so I am a bit hesitant to give part of my check to the man.

How much do benefits mean to you? 

A lot. I was perfectly healthy and in great physical shape around 3-4 years ago.. I had a good social life, worked out at the gym several times a week and was close to graduating my first year of my nursing bachelor as second in my class. Now I've been chronically ill for almost 3 years and as of this month I have received my disability certificate from the social security agency. I've lost pretty much all of my muscle mass I had gained over the years and am essentially confined to my house as my body can't handle even the slightest bit of physical activity. I never thought I'd ever be in the position I am now. There was absolutely nothing that pointed towards this happening to me, the disease just kind of came out of nowhere and pretty much crippled me in no time. Started with mild leg pains that persisted 24/7 and progressively got worse. A year later I started getting severe muscle cramps and weakness in my legs during physical activity and lost the ability to ride my bicycle for longer than a few minutes. Then the cramps spread to my arms and now it's my whole body. I can't even talk in full sentences anymore if I'm doing some mild physical activity such as walking or carrying something because my muscles can no longer provide sufficient energy to do so.

The problem is my disease still doesn't have a diagnosis after all these years and I have been referred to a special team of doctors who only take very tough cases. The past year alone I've made more than a dozen hospital trips and all sorts of testing, including a DNA test. Healthcare works very differently over here than in the US but as you can imagine all those bills start to add up. 

The point is, don't take your health for granted. You might not think it could ever happen to you but I said the same thing and look where I'm at now. Better safe than sorry.

Last edited:
I have a HSA and love it.  Not having to pay out of pocket for new glasses and teeth cleanings every year is great.  If you have the option for healthcare, get it.   No reason not to.

A lot. I was perfectly healthy and in great physical shape around 3-4 years ago.. I had a good social life, worked out at the gym several times a week and was close to graduating my first year of my nursing bachelor as second in my class. Now I've been chronically ill for almost 3 years and as of this month I have received my disability certificate from the social security agency. I've lost pretty much all of my muscle mass I had gained over the years and am essentially confined to my house as my body can't handle even the slightest bit of physical activity. I never thought I'd ever be in the position I am now. There was absolutely nothing that pointed towards this happening to me, the disease just kind of came out of nowhere and pretty much crippled me in no time. Started with mild leg pains that persisted 24/7 and progressively got worse. A year later I started getting severe muscle cramps and weakness in my legs during physical activity and lost the ability to ride my bicycle for longer than a few minutes. Then the cramps spread to my arms and now it's my whole body. I can't even talk in full sentences anymore if I'm doing some mild physical activity such as walking or carrying something because my muscles can no longer provide sufficient energy to do so.
The problem is my disease still doesn't have a diagnosis after all these years and I have been referred to a special team of doctors who only take very tough cases. The past year alone I've made more than a dozen hospital trips and all sorts of testing, including a DNA test. Healthcare works very differently over here than in the US but as you can imagine all those bills start to add up. 

The point is, don't take your health for granted. You might not think it could ever happen to you but I said the same thing and look where I'm at now. Better safe than sorry.

Homie. Stay up, bro. Get well soon.

But yea it extremly important OP...i was on the same boat..not wanting to get coverage cuz i figured i was good...until i had 2-3 scares this past year with something as simple as allergies...saw the hospital bills for a quick visit and thanked god for my job and its health plan as ****** as it is.

Dude said $5.00 a month. :lol: Unless you're in middle school and you paying another cat to keep an eye on the bullies for you, you talking nonsense.

Belgium Belgium I wish you nothing but the best man.

But yes, take health care/dental/etc. seriously. You may feel invincible now, but you're gonna age quickly. Trust.

Get them, if you ever need braces for your kids or have to get a major dental,procedure like a root canal its worth it.

I use the dental and get my teeth cleaned twice a year.

I pay 25.00 a week for health, dental and vision at work..the actual health coverage is horrible but the vision and dental ok..5 dollars a month..wish I worked there :nerd:

Those benefits are incredibly important, especially dental which you will likely use more than the medical.

Dude said $5.00 a month. :lol: Unless you're in middle school and you paying another cat to keep an eye on the bullies for you, you talking nonsense.

But yes, take health care/dental/etc. seriously. You may feel invincible now, but you're gonna age quickly. Trust.
Get a job at a Fortune 500 it literally is $5-10 per month... that's the only reason most people stay.

That first part made me :lol:

But agreed its better to have it. Stuff can happen out of no where and not being covered will be a huge expense and headache on top of the stress of whatever ailment happens (god forbid).

Belgium Belgium stay up fam. Hoping ur situation gets better soon time bro

It's very worth it. If you ever have an emergency, you'll be thankful that you have it. If you don't at least, you have the peace of mind that you won't have to worry about it. When or if you do, check to see if you can get PPO insurance because HMO is okay but can be a hassle.

Just get it. The cheapest one is better than nothing, you never know when an emergency will happen. Plus it lowers you taxable income. If you think about it, if your employer covers some of the cost, you're losing out on compensation by not getting it.

One of the main reasons I dont leave my job at this very moment is because of the healthcare...

Back
Top Bottom