I never Knew so many people were against Affirmative Action...

Originally Posted by HOVKid

Clearly rascism isn't dead, but if a black man can become President, why do we need affirmative action?

I'm Jewish. We may be the most persecuted people in the world. How come there is no affitrmative action for Jews? There are people that are rascist toward Jews, right? The reason Jewish affirmative action doesn't exist is because Jews were not put in a position where they couldn't acheive in this country. Black people were. That is a horrible thing so affirmative action was a way to solve it.

Now that black people can acheive (note: Even MORE than Jews since a Jewish person has never been President), why do we need affirmative action?
I don't have anything against jewish people, but you can hide the fact that your jewish (if you wanted to) you can't hide being black.It's harder to point out a jewish person over pointing out a black person.
Also, to all those saying, "what about the qualified white person not getting into the school or getting the job." What about the qualified blackpeople that don't get the job or get into the school, because thier black?

Jews, historically, may have experienced greater deal of persecution than blacks, but not in this country. Not by a long shot.

in my life, it was harder for me to get into college, it was harder for me to get a job and it is harder for me to get promoted because im a white male ...

on one hand i dont really feel like paying for what white people (although not exclusively) did 200 years ago ... on the other hand, theres really nothing ican do about it but work harder and hope to cath a break ...

i will say this though, in the grand scheme of things, right now minorities have it as good if not better when it comes to schooling/job opportunities ...

in my life, it was harder for me to get into college, it was harder for me to get a job and it is harder for me to get promoted because im a white male ...

on one hand i dont really feel like paying for what white people (although not exclusively) did 200 years ago ... on the other hand, theres really nothing i can do about it but work harder and hope to cath a break ...

i will say this though, in the grand scheme of things, right now minorities have it as good if not better when it comes to schooling/job opportunities ...
Incorrect.
You just probably suck at marketing yourself or you are extra average.

Financial Aid is NOT based on race and has NOTHING to do with AA. It is all based on combined earnings between you and your family.

Originally Posted by Emmanuel Goldstein

on one hand i dont really feel like paying for what white people (although not exclusively) did 200 years ago ... on the other hand, theres really nothing i can do about it but work harder and hope to cath a break ...

roll.gif
, worked harder as a white male

roll.gif

Originally Posted by West2East

Financial Aid is NOT based on race and has NOTHING to do with AA. It is all based on combined earnings between you and your family.
naw man, they gave all his financial aid that he needed so desperately to some under-qualified, caked-up black kids....

eyes.gif

Originally Posted by ICUP

Incorrect.
You just probably suck at marketing yourself or you are extra average.
laugh.gif
... im not getting into it but i have specifiic instancesand have won a case against my previous employer for biased promotions and mistreatment ... i dunno if everyone knows but you can file complaints regardless ofrace and it does work if you feel you got the shaft ...

i already have my degree from a nice school ... already have a job ... and actually just heard this morning that i will be getting a promotion at the end ofjuly ... im on my way, but as i said in my experience i have had it harder than most of my minority friends ... now granted, i havent made it to the extrasuper corporate setting where i golf 3 days a week and work for a few hours, but at the entry/lower level thats my experience ...

now granted, i havent made it to the extra super corporate setting where i golf 3 days a week and work for a few hours,
yeah, cause there's so many minorities there already.....you just got left out....due to racialbias...

roll.gif

eyes.gif

wow i didnt even know this thread made it past the first page..But i just stopped in to say that AA definitely has its place today in society. Minorities arejust now being allowed to reach their full potential in upper management, yet they still have failed to penetrate the CEO level jobs. The same goes for womenas well..I expect future generations to do well when it comes to diversifying the workplace, but thats the thing..its gonna take GENERATIONS.

We must realize that white folks have a firm hold and network in place that will ensure that they move up through the ranks, and just a few minorities andwomen making it to the top wont help that much in the scheme of things.

They have access and resources to the best education, clubs, and people that it takes to reach the top.

Yes, black people have networks established too, but even within our own race, the elite African American class that were able to break through first sinceslavery was abolished tend to seperate themselves from us regular African Americans. Alot of them share the same views as alot of white people, and look downupon us. Consequently we not only have to accept ourselves as being equal on the fabric of the US as a people, but being equal within our own race, word to the"light skinned women appreciation posts" or "mixed women appreciation post". We need to appreciate our race in all colors and forms.

I read the "Our Own People" book that was reccommended on this forum, and it turned out to be really enlightening and i highly reccommend it..

*+*$* will you *@%@!+ relax with your responses? i meant that i havent made it there so i dont have experience as to what discrimination takes place ...

calm your +*+ down ... and just for your information, the chain of command for me right now goes through 3 black people until you get to the regional presidentwho is white ... so on one hand you can say well see the big big boss is white, on the other hand you got 3 black people ahead of my white +*+ who is BLATANTLYmore qualified than one of those people and as qualified as the other 2 ... but im not sitting here whining about it, im just working as well as i can andwaiting for a break ...

it just paid off today, and im hoping it will pay off in the future ...

A lot of people don't know this but, Asian(Asian and Indians) Americans don't count for affirmative action.

Originally Posted by 360wavesandxbox

Yes, black people have networks established too, but even within our own race, the elite African American class that were able to break through first since slavery was abolished tend to seperate themselves from us regular African Americans. Alot of them share the same views as alot of white people, and look down upon us. Consequently we not only have to accept ourselves as being equal on the fabric of the US as a people, but being equal within our own race, word to the "light skinned women appreciation posts" or "mixed women appreciation post". We need to appreciate our race in all colors and forms.
qft ...

roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

where do I begin?
laugh.gif

*+*$* will you *@%@!+ relax with your responses? i meant that i havent made it there so i dont have experience as to what discrimination takes place ...

calm your +*+ down ... and just for your information, the chain of command for me right now goes through 3 black people until you get to the regional president who is white ... so on one hand you can say well see the big big boss is white, on the other hand you got 3 black people ahead of my white +*+ who is BLATANTLY more qualified than one of those people and as qualified as the other 2 ... but im not sitting here whining about it, im just working as well as i can and waiting for a break ...

it just paid off today, and im hoping it will pay off in the future ...
actually, you ARE whining about it, you ARE mad and
roll.gif
@everyone thinking they're more qualified than people in higher positions than they are...

how you more qualified, THREE rungs below people?

first guy? maybe....second guy? doubtful....third guy? oh, it's racial discrimination....
eyes.gif

roll.gif

like ole boy said, i think you're just really average.....

roll.gif
@i'm having it so hard as a white male

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHA

Did you ever think you aren't as smart as you think you are. I am a white male and guess what I easily got into college. Guess what else I easily becamepart of the National Society of Collegiate Scholars. SO it says more to your qualifications than it does to Affirmative Action.

Try not just 200 years ago 45 years ago and 50 years ago. Try even today. Remember Martin? How about COINTELPRO? How about the war on drugs? How about unfairhousing practices?

If you are top of the crop you will not get looked over. Hell if you are middle of the crop you will not get looked over unless it is by the top. Since youseem to be at the bottom-middle part of the crop instead of saying you are not qualified, you say god damn Affirmative Action.

I also think you have no idea of what black people go through. Check their unenployment rates, check "urban schools"

So before you go and blame everyone because you are not the top notch, look at yourself.

Originally Posted by Essential1

Did you ever think you aren't as smart as you think you are. I am a white male and guess what I easily got into college. Guess what else I easily became part of the National Society of Collegiate Scholars. SO it says more to your qualifications than it does to Affirmative Action.

Try not just 200 years ago 45 years ago and 50 years ago. Try even today. Remember Martin? How about COINTELPRO?

If you are top of the crop you will not get looked over. Hell if you are middle of the crop you will not get looked over unless it is by the top. Since you seem to be at the bottom-middle part of the crop instead of saying you are not qualified, you say god damn Affirmative Action.

I also think you have no idea of what black people go through. Check their unenployment rates, check "urban schools"

So before you go and blame everyone because you are not the top notch, look at yourself.
eek.gif
, you white?

see? he understands white privilege....

he isn't sitting up here saying "sorry for slavery, get over it already" because he understands how he benefits from it.....

it's not a conscious or even purposeful benefit, but it's a definite benefit...

he's not under the guise that he's just so much better than everyone else, this kid 'gets it'

which, i guess, is the difference between, say, you and him...

or him and fede

or him and tbone

get it?

-adds essential1 to the list of NTers who i'd pass the trees to-

Did you ever think you aren't as smart as you think you are. I am a white male and guess what I easily got into college. Guess what else I easily became part of the National Society of Collegiate Scholars. SO it says more to your qualifications than it does to Affirmative Action.

Try not just 200 years ago 45 years ago and 50 years ago. Try even today. Remember Martin? How about COINTELPRO?

If you are top of the crop you will not get looked over. Hell if you are middle of the crop you will not get looked over unless it is by the top. Since you seem to be at the bottom-middle part of the crop instead of saying you are not qualified, you say god damn Affirmative Action.

i easily got into college as well ... ... ... ? but not because i was handed my acceptance letter, because i had what would be equivalent to a 3.8high school gpa and took my sat over to get a 1520 instead of just skating by because of a law with my initial 1260 ... i easily became a part of phi eta sigmamy freshman year and went on to be a part of NSCS ... so what was your point again?

i just finished my last college class at the end of january, and am being promoted in july ... its not like im struggling as i said, however i have beendiscriminated against and looked over for unjust reasons, evident in me winning my case against my previous employer ...

i also have minority friends who were GIVEN acceptance and GIVEN aid and GIVEN housing and GIVEN many other things that i was not simply because they were aminority ... both of my good friends from baltimore bought rims for their cars with their reimbursment checks because they claimed they lived somewhere and gota check cut ... was i mad at that? no not really they were just taking advantage of the system and i would have probably done the same if i could, but thatdoesnt make it right ...

i easily got into college as well ... ... ... ? but not because i was handed my acceptance letter, because i had what would be equivalent to a 3.8 high school gpa and took my sat over to get a 1520 instead of just skating by because of a law with my initial 1260 ... i easily became a part of phi eta sigma my freshman year and went on to be a part of NSCS ... so what was your point again?

i just finished my last college class at the end of january, and am being promoted in july ... its not like im struggling as i said, however i have been discriminated against and looked over for unjust reasons, evident in me winning my case against my previous employer ...

i also have minority friends who were GIVEN acceptance and GIVEN aid and GIVEN housing and GIVEN many other things that i was not simply because they were a minority ... both of my good friends from baltimore bought rims for their cars with their reimbursment checks because they claimed they lived somewhere and got a check cut ... was i mad at that? no not really they were just taking advantage of the system and i would have probably done the same if i could, but that doesnt make it right ...
Like Essential1 said you was mad average and then you had to step your game up.

again I ask...

Jim Crow laws were ended in 1965.. compare that to the birth of our nation..1776...that's pretty much 190 years of racial discrimination.

I'm wholly in support of AA... but I'd say to those people who oppose it......why not keep AA for 190 years AFTER the repeal of Jim Crow laws?... so that's in 2155.

wouldn't that be somewhat fair?

Originally Posted by Dirtylicious

again I ask...

Jim Crow laws were ended in 1965.. compare that to the birth of our nation..1776...that's pretty much 190 years of racial discrimination.

I'm wholly in support of AA... but I'd say to those people who oppose it......why not keep AA for 190 years AFTER the repeal of Jim Crow laws?... so that's in 2155.

wouldn't that be somewhat fair?

You'd be crazy to think they would ever let go of this crutch.

Back
Top Bottom