I never Knew so many people were against Affirmative Action...

No I agree with that, I think we misunderstood each other
laugh.gif

We'd gladly trade in AA for better schools, the removal or revamping of "standardized tests", revised curriculum, safer neighborhoods, the end of"legacy" admissions, the end of racism/sexism, etc. etc.

Originally Posted by Chi ILL

Non-minorities will NEVER understand how its like to be an minority . Period .

The United States is a country full of minorities. Nobody is a majority, there are whites who hate other whites because of their religious affiliation. Thereare Blacks who hate other Blacks, there are Hispanics who hate other Hispanics.

What gives you the gall to say this? Because your Black? I grew up in the largest public housing complex in the country in Queens, sure I was called a"Cracker" as a 10 year old by grown ups and once they found out I was Jewish, there was a point and time where I could walk down stairs without beingcalled a "****" or thanks to Jesse Jackson a "Hymie". If it wasn't for me being able to play basketball, I never would have gottenrespect from people in the neighborhood. So save "You cant walk in a Black persons" shoes talk, it's irrelevant. Oh wait, that's right,"minorities" cant be racist.

They have opportunity without AA, they always did whether you see it or not.

How is it comical? You have the right to Life, Liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. You are guaranteed those 3 things granted by the Constitution. How do you know they will never reach that level? How can you talk about other peoples "happiness", people are individuals, everyone has different potentials, not everyone can be a lawyer, doctor, or even go to college. I don't want to hear about people who are at a disadvantage, if anything Asians have had just as bad experience assimilating to America as Blacks. These people were gathered up and thrown in Concentration Camps because FDR thought every Asian looking person was a spy for Japan, over 60% of them were even American citizens, did they complain about it? No, they still sent there kids to fight for this country. With all the stereo-types after the war, you never hear these people claiming a "social injustice". Their culture is different, many of these Asians were just as poor and oppressed coming from China or Japan and they did it.

Like I said before most Blacks got THEMSELVES out of poverty in the decades preceeding the Civil Rightys revolution, there has been too much political misrepresentation by leaders and "friends" of Blacks. Why does the ending of AA have be a threat or portrayed as ending of their social or economic progress when these policies have done close to nothing, on net balance to help Blacks in general or poor Blacks in particular? Black students in colleges and universities, those admitted under lower standards face a higher failure rate and those admitted under the same standards as other students graduate with their credentials under a cloud of suspicion because of double standards for minority students in general.

You've seriously convinced yourself that minority groups have always had the same opportunities as whites--you seriously believe this.... Like in allhonesty, you genuinely believe this...I am shocked and I don't know whether to laugh next, or just SMH at you. I mean really, are you living in the sameU.S that I'm living in...WOWW...
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
... and moving on--

"You have the right to Life, Liberty, and the pursuit of happiness..."--you would think that wouldn't you? I mean, you actually believe that theConstitution guarantees these things to Americans don't you? Let me give you a reality check. On paper, it may say that you're guaranteed these"rights", but the reality is different. But I'm willing to bet that YOU wouldn't know anything about that...

The Constitution became a joke, and the people fools, the minute they started believing that in America, all men are indeed created equal. Though you and Ilive in the same country, in the same time period, our realities are vastly different. You've been raised and indoctrinated with the notion that you areGUARANTEED these three things (life, liberty, and t.p.o.h) in America. And why not, I mean, considering this land is controlled by your people--hence the termWhite America; a term that predates this thread, and I'm sure you've heard of outside of Niketalk.

My reality is completely different from yours. Mine takes into account, the numerous injustices suffered by people who look like me, at the hands of peoplethat look like you, because of superficial differences, in a country that preached that "all men are created equal". My reality takes into account,the unfair treatment suffered by "different-looking" minority groups, at the hands of the "majority" group that claimed that we can allhave an equal share of the "American dream". My reality takes into account, the unfortunate realization that, regardless of what I am able toaccomplish as an individual, regardless of how high I reach, the color of my skin will always be my "ambassador" to America.� I will be a successfulblack _____, a good black ______, a high achieving black ________. This is something YOU WILL NEVER understand. This is the difference between yours and myreality.

You say you don't want to hear about peoples disadvantages but THAT IS WHAT ALL OF THIS IS ABOUT. Affirmative Action is about advantages anddisadvantages.� It takes into consideration, those who are advantaged and those who are disadvantaged. If you want to believe that Asians have had it as bad as"blacks" go right ahead. I will not get into that discussion. What I will get into, however, is the fact that both groups have sufferedDISCRIMINATION (a disadvantage) at the hands of WHITE AMERICA. But of course, you don't want to get into that right--

Another interesting thing to note. You harp on how everyone has different potential--"Individuals do not have equal intelligence, equal athletic ability,and so on"-- and yet, your argument is that, because Asians "made it", African Americans can make it as well. I hope you're seeing just howcounter intuitive your logic is. Furthermore, you're a silly if you actually believe that "these people" never cried out about the "socialinjustice" suffered at the hands of white America. But of course, we live in completely different realities and in yours, WHITE AMERICA never committedany evils and all minority groups have the SAME opportunities and the SAME chances at success and happiness as their majority, white, counterparts.

You state that in the decades prior to Civil Rights Movements blacks got themselves out of poverty. Did you ever consider that maybe, such was the case becauseprior to the CRM, blacks were mostly operating within a closed matrix. In other words, blacks were mostly associating with each so relative to each other, ofcourse they would look financial stable. But the Civil Rights Movement pushed for the integration of blacks into White America and here, the truth becomesclear--that relative to whites, blacks are not as well of some studies may have suggested. This would in turn result in the belief that the Civil RightsMovement, a push for equality, ultimately resulted in the economic degradation of blacks--which is what you're implying, and which is based off data thatwas false to begin with.

Lastly, how long has been since the institution of the A.Action policy...and you want to say that it's a failure. Righttttt

I don't care who it gave preference to, whether they were white, black, purple, or blue. If anyone was given preference, it was wrong. We live in a "White-America", really? I'm white, I live in Miami, and I'm the minority. 62% of my school is Hispanic and close to 20% is black. I'm not rich, I've been working since I'm 14 and I never had a white boss, ever. The "White-America" is a tired argument.

I seriously hope "I live in Miami, and I'm the minority" wasn't your argument against the truth that is WHITE AMERICA. You and Iboth know, and don't insult yourself and your intelligence by denying this, that the United States is a a white man's country. White's are themajority in America. Furthermore they occupy the most influential seats of power in the most prominent areas of the country and you have the nerve to refutethe existence of WHITE AMERICA because of the logistics of where YOU live...
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
...you're definitely out of touch with reality--

If you moved from your current area of habitation, the odds are that, on average, you would find more communities inhabited by individuals that look like you,than the contrary. That is just one of the many realities of WHITE AMERICA. No matter where YOU go, you will always have the CHOICE to settle with people thatlook like you or not. This is also, by extension, one of the many privileges of being White.

WHITE AMERICA is not a tired argument. You're just dismissing it because you know it's the only thing you cannot argue against.

"If anyone was given preference, it was wrong..."--but of course, it's easy to call foul one someone for "cheating" when you yourselfare unaware of your "cheating" ways. You don't and FAIL to understand that YOUR WHITE SKIN gives you a leg-up over an equal non-white. Iwon't expect YOU to ever understand this, not because you're white, but because you're YOU, Fede DPT.

I gave you a perfect example, the study conducted by ABC some years ago, of this "white-privelege". Your response, "It is sad that people haveprejudices"--
So what now, we just accept things as they are...

As previoulsy stated, I dont expect YOU to understand any of this. I doubt you'll even read the majority of what I typed because it's inconsequentialto you. Just realize that there are copious amounts of resource material that substantiate what I'm saying. Hell, Wikepedia backs what I'm saying. Ifyou need more convincing though, feel free to check this out...Maybe you'll believe someone who shares similar phenotypic characteristics, than some"minority" over the interwebz...

http://video.google.com/v...ocid=3812249801848706206

Originally Posted by Fede DPT

SuperAntigen wrote:

Bro, you are one angry individual, that is all. Seriously.

Hell, Wikepedia backs what I'm saying.

Wikepedia? Really? Ok, I'm done with this thread.

WOW...I see you have the ability to confer the emotional state of an individual over the internet...
grin.gif
indifferent.gif
...I'm far from angry, of anything I've been laughing and SMH atsome of the stuff you've been posting. This last one is a perfect example--word to predicting my emotional state over the webz...
laugh.gif

Do you always take things out of context to prove a point. Notice how I initially stated that I had many resources to substantiate my claims. Followed by"Hell, even wikepedia (as liberally edited as it is it) backs up my claims"...

But I understand, this is you merely finding a way out because you have nothing of significance to say or add, almost like the dog that tucks its tail inbetween it's legs...
laugh.gif
tongue.gif
tired.gif
...I didn't expect you to offer much, if anything, in response anyway...

First, A.Action does not GUARANTEE happiness. Affirmative Action is merely an opportunity--what one does with that opportunity is what will determine one's level of happiness or not.

Second, I find the phrase "pursuit of happiness" somewhat comical simply because, while certain populations may "pursue" as hard as they can, the harsh reality is that, in the end, they will never achieve the level of success and respect appropriated to other populations. Furthermore, certain individuals from certain populations will never have to "pursue" anything, let alone happiness, because they ARE the standard of happiness--not because they worked hard for it, but because the foundations of society unfairly caters to them. The term "pursuit" connotes "a chase"; well guess what, the only people that are chasing the great majority of the time are those that are disadvantaged at start of the race. Take a wild guess who these people will tend to be...

They have opportunity without AA, they always did whether you see it or not.

How is it comical? You have the right to Life, Liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. You are guaranteed those 3 things granted by the Constitution.
Thats incorrect. the "life, liberty, pursuit of hapiness jive is in the Declaration of Independence.

The United States is a country full of minorities.
True.
Nobody is a majority, there are whites who hate other whites because of their religious affiliation.
False. Just because there are conflicts, disputes and an out right schism between a majority doesn't stop them from being the majority.That's like saying some black ppl don't rock with other blacks cuz of their religious affiliation, that doesn't stop them from being the minority.Shh is irrelevant

Originally Posted by LifeLessons

Originally Posted by Essential1

I got into a discussion about this in American Politics we broke up into 5 groups of 6-10 kids, My discussion with another kid stopped the whole class and it became a 1 on 1 debate. Me being on the pro Affirmative Action side.

I really don't think some white people understand how easy they have it compared to some minorities (I am white).... Not to say white people don't struggle but certain things they don't have to deal with that other groups do. Things that effect everyday life.

People also don't realize for every unqualified Affirmative Action reception there is a white guy who doesn't deserve the job (so what is the explanation of that).

Many times blacks, Hispanics, Asians, woman etc. are still looked over for jobs with affirmative action and they are more qualified.

And then if you are a minority and you earned your spot you are an automatic affirmative action hire. (Obama, Sotomayor, the list goes on)

The racism and bigotry in this country is not dead at all.

While I do believe an economic status Affirmative Action is better and will cover more people, we cannot just abolish Affirmative Action completely.

And to sum it up as a White Male I have never felt hindered, cheated whatever by Affirmative Action. My resume speaks for itself. I don't get a job I don't get a job. I don't blame anyone else for it.

hands down you're my favorite white NT member
laugh.gif
....seriously man...
pimp.gif

Lol thanks..It's just my view nothing groundbreaking.

The United States is a country full of minorities. Nobody is a majority, there are whites who hate other whites because of their religious affiliation. There are Blacks who hate other Blacks, there are Hispanics who hate other Hispanics.

What gives you the gall to say this? Because your Black? I grew up in the largest public housing complex in the country in Queens, sure I was called a "Cracker" as a 10 year old by grown ups and once they found out I was Jewish, there was a point and time where I could walk down stairs without being called a "****" or thanks to Jesse Jackson a "Hymie". If it wasn't for me being able to play basketball, I never would have gotten respect from people in the neighborhood. So save "You cant walk in a Black persons" shoes talk, it's irrelevant. Oh wait, that's right, "minorities" cant be racist.
nxufbk.gif

Originally Posted by TBONE95860

The United States is a country full of minorities. Nobody is a majority, there are whites who hate other whites because of their religious affiliation. There are Blacks who hate other Blacks, there are Hispanics who hate other Hispanics.

What gives you the gall to say this? Because your Black? I grew up in the largest public housing complex in the country in Queens, sure I was called a "Cracker" as a 10 year old by grown ups and once they found out I was Jewish, there was a point and time where I could walk down stairs without being called a "****" or thanks to Jesse Jackson a "Hymie". If it wasn't for me being able to play basketball, I never would have gotten respect from people in the neighborhood. So save "You cant walk in a Black persons" shoes talk, it's irrelevant. Oh wait, that's right, "minorities" cant be racist.
nxufbk.gif
roll.gif
, you WOULD applaud that...

roll.gif

nxufbk.gif
2hice80.gif

Originally Posted by eNPHAN

nxufbk.gif
roll.gif
, you WOULD applaud that...

roll.gif
Yep .

& even with him writing that long , irrelevant @!! paragraph ... he still has White privilege .

So it doesn't matter .

Do companies still use "affirmative action" these days now?
I'd say, by now, they should have no choice but to hire minorities...
multicultural diverse workplace > all white/all black/all "one race" workplace

laugh.gif
quotas?
"Yea we dont need any more minorities, we've already filled our quota this year. We're gonna hire Billy."

Now I get it, you are so against government help when you received government help?? Craig T. Nelson hypocrite looking boy.

Originally Posted by Essential1

Now I get it, you are so against government help when you received government help?? Craig T. Nelson hypocrite looking boy.
roll.gif
, that's prolly why he's so against it...

much like Hitler, he must not have enjoyed his time in public housing, so now all he does is talk greasy and advocate for doing away with "unnecessaryspending"

laugh.gif

cant necessarily call people against Affirmitve Action racist, they may just be extremely naive, ignorant and blind to reality

If you do not value Diversity then you will not understand the importance of AA. Its not all about having the best people statistically because then you mayend up with the same people with the same experiences. Being in law school, I have seen that a group with diversity in experiences is better than a group withthe same experiences.

AA just makes sure that there is diversity in experience in a work or college setting.

Originally Posted by ICUP

If you do not value Diversity then you will not understand the importance of AA. Its not all about having the best people statistically because then you may end up with the same people with the same experiences. Being in law school, I have seen that a group with diversity in experiences is better than a group with the same experiences.

AA just makes sure that there is diversity in experience in a work or college setting.

Can't you make a case that this is just reverse racism then? In the name of "diversity", Asians and whites, who are qualified and sometimes morequalified than the other candidates, are being denied simply because of their skin color or socioeconomic background.

Originally Posted by moonmaster3

Originally Posted by ICUP

If you do not value Diversity then you will not understand the importance of AA. Its not all about having the best people statistically because then you may end up with the same people with the same experiences. Being in law school, I have seen that a group with diversity in experiences is better than a group with the same experiences.

Can't you make a case that this is just reverse racism then? In the name of "diversity", Asians and whites, who are qualified and sometimes more qualified than the other candidates, are being denied simply because of their skin color or socioeconomic background.
eyes.gif
, if they're so over-qualified, they'll get into agood school, somewhere...

it's not like over-qualified whites and asians don't have vast opportunity.....

roll.gif
@I CANT HOST KEGGERS WITH GREG AND CHET AT THE LAMBDA HOUSE?

BUMMMMMMMERRRRRRRRR

Back
Top Bottom