im to old to wear a snapback i feel

No it's not. I wear 7 5/8 in a fitted, and most snapbacks are too damn small. Got me lookin like I'm trying to wear a kids hat.

This is true. Pretty much all snapbacks other than New Era are tiny on my head. And even with NE I have to put it on the 2nd or 3rd snap :smh:

I have a huge head :lol:

they still weren't widely available though, da distribution channels weren't like they was for fitteds until da mid 90s, when da logos became "3D"

i remember it was a BIG DEAL to have a actual fitted from da MLB, unless you was actually getting from da mail order catalog, you wasn't getting em.
Sorry Ninja, but you're wrong. I along with my friends were all wearing fitteds in the mid-80's. I am from Los Angeles and you were able to purchase them at any sports specialty store. One of my little league teammates Dad owned a Pro-Image store and he stocked all the teams.

they still weren't widely available though, da distribution channels weren't like they was for fitteds until da mid 90s, when da logos became "3D"

i remember it was a BIG DEAL to have a actual fitted from da MLB, unless you was actually getting from da mail order catalog, you wasn't getting em.
Sorry Ninja, but you're wrong. I along with my friends were all wearing fitteds in the mid-80's. I am from Los Angeles and you were able to purchase them at any sports specialty store. One of my little league teammates Dad owned a Pro-Image store and he stocked all the teams.
http://www2.neweracap.com/category/14/About_New_Era/page/119/HISTORY.aspx

naw b, i believe you're da one thats mistaken with all due respect, MLB didn't grant exclusive rights to new era for all da teams till 1993.

before that new era was like nike back in da nba jersey era, they had da rights for some but not all teams, thats why jerseys and apparel looked so different from eachother

cuz there was no uniform standard on anything.

of course if you run a specialty store you probably had da inside track on how to order new eras, but da masssss majority of retailers were ignorant of da fact i remember

back then da only place to get official new era hats around my way was at da shop that sold baseball equipment to lil league teams.

Being one of the older heads. I can bring some clarity to this conversation. Especially this class situation over hats. Snapbacks weren't for the poor...because they were the norm.
Back in the late 80's and very early 90's you had Starter and The Game. Those were the two companies.
For example
img_6048.jpg

That's what all those Raiders hats were, Starter hats. They were snapbacks. Were Ice Cube or Chuck D poor? Well maybe Cube from Eazy and Jerry.
Then in the early 90's New Era took over and it was fitteds. You wore fitteds for style(all those White Sox fitteds). If I saw someone wearing a snapback, they were either older heads or actual sports fans.
Not sure where some of you got this poor stuff from.
good points...

my thing is.. you're 11 years older than me, bro...

born in 89... so i was a KID that started recognizing the world in the MID TO LATE 90s... EARLY 2000s...

snapbacks were for little league baseball teams... and truckers.. dassit...

fitteds were $30... snapbacks... were like $18...

that's like a retro to a team jordan... that's just my viewpoint... and i think some of the people born from 85-93 understand what i'm saying...

I have like 7 snapbacks that I copped from Goodwill.. I don't wear them because they don't look good on my head. The ones I picked up from goodwill look deadstock so I'm gonna see if I can flip them.

I hate that 85% of Lids inventory is now snapbacks.. They're like 10 bucks cheaper then fitteds but on field 59fifty's feel so much better imo

I definitely remember snapbacks being around more than fitteds in the 80's-90's  The only person I recall having fitteds was a dopeboy older cousin

because I remember him giving me one that I cherished then my mama washed it in the machine and ****** it up.  Everyone else I knew was all snapbacks

rough estimate... high twenties..
them ***** keep going up ... :lol:

From what i remember, started buying fitteds in 94/95 = $18

98/00= $20 - $22

Around 04 = $25

Few years ago $28 - $30

Now they go for $35, but here in NY, stores like Kamp New York & mom n pop stores, you can get them anywhere between $25-30.

Last edited:
To show you how bad it is, went into lids today in Tacoma Mall, WA and asked the clerk if they even have the OG colors to current MLB teams and was literally hit with the :stoneface: just to be directed to the snap-back section. Next thing you know, visors will come back.

I prefer camp caps now since they fit my head shape better, but it's all preference.
d8zy8.jpg

One of my favorite new recent pick ups.

Last edited:
Most of the new snapbacks are fitteds with a cutout back.
this. I'd you guys are really letting what is at most 10% of the hat bother you this much then idk what to say. I wear both in the event that I wear a hat

Last edited:
I like fitteds and snapbacks.. lol at people picking sides it's a damn hat :lol:

Really tho. I didn't think this will last a page, then people got all statistical :lol:

I'm just a fan of nice caps. If it happens to be a fitted, or snapback it's no thang

I copped my first fitted at Modells by Buckner Plaza in the X. It was a Hardwood Classics Lakers fitted (to match my Pearl 9's). 25$. I was addicted to New Era fitteds after that.. When they came out with the black nasties though in 06 I think and raised the price... I stopped buying hats completely, although every now and then I would come across a spot selling grey brims still. It was like 06/07/08 snapbacks were starting to become trendy so I got my hands on a couple from random stores selling. I wasnt a huge fan of them because I felt like there was no way to wear one without looking like trying to "stunt." So I didnt wear em too often.. By 2010, snapbacks had become seriously popular. It was no longer trendy but rather overkill. Dudes started thinking they were fly just cause they had on a snapback which they bought at Lids. Thank god they started retroing the grey brims and green brims! No more snapbacks or black nasties.

it's still something serious ? yo just move to the bay and smoke something. age don matter, errybody just wears whatever the f they feel like wearing.

old cats rockin streetwear and snaps along with youngins. and we got high schoolers tryna get featured on a GQ magazine cover..

express yourself ! other opinions are uneccessarry..

EXACTLY! I swear I've been reading some of these responses and most of them are straight up ignorant and judgemental. DO YOU, dont worry about the next man, and don't be ignorant enough to think you have enough clout to make up the rules regarding snapbacks and fitteds..its straight up rediculous lol! End of story.

:x at wearing used hats all that sweat :smh:

true story i wore snapbacks before tyga and chris brown and pinoys

cant wear em cause they are played out now

i been wearing fitted hats too long to start wearing snapbacks. i been wearing fitteds everyday for years and years. fitted been holdin me down

snapbacks look cheap to me. it looks like the hat you wear when you can't afford/don't want to pay for fitted hats.

New era fitted when I do it. I got snapbacks too but they done lost their integrity, I'm seeing joints at 7-eleven that are spot-on with the ones at lids. With fitteds you're not fooling anyone with them off-brand joints. Can't front there was a ravens one that was quite official though.

Back
Top Bottom