In the NBA-- Hibbert or Oden?

Nobody is tanking hoping to get hibbert. most teams wouldn't think twice about getting rid of their franchise player for greg oden.

Originally Posted by The Dauqs

Brook Lopez
nerd.gif
. But nah. Out of those 2, Oden. Even though Hibbert is better on offense
nerd.gif
i agree with you.

How is this a question?

Oden would dominate Hibbert on both ends (especially defensive end).

hibbert is nothing compared to Mr. Oden. he has done nothing in all of his college years to show he's special. Even Thabeet of UCONN has passed him. Damnshame....

hibbert is nothing compared to Mr. Oden. he has done nothing in all of his college years to show he's special. Even Thabeet of UCONN has passed him. Damnshame....

Oden for sure. Even though Hibbert has (marginally) more post moves, but Oden's got a killer drop step and add that to a dependable (not a go-to move yet)jump hook from either hand, Oden's just a couple of post moves away from being scarry (adding a 10-15 ft. J can't hurt either but he's got time towork on that). Plus he runs the court and finishes extremely well. Defensively, Oden is just more athletic, more active, has a quicker reflex and has more ofa natural knack for being at the right place at the right time.

With that said, I think Roy Hibbert will have a tough time adjusting to the L but once he does, he'll be a pretty decent center.

The thing about Hibbert is that EVERYONE was sweating him after he demolished WVU in the BE tourney....yes, there are some games where he disappears, but not alot of the plays are being run through him. The times where he plays with a chip on his shoulder and becomes "Angry Roy" is when he is at his best. Ithink that Greg Oden will have the better #'s, but don't discredit Roy Hibbert, especially if you are basing your argument over him having a horridtournament. He was a project when he came to GU, and he is leaving as close to a 180 as you can get, considering where he started. His hook is damn nearunstoppable....that should be his bread and butter when he gets in a half-court set on the next level. Heir-apparent to Big Z in Cleveland? Hmmm....

I take Oden, but only by a margin.

What happened to Roy against Davdison is what happened to Greg against Florida. The guards were either unable to get them the ball consistently enough or theguards posed no threat to a point where the defense sagged down to the post, preventing any dumpdowns, whatsoever.

G'town's backcourt may have been better than Ohio State's, but both disappeared when it counted.

You can't blame it all on the big man.

Is this even a question? Greg Oden was light years ahead of Hibbert in his first year compared to Hibberts last. Hibbert is huge and can hardly be considereddominant. He gets guarded by guys up like 5 inches smaller than him and he gets 6 points?

Oden, he is a better all around player

He has the chance to win a ring in portland

Roy will be good but Oden will be an all-star

I hope you are kidding...

Hibbert is a soft big guy. His overall athleticism is poor and so is his footwork. Hibbert is a decent college player and might be a decent NBA player too.

I don't think Hibbert is gonna start...

Well,

First off to the ones bashing Roy...

Do you remember when Roy OUTPLAYED Oden last year???

I do go with Oden...who I think will be great. And once he properly develops his footwork, squares his body around the basket, it's really going to be awrap. Can't teach what he has, athletically and on the defensive end.

Now back with Roy..

This sums him up perfectly and anyone who watched him over his 4 years would agree..

As for Hibbert--he's going to be fine--and play 10-12 years in the NBA. When you have 7'2 guys who are 21 years old after 4 years in Big East (compared to 20 year old Sophomore Ty Lawson of UNC for instance) and led winning teams-which Hibbert did--you'll be selected in First Round. For the teams who actually scout and watch basketball--the thing that stands out about Hibbert--he flourished in any game against a peer. They are more interested in his total development as a player--not numbers--and even more importantly--how did Roy perform against Oden, Thabeet, Gray--the guys who were his "peers"-fellow bigs. Roy not only held his own--he outplayed those guys. Hibbert has never had any problem when facing a fellow 7'0 which the NBA is most interested in come evaluation time.

Roy's strengths:

1. Offensively he's the best skilled Center to enter the league in past couple of years. He can shoot and pass, shoots FT's well--and that will improve in NBA in my opinion, and he has arsenal of post moves/hooks.

2. Improved his movement each year--and added to his game. Despite his numbers--which are part of the Hoya system-spreading it around--instead of relying on 1/2 guys to score, he upped his numbers in Big East play this season--and carried his team to repeat of regular season championship.

3. Age--if Hibbert was European and 21 years old--he'd be talked about by a goon like Ford as the potential #1 pick. Since he's Roy Hibbert--Division One player from Georgetown-he gets criticized--and his age isn't even brought up. What a dolt Ford is--he truly is mentally ******ed when it comes to basketball intelligence.

4. Hibbert is a good kid, works hard, and won't be a problem off the court. What you see is what you will get. That will help him against some of the kids he'll be facing/battling for status in draft.

5. Hibbert has a high basketball IQ which will help him fight his lack of athleticism--although that can improve with lower leg strength/focus on improving his base.

Weaknesses for Hibbert:

1. Not a good defensive player for NBA level--his size won't translate as well as a factor on defense-because he'll struggle against pick and roll and he's not great recovering once he commits to helping/hedging. He can't jump a lick--although improving his lower leg strength should help him improve that a bit. Needs to get stronger as well--tone it up and gain muscle weight.

2. He can be a bit goofy. I didn't say anything during year--but it was getting ridiculous with the "I didn't wear an undershirt so I could be mean" or "I will grow my hair out, my beard out...." or "I'll wear this...."--I mean--it's just a game and if you think this stuff helps--you need to realize-it's about what is between the ears/your approach--not the fact you don't shave or shake hands with opponents prior to a game.

3. Being too nice of a kid. He needs to get into people's faces more--and DEMAND THE BALL. The NBA game is about inside/out basketball--and Hibbert will be shocked by the focus of pounding ball down low--Roy's teammates will love his passing ability--but Hibbert also has to realize--if he's going hot--and scoring-DEMAND THE BALL. He is too nice and doesn't demand the ball, or get into his teammates faces enough when he should. He's not a leader--he's not someone who will ever be a star because he is too willing to accept the fate of a game or what others dictate. You can't change that--people are who they are.

For the people that don't know what you're talkin about when you throw out stats....Make sure you read that first paragraph...

For the teams who actually scout and watch basketball--the thing that stands out about Hibbert--he flourished in any game against a peer. They are more interested in his total development as a player--not numbers--and even more importantly--how did Roy perform against Oden, Thabeet, Gray--the guys who were his "peers"-fellow bigs. Roy not only held his own--he outplayed those guys. Hibbert has never had any problem when facing a fellow 7'0 which the NBA is most interested in come evaluation time.

When Jay Wright is coaching and has his 6'6 guys swarm Roy and collapse their whole defense in the NBA, let me know.

Roy in the right fit - Rik Smits

Oden with developed post game - One of the best big men we've seen.

It's a pretty obvious question, but Roy is not the scrub people want to make him out to be right now.

when it's said Thabeet has 'passed him' on the college level, when Roy dominated him each match up..

I really can't take an opinion seriously...

YO!

Every single time I've watched Hibbert, I always ask myself "why is everyone making a big deal over this guy?"

Word.

allen... regarding that little article. Dude just gonna have to make me a believer. Until I see it, I ain't sold. Dude weak as hard lemonade. DF!!!

Nah, I'm not sayin he'll be anything special...certainly not on Oden's level

But the word bust is bein thrown around and I'd be shocked if that was the case.

I expect a nice career.

Originally Posted by allen3xis

Roy is not the scrub people want to make him out to be right now.
Exactly.

This is a relatively simple question, because Oden is more "nba-ready," buy Roy will be an effective NBA center, just not as soon as GO.

I was saying this last year when Hibbert was gonna enter the draft and I was saying this while he was in college Hibbert sucks.

Even though he improved slightly I stilll wouldn't want him on my team cause he will get outrebounded by a 5'2 guard if the guard was guarding him

hibbert is mentally soft... oden is a stud.

this one is easy to me, its oden

Cosign...

I am a Georgetown fan, but Hibbert is overrated IMO...

He should've dominated this year, but like someone posted earlier, he dissapears offensively in some games...

This year, i was dissapointed in Hibbert's season...

B. Lopez had a better season, I'd even go as far as to say H. Thabeet (UConn) had a better season than Hibbert this year...

He should be OK in the league, depending on where he goes, but nothing like Oden w/ the new Trailblazers team he has to work with...

Roy Hibbert is a soft bum. he wont be nothing but a bench player in the NBA because of his size

Back
Top Bottom