Information Technology (IT)

Congrats. Yeah i'm envious of dudes that are allowed to work across groups in something that interests them, i've always been where the work is siloed.

Honestly, where I'm at is siloed, but thankfully my boss is committed to my move to networking and I'm working with a network guy who has no problem sharing info.

Location and cost of living still plays a big part on how much someone can make.

I'm in Socal working desktop support for Kaiser and I'm full time about to come up on my first year and already I'm due to get a 6K pay raise and that's not even counting my $2500 performance bonus and our annual raise.

Heck I know people in Sys admin or software developer or engineer jobs that aren't making $35 to $40 per hour and if they are they contractors and not full time employees.

Also desktop in some other areas or other companies will pay $20 to $28 at the most. Especially when I looked at jobs in Texas. Not that I would ever consider moving or living there.

New to the IT game. Still got a little over a year left of school. Looking for internships and jobs that could give me some experience. I am located in the Atlanta area. This thread really helped push me to go back and get this degree.

From more of a Server Engineering role to Data Analyst.

It's been an interesting change.

I’m not getting paid more lol. But I’m moving from a cybersecurity to network engineering role in my organization.

I need to brush up. My CCNP has cobwebs.

I got like a 15% bump, hella nice getting that first paycheck. It's pretty much what my last position paid almost BEFORE standard deductions.

Should make consultant in the next year or so, which is about a 30% bump not including the client-expensed flights, food, hotel stays, etc.

Imma keep grinding. Pretty much no transferable skills from networking other than soft ones but I generally feel this was a good choice.

Location and cost of living still plays a big part on how much someone can make.

I'm in Socal working desktop support for Kaiser and I'm full time about to come up on my first year and already I'm due to get a 6K pay raise and that's not even counting my $2500 performance bonus and our annual raise.

Heck I know people in Sys admin or software developer or engineer jobs that aren't making $35 to $40 per hour and if they are they contractors and not full time employees.

Also desktop in some other areas or other companies will pay $20 to $28 at the most. Especially when I looked at jobs in Texas. Not that I would ever consider moving or living there.

Yall hiring? currently working IT in socal too and wouldnt mind new scenery if its greener

Man...

i LOVE my job. Like i legit understand and get it.
(Phishing/malware SOC basically)

But the people I work with are something else. I try to be mature and handle it professionally or just shrug it off, but its coming to a point where im just starting to care less, which is something I wont allow.

Like who tf be hiring yall?

Anyways, had to vent.

Other than Prof. Messer are there any other individuals I should be aware of in preparation for the 1001/1002 A+ exam?

Any resources y’all recommend?

I got the CertMaster on deck.

Got the official books.

My actual instructor is admittedly out of his depth and seems overwhelmed so I’m pretty much on my own.

Other than Prof. Messer are there any other individuals I should be aware of in preparation for the 1001/1002 A+ exam?

Any resources y’all recommend?

I got the CertMaster on deck.

Got the official books.

My actual instructor is admittedly out of his depth and seems overwhelmed so I’m pretty much on my own.

i dont know when you will be ready but you can still take the 901 and 902 A+ exam.
i havent seen too much material on the 1001/1002 yet other than prof Messer

...But I want that new new.

On a serious note, 901 covers a lot of legacy systems and 1001 has a lot more updated information.

It’s one thing to simply pass a test it’s entirely another to actually know your stuff and I want to know my stuff.

...But I want that new new.

On a serious note, 901 covers a lot of legacy systems and 1001 has a lot more updated information.

It’s one thing to simply pass a test it’s entirely another to actually know your stuff and I want to know my stuff.

A+ is A+. You can learn and know your stuff whether it's the 901 or 1001 and outside of the study material as well.

I’m not getting paid more lol. But I’m moving from a cybersecurity to network engineering role in my organization.

I need to brush up. My CCNP has cobwebs.

F that. I seriously would not take that. That's what companies like to call "a lateral move within a company".

Last edited:
Taking the Coursera course to learn more about IT. Plan on getting an entry level help desk position before the year over

Also, if you don't have one already, set up a lab at home working on different things. I think Windows offers a free version of Server that could come in handy for working with AD as well. Blessings on the journey!!

Two AWS certs in the bag. Time to work on my portfolio projects and buckle down to get the final three this summer.

It's my time. :nthat:

How you like it? Here at work we are heavy in AWS thinking getting some certification for it.

Also, if you don't have one already, set up a lab at home working on different things. I think Windows offers a free version of Server that could come in handy for working with AD as well. Blessings on the journey!!

Definitely gonna get to work on some things. Gonna start with trying to find a cheap lil desktop to disassemble

Definitely gonna get to work on some things. Gonna start with trying to find a cheap lil desktop to disassemble

Any friends/family that need help with their computers volunteer to help. It will help with the development of your technical and people skills as well.

How you like it? Here at work we are heavy in AWS thinking getting some certification for it.

It's dope. My job doesn't use it but I've been on it since last fall. The free tier account gives you a lot of room to experiment while only paying s few cents a month in charges if any at all. The exams are tough though but if you use it a lot at work you should be good with a little bit of studying.

PC Part Picker should help with finding extremely budget builds you can assemble.

Back
Top Bottom