Information Technology (IT)

Any recommendations on breaking into cloud? At an msp and growth is pretty easy, or at least preferred and highly looked at here.

Also anyone ever heard of/ done OMSCS (Georgia tech) or MS CS at ASU? Probably looking to attend one of these programs. ASU is faster. Looking at which has better job prospects and better preparation for a job.

Man I’m so glad I don’t have to do any helpdesk work even though I completed my consultancy training :lol:
I ran into a former classmate from my software testing esucation at work today.

Turns out I basically beat him to my position (internal software test engineer) and he got offered a spot as a consultant instead :lol: So he’s mostly stuck doing helpdesk work

I’m giving you a 1st person perspective lol what more you want lol
Hey if ur a swe, do you think a masters in cs would be good for someone trying to switch careers? I’ve got an IT bachelors. I’ve taken a few cs classes and I’d do the pre reqs before joining the masters. Pre reqs are similar to what a minor would be. Also, how much weight would the school name hold? (Non ivy)

Or self study?

Hey if ur a swe, do you think a masters in cs would be good for someone trying to switch careers? I’ve got an IT bachelors. I’ve taken a few cs classes and I’d do the pre reqs before joining the masters. Pre reqs are similar to what a minor would be. Also, how much weight would the school name hold? (Non ivy)

Or self study?
I’m not a swe anymore. Moved to cyber threat intel/investigations about 10 years ago. In tech, I feel like swe are like mercenaries lol. They get a feature request out of a queue, knock it out, then on to the next feature request lol.

Honestly it Depends on your experience. Unless you’re a new grad, maybe the school name would help. These tech companies care about real skill…..time on the keyboard. Hell, no one on my team has certs. Most have just a bachelors but a solid background in what ever their expertise is in.

A guy on my old team went from being a program manager to a swe. He picked up the skill while PMing a project, liked it so much, found a swe in another group lol. So ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I’ll tell anyone shoot your shot.

Or self study?

If money isn't an issue and academic environments stimulate you and you want to pursue another degree then 100% get a degree in CS. A high education degree in CS isn't necessary but it still holds a lot of value.

Strictly in terms of resume value, imo there are diminishing returns going up from a bachelors to masters. Same with the name of the institution the further along into your professional life you are across all the industries you worked.

I did the self study route after leaving a career I loved that didn't pay, and got my first job through pure serendipity. At this point I'd still definitely jump at the opportunity to study CS in a formal degree program if the opportunity presented itself, but I always kind of loved the classroom even if I wasn't a particularly dedicated college student, and general software engineering still has that novelty to it that makes me excited about learning.

I’m not a swe anymore. Moved to cyber threat intel/investigations about 10 years ago. In tech, I feel like swe are like mercenaries lol. They get a feature request out of a queue, knock it out, then on to the next feature request lol.

Honestly it Depends on your experience. Unless you’re a new grad, maybe the school name would help. These tech companies care about real skill…..time on the keyboard. Hell, no one on my team has certs. Most have just a bachelors but a solid background in what ever their expertise is in.

A guy on my old team went from being a program manager to a swe. He picked up the skill while PMing a project, liked it so much, found a swe in another group lol. So ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I’ll tell anyone shoot your shot.
Ay for sure man. Thanks.

If money isn't an issue and academic environments stimulate you and you want to pursue another degree then 100% get a degree in CS. A high education degree in CS isn't necessary but it still holds a lot of value.

Strictly in terms of resume value, imo there are diminishing returns going up from a bachelors to masters. Same with the name of the institution the further along into your professional life you are across all the industries you worked.

I did the self study route after leaving a career I loved that didn't pay, and got my first job through pure serendipity. At this point I'd still definitely jump at the opportunity to study CS in a formal degree program if the opportunity presented itself, but I always kind of loved the classroom even if I wasn't a particularly dedicated college student, and general software engineering still has that novelty to it that makes me excited about learning.
Worrd. Thanks, am leaning towards the ms but still got some thinking to do. Btw If you have a bachelors, then Georgia Tech has an online masters program that’s part time and aimed for full time workers. UIUC, Texas at Austin, and ASU all have online masters programs too. Oregon State also has a post- bachelors program for getting a Bachelers in CS where you take 60 quarter credits (equal to 40 semester credits) that can also be done part time.

Screenshot_20220625-164502_LinkedIn.jpg

Nice thread. Getting to motivated to learn some stuff when I take a sabbatical from work in two years. Gotta learn something more technical like Salesforce development then. Right now i’m on the Operations side at a cloud security SaaS company and use Salesforce a lot…but definitely want to take it next level at some point

and whoever said 200k+ at FANG i definitely agree with that. Even at my not top tier tech company i get about that on a yearly basis (inclusive of ESPP and equity).

Tbh I was blown away by how much I earn as a junior test engineer just starting out. I followed a 6 month education, had virtually zero previous experience on my resume besides bug bounty (hacking) stuff and volunteer web administration.
Then there were my medical issues, …

One of the interested companies expressed a very high level of enthusiasm towards my graduation and they immediately offered €1995 net per month when I graduated and got my certificate. I didn’t even haggle, just accepted the offer asap because it was by far the highest out of all my classmates, most of whom had a far better and more relevant resume. I was expecting about €1600/month net and that’s what I told them before they hit me with the €2k offer.

$2110 net a month is probably little by US standards but that’s just barely under what my chemical R&D lab technician friend makes. And our cost of living is much much less expensive. It still feels a bit unreal to me that all I had to do was a 6 month course to earn more than most of my friends with bachelors and masters degrees

What kinda non management titles are hitting that 225k at FAANG?

SWEs
Network engineers
PMs
Security analysts

Folk really should check levels.fyi

Those TCs are real lol

Now the that 225 isn’t all cash, but cash + rsu+ cash bonus will come up to that.

06B080A9-2B57-48E6-AA90-27F7F75B8381.png
😮😮😮😮😮😮😮😮

I need to look at jobs at these FAANGS!!!

The job I bungled at M$ was probably $200K+ Due to stock options and a clearance bonus.

I’m in a Microsoft Azure class this week. Trying to get smart on architecture.

I got a call with WWT today. Been talking to them for a hot minute. They want me to come on as a sub contractor. But they’re going to throw in it’s contingent on me getting a second CCNP in six months.

agree with many points here, and to add on, masters and up is if you want to specialize in something but that is something you may wish to decide on after spending some time in industry or really getting to know what folks do on the daily.

It would be awesome to hear your self study route, lessons learned and just overall experience in how you went from self study to current job.

The uncertainty given some of the tech layoffs and hiring freezes are a bit daunting right now but I believe tech will be fine in the long run.

Last edited:
The uncertainty given some of the tech layoffs and hiring freezes are a bit daunting right now but I believe tech will be fine in the long run.

i've been thinking about this a lot lately and it kinda scares me a bit. BUT i feel that certain position within the tech org or industry is almost recession proof. For example - and im generalizing here:

Cloud Engineers aren't going anywhere; from admin to architecture. while yes they can cut the fat out this will always be in demand
Application / Software Engineers - same as above, certain company and orgs doesn't want to bring in a "new / non experience" engineers, and will be very hesitant to get this type to be outsourced

But certain positions or dept can be outsourced - biggest thing i always see is the tier 0 or 1 support via MSPs. But again this is still on demand.

But if you want to learn something - i would suggest start learning methodology how IT is being run. Biggest one is Agile and ITIL. Usually this will be part of qualifications. having this in your back pocket certainly helps.

Data Network Engineer here. About to get some CERTs in Cloud, AWS since I have to provide circuits to their servers in my Data centers in the DMV anyway.

I havent worked the past 4 weeks... thank God im salary.

literally been home doing nothing.

we have a big UC project with the feds but its been stalling due to political/management reasons.

im out here thinking im gonna get laid off :lol:

luckily had a meeting yesterday and the project is still going so thats good news.

Had such a **** experience in management I want nothing to do with it, but seems it keeps looking for me. I'll still get my masters because i'm sure at some point I won't want to be too technical in the weeds anymore.

Had such a **** experience in management I want nothing to do with it, but seems it keeps looking for me. I'll still get my masters because i'm sure at some point I won't want to be too technical in the weeds anymore.
I'm sure it's annoying but I'm chasing the money and do eventually see myself moving away from doing the grunt work.

Isn't the ceiling higher if you're technical? Harder to replace too.

I'm talking engineers and up

My brother in law is an engineer and he stays away from management bc he said technical skills are valued more than management.

?

Back
Top Bottom