Information Technology (IT)

I'm sure it's annoying but I'm chasing the money and do eventually see myself moving away from doing the grunt work.
Me too. As I transition the military, I’m chasing highly technical senior admin/architect positions. But long term, the writing is on the wall. I don’t want to keep chasing a hamster wheel of technical skills. Rather have an understanding of technology, business, and make decisions.
Isn't the ceiling higher if you're technical? Harder to replace too.

I'm talking engineers and up

My brother in law is an engineer and he stays away from management bc he said technical skills are valued more than management.

?
You’re talking high skill positions that are validated by experience/positions or having qualifications like CCIE, OCSP/OCSE, v,Ware Advanced or VCDX, MCSE(which doesn’t exist anymore), etc.

Applied for a position way back in May.

It’s been a slow process. It’s to work as a sub contractor on a major government contract.

Went through a few screeners and a technical interview. Everything seemed to be going well until I had an interview Wednesday. There wasn’t a real agenda or scheme to the interview. It all boiled down to we’re working on x, y, z new projects and do you know the technology? I did not get the warm and fuzzy feeling from the interview (which wasn’t technical, personal, etc). Had to conduct a second, more technical interview just now.

I knocked it out the park.

I was laughing my butt off. I’m being hired to do networking. The last person started asking me storage and big data questions. I’m like what? I had the person championing me for the position texting me answers. I didn’t need them lol.

spiderjericho spiderjericho Are you working for another company that’s subbing to the prime or are you independent/1099? You being paid directly or through your own company or LLC?

Trying to become a sub myself one day.

I’m just a dude. I am not a government contractor.

I’ve just found myself noticing a lot of positions have been through a sub contractor.

Like the above situation. The hiring firm has already okayed me and satisfied with my qualifications. But I’ve had to jump through hoops with the prime…

But…I met someone who was mainly just doing hires to a prime. He said he was making $$$ off the top per person.

What's the value in being a subcontractor? Gov world is confusing.
As a unknown small business/sole proprietorship being a sub is a good way to get govt work. Once the prime wins the contract they need staff. Govt doesn’t (read: shouldn’t) have much say on how the staff is formed. But there are rules dictating the staff mix/ratio of prime contractors vs subs on a contract. Prime also handles all the administrative and client facing stuff while subs just focus on doing the work.

Apple is offering 2 million to anyone who can hack their lockdown mode in IOS 16.
Avengers Endgame Ready GIF - Avengers Endgame Ready Assemble - Discover &  Share GIFs

NT hooligans, assemble!

Anybody recommend any good study material for CASP+? I finally got my voucher to test out of CCNA but looking to study for CASP+ in order to renew my Sec+

Welp, an investment firm just bought my whole employer, 100% of shares. We’re fairly different from our parent company but at the end of the day a lot of things are integrated with the parent company. The guy running the investment fund with 1 partner said nothing would change besides some more jobs but idk how they’re gonna untangle all those personnel services that rely on our parent company.

The investment guy did seem like a genuinely good guy, everyone had a positive impression of him. Hes also made it clear that he was very pleased with our work and that he’d be hiring, not firing.

Idk if I buy that last part but I guess we’ll see how it goes.
Deal’s already signed, they’re just figuring out a good date/time to publicly announce it

Sigh looks like it might be that time guys; about to toss the resume out and see what I see. I am currently with my company for 3 years and making decent to good money, including our bonus. However all through Covid, I have been on site for the client, yet the analyst I support are rarely in the office. One of he govie managers onsite was like I don't want anyone in the office 5 days a week, even me. I was like cool I will wait to see what my manager says, because I heard about it second hand. My manager eventually came to me and was like yeah they don't want people in the office 5 days a week, how about you work remote Tues/Thurs.

Cool it is better than the nothing I was getting, except when I just felt like not going into the office. He said next week, meaning this current week be in the office all week while we are performing patches. Fine, I don't know why I need to be in the office after the patching is complete, but ok. Today he comes to me and is like yeah remember the WFH the other manager mentioned forget that. We need you onsite all the time, with the analyst coming onsite more. I was thinking to myself.
giphy.gif

Some weeks you don't come into the office at ALL. Some of the analysts I met once within a year. I was like, oh really ok. Wheels immediately started turning, on the various job sites. I could bring it up with my contracting company, but what leg would they have to stand on the government customer calls the shots. So this weekend about to update the resume and hit up all the job sites here in VA. I want something with defined WFH days and low stress, in northern VA, at the salary range I want, and equal benefits. A bonus would be nice, but just give it to me in salary. Been in the game for 20 DAMN years, not about to be sitting in front of a computer every day in the office just to check a box when I can do 80% of it remotely. My coworker was like tell the other manager, I think that would create unnecessary tension if he overrules my manager. Possibly making my job harder. Recently applied to grad school and believe I was accepted after speaking with the dean.

I mean the job is super easy, but the fact that I'm the only person in the office every day just made me think it's time to move on. Wish your boy luck in the job market.

In VA there has to be millions of jobs, granite remote so it dont matter anyways. I interviewed for WWT, David Stewards company, 1 of like 30 black billionaires worldwide. They pointed that out ike 40x despite 100% of the populus in the interview being white. Sounds like they really value their employees and have good work ife balance. I think I only did Ok in the interview though, feel like if they do call me back they are gonna try to offer me the Application Packager position and less salary compared to the Sys Admin

In VA there has to be millions of jobs, granite remote so it dont matter anyways. I interviewed for WWT, David Stewards company, 1 of like 30 black billionaires worldwide. They pointed that out ike 40x despite 100% of the populus in the interview being white. Sounds like they really value their employees and have good work ife balance. I think I only did Ok in the interview though, feel like if they do call me back they are gonna try to offer me the Application Packager position and less salary compared to the Sys Admin
Really? When I interviewed with them, this was never brought up. I mentioned it in my application on why I wanted to join the team. I hear their facilities in St Louis are enormous.

I’m thinking of quitting my job and going on a tiny level-up quest, maybe do a lil traveling. My current job hight tempo, has zero knowledge management, onboarding practices, everyone fo themselves mentality.

Anyone working in or have knowledge of the contract market in US for analytics (data engineering/analysis/science)? I work as a contractor (through my own company) in the UK but wondering if I should try to aim for US clients / if the US rates are any better than UK rates.

Anyone working in or have knowledge of the contract market in US for analytics (data engineering/analysis/science)? I work as a contractor (through my own company) in the UK but wondering if I should try to aim for US clients / if the US rates are any better than UK rates.

Am no expert by any means so this may not be entirely helpful, but try seeing if those jobs correspond to labor categories/rates on IT government contract vehicles. Folks have told me GSA Schedule 70 rates are reflective of market rates.

Dunno how old this but link below are Deloitte’s LCAT and pricing (what they charge) for GSA Schedule (big IT contract):

Back
Top Bottom