Instant 1 million dollars vs. 50% chance of 100 million

Dudes in here really think they're going to invest or save that money and coast to the finish line. Ya'll need some real life schooling. It's not that easy...or that cheap.

Better question would be if they allowed you to hit it a second time without viewing the result from the first time...

Would you hit the button again?

Dudes in here really think they're going to invest or save that money and coast to the finish line. Ya'll need some real life schooling. It's not that easy...or that cheap.
Bingo.

Dudes think they'll be sitting on 80% investment returns. 
laugh.gif

100, no question.

You know how relatively easy it is to make a million? You'd have to be an idiot.

I think id take the Millie

my punk A!! havin a hard time choosing in this hypothetical situation...id S!!! my pants and die of a heart attack in real life.

I don't know your standard of living, but I can live without work off a mill. 5% interest is 50 grand per year. Maybe work the first year and then live off the interest. There will be no Lambos and Vegas condos, but you wouldn't have to work.

I am a gambler, but I would be SICK if I didn't get the 100 mill...50% chance and you miss?

Who in here couldn't live off $4k per month for the rest of their life? Especially if your spouse worked.

Okay so when do I receive my million OP? Do you need my routing number?

I'd feel like a damn fool if I dont take the 50%. An everyday Joe can make half a mill in a few years if he works hard enough.

I mean, unless you're living in poverty I don't see a reason not to hit the green button.

Its 2012, a million dollars isn't hard to earn.

Get off your *** and work.

The thought of having a 50% shot at $100 million and losing
sick.gif

...I hate these questions.
laugh.gif

Hey I will gladly work for any of yall that tell me a mill can be made that easy. Please PM me and I will send the resume over to start.

So who paying a mill per year here? Hyper??? What kind of work?

Hey I will gladly work for any of yall that tell me a mill can be made that easy. Please PM me and I will send the resume over to start.
So who paying a mill per year here? Hyper??? What kind of work?

I don't think he means it's that easy. But if you get a six figure job, save, and get promotions + bonuses here and there it is attainable in a few years. Or start a small business and grow it. 100 mill on the other hand is not as reachable.

BLEE DAT

Last edited:
Red button ASAP!

If you're smart enough, you can take half that mil and make it into a mil. That mill into 2, and so on.

Basic math says the 50% chance at $100 million yields a higher expected payout than a guaranteed $1 million. But, I'm willing to bet most of those saying they would take the gamble are only saying that because the situation is hypothetical.

There is a economics paper published in the American Economic Review by Charles Holt and Susan Laury called "Risk Aversion and Incentive Effects." In this paper, they carried out experiments where participants chose between gambles similar to this one (slightly different in that participants were choosing between two lotteries, rather than a sure thing and a lottery), albeit on a much smaller scale, in both hypothetical situations and real situations (where the participants actually walked away with cash based on their decisions and the outcome of the gamble).

The results of their experiment show that subjects show increased risk aversion (i.e. they prefer sure things to gambles) when the situation switched from hypothetical to real. Their work was novel because the amounts they used for the gambles were in hundreds of dollars. I believe the highest payoff was $385 for a participant. These amounts are much higher than what subjects earn in a typical econ experiment (around $30).

Back
Top Bottom