Interview Help/Tips/Suggestions???

s0lefunk

Supporter
NT, I think I'm close to landing a gig as an analyst with a small IT consulting firm.  I've already been advanced through the first 2 rounds of the evaluation process and the 3rd/final part is the in-person interview but I just dont know what to expect..

To apply, all I had to do was submit my resume.  The 1st round consisted of a phone interview where they asked me 6 questions just to see how I'd respond to certain situations and then I emailed a writing sample.  The 2nd round consisted of completing 2 exercises which would be similar to what I'd be doing on the job and filling out an actual application with references.  I feel like if I've come this far they know I can do the job so I dont know what to expect to happen on the interview.  Is the job mine to lose at this point?  Will it be the standard "tell me about yourself" type deal?  I just dont know but I'm really gunning for this one.  (Gotta get out this temp work...)

If anyone has been through a similar process could you please share your experience with the in-person part?

Thanks

NT, I think I'm close to landing a gig as an analyst with a small IT consulting firm.  I've already been advanced through the first 2 rounds of the evaluation process and the 3rd/final part is the in-person interview but I just dont know what to expect..

To apply, all I had to do was submit my resume.  The 1st round consisted of a phone interview where they asked me 6 questions just to see how I'd respond to certain situations and then I emailed a writing sample.  The 2nd round consisted of completing 2 exercises which would be similar to what I'd be doing on the job and filling out an actual application with references.  I feel like if I've come this far they know I can do the job so I dont know what to expect to happen on the interview.  Is the job mine to lose at this point?  Will it be the standard "tell me about yourself" type deal?  I just dont know but I'm really gunning for this one.  (Gotta get out this temp work...)

If anyone has been through a similar process could you please share your experience with the in-person part?

Thanks

You have got through the techincal aspect now its your personality they want to see. Make sure you emphasize being a team player, doing whatever it takes to get a project done, being open to learning, and be humble. Dont be a know it all. Should be fine. Usually the in person interview is to make sure you arent crazy or just weird. Just relax, you made it through the hard stuff. 

You have got through the techincal aspect now its your personality they want to see. Make sure you emphasize being a team player, doing whatever it takes to get a project done, being open to learning, and be humble. Dont be a know it all. Should be fine. Usually the in person interview is to make sure you arent crazy or just weird. Just relax, you made it through the hard stuff. 

Have your resume memorized. I've seen too many people go down the tubes because they couldn't adequately cover a bullet point on their resume.

Research the firm. Know their major clients and services offered.Call a few people that are at the firm and ask them about their experience. You'll have some names to drop in the interview and can speak towards the collective experiences of actual employees.

STAR method for behaviorial questoins - Situation, Task, Action, result.

Practice your behaviorial questions. These questions are pretty standard, so you should have answers for them. I have maybe 4 strories that I draw all of my answers from. You can b.s. results, if you got a B in a project, tell them that you got an A.

If your in-person interview is technical or case, PLEASE practice. IT-consulting? If you had a case interview they probably would have explcitily told you. But I'd call/e-mail to verify. They could ask you some basic coding or algorithmic type questions to be prepared. Also be prepared for brain teasers. Consultants love market sizing questions. "How many golf balls fit in this interview room". They expect you to answer with a number and show them a methodical approach as to how to got that number. Don't wildly guess and don't say "I don't know".  The answer is farily straight-forward.

Print extra copies of your resume on stock paper at Kinkos. Don't go in there with your resume on office paper.

Lastly, dark suit (tailored), white shirt, and conservative tie. You'll be fine.

My advice may seem a bit intense, but thats what it takes especially in this job market.

Remember this is a consulting firm so they are looking for somebody they can stick in front of a client.

Have your resume memorized. I've seen too many people go down the tubes because they couldn't adequately cover a bullet point on their resume.

Research the firm. Know their major clients and services offered.Call a few people that are at the firm and ask them about their experience. You'll have some names to drop in the interview and can speak towards the collective experiences of actual employees.

STAR method for behaviorial questoins - Situation, Task, Action, result.

Practice your behaviorial questions. These questions are pretty standard, so you should have answers for them. I have maybe 4 strories that I draw all of my answers from. You can b.s. results, if you got a B in a project, tell them that you got an A.

If your in-person interview is technical or case, PLEASE practice. IT-consulting? If you had a case interview they probably would have explcitily told you. But I'd call/e-mail to verify. They could ask you some basic coding or algorithmic type questions to be prepared. Also be prepared for brain teasers. Consultants love market sizing questions. "How many golf balls fit in this interview room". They expect you to answer with a number and show them a methodical approach as to how to got that number. Don't wildly guess and don't say "I don't know".  The answer is farily straight-forward.

Print extra copies of your resume on stock paper at Kinkos. Don't go in there with your resume on office paper.

Lastly, dark suit (tailored), white shirt, and conservative tie. You'll be fine.

My advice may seem a bit intense, but thats what it takes especially in this job market.

Remember this is a consulting firm so they are looking for somebody they can stick in front of a client.

most likely if you're gone through rounds of an interview process and they're bringing you in...I'd hazard a guess that you're one of their top 3 candidates...esp if it's a small firm.

most likely if you're gone through rounds of an interview process and they're bringing you in...I'd hazard a guess that you're one of their top 3 candidates...esp if it's a small firm.

One thing I had when interviewing at a major software company as a consultant is they had me "Role Play" a situation. The interviewer set the scene and everything in the room was fair play (my cell phone, the office phone, the door, etc... ) and we were in character until the interviewer said stop. Basically he played the CEO of a company and I am supposed to show him features of the software. He did not say that he was going to act as a total snob/jerk. He basically wanted to see how I wouldve handled a difficult situation.

One thing I had when interviewing at a major software company as a consultant is they had me "Role Play" a situation. The interviewer set the scene and everything in the room was fair play (my cell phone, the office phone, the door, etc... ) and we were in character until the interviewer said stop. Basically he played the CEO of a company and I am supposed to show him features of the software. He did not say that he was going to act as a total snob/jerk. He basically wanted to see how I wouldve handled a difficult situation.

Thanks everyone for the luck and the advice.

Right now I'm just doing what I can. So far being me has gotten me this far so I'll continue to do so. Just staying calm, wont ramble or rush my answers, just want to make a pleasant impression.

Thanks everyone for the luck and the advice.

Right now I'm just doing what I can. So far being me has gotten me this far so I'll continue to do so. Just staying calm, wont ramble or rush my answers, just want to make a pleasant impression.

Back
Top Bottom