Is An Econ Degree Even Worth Anything?

Im thinking of going into Econ through arts. I wanted to do business but you need pre reqs in stats and calculus with B average and that is not going happenwith me. Thing with econ is you need no math pre reqs even though you there is a lot of math in it. Is there even a point of doing Econ, is it a good degree.Im getting frustrated with school as it seems im wasting my time, I may drop out and go to flight school

Chris_Bosh_op_460x600.jpg

How you gonna have a mock t-neck joint on, and STILL have a good 7 or 8 inches of neck visible? Amazing.

Oh, and the econ degree can be worth something. A lot of people just have a hard time finding anything worthwhile with it, from my understanding.

On its own, no. That, however, is the case with almost any bachelors degree and even many advanced, graduate degrees.

Econ plus so networking and/or connections to business management or finance, can be golden. I know many people, family friends, who have bachelors degrees ineconomics and do very.

The main point of a bachelors degree is signaling that it does for potential employers. The chances are that your job will not involve direct applications ofwhat you learned in school. What a degree in economics shows an employer that someone voluntarily took on a major that has a reputation for being one of theharder majors that schools offer. It shows that you can be a quick learning and you can be trained to eventually be a CEO or a fund manager or a city planneror some other important and remunerative job.

The signaling aspect of a degree also makes degrees in mathematics, engineering, computer science or the sciences valuable as well. A sizable portion ofinvestors are people who studied these challenging majors and were picked up by financial firms, who train them to become analysts.

i'm thinking about majoring in economics but at uc berkeley, it's pretty much a major for those who didn't get into business

On its own, no. That, however, is the case with almost any bachelors degree and even many advanced, graduate degrees.
Bingo. I think a degree in Economics is a great foundation.

It all depends and it makes a big difference where that degree is from. It's pretty versatile though. I have friends going to ivy business schools orstaying here at stanford, I know others who are going to do the teach for america program, and then others who already have 150k jobs lined up.

Originally Posted by Blai213

I did econ ... I suggest you major in finance/accounting.

If you're going into either finance or accounting, you better have some work ethic right out of school... 80 hour weeks and continuing to get an MBAfor the finance or your CPA for accounting is a must..

There are no easy routes in the business world anymore - it's far too competitive.

Correct me if im wrong, but after 4 years of college and studying econ, now im searching for jobs, to be honest i have nothing to offer to the employer ...econ is all theory and everybody that studies business/commerce etc ... knows the basics and thats all you really need unless your gonna be an analysis orsomething like that. Econ doesnt teach you any skills unlike accounting/finance which leave you with a set of skills when u leave college ... econ is all justtheory ... thats what i mean when i say i feel like i have no skills to offer the employer that i got from econ. I mean ... supply and demand ... whodoesn't know about that ?

I'm lucky that i am good at bs'ing at job interviews and have a fair bit of work experience .. which is probably as or more important than the degreeitself. Get plenty of work xp/internships .. itll help alot when ur applying for jobs.

exactly what blai213 said, economics on its own is simply all theory. i took a couple upper division courses on it and even though my advisor said that it wasall "business related" i really felt like that it was just a bunch of math courses with complicated theory.

family+friends+advisors call me crazy for dropping out of UC Davis as an economics major to get a "real" business degree at san jose state (marketing+ management), even though i might go back and complete my minor in economics, i wouldn't have it being my only major.

Like any other degree, its really what you make out of it. Obviously you have to do networking and internships, thats with any business degree. It doesn'tmatter what your degree is, if you know no one, you go nowhere. Point blank period.

Originally Posted by yellowmustard

i'm thinking about majoring in economics but at uc berkeley, it's pretty much a major for those who didn't get into business

Same at UMD. Im on my 3rd Econ class and I can honestly say I just dont get this stuff. All I see is lines and curves that move from time to time.

I want to do Accounting but my GPA isnt business school standards. I hate Econ so much that I might just take the L and repeat a couple classes and be inschool an extra semester.
tired.gif

But if all goes to plan, I could double major and walk out with 2 degrees when its all said and done.. choices
ohwell.gif

i have an ECON degree from UMD College Park (go terps) ... but uhh im a Systems Engineer
wink.gif

i dont even know how, im only 23! i need to get off my lazy %@@ and goto gradschool.

SoleFunk: its not that hard man, trust me i was a computer science major for my first three years, and i got out with an econ degree at the end of my 4th (wordto hard work and dedication). dont ever let any of those profs let you down, most of them teach from the book or a power point presentation they made 5 yearsago (i could prolly hand you my notes). Econ at UMD is one of the more lenient degrees in the way that they teach grade and allow the students to learn. mostof what is tought is STRATE out of the book. what classes are you currently taking? you should take some hard classes so that the econ doesnt seem so bad. iguess getting sodomized for 3 yrs by C/C++/Java/Perl/OCAML ... teaches you a thing or 2 about hard. dont let the other students fool you, if your not takingengineering, math or physical sciences ... its not as mentally degrading as those can and seem to be.

it makes sense to some, and others get lost behind the graphs and words, (i dont even want to tell you how long it took me to figure out what aggregate meant...)

stick it out man, and try for internships theyll teach you more than you can learn in a classroom anyway. enjoi the weather.

word to spring, cornerstone/thirsty turtle ... yea im about that!

Originally Posted by s0leFUNK

Originally Posted by yellowmustard

Same at UMD. Im on my 3rd Econ class and I can honestly say I just dont get this stuff. All I see is lines and curves that move from time to time.

I want to do Accounting but my GPA isnt business school standards. I hate Econ so much that I might just take the L and repeat a couple classes and be in school an extra semester.
tired.gif

But if all goes to plan, I could double major and walk out with 2 degrees when its all said and done.. choices
ohwell.gif

ohwell.gif
Smith School of Business aint no joke. Top 25 in the country. Oneof my friends told me that this dude had a 3.5 gpa and still didn't get in
tired.gif

I'm wishing for the best.

Originally Posted by superblyTRIFE

Chris_Bosh_op_460x600.jpg

How you gonna have a mock t-neck joint on, and STILL have a good 7 or 8 inches of neck visible? Amazing.

Oh, and the econ degree can be worth something. A lot of people just have a hard time finding anything worthwhile with it, from my understanding.

lmao dudes neck is long as hell
laugh.gif

ecn degree is GOOD, i don't know what you are smoking on, but it's a HARD degree to get

rex hit the nail, most degrees are useless, all it shows to your employer that you are able to learn and they can mold you into what they need you to do intheir company

you will be using the foundations of the degree to do your job, but u don't have to know the little things that u learned in university

econ degree is pretty generic.. you can get into a number of different careers.. its a real good degree if you plan to go for your masters.. MBA, taking LSATsetc

Back
Top Bottom