IS BROOKLYN DYING?

Some took the money offer and left. Some went to court and lost and evetually had to leave. Some people just arent motivated by cash. living in the same area for such a length of time one grows accustomed to where they live etc. Why should one have to move for the sake of a land lord"s greed?

I hear you and thanks for answering my question.  I know after living in a particular place/spot for so many years I can understand how and why a person or family would become accustomed to their residence. That's why alot of "renters" get a false sense of ownership after they have lived somewhere for x amount of years.  The renters then starts to believe that they actually own their apartment when they truly don't.  I'm not saying this to be mean or vicious to you, or any of the family members that had to move but when you don't actually own something you have to know in the heart/mind that's it's truly not yours to begin with.  Anything that I love, care for or that means that much to me as far as tangible items are concerned I actually own.  Renters to me are like people that just stick their feet in the pool and nothing more while an owner is the person that able to dive into the pool and enjoy the water fully. 

As far as rent vs own. Your thoughts may hold truth pre recession, but in todays economy who"s really trying to sign on the dotted line of a 30 year mortgage while not knowing if they have a job tomorrow?

Very true, but if a person if still renting after 5 years lets say at the same location that's how you know it's time to make a better decision.

It's real here in DC, don't worry though, once it starts becoming too exspensive for white people then expect it to be a problem. Housing prices/rent are just simply insane.

laugh.gif
I remember my hood in Crown Heights had no Caucasian people even daring to walk the streets over here. Now everyone walks without fear all 3-4 AM without worry.
Except the people that originally lived over here because we know how dangerous it still is.

Within the past 5 years, people been building those new modern apartment buildings that look like you in Miami all over the place. I mean its a positive thing. But not for those who live or own a property in these areas prior to the influx.

Williamsburg is Artistic and Creative mind central. Its CRAZY how over there is.

When the wave starts to come to East Flatbush and pushes all my Caribbean people out, then you know it just got real .

Originally Posted by throwback1718

laugh.gif
I remember my hood in Crown Heights had no Caucasian people even daring to walk the streets over here. Now everyone walks without fear all 3-4 AM without worry.
Except the people that originally lived over here because we know how dangerous it still is.

Within the past 5 years, people been building those new modern apartment buildings that look like you in Miami all over the place. I mean its a positive thing. But not for those who live or own a property in these areas prior to the influx.

Williamsburg is Artistic and Creative mind central. Its CRAZY how over there is.

When the wave starts to come to East Flatbush and pushes all my Caribbean people out, then you know it just got real .
I remember growing up in Crown Heights, I hardly seen any white people walking down my block. In fact I only remember seeing one white couple that lived up the street from me. then when I went back to NY couple years back I seen nothing but white people in Crown Heights. and I'm like "what is going on? it never was like this when I living here" and now all over Brooklyn I see new apartment building and condos. many streets that was all jack up looking like the Hulk just had a field day pounding the pavement, are now fixed and look brand new(there's still a lot streets in BK that are all kinds of messed up though). and now the with the Nets coming to Brooklyn this year, it's just gonna get better or worse depending on how you wanna look at it (I think it's much better, I like the change IMO except for that damn bike lane on prospect park west taking up half the dang street making it a real tight squeeze for cars to get by in that area).

it's not dying, but the times they are a-changing. that's how time works. new york is not the same as it was 10 years ago, and fifty years ago it was completely different from THAT. cultures and cities are ever evolving.

i mean, it's bittersweet. on one hand, the hipster cancer that is williamsburg is spreading throughout central and northern brooklyn and some parts of queens (ridge wood and I'm noticing woodhaven too). but on the other hand i do feel safer. 8 years ago i would never be taking the train home past a certain time in certain parts of brooklyn. hell i still have an aversion to the c train. and i still am convinced that i'm going to get murdered on any street corner. on the downside, people from lower incomes are being marginalized because they can't afford the higher price tags. which really is heartbreaking because most of these people have been dealt a #+@@%! hand, and people from upper middle white class suburban america come through and swoop it all up. man i don't know.

OP you should have thought longer before making this topic. Brooklyn is being revitalized for the better. I don't know about east New York and Brownsville , but I do know that Bedstuy, Flatbush, and some parts of bushwhick are building up. If you're worried about the cost of rent then go get a roommate.

It's not just people losing their homes but the also the culture. As for the argument of why don't they own the property, not everyone has money. Some people make just enough to pay rent and eat, how are they suppose to save enough to own it? When gentrification happens, it brings attention to big businesses like big name franchise stores that kill local small businesses. But before that happens, the community ousts its own people because of greed. That local grocery store sees more and more people with money moving in, heck, why charge a dollar for milk when they are wiling to pay a $1.25? Locals are now spending more basic necessities and being pressured to pay more for rent until they can't cope with it.

A lot of small businesses around me that were thriving are being bought out. What used to be a grocery store that offered "community friendly" is now a boutique because the owner of that property got greedy and rented out for more. Those boutiques never last, selling hipster apparel that no one can afford. So everyone loses; grocer lost his store, locals no longer have access to affordable food, landlord now has to find someone to rent out the place every few months, and the hipster lost it's initial investment.

I agree, many communities are being revitalized, but at a cost. We can't just think from our point of view, we are young, we can cope with things, we can make more money. We have to consider the older folks that don't have those means and have to just bend the way the people want them to get bent.
The loss of culture is also a problem. Police accommodate to local needs. In chinatown, it has been in a tradition for generations to get together and play music in the park and has never been a problem. A few white folks move in, make a few noise complaints, the cops have to act because its the law but rules are often bent for local culture. So now there are boundaries on local culture because a few new faces moved in.

What used to be a grocery store that offered "community friendly" is now a boutique because the owner of that property got greedy and rented out for more.

For this example and any other that was highlighted in your statements and others on here, that's one of the luxuries of being an owner.  When your an owner you can most likely do whatever you want to do with what you own.  What you do with that prorperty isn't necessarily right or wrong but at the same time you still can do what you want to do because your able to.  When you just rent, your either at the mercy of a landlord unless you live in a rent control area which aren't that many any more. 

As for the argument of why don't they own the property, not everyone has money.
I'm moreso referring to the people that have rented at the same property for 10 plus years or so.  What's the point in renting for that long or even longer and not owning something??  That doesn't make sense to me at all.  Again, not to be mean or non-caring to anyone that rents but when you rent in the back of your mind you should know that anything can happen at any point in time that MAY force you to move or relocate since the place where you reside is not truly yours.    

Originally Posted by Deuce King

As for the argument of why don't they own the property, not everyone has money.
1. I'm moreso referring to the people that have rented at the same property for 10 plus years or so.  What's the point in renting for that long or even longer and not owning something??  That doesn't make sense to me at all.  2. Again, not to be mean or non-caring to anyone that rents but when you rent in the back of your mind you should know that anything can happen at any point in time that MAY force you to move or relocate since the place where you reside is not truly yours.    

1. the people that have been renting for that long never had a good paying job to begin with and more than likely lived check to check making it difficult to own. And in NYC it's sometimes better to rent. If something breaks in the apartment (boiler, stove, toilet) the landlord/super has to fix it. As an owner you are responsible for everything.

2. that is why you sign a lease. there is a maximum that your rent can be increased after the lease is up

Bushwick is being sold as East Williamsburgh

Brooklyn has and still is changing. I live in ENY and work in Williamsburg. The Williamsburg that I knew as a kid is no more. All you see here now are a bunch of "tatted" hipsters/yuppies hanging out at the bars and cafes in the middle of the day.

There's only parts of Brooklyn that has been by the gentrification bug, theres parts of Bushwick that have no types of gentrification, go hit up the corner of Wilson and Moffat at night and see if Brooklyn is "dying".

You guys are hilarious. I used to complain about the same things: "oh there's a bunch rich people moving into my nighborhood, durrp durrp."

And then I realized I sound like an idiot. Yeah, hipsters are annoying but they don't really bother anyone. And I'd rather have them around my way than the people slangin on the corner and the junkies, thank you. I got this weird thing about not liking crime in my neighborhood...weird, I know.

Originally Posted by CodLiverOil

Where you live in Bushwick? I'm from the darkside, Decatur st

I am on the light side, over by Dekalb. Obviously the dark side hasn't gone through much of the change like my side has but lets not sit here and act like it cant happen. Maybe not in our youth but more so later adult hood and our childrens younger years.

Yeah, you right. Where on Dekalb? Btwn Irving and Knickerbocker is a hot block in the hood, you closer to central and evergreen? 

Originally Posted by oO ThE RoC Oo

Brooklyn has and still is changing. I live in ENY and work in Williamsburg. The Williamsburg that I knew as a kid is no more. All you see here now are a bunch of "tatted" hipsters/yuppies hanging out at the bars and cafes in the middle of the day.

what part of ENY? 

Originally Posted by illadelALLDAY

You guys are hilarious. I used to complain about the same things: "oh there's a bunch rich people moving into my nighborhood, durrp durrp."

And then I realized I sound like an idiot. Yeah, hipsters are annoying but they don't really bother anyone. And I'd rather have them around my way than the people slangin on the corner and the junkies, thank you. I got this weird thing about not liking crime in my neighborhood...weird, I know.
Amen brother. All these clowns talking about the neighborhood is loosing its "culture." I much rather have hipsters moving in then these 4th generation losers bangin' and slangin' on the block still living in their grandmas house.

Back
Top Bottom