Is Nike responsible for the way shoe collecting is today?

people need to wake up, take a look in the mirror and take responsibility for their actions.

nike is only providing what people are choosing to go bananas over.

I think ninjahood was definitely onto something.  I would actually add from a sociological viewpoint the rise of the sneaker as a fashion symbol in direct relation to hip-hop culture.  As hip-hop blew up in the '80s, so did the sneakers that rappers, DJ's, and breakers all wore.  We've seen this come full circle decades later with the hype over the upcoming Yeezy 2 release.

Originally Posted by ooIRON MANoo

Loaded question.
Yes and No...

They are a marketing machine, they have made the LeBron and Kobe line's succesful not only because of their tech but by limiting releases and letting blogs and message boards slap nicknames on them.  They are doing the same thing with Kevin Durant's line.

It's genius really, they are moving the units they want.  JB is following suit with some of their ghastly "Retro +" colorways.  It doesn't look good to have them sit on shelves, and "selling out" creates a frenzy.  How do you guarantee that, by limiting quantities.

Market manipulation, create hype.  The public aka "sneakerheads" are eating it up.

Personally, officially taking a break from this nonsense until it cools down a bit.  I get nothing out of paying top dollar for a shoe I like.  A steal nowadays is getting them for retail
30t6p3b.gif

Man you aint lyin. I remember the days of gettin for a steal

Originally Posted by ooIRON MANoo

Loaded question.
Yes and No...

They are a marketing machine, they have made the LeBron and Kobe line's succesful not only because of their tech but by limiting releases and letting blogs and message boards slap nicknames on them.  They are doing the same thing with Kevin Durant's line.

It's genius really, they are moving the units they want.  JB is following suit with some of their ghastly "Retro +" colorways.  It doesn't look good to have them sit on shelves, and "selling out" creates a frenzy.  How do you guarantee that, by limiting quantities.

Market manipulation, create hype.  The public aka "sneakerheads" are eating it up.

Personally, officially taking a break from this nonsense until it cools down a bit.  I get nothing out of paying top dollar for a shoe I like.  A steal nowadays is getting them for retail
30t6p3b.gif
Truth. 
It's because MANY people are willing to "spend rent money on shoes" that resellers can get away with outrageous prices. You can see on Ebay the amount of successful auctions where MFers are charging $250 + $30 Economy shipping for limited editions KD.

Because resellers can sell a pair of shoes for 2x retail pretty successfully, Nike is not going to side with the consumers. They'll raise their prices just a little bit below what they estimate the value on the secondary market will be, making you think that even though it's high, you still get a deal. Watch the Elite line sell out on release day (for comparison purposes, the Elite soccer cleats could be found at outlets for less than 1/2 retail - which was $400).

Bottom line is, until we learn to say "no" to the price increases and the manufactured scarcity by not buying or by buying after the price drops, Nike can't be blamed for doing whatever they want to increase their bottom line.

Originally Posted by JTPlatnum

people need to wake up, take a look in the mirror and take responsibility for their actions.

while this is true at the end of the day, you're asking something to happen that never was and never will be.

Nike is exploiting the human psyche man. Do yall know how much money they spend on market psychologists, group studies etc. 

I would just say my biggest arguement is Nike would actually make more money if they made all their shoes completely available and people wouldnt have to get to stores early. I mean you say it's peoples fault but do you really expect people to agree on "ok these 1000 people can go peacefully to the store and get these new limited Js"?

Beasts and resellers are the main problems but it wouldnt hurt if Nike handled the availability of popular releases a little better.

Originally Posted by TeamJordan79

Originally Posted by JTPlatnum

while this is true at the end of the day, you're asking something to happen that never was and never will be.

Nike is exploiting the human psyche man. Do yall know how much money they spend on market psychologists, group studies etc. 
and...? 
at the end of the day, we still have a CHOICE. whether or not we're marketed to or not - we're marketed to in a billion ways in obscene amounts - we are still responsible for that choice. we're not no victims here. 

EDIT: oops...double negative up there. Meant to say 'we are not victims'

Back
Top Bottom