Is the Average Person Dumb?

common sense is not all to common.....cognitive thinking is required to anything you participate in your daily life situations if you don't have that you'll remain oblivious and you actually refuse to even learn or adapt news ways of learning. Their are people out there who think the Earth is flat. I've spoken a lot of people in my lifetime even though im young (22 yrs old) i've talking to a 5 yr old who knows more than about the plant earth than a high school kid who takes Earth science. I don't consider my self oblivious to the certain things i might not know, but i rather unaware of topics i've yet to explore.

Their are dumb people out their who are stuck in one state of mind and wouldn't explore other ways they can learn.

Originally Posted by Alchemist IQ

common sense is not all to common.....cognitive thinking is required to anything you participate in your daily life situations if you don't have that you'll remain oblivious and you actually refuse to even learn or adapt news ways of learning. Their are people out there who think the Earth is flat. I've spoken a lot of people in my lifetime even though im young (22 yrs old) i've talking to a 5 yr old who knows more than about the plant earth than a high school kid who takes Earth science. I don't consider my self oblivious to the certain things i might not know, but i rather unaware of topics i've yet to explore.

Their are dumb people out their who are stuck in one state of mind and wouldn't explore other ways they can learn.

People in this thread need to be specific when they say common sense, because what's common sense to you may not be common to others and vice versa-something to think about

I'd like to see some examples of common sense that some people lack

Originally Posted by nawlinsjunkie

yes, but the average American is completely brainless. Not that I'm complaining...we need people to be idiots so there's less competition for good jobs 
pimp.gif

With that statement, you basically said that you need average people to be the "dumb slaves" (average American) to make room for the "smart slaves" (You, "smarter American").
First free yourself from the mundane cycle of this American paper chase then you can worry about who the real dummy is. 
wink.gif

grin.gif

Originally Posted by 651akathePaul

To me it always feels like the average person is either misinformed or ignorant.
I'm gonna go with this, at least in America, and it's by choice. As a culture it doesn't seem that being knowledgable is all that important. The common goals in this country seem to be wealth (financially), fame, material objects. It seems even a lot of those who do seem to attempt to use their intelligence only really put their focus on one certain aspect in which they plan on looking for a future in. These days attaining knowledge is not "fun", why learn something when you don't have to seems to be most peoples way of thinking. So in this sense, yeah the average person is dumb 

Originally Posted by AntonLaVey

Originally Posted by Alchemist IQ

People in this thread need to be specific when they say common sense, because what's common sense to you may not be common to others and vice versa-something to think about

I'd like to see some examples of common sense that some people lack
What is common sense?

Originally Posted by IamDavidRice

My girl and I were arguing for about two hours on whether the average American is dumb. I think they are she disagreed what's your take on it NT?
Dumb? Not necessarily. 
Ignorant of (and uninterested by) the world outside their doorstep? IMO, yes.

Originally Posted by All Ready

funny thing is nobody considers themselves as the average dumb person

everybody laughs at the people are dumb joke

Pretty much yeah

I'm not sure if it's just the people i've encountered in life, but from the amount of grown people who i've ran into who can't discern the differences among the following i would say most people are dumb.

their, they're, and there
to, too, and two
your and you're

I won't even mention simple math... too many idiots. CFO of my government job read $2.05 bil from a slide as "2 billion 500 thousand dollars" after stopping to think about it for a minute. I thought to myself "what a smart man we have here..."

Originally Posted by slickp42189

a person is smart, people are dumb

and the average person is not dumb, you have the same potential as Dr Ben Carson had, the avg person has the potential for anything, the hardest part is that most dont want to put in the work it takes to be "above average" or MAYBE even exceptional (i think that takes a special gene pool to be exceptional but we are still changing)

I agree. Good stuff, man.

Originally Posted by CoupeIt88

Originally Posted by Mark Antony

I think its like 45-55% of Americans cannot point out England on a map...some astounding number like that. Ridiculous.

I dunno bout that, it usually says England on it.
But it really is all relative, i could completely see a well read, brilliant engineer not knowing country locations due to geography not being a strong point in his studies.  If we came up with a scale though with the most base intellectual requirements that we all agree on across the board, the avg. person would still come out on the wrong side of that.
Yea but if it says UK or Great Britain, they become lost. 

Originally Posted by TeamJordan79

Originally Posted by Mark Antony

I dunno bout that, it usually says England on it.
But it really is all relative, i could completely see a well read, brilliant engineer not knowing country locations due to geography not being a strong point in his studies.  If we came up with a scale though with the most base intellectual requirements that we all agree on across the board, the avg. person would still come out on the wrong side of that.
Yea but if it says UK or Great Britain, they become lost. 
LOL I think that was CoupeIt88's point. Rarely, if ever, will a legitimate map say "England" on it. 

Back
Top Bottom