Is this the "Bubble" of Nikes right now??

Before the Concords, I hadn't copped a pair of J's since the Black/Metallic V's in '07.  

My question is when did it get like this?  NDC failed me last night and for the Concords, as well.  Those are the only 2 fails in my history of copping J's from NDC on release night.  

I remember thinking the beasts were bad back in the mid-2000's.  That was NOTHING compared to now apparently.  

Originally Posted by PRIME

I hope sneakers burn out. I'm tired of this hype and commercialized force feeding of the "sneakerhead/collector" mentality that the internet and media is encouraging.

It makes it harder to get sneakers and it takes a simple enjoyable hobby and turns it into a kids popularity contest.

I'm just glad I was able to buy, wear and re-sell everything to where I broke even or made a profit. The worst fear is getting stuck with a closet full of shoes that will eventually turn to dust (trust me, no matter how much saran wrap and moisture packets you use, they will eventually turn to dust).

I hope sneakers burn out. I'm tired of this hype and commercialized force feeding of the "sneakerhead/collector" mentality that the internet and media is encouraging.

It makes it harder to get sneakers and it takes a simple enjoyable hobby and turns it into a kids popularity contest.

Originally Posted by Animal Thug1539

I blame this solely on Nike and the celebrities. What used to be something very easy for myself and others on here to buy - has now became a frenzy.
Quite frankly, I'm getting tired of what used to be a hobby of ours; is now some type of underground market for unknown's to attempt to get rich off of. I can guarantee you 40% or more of the people trying to buy these are buying them with the intent to re-sell them for a higher price. It's ridiculous.

Pretty much sums up the way I feel.
tired.gif
30t6p3b.gif
30t6p3b.gif
30t6p3b.gif

Originally Posted by goldenchild9

They are some shrewd business men.
The recession started and they improved JB quality, cut out all of the funky colorways and brought out the all time classics 1 after another, they increased the prices to accommodate for inflation (and rising material coasts, eventhough they have streamlined the manufacturing to keep costs down) and they ramped up their social network marketing...resulting in profits and a stock price that is through the roof.

6nuluw.jpg

I'm a Jordan fanatic but I have eyes to see.

They are about their $ right now in these crucial times, a great indication that I need to do the same.

As much as I love the Cements and as dope as those Galaxy Foams are, its not bothering me in the slightest to pass on them.

The sneaker market is now like the stock market, you're an idiot to rush and pick up on sneakers just because of the hype. They will still be there on eBay, NT, Twitter, ISS, Mom and Pop stores, Outlets, etc. after the release date. And the prices will continue to fluctuate as heat floods the market.

Get your paper right then you can scoop whatever you want with a clear conscience.
"I'm the flyest, with most _'s wantin' to deal with Nike
I'm like 'Dumb _, I'm tryna buy it"

Forget buying sneakers, buy shares. 
pimp.gif

I couldn't agree more than what a lot of guys said here. I'm glad I still have my '99 cement IVs. Now I can keep my hard earned money for something else instead of a pair of shoes.

Originally Posted by goldenchild9

They are some shrewd business men.
The recession started and they improved JB quality, cut out all of the funky colorways and brought out the all time classics 1 after another, they increased the prices to accommodate for inflation (and rising material coasts, eventhough they have streamlined the manufacturing to keep costs down) and they ramped up their social network marketing...resulting in profits and a stock price that is through the roof.

I'm a Jordan fanatic but I have eyes to see.

They are about their $ right now in these crucial times, a great indication that I need to do the same.

As much as I love the Cements and as dope as those Galaxy Foams are, its not bothering me in the slightest to pass on them.

The sneaker market is now like the stock market, you're an idiot to rush and pick up on sneakers just because of the hype. They will still be there on eBay, NT, Twitter, ISS, Mom and Pop stores, Outlets, etc. after the release date. And the prices will continue to fluctuate as heat floods the market.

Get your paper right then you can scoop whatever you want with a clear conscience.

Word! Were on the same page. I'm so glad I got past the stage where I had to get everything that glitters. It doesnt even phase me now. I'll cop when I get my $$$$ situated.

[h1]Nike stock trading above $100 means it is in split territory[/h1]
10567145-large.jpg
View full sizeAllan Brettman / The OregonianThe Nike Swoosh adorns some repurposed bleachers at the downtown Nike Portland store.
Nike stock burst through the $100-a-share barrier Jan. 18 and has been hovering in three-digit territory ever since.

A rising tide is generally good for all shareholder boats. But inside the company's headquarters near Beaverton, the stock's lofty perch means something else: it's about time to make like a banana and split.

Nike's board of directors has approved a two-for-one stock split on five occasions since the company first went public on Dec. 2, 1980. The past three splits -- in 1995, 1996 and 2007 -- came shortly after after the company's share price surged past $100. Nike closed Wednesday at $106.60.

"That seems like the trigger point," said Sara Hasan, a Seattle-based stock analyst with McAdams Wright Ragen Inc.

Stock splits exchange one share of stock at a higher price for two or more shares at a lower one -- leaving the dollar value of the holdings unchanged. For example, if a stock was trading at $100 before a two-for-one split, it would trade at about $50 shortly after the split, but have twice as many on the market.

Stock splits are mostly a non-event for people who follow markets closely. It's the rise or fall in value that matters.

"Splits tend to be more appealing to retail investors," Hasan said, "than to institutional investors."

Publicly traded companies will typically split a stock in a bid to attract more traders and increase trading activity.

A 2004 study of stock splits led by Yale University professor Ravi Dhar and his colleagues found that less sophisticated investors increase their buying of a post-split stock while the professional reduce theirs.

"Splits also apparently make stocks more accessible to lower-income investors," says the study, "The Impact of Clientele Changes: Evidence from Stock Splits," "and thus increase the number of shareholders in a company and change the demographic composition."

10567626-large.jpg
View full size
Hasan said it's possible the Nike board of directors, if it chooses to split the share price, would want to make the stock more affordable.

If or when Nike's board of directors would make a decision to split the stock is a bit of a mystery.

Nike spokeswoman Mary Remuzzi said the board meets five times a year, but said the meeting dates are not disclosed publicly.

Remuzzi referred to Nike chief executive Mark Parker's remarks in a 2007 news release announcing the most recent split as a way of explaining the company's rationale.

But Parker, who had taken over the top management role just a year before the split, did not directly address the split in his remarks.

"Nike has a consistent track record of delivering value to our shareholders. Our goal is to grow revenues to $23 billion by fiscal 2011. We'll get there with growth across our portfolio of brands, led by the strength of the Nike brand. We'll also continue to operate with discipline as we drive toward our long-range target of mid-teens earnings per share growth. I've never been more confident and excited about our future growth opportunities."

Got me lookin at my stock like
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by Gex The Damaja

It never dies out, the people just get replaced. The guys that do it for the recognition usually burn out once college hits and no cares about that. Problem is they get replaced by a new breed of High Schoolers every year. 
This new batch is incredible...how they're goin release after release with these price hikes...i don't even know
I had trouble in high school saving up for $115-135, and now it's $160+ 
laugh.gif

I still think this is a result of the Concord release that got on the news...people saw how those went for $400 minimum on resale, so all these people are out there thinking every JB release will be the same. But the main people at fault is JB, who still don't produce enough pairs to satisfy everybody and drive down resale prices

I've moved on to Lebrons. Better, more vibrant colorways and I'm actually seeing him play.

However it pisses me off that no stores orders them and the ones that do sell out quick.

What I marvel at is the THIRST for Jordans from a generation that has absolutely no connection to the man or ever saw him play.

Right now he's just a guy who can't dress who owns the worst franchise in the NBA.

For me buying retro J's was nostalgic. I had some of them the first time around or the 1st time they'd retro.

Amazing what JB has done to keep themselves so relevant with their retro models today.

Indeed the product of smart marketing. That and a generation that seems so celebrity obsessed that if Kanye wears it, they NEED it.

When in doubt, blame the internet. HA!

A bubble though?

Really?

I always think sneakerheads take their hobby more seriously than the rest of the world does.

In that, I mean that you all think you're more important than you really are... A bubble would have to imply that EVERYONE was taking part in it. You all are talking about a segment of shoes in one department of Nike's entire business model.

I don't see this happening for running shoes, cleats, cross trainers, or just walking shoes.

Originally Posted by CoolGrayMemo

Originally Posted by LimitedRetroOG

Just wait until the Galaxy Foams next week... I'm shuddering just thinking about it...
30t6p3b.gif

then the Yeezys. 
tired.gif
I want a pair if Yeezy 2's so badly. But I'm not that much of a go hard to ensure a pair. I'm not lining up for a week
30t6p3b.gif
30t6p3b.gif

Originally Posted by sillyputty

A bubble though?

Really?

I always think sneakerheads take their hobby more seriously than the rest of the world does.

In that, I mean that you all think you're more important than you really are... A bubble would have to imply that EVERYONE was taking part in it. You all are talking about a segment of shoes in one department of Nike's entire business model.

I don't see this happening for running shoes, cleats, cross trainers, or just walking shoes.

o hey sillyputty
back on topic you know damn well what im talkin about though

anyways this mornin i seen some old man an woman talkin about they were coppin for their son, BS

the smiles they had on their faces goin back to that ol VW beetle was smile of laughing to the bank, i bet they goin on local craigslist already

never seen this in CT before, NY always had to deal with this but it has NEVER been like this before, I talked to a handful of random people today an they all agree its changed.

sneakerhead? 

first off i dont even dress like a sneakerhead or feel some imporantance dunno what youre talkin about im just talking about all the years i never seen it like this and others agree on an off niketalk.

Reeeeeally. You don't say! Brilliant observation!

I'm pretty sure that's what makes them "sneakerheads". I put that in quotes because it's a cornball term I don't use. I just like sneakers. Hard to believe I'm sure since we're on......Niketalk.

I won't even touch on your assumption that we think we're more "important" than we really are. Somewhat ironic considering the source.

Thanks for sharing though.

This dude silly.  
laugh.gif

Must everything be a debate?  Honestly, it isn't even up for debate that this Jordan retro thing IS out of control and approaching a new level of hype.  So yes, people on NIKETALK, a.k.a. "sneakerheads" are affected by it.  Hence we discuss it.  

While "sneakerheads" are a very small part of the shoe-buying public, we're on Niketalk dude.  For the type of shoes that we on NT go for, you could very easily say that we're on a bubble.  Stop acting like you can't put 2+2 together and get what OP was getting at.  Unbelievable.  

Originally Posted by illphillip

What I marvel at is the THIRST for Jordans from a generation that has absolutely no connection to the man or ever saw him play.

Right now he's just a guy who can't dress who owns the worst franchise in the NBA.

For me buying retro J's was nostalgic. I had some of them the first time around or the 1st time they'd retro.

Amazing what JB has done to keep themselves so relevant with their retro models today.

Indeed the product of smart marketing. That and a generation that seems so celebrity obsessed that if Kanye wears it, they NEED it.

When in doubt, blame the internet. HA!

Well said.

It's the 90's babies fam....born with no originality..
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by megatron

I always sort of wanted the whole sneaker thing to get more exposure and recognition among people, like my friends, that didn't really know about the culture, so they would understand it a little better. But things have gotten out of control. A lot of people, not just kids, these days don't know a thing about the shoes and buy just to buy. I have no problem with those buying because they like them. But you got 50% of people buying them because everyone else is getting them (i.e. Concord release) and another 25% buying just to resell.
PRIME wrote:

Agree. I blame Twitter, Tumblr, Wale, This whole "swag" snapback, bulls, %$#% movement, etc.
30t6p3b.gif
Got kids posting pictures and saying "oh i paid 50$ for my vintage grizzlies snapback, gonna wear them with my white spacejams."
indifferent.gif

But oh well, I save money every release I don't make, so i guess some good comes out of it.

Truth my brother... Truth...
30t6p3b.gif

Originally Posted by Gex The Damaja

It never dies out, the people just get replaced. The guys that do it for the recognition usually burn out once college hits and no cares about that. Problem is they get replaced by a new breed of High Schoolers every year. 
It is undoubtedly worse than 10 years ago.  Hell, even 3 years ago wasn't this bad.  I can definitely see it "dying out" a bit at some point though.

Even though Ive been passing on nearly everything for a couple years now I had this same thought

this morning when I saw the lines outside of the stores.

I wonder if it has become a trend and like all trends will get "uncool."

Or was it always like this and I was the highschool hypebeast to a a more older cat

but I just grew up and continued a cycle.

Its been 12 years since the last retro. 12 years!!! No CDP, no QS. Did you not think people would be out in droves for them.

Jordan hype is up again because they're retroing OG's and classic colorways. Playoff XII's, Olympic VI's, and black/red iv's will bring the same level of craziness.

Rappers have taken it to an entirely new level. When you have Rick Ross, Jay-Z, Kanye, Wayne, Khaled, Wale, etc, who can afford to buy the Gucci, Prada, but instead are wearing Jordans, this has taken things to a new level.

A few years ago, it was starting to be lame and played out wearing Jordans.  These rappers and pop stars have made it hip and cool again to wear Jordans. 

I've always worn Nikes/Jordans so I somewhat enjoy it because I don't have to seem like an old guy trying to relive his high school days since the sneaks are hot right now. 
laugh.gif
  I just don't like the drop in quality and prices so I don't really buy much anymore. 

Originally Posted by cguy610

Rappers have taken it to an entirely new level. When you have Rick Ross, Jay-Z, Kanye, Wayne, Khaled, Wale, etc, who can afford to buy the Gucci, Prada, but instead are wearing Jordans, this has taken things to a new level.

A few years ago, it was starting to be lame and played out wearing Jordans.  These rappers and pop stars have made it hip and cool again to wear Jordans. 

I've always worn Nikes/Jordans so I somewhat enjoy it because I don't have to seem like an old guy trying to relive his high school days since the sneaks are hot right now. 
laugh.gif
  I just don't like the drop in quality and prices so I don't really buy much anymore. 
laugh.gif

There's no "bubble" of shoes. Popularity is at an all-time high because of social media, more releases, mass releases of shoes deemed "classics". It doesn't matter if these kids saw Jordan play or not as long as wearing a pair of J's when you're 15 years old is cool. 

Originally Posted by illphillip

Reeeeeally. You don't say! Brilliant observation!

I'm pretty sure that's what makes them "sneakerheads". I put that in quotes because it's a cornball term I don't use. I just like sneakers. Hard to believe I'm sure since we're on......Niketalk.

I won't even touch on your assumption that we think we're more "important" than we really are. Somewhat ironic considering the source.

Thanks for sharing though.
So why call it a bubble then or are we going to shift that definition too?
Nike is selling REALLY well but ya'll want to focus on the fact that more people are wearing shoes ya'll thought were exclusive to onl you all. 

Are Apple products a bubble too then on that accord?

This is my point...you all THINK that people are encroaching on your hobby and crashing the market instead of seeing it for what it really is. There isn't a "bubble" here...its merely the market expanding.

The Dot-Com boom? That was a bubble.

Having more people purchase classic sneaker remakes? Thats not a bubble. 

I stand by my original statement...its to say that you all THINK more highly of yourselves or that you're privy to a certain perspective that really doesn't exist. You think that more rich white kids in upscale suburbs means that there is a "bubble?"

Thats my problem...you all think that you're elite or something just for having a hobby. Its no different than hipsters claiming they were doing something before everyone else was.

I could understand if everyone in the world was competing to buy the latest and greatest between reebok, nike, and adidas, but thats not even happening. There is a small market for these specific sneakers and demand for them is going up...thats not indicative of a bubble. Thats just products selling really well.

You all clamor for days of old, not because the market isn't selling well, but because you wanted a smaller community...well tough. 

Thats what happens when you take yourself too seriously. 

I don't have a problem with you all wanting for things to be "the way they used to be"...but don't start changing words to fit your subjective stance of what a "bubble" is defined as.

As consumers, you're NOT that important in this regard. You're merely individuals who were first to the market...not people contributing to a "bubble"

Originally Posted by superblyTRIFE

This dude silly.  
laugh.gif

Must everything be a debate?  Honestly, it isn't even up for debate that this Jordan retro thing IS out of control and approaching a new level of hype.  So yes, people on NIKETALK, a.k.a. "sneakerheads" are affected by it.  Hence we discuss it.  

While "sneakerheads" are a very small part of the shoe-buying public, we're on Niketalk dude.  For the type of shoes that we on NT go for, you could very easily say that we're on a bubble.  Stop acting like you can't put 2+2 together and get what OP was getting at.  Unbelievable.  

Are you all not understanding what I'm saying?

You all want to act all elite just because more people are buying nikes...

I could care less if some kid who has never touched a basketball or a dumbbell wants to start rocking them... if it harms you so deeply then go look in the mirror and reevaluate what items you need to define who you are as a person.

Originally Posted by Al Audi

A bubble though?

Really? 

o hey sillyputty
back on topic you know damn well what im talkin about though

anyways this mornin i seen some old man an woman talkin about they were coppin for their son, BS

the smiles they had on their faces goin back to that ol VW beetle was smile of laughing to the bank, i bet they goin on local craigslist already

never seen this in CT before, NY always had to deal with this but it has NEVER been like this before, I talked to a handful of random people today an they all agree its changed.

sneakerhead? 

first off i dont even dress like a sneakerhead or feel some imporantance dunno what youre talkin about im just talking about all the years i never seen it like this and others agree on an off niketalk.
Thats not a "bubble" though.

You know it.

Thats like getting mad that more people have iPhones now instead of back in 07. 

Being an elitist doesn't qualify for REDEFINING economic terms.

Its like getting mad at white rappers like Asher Roth or Mac Miller and how far they are from the "essence" of hip-hop...are you going to define what THEY want to purchase?

Like I said, I could understand wanting to debate over the poorer quality materials, or the fact that the "culture" 
eyes.gif
 has changed, but if ya'll want to make an argument about the ECONOMICS of the situation, then you have nothing to complain about.

Nike is posting record profits and doing so by expanding their markets...and on top of that, you're talking about a SEGMENT of Nike...not even the entire brand. The shoes being mentioned in here are the celebrity brands OF particular sports; mainly basketball and a few baseball cross-trainers and the like. It would be different if this "bubble" you refer to extended to cleats, socks, shirts, running shoes, boxing shoes, etc...and all the other branding that Nike does. 

I just don't think its accurate to complain about one segment of one brand only because you were there first.

Nostalgia is one thing, complaining about market share is another. 

Real talk, everyone in here reminds me of that thread about that dude who made the video clowning people waiting in line for the space jams and testing their sneaker "knowledge"

Ya'll clowned the hell out of that dude for doing EXACTLY what you're doing right now. 

Back
Top Bottom