Jay Electronica Disguised His Voice To Avoid Hip-Hop Prejudice [ Once Ashamed To Be From The South]

Originally Posted by Harlem On The Rise

But wasn't TIME just clownin Jada sayin he doesn't do #s?? Yet he's sellin WAAAAAAAAAAAY more than prolly the 2nd biggest act in the south...

Yall Ns don't make anysense...

Now yall wanna say its the label this label that...

But Jada's album is April did 130K+ where as Gucci's album in December (shopping season) didn't even break 100K... So how yall eve fix your face to try and clown Jada's #s??
he outsold TI? since when?

he outsold a brand new trap rap artist... big deal... he still aint do good numbers...

Originally Posted by MusicalExcellence

But wasn't TIME just clownin Jada sayin he doesn't do #s?? Yet he's sellin WAAAAAAAAAAAY more than prolly the 2nd biggest act in the south...

Yall Ns don't make anysense...

Now yall wanna say its the label this label that...

But Jada's album is April did 130K+ where as Gucci's album in December (shopping season) didn't even break 100K... So how yall eve fix your face to try and clown Jada's #s??
he outsold TI? since when?

he outsold a brand new trap rap artist... big deal... he still aint do good numbers...

Now Gucci Mane is BRAND new... Didn't he drop that GARBAGE "So Icey" back in what 2005??... Ddidn't he drop that GARABGE "Freaky Girl" in like 07... He's BRAND new tho??

Jada didn't do good #s?? He's almost @ 440K... 

Def Jam shipped out more albums than Asylum did for Gucci. And quit talking like Gucci run the south. He got buzz but there are about 5 or 6 rappers out the south who are bigger than Gucci and that's just the dudes who come out ever year. There are even more who are just on hiatus right now. IF the label ships out a limited amount of albums then what do you want Gucci to sell? You can tell Def Jam shipped more units of that Jada album because he's already shipped gold and he's not at 500k yet. Props to Jada but to compare Gucci to him? Gucci more of a indie artist than Jada is. 
Paul Wall & Mike Jones moved units on Asylum tho (provided it was a much different atmosphere in music but still)

What rappers in the south are bigger than Gucci outside of TI & Weezy??

If they didn't sell more than 440K don't even mention them... Cause yall Ns wanna clown Jada's #s but the Ns yall givin props aint even movin what he's movin in an off year...

#Stopit5

if yall runnin' the rap game then why yall south dudes sound mad? Still begging for respect from east coast Ns
laugh.gif

he's brand new to mainstream as far as im concerned...

u aint see all these gucci avy/sigs back then...

imo the song that really blew gucci and them up was make the trap say aye...

i guess nobody... i dont really care... i just know he doesnt do numbers in the grand scheme of things...

im not defending the south... we not even talkin about music and all that here... we talkin about jay electronica and a case of *****assness he had back in the day...

If HE doesn't do #s what are them Ns selling A LOT less than him doin??...

I only heard 2 Jay Elect songs in my life, I D/Led his mixtape lastnight, haven't listened yet tho...

Yall Ns always tryin take shots @ NY... Yall walk around with a chip on your shoulder and *++!...

If HE doesn't do #s what are them Ns selling A LOT less than him doin??...

I only heard 2 Jay Elect songs in my life, I D/Led his mixtape lastnight, haven't listened yet tho...

Yall Ns always tryin take shots @ NY... Yall walk around with a chip on your shoulder and *++!...

first off what u mean yall? im from cleveland %%%#!
laugh.gif

and the only reason i brought it up is cuz ninjahood actin like a ny cosign guarantees u platinum status or somethin... i wasnt even tryin to ##@$ on jada really... i just thought of him first... would u feel better if i replaced him with fat joe?
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by Uptown Hadji

http://www.thisis50.com/profiles/blogs/jay-electronica-disguised-his

Jay Electronica experienced some hip-hop prejudice when people heard the Southern twang in his voice — so he started disguising it.

"I would go somewhere — I would go to an open mic and when theyheard my accent and not understand what I'm saying, it would just be adoor-closer," Jay told MTV UK on a recent trip to Europe. "I made apoint in being able to speak in a certain way that I wouldn't get thedoor closed on me. All of these things make me who I am now, you know.

"I have to admit, you know, a few years ago, I wouldn't haveadmitted this — or maybe I wouldn't have been conscious of it in a wayto admit or be embarrassed — but in my earlier years from when I firstleft home, I was embarrassed from being from the South," he added. "Notin general, but as a rapper because all of the negative things thatpeople in the States put on the South. Like, 'The South, they're slow.They move slow, they think slow, they're less intelligent. They're lessexposed, they're underexposed, they're more sheltered.' So as a rapper— I've been rapping since I was 10 years old — I always had a feelingof 'I'm gonna show you' because we down here doing it. Not that I wasembarrassed necessarily — I don't know if that's the correct word — butI know that when I left home, if someone had heard my accent and heardwhere I was from, the door was immediately closed."

Electronica said he had to adapt and become a chameleon on the mic.While trying to break into the music industry, he moved betweendifferent cities such as New York, Atlanta and Chicago.

"I kind of stiff-armed my roots for a couple of years," the Brooklyntransplant continued of his journey. "Then my sister told me one day,'You know, you act like you're ashamed of being from home.' It was likea reality check. I checked myself. I mean, this is years ago, but nowI'm at a place where I understand where I'm from. I understand myculture and I'm more proud to be from there than associate withsomewhere else."

Despite trying to hide his roots early on, Jay thinks back to the early days of New Orleans hip-hop with a smile.

"I'm from New Orleans and there's a certain type of music," heexplained. "I come from a bounce culture — bounce music. You been toNew Orleans a couple times, you probably heard of the bounce music.It's a part of me; I grew up with bounce music. It's call-and-response,it's trance, it's tribal, it's communal, it's African, it's based inAfrica ... the energy of it."

Did you all actually READ the article?
the man is expressing his experience of tryna make it in the game and the prejudice that people showed him.

no where in there did i read that he was ashamed to be from New Orleans. when i listen to his music the man reps the city hard. 

some people said after reading this they lost respect for Jay...for me i gained even MORE respect for him to be able to admit that.

"It was like a reality check. I checked myself. I mean, this is years ago, but now I'm at a place where I understand where I'm from. I understand my culture and I'm more proud to be from there than associate with somewhere else."

how can you show hate towards a person for admitting this? i read some of yall saying "ah he should of kept this to his self" 

but why? 

being real is looked down upon now? 

you dudes kill me...

nah fool... he shoulda never felt like that in the first place... thats not real
But who are you tho?
for real...who are you to judge what people should feel and what they should experience...

and then claim it's not real???

who are you?

Originally Posted by StrongMind3

Originally Posted by Uptown Hadji

http://www.thisis50.com/profiles/blogs/jay-electronica-disguised-his

Jay Electronica experienced some hip-hop prejudice when people heard the Southern twang in his voice — so he started disguising it.

"I would go somewhere — I would go to an open mic and when theyheard my accent and not understand what I'm saying, it would just be adoor-closer," Jay told MTV UK on a recent trip to Europe. "I made apoint in being able to speak in a certain way that I wouldn't get thedoor closed on me. All of these things make me who I am now, you know.

"I have to admit, you know, a few years ago, I wouldn't haveadmitted this — or maybe I wouldn't have been conscious of it in a wayto admit or be embarrassed — but in my earlier years from when I firstleft home, I was embarrassed from being from the South," he added. "Notin general, but as a rapper because all of the negative things thatpeople in the States put on the South. Like, 'The South, they're slow.They move slow, they think slow, they're less intelligent. They're lessexposed, they're underexposed, they're more sheltered.' So as a rapper— I've been rapping since I was 10 years old — I always had a feelingof 'I'm gonna show you' because we down here doing it. Not that I wasembarrassed necessarily — I don't know if that's the correct word — butI know that when I left home, if someone had heard my accent and heardwhere I was from, the door was immediately closed."

Electronica said he had to adapt and become a chameleon on the mic.While trying to break into the music industry, he moved betweendifferent cities such as New York, Atlanta and Chicago.

"I kind of stiff-armed my roots for a couple of years," the Brooklyntransplant continued of his journey. "Then my sister told me one day,'You know, you act like you're ashamed of being from home.' It was likea reality check. I checked myself. I mean, this is years ago, but nowI'm at a place where I understand where I'm from. I understand myculture and I'm more proud to be from there than associate withsomewhere else."

Despite trying to hide his roots early on, Jay thinks back to the early days of New Orleans hip-hop with a smile.

"I'm from New Orleans and there's a certain type of music," heexplained. "I come from a bounce culture — bounce music. You been toNew Orleans a couple times, you probably heard of the bounce music.It's a part of me; I grew up with bounce music. It's call-and-response,it's trance, it's tribal, it's communal, it's African, it's based inAfrica ... the energy of it."

Did you all actually READ the article?
the man is expressing his experience of tryna make it in the game and the prejudice that people showed him.

no where in there did i read that he was ashamed to be from New Orleans. when i listen to his music the man reps the city hard. 

some people said after reading this they lost respect for Jay...for me i gained even MORE respect for him to be able to admit that.

"It was like a reality check. I checked myself. I mean, this is years ago, but now I'm at a place where I understand where I'm from. I understand my culture and I'm more proud to be from there than associate with somewhere else."

how can you show hate towards a person for admitting this? i read some of yall saying "ah he should of kept this to his self" 

but why? 

being real is looked down upon now? 

you dudes kill me...
This is what people don't agree with......

""I have to admit, you know, a few years ago, I wouldn't haveadmitted this — or maybe I wouldn't have been conscious of it in a wayto admit or be embarrassed — but in my earlier years from when I firstleft home, I was embarrassed from being from the South," he added. "Notin general, but as a rapper because all of the negative things thatpeople in the States put on the South."

Paul Wall & Mike Jones moved units on Asylum tho (provided it was a much different atmosphere in music but still)

Ifthey didn't sell more than 440K don't even mention them... Cause yallNs wanna clown Jada's #s but the Ns yall givin props aint even movinwhat he's movin in an off year...

#Stopit5
Off top i'd say Luda is bigger than Gucci. I'd say Rick Rawse is bigger than Gucci. I'd say Bun B is bigger than Gucci. I'd say Jeezy is bigger than Gucci. And these are just the artists who are droppin' #+@ every year. And who sold 440k? Jada or Gucci? Why do I gotta name someone who outsold Jada in order to prove that they are bigger than Gucci? My point was Gucci ain't the biggest artist in the south like you're claiming. He's big in the mixtape scene and indie scene but he's not mainstream.

rocyaice wrote:

This is what people don't agree with......I have to admit, you know, a few years ago, I wouldn't haveadmitted this — or maybe I wouldn't have been conscious of it in a wayto admit or be embarrassed — but in my earlier years from when I firstleft home, I was embarrassed from being from the South," he added. "Notin general, but as a rapper because all of the negative things thatpeople in the States put on the South."
and then said...
"So as a rapper — I've been rapping since I was 10 years old — I always had a feeling of 'I'm gonna show you' because we down here doing it. Not that I was embarrassed necessarily — I don't know if that's the correct word — but I know that when I left home, if someone had heard my accent and heard where I was from, the door was immediately closed."

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
[/font]

[/font]my thing is i dont think anyone can judge him because of what is said here....

now if jay said "the south is garbage i moved away from there and it isnt a part of me" then there is basis for judgement to be thrown at the man at an alarming rate

Originally Posted by rocyaice

If they didn't sell more than 440K don't even mention them... Cause yall Ns wanna clown Jada's #s but the Ns yall givin props aint even movin what he's movin in an off year...

#Stopit5
Off top i'd say Luda is bigger than Gucci. I'd say Rick Rawse is bigger than Gucci. I'd say Bun B is bigger than Gucci. I'd say Jeezy is bigger than Gucci. And these are just the artists who are droppin' #+@ every year. And who sold 440k? Jada or Gucci? Why do I gotta name someone who outsold Jada in order to prove that they are bigger than Gucci? My point was Gucci ain't the biggest artist in the south like you're claiming. He's big in the mixtape scene and indie scene but he's not mainstream.

Jada sold more records than Rick Ross...

Jada's first week was better than what Luda posted last week... (I guess Def Jam doesn't like Luda tho)...

Last Kiss sold more than Bun B's last joint...

Out of all the cats you just named Jada outsold all of them except Jeezy, and this is Jada's worst selling album to date... (the verdict is still out on Luda's joint) So how yall laughin @ NY Ns then??

Gucci is ONE of the biggest artist in the south... We wouldn't be havin 10-12 page threads about Waka Flocka if Gucci wasn't big enuff to make his weed carriers relevent to an extent... Without Gucci theres no OJ The Jewman on the cover of XXL (twice)...

Yall Ns just say sidewayz ##$! about Nz, then when what you said is proven to be idiotic yall act like Ns is small time now, as if Gucci aint have the BIGGEST buzz of a southern artist in sometime, but now he's "brand new" and he aint THAT big...

%@*# outta here  

Originally Posted by StrongMind3

rocyaice wrote:

This is what people don't agree with......I have to admit, you know, a few years ago, I wouldn't haveadmitted this — or maybe I wouldn't have been conscious of it in a wayto admit or be embarrassed — but in my earlier years from when I firstleft home, I was embarrassed from being from the South," he added. "Notin general, but as a rapper because all of the negative things thatpeople in the States put on the South."
and then said...
"So as a rapper — I've been rapping since I was 10 years old — I always had a feeling of 'I'm gonna show you' because we down here doing it. Not that I was embarrassed necessarily — I don't know if that's the correct word — but I know that when I left home, if someone had heard my accent and heard where I was from, the door was immediately closed."

[/font]

[/font]my thing is i dont think anyone can judge him because of what is said here....

now if jay said "the south is garbage i moved away from there and it isnt a part of me" then there is basis for judgement to be thrown at the man at an alarming rate

i dont understand how u could even begin to think some +*%$ like "i gotta get rid of this accent asap!"

its just stupid...  

""I have to admit, you know, a few years ago, I wouldn't haveadmitted this — or maybe I wouldn't have been conscious of it in a wayto admit or be embarrassed — but in my earlier years from when I firstleft home, I was embarrassed from being from the South," he added. "Notin general, but as a rapper because all of the negative things thatpeople in the States put on the South."
If I was a rapper from the South not on the shh the majority of them were doing at that time(and currently now) I'd be embarrassed of them and distance myself as much as I could. I'm not even from the South and just as a hip hop fan I'm embarrassed for a lot of them.

But they trappin and makin money AYE!!!!!!!!!

Right?
smh.gif

Originally Posted by ninjahood

Originally Posted by MOSTHATED770

dude said cube is better than 3000
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

umm...he is.
three months ago u thought the t-mobile sidekick was the greatest phone ever invented...

why should we trust u?
unlike 3000, icecube has a CLASSICS in his solo catalog ALONG with his NWA group work.

nwa.jpg
\

Ice%2BCube%2B-%2BAmerikkkas%2BMost%2BWanted%2B%28Front%29.jpg

icecube.jpg

music-ice-cube-the-predator.jpg

Westside_Connection_-_Bow_Down_%28Front%29.jpg

P.S. your phone sucks compared to mine....

This like the whole I wish I was white so I bleach my skin thing 
smh.gif

He wanted to be an NY rapper so bad he became irrelevant like one congrats Mr. Electric.
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by Master Zik

If I was a rapper from the South not on the shh the majority of them were doing at that time(and currently now) I'd be embarrassed of them and distance myself as much as I could. I'm not even from the South and just as a hip hop fan I'm embarrassed for a lot of them.

But they trappin and makin money AYE!!!!!!!!!

Right?
smh.gif
That's fine if you'd be embarrassed.  I wouldn't change my accent up to distance myself from the region that birthed me. That's where me and Jay differ at.

BTW, why are you embarassed? Or why would you be embarrassed that is? And who is it that would make you feel embarassed about how some people make music?

The funny thing is I'm anticipating Jay's eventual retail release more than any release from an East Coast artist.
He's seem to have combined a Southern type mentality with the word play & lyrical essence of an East Coast individual.
Quite interesting.............................. Like how Common's Resurrection was for many people way back. The East coast is curious about dude.

Back
Top Bottom