Jay Electronica Disguised His Voice To Avoid Hip-Hop Prejudice [ Once Ashamed To Be From The South]

ninjahood cube was not a lyricist... he had lyrics but that wasnt his main focus... dude could just rap his !%% off... it was still about the song itself more than anything...

Originally Posted by dreamhigh

this guy said ras kass
laugh.gif
ok im forgetting im on NT .. so when you think of cali, you think lyricists? hmm ok i think good feel good rider music
and the people you mention dont even matter, besides cube, and cube had mad delivery and flow, his lyrics were never bad but "lyrically driven" i think not
cube made good songs , and all you NY $!+*$$ care about is "BARS" and i mean com on are you really checking for the liks or xzibit , the biggest point in
X to the Z career was Pimp my ride goofy. 3stacks and Face are more lyrical than anybody you named so at the end of the day ... IT DOESNT MATTER WHERE YOUR FROM IF YOU CAN RAP YOU CAN RAP
smh.gif

oh yeah
midwest = south > west >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> East
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Ice Cube > Scarface & Andre 3000

You hypocrites are doin the EXACT same *!#% you accuse the east coasters of doin, yall act like Gangsta Rap is the ONLY thing the west ever did...

Originally Posted by MusicalExcellence

ninjahood cube was not a lyricist... he had lyrics but that wasnt his main focus... dude could just rap his !%% off...
ironhide_facepalm.jpg

you letting Image dictate what kinda rapper you think someone is....

Icecube was da lyrical force in NWA, him & MC ren....i thought EVERYONE KNEW THAT.....
smh.gif

gucci just has distribution... them buyin copies woudlnt help themout... im not sayin def jam went out of their way for jada oranything... im sayin he's on a major so he got better/more promo...
laugh.gif

another #fail for you sir....on gucci's last album Warner Bros. handled da bulk of da promotions (da major arm of asylum) Gucci himself said they treated his album like a Major

project on a article in XXL magazine....

Jadakiss had ZERO promotion on def jam, son just sold off da strength of having a fan base stretching from da 90's to da present and everyone respecting duke.

Originally Posted by ninjahood

bottomline is if da east rocks with you (which includes A TON OF MEDIA OUTLETS & PRESS) so will everyone else....its not always true da other way around.
so thats why jada sells all them copies?
thats why papoose is poppin?
jae millz anybody?
oh i forgot u a freck billionaire fan
with respect to what Ninja is saying
I dont think anyone overseas really cares for any artists if they're not from NY with the exception of GAME, weezy, and Kanye
they dont understand the lyrics but they want what they assume is "real" and lyrical, I'm pretty sure they assume NY artists got that... jussayin

Originally Posted by Harlem On The Rise

this guy said ras kass
laugh.gif
ok im forgetting im on NT .. so when you think of cali, you think lyricists? hmm ok i think good feel good rider music
and the people you mention dont even matter, besides cube, and cube had mad delivery and flow, his lyrics were never bad but "lyrically driven" i think not
cube made good songs , and all you NY $!+*$$ care about is "BARS" and i mean com on are you really checking for the liks or xzibit , the biggest point in
X to the Z career was Pimp my ride goofy. 3stacks and Face are more lyrical than anybody you named so at the end of the day ... IT DOESNT MATTER WHERE YOUR FROM IF YOU CAN RAP YOU CAN RAP
smh.gif

oh yeah
midwest = south > west >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> East
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

You hypocrites are doin the EXACT same *!#% you accuse the east coasters of doin, yall act like Gangsta Rap is the ONLY thing the west ever did...
You were on point until....^

Originally Posted by ThunderChunk69

bottomline is if da east rocks with you (which includes A TON OF MEDIA OUTLETS & PRESS) so will everyone else....its not always true da other way around.
jae millz anybody?
I dont think anyone overseas really cares for any artists if they're not from NY with the exception of GAME, weezy, and Kanye
they dont understand the lyrics but they want what they assume is "real" and lyrical, I'm pretty sure they assume NY artists got that... jussayin
to even build on what you said, look at da UK, and da rest of europe.....all dem dudes is digging da boom bap/hardcore NYC rap scene, they not moving wit da south sound....

it explains why 50 cent is such a international figure.

jae millz anybody?
to even build on what you said, look at da UK, and da rest of europe.....all dem dudes is digging da boom bap/hardcore NYC rap scene, they not moving wit da south sound....

50 cent music dont even sound like he from new york...

this guy said ras kass
laugh.gif
smh.gif

oh yeah
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

that was reeeeal disrespectful
mad.gif
laugh.gif
your intitled to your opinion fam chill my *%%@@ its all in fun

ninjahood cube was not a lyricist... he had lyrics but that wasnt his main focus... dude could just rap his !%% off...
ironhide_facepalm.jpg

you letting Image dictate what kinda rapper you think someone is....

Icecube was da lyrical force in NWA, him & MC ren....i thought EVERYONE KNEW THAT.....
smh.gif

gucci just has distribution... them buyin copies woudlnt help themout... im not sayin def jam went out of their way for jada oranything... im sayin he's on a major so he got better/more promo...
laugh.gif

another #fail for you sir....on gucci's last album Warner Bros. handled da bulk of da promotions (da major arm of asylum) Gucci himself said they treated his album like a Major

project on a article in XXL magazine....

Jadakiss had ZERO promotion on def jam, son just sold off da strength of having a fan base stretching from da 90's to da present and everyone respecting duke.

You can't even compare the amount of albums Asylum ships out to what Def Jam does. Asylum doesn't ship out half the albums Def Jam does.

grin.gif
gucci's last album was propped up marketing wise by warner bros.

imma have to scan da article, cuz ya tryin to sell jadakiss short....gucci's had WAAAAAY more promo/CD's out then jadakiss...son had 2 videos for his

joint, one of em didn't appear on da album.

just answer me this... would u have done what jay did?
It was a business move... Him being from the south would have been a disadvantage for what he was trying to do musically...

Its no defferent then Premier whos from Texas, but his sound was East Coast... Guru is from Boston, but he made Brooklyn his home... D.O.C. is from Texas but everyone thought he was an LA N... What dude did is NOTHIN new, its been goin on in  hip hop... @#%@ Vanilla Ice did that same @#%@ too...

No there's a big difference. No one is knockin' Jay Electronica for his music. His music sounds East Coast and that's fine. Nobody cares about that. But changing your accent because you don't want to sound like you're from the south because you're embarassed? That's the problem. Premo didn't do that +$#. DOC never did that. DOC repped DFW from the get go. And F Vanilla Ice. I'm glad he didn't claim Texas.
laugh.gif

this guy said ras kass
laugh.gif
andthe people you mention dont even matter, besides cube, and cube had maddelivery and flow, his lyrics were never bad but "lyrically driven" ithink not
cube made good songs , and all you NY $!+*$$ care about is"BARS" and i mean com on are you really checking for the liks or xzibit, the biggest point in
X to the Z career was Pimp my ride goofy.3stacks and Face are more lyrical than anybody you named so at the endof the day ... IT DOESNT MATTER WHERE YOUR FROM IF YOU CAN RAP YOU CANRAP
smh.gif

oh yeah
midwest= south > west>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>East
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

What'shyprocritical? This the second time you've said this. And Ice Cube >Scarface and Dre? What......in.....the.....hell? Are you on that wetright now? Cube better than both Dre and Scarface put together? Or areyou saying he's better rappers than both? Either way that's a suspectopinion.

Originally Posted by 5dividedby4

Originally Posted by rocyaice

Originally Posted by IKnowRap

some of yall dudes trippin like for real for real...he never saidASHAMED ONCE IN THAT ARTICLE....HE SAID EMBARRASSED AND FURTHER SAIDTHAT WASNT EVEN THE RIGHT WORD TO USE

how old are some of yall that u cant realize or foresee when youbout to get played or not walking into a situation....especially if itshappening repeatedly

so yall tellin me, its "ASHAMED "  "EMBARRASSED" "tryin to find a way in the game and dont wanna get played cuz im fromthe south, or boxed in cuz im from the south"= WACK?????
Yeait is wack. You're probably speaking from a fans perspective. And i'm afan of his too but its wack. He shouldn't be condemnded for it. He wentand snagged up some NY cats along the way. But he only did it becausethe thought he was from the East.
laugh.gif
I personally think its wack. Ashamed or Embarrassed what's the difference? Both are attributed of a self hatin' N.

Notreally a fans persepective....Consider yaself a rapper from Louisiana,home of No Limit, Cash Money, Trill whatever you know the background,you know after u say "Dirty South" theres one thought after u say"Louisiana" there will be another thought....

if your style isnothing similiar to the cats u getting grouped with and people nottaking your word for it....what would u do? (keep in mind u not downSouth no more where its all love unless u just wack)

A cat canpeep a NO cat off slang alone and have it made up in ur mind that heprolly gon rap just like he talk. BOOM door close...so what would u do?

Orsay the label wants to sign u but got a twisted view of you and wannaride the down south wave and tell u to spit the best rhymes bout broadsrims and drugs, what would u do?

I feel what you'resaying. But dude is from New Orleans. The birthplace of the biggestrapper in the game. Its not like he was from Alabama or Mississippi orsome %**. New Orleans rap scene has been accepted all over the country.I remember before Juvie really hit it big hearing about him up in NYdoin' some %**.

But my main problem is that if dudes reallyare putting stereotypes on dudes who come from the South then shouldn'tJay try to change that? Show that a cat from the south can spit? WhatJay to me is hurting the rap scene even more. He could be helping theSouth's image for the next rapper who may have had the sameinsecurities as he has coming into the game but instead he's gonna hidehis accent? That's wack to me. I takes nothing away from the rapper.He's a talented guy and i'm a fan. But personally this puts a stain onhim IMO.
He said in the interview this was yearsago. Lil' Wayne probably wasn't the Lil' Wayne we know now. And Waynechanged up his sound too. That wobbly wobbly drop it like it's hotwasn't getting him the attention that he's getting now. Wayne got withan eastcoast artist and changed his whole style up but I guessthat's different.

Wayne been rappin' like this since the early 00's though. Right after 500 Degreez. And wobbly wobbly had Wayne going platinum.

just answer me this... would u have done what jay did?
It was a business move... Him being from the south would have been a disadvantage for what he was trying to do musically...

Its no defferent then Premier whos from Texas, but his sound was East Coast... Guru is from Boston, but he made Brooklyn his home... D.O.C. is from Texas but everyone thought he was an LA N... What dude did is NOTHIN new, its been goin on in  hip hop... @#%@ Vanilla Ice did that same @#%@ too...

No there's a big difference. No one is knockin' Jay Electronica for his music. His music sounds East Coast and that's fine. Nobody cares about that. But changing your accent because you don't want to sound like you're from the south because you're embarassed? That's the problem. Premo didn't do that +$#. DOC never did that. DOC repped DFW from the get go. And F Vanilla Ice. I'm glad he didn't claim Texas.
laugh.gif

this guy said ras kass
laugh.gif
andthe people you mention dont even matter, besides cube, and cube had maddelivery and flow, his lyrics were never bad but "lyrically driven" ithink not
cube made good songs , and all you NY $!+*$$ care about is"BARS" and i mean com on are you really checking for the liks or xzibit, the biggest point in
X to the Z career was Pimp my ride goofy.3stacks and Face are more lyrical than anybody you named so at the endof the day ... IT DOESNT MATTER WHERE YOUR FROM IF YOU CAN RAP YOU CANRAP
smh.gif

oh yeah
midwest= south > west>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>East
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

What'shyprocritical? This the second time you've said this. And Ice Cube >Scarface and Dre? What......in.....the.....hell? Are you on that wetright now? Cube better than both Dre and Scarface put together? Or areyou saying he's better rappers than both? Either way that's a suspectopinion.

Originally Posted by 5dividedby4

some of yall dudes trippin like for real for real...he never saidASHAMED ONCE IN THAT ARTICLE....HE SAID EMBARRASSED AND FURTHER SAIDTHAT WASNT EVEN THE RIGHT WORD TO USE

how old are some of yall that u cant realize or foresee when youbout to get played or not walking into a situation....especially if itshappening repeatedly

so yall tellin me, its "ASHAMED "  "EMBARRASSED" "tryin to find a way in the game and dont wanna get played cuz im fromthe south, or boxed in cuz im from the south"= WACK?????
Yeait is wack. You're probably speaking from a fans perspective. And i'm afan of his too but its wack. He shouldn't be condemnded for it. He wentand snagged up some NY cats along the way. But he only did it becausethe thought he was from the East.
laugh.gif
I personally think its wack. Ashamed or Embarrassed what's the difference? Both are attributed of a self hatin' N.

Notreally a fans persepective....Consider yaself a rapper from Louisiana,home of No Limit, Cash Money, Trill whatever you know the background,you know after u say "Dirty South" theres one thought after u say"Louisiana" there will be another thought....

if your style isnothing similiar to the cats u getting grouped with and people nottaking your word for it....what would u do? (keep in mind u not downSouth no more where its all love unless u just wack)

A cat canpeep a NO cat off slang alone and have it made up in ur mind that heprolly gon rap just like he talk. BOOM door close...so what would u do?

Orsay the label wants to sign u but got a twisted view of you and wannaride the down south wave and tell u to spit the best rhymes bout broadsrims and drugs, what would u do?

I feel what you'resaying. But dude is from New Orleans. The birthplace of the biggestrapper in the game. Its not like he was from Alabama or Mississippi orsome %**. New Orleans rap scene has been accepted all over the country.I remember before Juvie really hit it big hearing about him up in NYdoin' some %**.

But my main problem is that if dudes reallyare putting stereotypes on dudes who come from the South then shouldn'tJay try to change that? Show that a cat from the south can spit? WhatJay to me is hurting the rap scene even more. He could be helping theSouth's image for the next rapper who may have had the sameinsecurities as he has coming into the game but instead he's gonna hidehis accent? That's wack to me. I takes nothing away from the rapper.He's a talented guy and i'm a fan. But personally this puts a stain onhim IMO.
He said in the interview this was yearsago. Lil' Wayne probably wasn't the Lil' Wayne we know now. And Waynechanged up his sound too. That wobbly wobbly drop it like it's hotwasn't getting him the attention that he's getting now. Wayne got withan eastcoast artist and changed his whole style up but I guessthat's different.

Wayne been rappin' like this since the early 00's though. Right after 500 Degreez. And wobbly wobbly had Wayne going platinum.
he wasn't getting NYC coverage like he is now till he got down w/ da dipset and changed his whole flow up.

grin.gif
gucci's last album was propped up marketing wise by warner bros.

imma have to scan da article, cuz ya tryin to sell jadakiss short....gucci's had WAAAAAY more promo/CD's out then jadakiss...son had 2 videos for his

joint, one of em didn't appear on da album.

Nobody selling Jada short. Jada has gone platinum twice solo wise right? Didn't he go platinum twice with the Lox as well? Its not about selling Jada short. I just don't understand where the comparison is coming from. One is a established artist. An established seller. An established name. An established label. One is a relatively unknown outside of a hood near you in Gucci who's on Asylum who doesn't ship out many albums to begin with. How many Asylum albums have even gone gold? Its why they're still in business. They don't put much into production costs. They ship minimal albums. Warner ain't gonna ship out a million albums when they know the album is gonna sell no more than 300k.

I also don't understand why ya'll are comparing a album that came out in April to one that just came out in December. That's also mind boggling.

But wasn't TIME just clownin Jada sayin he doesn't do #s?? Yet he's sellin WAAAAAAAAAAAY more than prolly the 2nd biggest act in the south...

Yall Ns don't make anysense...

Now yall wanna say its the label this label that...

But Jada's album is April did 130K+ where as Gucci's album in December (shopping season) didn't even break 100K... So how yall eve fix your face to try and clown Jada's #s??

lol $##%!@ try to give nyc credit for everything...

i guess yall freed us from slavery too...
ummm...yeah we kinda did....did you even finish highschool?

These cats can't be serious. They really want credit for everything. I bet they won't take credit for Wacka Flocka Flame though.
laugh.gif

Dude should've kept that to himself.

Ironically he's closing doors now by admitting that cus a lot of cats are gonna hear this and not wanna #!!% with him on GP.

Rep yo ward wodie...

take yo %+% back to dr... yall ant free #%#+

But wasn't TIME just clownin Jada sayin he doesn't do #s?? Yet he's sellin WAAAAAAAAAAAY more than prolly the 2nd biggest act in the south...

Yall Ns don't make anysense...

Now yall wanna say its the label this label that...

But Jada's album is April did 130K+ where as Gucci's album in December (shopping season) didn't even break 100K... So how yall eve fix your face to try and clown Jada's #s??
Def Jam shipped out more albums than Asylum did for Gucci. And quit talking like Gucci run the south. He got buzz but there are about 5 or 6 rappers out the south who are bigger than Gucci and that's just the dudes who come out ever year. There are even more who are just on hiatus right now. IF the label ships out a limited amount of albums then what do you want Gucci to sell? You can tell Def Jam shipped more units of that Jada album because he's already shipped gold and he's not at 500k yet. Props to Jada but to compare Gucci to him? Gucci more of a indie artist than Jada is.

NYC freed the slaves now?
laugh.gif
: Really? When? NYC probably birthed Jesus too according to ya'll.

50 cent music dont even sound like he from new york...
not the point tho
nerd.gif
nerd.gif
nerd.gif

take yo *@@ back to dr... yall ant free @%+*

where you from?

Back
Top Bottom