Jay Electronica Disguised His Voice To Avoid Hip-Hop Prejudice [ Once Ashamed To Be From The South]

Originally Posted by dreamhigh

Originally Posted by MusicalExcellence

Originally Posted by ninjahood

bottomline is if da east rocks with you (which includes A TON OF MEDIA OUTLETS & PRESS) so will everyone else....its not always true da other way around.
so thats why jada sells all them copies?

thats why papoose is poppin?

jae millz anybody?

oh i forgot u a freck billionaire fan
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
Ny's hottest artist right now is nicki minaj and who she signed to ... hmmm ... the real bottomline rap how you want, but there was no purpose of coming out saying that in an interview
pimp.gif

dont forget waka
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by Harlem On The Rise

if i compared 2 rappers, 1 from NYC & one from ATL you AUTOMATICALLY gonna assume da cat from NYC got nicer bars without

ever hearing they music. 
Cats won't admit it, but THATs true..

& it doesn't really matter where you're from, its more of where do YOU sound like you're from...

Someone like Jay Elect or a J Cole their sound is closer to what we've heard from traditional east coast artists, with Cole he said he was a fan of East Coast music for years so its no surprise that his music has those same elements...

I think their sound is more accepted on the east, more so then they would be in their homestates, they seen that too and its prolly part if the reason they relocated...

*%% ..do yall ny %%%%*% know that nobody thinks your artists are hot anymore
smh.gif
.. the average joe will say wayne is the best rapper alive... so why the %%@# would anybody care where jay elect is from ... cali's not know for BARS as yall like to put it. and you dont judge nipsey or wack !+@ Game ... jay elect was a $*#!# for that ... and yall act like it matters, he prolly would of had a better chance to go mainstream with his accent.

Cali isn't known for bars?? Cali has always had lyrically driven music weather it be a Ras Kass, Xzibit or the Liks or the Heiroglyphics or Ice Cube to Kurupt... 

Cali has a pretty solid history when it comes to lyrcist and rappers alike... Where you're drawing YOUR conclusions from, I don't know...

But Jada has sold more than Gucci Mane (almost 140K more) who is one of the hottest cats in the south... & Jada has consistantly UNDERacheived throughout his career, but has still managed to move more units than Gucci who has DEF OVERacheived... & Jada's last album was his WORST selling album to date...

Originally Posted by IKnowRap

Originally Posted by rocyaice

some of yall dudes trippin like for real for real...he never said ASHAMED ONCE IN THAT ARTICLE....HE SAID EMBARRASSED AND FURTHER SAID THAT WASNT EVEN THE RIGHT WORD TO USE

how old are some of yall that u cant realize or foresee when you bout to get played or not walking into a situation....especially if its happening repeatedly

so yall tellin me, its "ASHAMED "  "EMBARRASSED"  "tryin to find a way in the game and dont wanna get played cuz im from the south, or boxed in cuz im from the south"= WACK?????
Yea it is wack. You're probably speaking from a fans perspective. And i'm a fan of his too but its wack. He shouldn't be condemnded for it. He went and snagged up some NY cats along the way. But he only did it because the thought he was from the East.
laugh.gif
I personally think its wack. Ashamed or Embarrassed what's the difference? Both are attributed of a self hatin' N.

Not really a fans persepective....Consider yaself a rapper from Louisiana, home of No Limit, Cash Money, Trill whatever you know the background, you know after u say "Dirty South" theres one thought after u say "Louisiana" there will be another thought....

if your style is nothing similiar to the cats u getting grouped with and people not taking your word for it....what would u do? (keep in mind u not down South no more where its all love unless u just wack)

A cat can peep a NO cat off slang alone and have it made up in ur mind that he prolly gon rap just like he talk. BOOM door close...so what would u do?

Or say the label wants to sign u but got a twisted view of you and wanna ride the down south wave and tell u to spit the best rhymes bout broads rims and drugs, what would u do?

I feel what you're saying. But dude is from New Orleans. The birthplace of the biggest rapper in the game. Its not like he was from Alabama or Mississippi or some %**. New Orleans rap scene has been accepted all over the country. I remember before Juvie really hit it big hearing about him up in NY doin' some %**.

But my main problem is that if dudes really are putting stereotypes on dudes who come from the South then shouldn't Jay try to change that? Show that a cat from the south can spit? What Jay to me is hurting the rap scene even more. He could be helping the South's image for the next rapper who may have had the same insecurities as he has coming into the game but instead he's gonna hide his accent? That's wack to me. I takes nothing away from the rapper. He's a talented guy and i'm a fan. But personally this puts a stain on him IMO.

if i compared 2 rappers, 1 from NYC & one from ATL you AUTOMATICALLY gonna assume da cat from NYC got nicer bars without

ever hearing they music. 
Cats won't admit it, but THATs true..

& it doesn't really matter where you're from, its more of where do YOU sound like you're from...

Someone like Jay Elect or a J Cole their sound is closer to what we've heard from traditional east coast artists, with Cole he said he was a fan of East Coast music for years so its no surprise that his music has those same elements...

I think their sound is more accepted on the east, more so then they would be in their homestates, they seen that too and its prolly part if the reason they relocated...

*%% ..do yall ny %%%%*% know that nobody thinks your artists are hot anymore
smh.gif
.. the average joe will say wayne is the best rapper alive... so why the %%@# would anybody care where jay elect is from ... cali's not know for BARS as yall like to put it. and you dont judge nipsey or wack !+@ Game ... jay elect was a $*#!# for that ... and yall act like it matters, he prolly would of had a better chance to go mainstream with his accent.

Cali isn't known for bars?? Cali has always had lyrically driven music weather it be a Ras Kass, Xzibit or the Liks or the Heiroglyphics or Ice Cube to Kurupt... 

Cali has a pretty solid history when it comes to lyrcist and rappers alike... Where you're drawing YOUR conclusions from, I don't know...

But Jada has sold more than Gucci Mane (almost 140K more) who is one of the hottest cats in the south... & Jada has consistantly UNDERacheived throughout his career, but has still managed to move more units than Gucci who has DEF OVERacheived... & Jada's last album was his WORST selling album to date...

man we all know cali is known for smooth laid back rap... most people dont know who the ##!* ras kass is and the heiroglyphyks are underground as well...

the west's most popular rappers are snoop and game... bars my %@!
laugh.gif

and jada is on def jam while gucci is independent... jada got gucci's lil @%#!# on a song...

im not a fan of either im just sayin...

Extremely lame on Jay's part. But not surprising. I've met tons of self hating southerners. Never understood that.

laugh.gif
@ the direction this thread took. Some of y'all need to get them chips off your shoulders......it aint healthy.

Saying the West is known for bars and throwing Rass Kass and Hyroglyphics out there is like me saying the South is known for bars and throwing out Cunninglynguists and Little Brother. Ya'll know damn well nobody knows who that perm wearin' Rass Kass is so stop it.
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by SEND ONE

Extremely lame on Jay's part. But not surprising. I've met tons of self hating southerners. Never understood that.

laugh.gif
@ the direction this thread took. Some of y'all need to get them chips off your shoulders......it aint healthy.
Crazy thing is before this article Jay didn't strike me as a self hating dude. I see him rep New Orleans healthily. I see him rep the South. But this is definately the attribute of one.

How you goin make fun of Jada not selling records tho... But he moved more units then one of the souths BIGGEST 2 or 3 rappers @ the moment... (he outsold Rick Ross too)

Def Jam or not, there was quite a few southern artist of Def Jam that flopped last year... (Lil Ru from South Cakk, Swag Surfin dudes, Triple Cs) and Gucci's %!+* was distributed via Warner Bros

People know about Ice Cube... Is he not a lyricist?? Is Kurupt NOT a lyrcist (and his situation is sumular to Jay Electronica's, cause Kurupt is from Philly but always repped the west EXTRA hard, he never got heat for that)...

Underground or not, their STILL from the west aren't they??

What self respecting hip hop fan doesn't know about Ras Kass?? He debut in 96 the west was gettin MAJOR publicity... He was on the Up In Smoke tour... & Del's debut album is recognized as a hip hop classic, the same goes for Ras Kass debut...

Its not about not knowing who they are. When you throw the South out there people think of Outkast, TIP, etc. When you think of the East you think of Fif, Jay, Nas, etc. When you think of the West man Rass Kass name isn't brought up. I think of Game and Snoop. I think of Dre. Hell I think of Too Short and E 40 before Rass Kass.

How you goin make fun of Jada not selling records tho... But he moved more units then one of the souths BIGGEST 2 or 3 rappers @ the moment... (he outsold Rick Ross too)

Def Jam or not, there was quite a few southern artist of Def Jam that flopped last year... (Lil Ru from South Cakk, Swag Surfin dudes, Triple Cs) and Gucci's %!+* was distributed via Warner Bros

People know about Ice Cube... Is he not a lyricist?? Is Kurupt NOT a lyrcist (and his situation is sumular to Jay Electronica's, cause Kurupt is from Philly but always repped the west EXTRA hard, he never got heat for that)...

What self respecting hip hop fan doesn't know about Ras Kass?? He debut in 96 the west was gettin MAJOR publicity... He was on the Up In Smoke tour... & Del's debut album is recognized as a hip hop classic, the same goes for Ras Kass debut...
cube is a decent rapper... he aint no got damn lyricist... kurupt is ok... but thats 2 people... who are barely even active now... and yea they're still from the west but that means the average listener doesnt know them... nobody knows who del is either... thats that backpack *!*! from the west.. i only know about del cuz of my backpack phase and i didnt know who the %!%% ras kass was til rassassination...

and my point wit jada and gucci was that gucci didnt have the major label promotion... and i still believe def jam bought albums...

EDIT
aint this @!@%@ sposed to be a 5%er or somethin... @!@%@ raps mad deep but this is some SUPER shallow %++%...

But who's running Warner Bros NOW?? The SAME cats that used to run Def Jam, so who's to say they didn't buy copies of Gucci %+%% too?? Either way, I don't think they bout 140K copies...So he still moved more units... What did Def Jam do for Jada out of the ordinary?? I didn't think the promotion on his joint was out of this world how you tryin to make it seem...

& yall are doin the EXACT same thing you accuse us on the east coast of doing, basing our preception of an artist on who ever is the MOST popular in that region as to how everyone else sounds... You guys are making blanket statements about the west coast...

Yall Ns some hypocrites foreal...

some of yall dudes trippin like for real for real...he never said ASHAMED ONCE IN THAT ARTICLE....HE SAID EMBARRASSED AND FURTHER SAID THAT WASNT EVEN THE RIGHT WORD TO USE

how old are some of yall that u cant realize or foresee when you bout to get played or not walking into a situation....especially if its happening repeatedly

so yall tellin me, its "ASHAMED "  "EMBARRASSED"  "tryin to find a way in the game and dont wanna get played cuz im from the south, or boxed in cuz im from the south"= WACK?????
Yea it is wack. You're probably speaking from a fans perspective. And i'm a fan of his too but its wack. He shouldn't be condemnded for it. He went and snagged up some NY cats along the way. But he only did it because the thought he was from the East.
laugh.gif
I personally think its wack. Ashamed or Embarrassed what's the difference? Both are attributed of a self hatin' N.

Not really a fans persepective....Consider yaself a rapper from Louisiana, home of No Limit, Cash Money, Trill whatever you know the background, you know after u say "Dirty South" theres one thought after u say "Louisiana" there will be another thought....

if your style is nothing similiar to the cats u getting grouped with and people not taking your word for it....what would u do? (keep in mind u not down South no more where its all love unless u just wack)

A cat can peep a NO cat off slang alone and have it made up in ur mind that he prolly gon rap just like he talk. BOOM door close...so what would u do?

Or say the label wants to sign u but got a twisted view of you and wanna ride the down south wave and tell u to spit the best rhymes bout broads rims and drugs, what would u do?

I feel what you're saying. But dude is from New Orleans. The birthplace of the biggest rapper in the game. Its not like he was from Alabama or Mississippi or some %**. New Orleans rap scene has been accepted all over the country. I remember before Juvie really hit it big hearing about him up in NY doin' some %**.

But my main problem is that if dudes really are putting stereotypes on dudes who come from the South then shouldn't Jay try to change that? Show that a cat from the south can spit? What Jay to me is hurting the rap scene even more. He could be helping the South's image for the next rapper who may have had the same insecurities as he has coming into the game but instead he's gonna hide his accent? That's wack to me. I takes nothing away from the rapper. He's a talented guy and i'm a fan. But personally this puts a stain on him IMO.
He said in the interview this was years ago. Lil' Wayne probably wasn't the Lil' Wayne we know now. And Wayne changed up his sound too. That wobbly wobbly drop it like it's hot wasn't getting him the attention that he's getting now. Wayne got with an eastcoast artist and changed his whole style up but I guess that's different.

gucci just has distribution... them buyin copies woudlnt help them out... im not sayin def jam went out of their way for jada or anything... im sayin he's on a major so he got better/more promo...

how are we makin blanket statements... the west coast only has 2 rappers that actually matter in mainstream... since we're talkin about hip hop we have to think about everybody from the die hard fan to the most casual listener (who wouldnt know who the %**# ras kass is)... that was my point...

just answer me this... would u have done what jay did?

Originally Posted by 5dividedby4

laugh.gif

He said in the interview this was years ago. Lil' Wayne probably wasn't the Lil' Wayne we know now. And Wayne changed up his sound too. That wobbly wobbly drop it like it's hot wasn't getting him the attention that he's getting now. Wayne got with an eastcoast artist and changed his whole style up but I guess that's different.

his style is still southern... its flow based...

just answer me this... would u have done what jay did?
It was a business move... Him being from the south would have been a disadvantage for what he was trying to do musically...

Its no defferent then Premier whos from Texas, but his sound was East Coast... Guru is from Boston, but he made Brooklyn his home... D.O.C. is from Texas but everyone thought he was an LA N... What dude did is NOTHIN new, its been goin on in  hip hop... @#%@ Vanilla Ice did that same @#%@ too...

Originally Posted by 5dividedby4

rocyaice wrote:

IKnowRap wrote:

rocyaice wrote:

IKnowRap wrote:

laugh.gif

his style is still southern... its flow based...

laugh.gif

Wayne is so popular because he is the a combanation of both...East coast/midwest cats will bump him for the lyrics and southern cats will bump him for the flow/cadence.

Another reason why y'all record sales are better...A lot of cats buys CD's in the south cause they be driving all the time whyile east coast/midwest cats rely on public transportation. Also a lot of southern cats ain't got the internet like that too.

cube is a decent rapper... he aint no got damn lyricist...
indifferent.gif

son just showed how much he DOESN'T know about hiphop...
laugh.gif

this guy said ras kass
laugh.gif
ok im forgetting im on NT .. so when you think of cali, you think lyricists? hmm ok i think good feel good rider music
and the people you mention dont even matter, besides cube, and cube had mad delivery and flow, his lyrics were never bad but "lyrically driven" i think not
cube made good songs , and all you NY $!+*$$ care about is "BARS" and i mean com on are you really checking for the liks or xzibit , the biggest point in
X to the Z career was Pimp my ride goofy. 3stacks and Face are more lyrical than anybody you named so at the end of the day ... IT DOESNT MATTER WHERE YOUR FROM IF YOU CAN RAP YOU CAN RAP
smh.gif

oh yeah
midwest = south > west >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> East
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Back
Top Bottom