JB Couldn't justify price increases before but they definitely cannot after seeing this....

that is why i have not bough JB stuff for some time now. skipped the sj release. dont care about em.

I don't know how anyone could tolerate spending 175+tax for shoes that are deformed, im sure not all of the SJ's came out this bad but from the onesive seen they definitely looked BAD, I'm glad to see others feel the same way and or have begun to see the light on this issue. You can see from this sideby side pic (not my pic BTW) that the 09's construction is very very poor, much more narrow, with most likely less material used. Also, you'll noticethe 09's arch up towards the toe area i.e. that banana shape.

they need to change this-

cause it aint true. but people still buy, myself included...

Animal Thug1539 wrote:
The quality doesn't justify the rise in prices because obviously the decrease is evident. This is a new age in buying shoes. It was apparent that technology is what shoe companys relied on during the "integrity" years. Now, your sales are based on what the shoe looks like. That's why the team jordans have the quality of what a retro model should have. Team Jordans lack the physical appearance of Air Jordan signature shoe, but make up with the quality because of WHAT it's used for. Nowadays, kids are buying these for fashion. From a business standpoint, this makes perfect sense. For you and me, it doesn't.

i'd agree with everything you said except for the highlighted portion
us older sneaker heads tend to romanticize what we believe is the golden era but in truth the shoes were way overpriced then
certainly their has been a decline in craftsmanship and materials used but there were crappy pairs within the old batches and the price point has NEVER beenjustified by the materials used or the construction

we buy them because we like the brand or the model or the colorway, etc
and we will continue to

other than that the comparison between jordans and reeboks is indeed flawed because the two brands have different market shares and reputations amongstconsumers.
lacoste can charge more for a polo shirt than nautica right now without worrying about whether their construction is truly superior.
hyundai can't charge as much as lexus even if they built their own es 300.

Originally Posted by Rafool

tired.gif

Originally Posted by yeerp

Animal Thug1539 wrote:
The quality doesn't justify the rise in prices because obviously the decrease is evident. This is a new age in buying shoes. It was apparent that technology is what shoe companys relied on during the "integrity" years. Now, your sales are based on what the shoe looks like. That's why the team jordans have the quality of what a retro model should have. Team Jordans lack the physical appearance of Air Jordan signature shoe, but make up with the quality because of WHAT it's used for. Nowadays, kids are buying these for fashion. From a business standpoint, this makes perfect sense. For you and me, it doesn't.
us older sneaker heads tend to romanticize what we believe is the golden era but in truth the shoes were way overpriced then
certainly their has been a decline in craftsmanship and materials used but there were crappy pairs within the old batches and the price point has NEVER been justified by the materials used or the construction

and we will continue to

other than that the comparison between jordans and reeboks is indeed flawed because the two brands have different market shares and reputations amongst consumers.
lacoste can charge more for a polo shirt than nautica right now without worrying about whether their construction is truly superior.

Thats not true, Jordan brand and Reebok are direct competitors, hyundai and Lexus are not. Also, hyundai can't get away with charging a crazy amount ofmoney for one of their cars because they haven't been around as long as toyota, and they don't have the reliability toyota does. Jordan brand isrunning on the fumes of past success, reebok is a very established brand they don't have anything to prove, but don't be fooled any brand can fall atanytime,if the consumer continues to support a brand that takes advantage of them then things will never change.

Good thread.

I've always wanted the SJs and I entertained scooping a pair this week. But the grown man in me stopped me. Paying $50 more for horrible quality isn'tjustifiable as a grown man. Paying almost $200 for a shoe with bootleg patent leather and fake carbon fiber just isn't the right move. And sadly, JB willkeep on skimping on the quality because folks line up for hours for these "basketball" shoes.

Unfair price increases and shady quality are the reasons I haven't kept (I've bought a few pairs but sold them after I came to my senses) a pair ofJ's in a good 4 years.

I remember back in the day when your were able to tell a big diffrence between the jordan xi retros and the jordan xi 60 dollar factory variants (fakes) nowyou can't even tell the diffrence but the price went up, im so pissed at jb, why shouldn't I buy a 60 dollar fake when the real ones is made with thesame quality, if not worst!

Originally Posted by s dubl

Im with you Tre...same reason why its rare that I buy Jordans anymore...the Pump 20 really opened my eyes on how quality a sneaker should be done.

Sorry guys, Im not here to bash JB fans, but these guys are taking full advantage of the hype around the sneaker...I mean c'mon I can see raise the price a few bucks, but $50 for crap quality, specila box and some stupid plastic inserts. When you're wearing the shoes no one is going to see the "cool box" or the "cool inserts" that cost you out the !@#.

Some1 who has some pull n da company needs 2 grow a set of balls and bring it up in their bs meetings!!
frown.gif

Originally Posted by trethousandgt

Originally Posted by yeerp

Animal Thug1539 wrote:
certainly their has been a decline in craftsmanship and materials used but there were crappy pairs within the old batches and the price point has NEVER been justified by the materials used or the construction

and we will continue to

other than that the comparison between jordans and reeboks is indeed flawed because the two brands have different market shares and reputations amongst consumers.

Thats not true, Jordan brand and Reebok are direct competitors, hyundai and Lexus are not. Also, hyundai can't get away with charging a crazy amount of money for one of their cars because they haven't been around as long as toyota, and they don't have the reliability toyota does. Jordan brand is running on the fumes of past success, reebok is a very established brand they don't have anything to prove, but don't be fooled any brand can fall at anytime,if the consumer continues to support a brand that takes advantage of them then things will never change.
This is the reason JB will fall, at some point they will run out of gas. Then thats when we see the quality and most desired colorways return, butit may be too late then...

there really is no valid justification for their prices but greed. All these hypebeasts don't help the cause either.

I'd like to add

People will NEVER realize true quality sneakers until they see it for themselves. I never really understood the change in Jordan quality until i bought olderretros and an original XI from 96. I never understood true, genuine, butter leather until I purchased some Yeezy's.

So when the new kids buy these, they expect them to be to their standards, when it's really not the standards it could possibly be at.

Jordan Brand is a smart company for fooling the kids.

It's only going to get worse.

p.s. You can say to the people that bought their pairs that they wasted $175+ but they won't care....as long as they're "fresh azimiz" andbreakin necks of the same sex...it's nothing

Originally Posted by Manglor

The price is justified by the fact people camped out in DECEMBER to pay 175 for XI's and paid even more on ebay after the fact.

As long as big fluffy sheep keep lining up to empty their parents pockets Jordan Brand will keep shaving them down and making sweaters.
[color= rgb(255, 255, 0)]QFT and[/color]
laugh.gif

I thought I was going to have a tear in my eye after seeing the 90's eastbay when shoes were worth buying(for a lot less as well)...

Originally Posted by Animal Thug1539

Good thread.

The quality doesn't justify the rise in prices because obviously the decrease is evident. This is a new age in buying shoes. It was apparent that technology is what shoe companys relied on during the "integrity" years. Now, your sales are based on what the shoe looks like. That's why the team jordans have the quality of what a retro model should have. Team Jordans lack the physical appearance of Air Jordan signature shoe, but make up with the quality because of WHAT it's used for. Nowadays, kids are buying these for fashion. From a business standpoint, this makes perfect sense. For you and me, it doesn't. Honest to God, I remember buying Cool Grey 11s, and wearing them that very same day for CYO basketball games. Same thing I did with black Cement 3s. I used the Air Jordan retro for what it was supposed to be used for. And this wasn't just ME, all my friends did it and so did every I knew who bought Air Jordans.

JB is similar to how gas is sold nowadays. You want regular gas, you pay regular prices...want premium? Pay premium prices. And 1539 ain't falling for it..
applauseb.gif

to this post and OP for making this great thread. Hopefully the new JB supporters will awaken from this

Originally Posted by sickickz23

Originally Posted by Animal Thug1539

Good thread.

The quality doesn't justify the rise in prices because obviously the decrease is evident. This is a new age in buying shoes. It was apparent that technology is what shoe companys relied on during the "integrity" years. Now, your sales are based on what the shoe looks like. That's why the team jordans have the quality of what a retro model should have. Team Jordans lack the physical appearance of Air Jordan signature shoe, but make up with the quality because of WHAT it's used for. Nowadays, kids are buying these for fashion. From a business standpoint, this makes perfect sense. For you and me, it doesn't. Honest to God, I remember buying Cool Grey 11s, and wearing them that very same day for CYO basketball games. Same thing I did with black Cement 3s. I used the Air Jordan retro for what it was supposed to be used for. And this wasn't just ME, all my friends did it and so did every I knew who bought Air Jordans.

JB is similar to how gas is sold nowadays. You want regular gas, you pay regular prices...want premium? Pay premium prices. And 1539 ain't falling for it..

to this post and OP for making this great thread. Hopefully the new JB supporters will awaken from this
I understand what Animal Thug is saying, but for $175+ i expect a product of top quality true to the original...even if it is just for fashion

It's all about DEMAND. Reebok Pumps just don't have the following that Jordans do nowadays. My GF bought me the 20th Anniversary Black/ White/ OrangeOmni Lites for Christmas ($104 shipped) and I was very pleased with the quality (compared to recently released Jordans) and The Hexalite Hangtag
pimp.gif
. The ONLY new release I bought this year are the White/ Red XII's.

Good thread though. I didn't know the Twilight Zones were dropping again. I'll be picking those up too.

In Driven from within, Jordan talks about how after his first retirement Nike weren't sure if the line should continue.

He describes how he bought an annuity to fund new products.. So he has a very direct financial stake in what's going at JB.

Ever since JB broke away from Nike, it's been a cycle of penny pinching, cost cutting, and shoes lacking the performance that matches their price.

The latest price hikes are just the most recent stage of that cycle.

Blame Gentry if it makes you feel better, but Jordan has a large say in what's going on.

Expensive at the time, but in retrospect not overpriced. In 1988 I though $100 for some III's was a lot, but I'd be lying if I said Ididnt get my money's worth. I rocked them till there was no sole left on them. Fast forward to today, I have a pair of retro fire reds that chipped heavilyafter about a dozen wears and they cost 50% more. That's what I call overpriced.

This is the reason JB will fall, at some point they will run out of gas
The minute the needle gets close to "E", they'll just retro certain c/w's of certain shoes and the masses will flock......somebecause of nostalgia, some because of hype.

Originally Posted by trethousandgt

Ok, its pretty much well known at this point that their quality is for %!%!. But people come onto this forum trying to "defend" the price increases and lie to themselves saying the quality isn't that bad (even though i saw a post earlier with a pair of space jams that were leaning to the sides in opposite directions
laugh.gif
). Bottom line is their is no justification for the increase in price, its plain greed. They didn't do any advertising for the shoe, and the quality is worse so why the increase? Inflation you say? Wrong. So anyhow I came across these old reebok pump ads and i noticed that the price on the original's is either equal to or less than the retro's yet the quality of reebok's pump retro's is dead on to the og's.

Reebok has been VERY on point with their pump retro's, the quality has been basically that of the original release, everything has matched up, the cut of the shoe, the placement of colors the quality, and a reebok pump is more expensive to manufacture than a Jordan XI (im willing to bet on that). So how is it, that when reebok retro'd the premier edition pump they were able to sell it for the exact price from 1989. How is it that reebok was able to now retro the twilight zone pump and sell it for LESS than it cost in 1990? Reebok can do it and Jordan brand can't? It just goes to show you that they really are taking advantage of these younger kids, with the horrible quality of the spacejams and talk of a "premium quality" Jordan retro with a higher price tag its time to start really calling JB on their bull %!%!.

Notice the price is nearly 50 dollars less on the originals? And Nike had to advertise heavily for that shoe, R&D, quality materials and a cheaper retail price.

To me its not as much the price increase as the additude.I got a call from the Nikestore and this is the message I got.
We will be passing out numbers at 8-830 on the 23rd.We will call your number at 845.You can then enter the store and buy one pair.
I called back to ask about how many pairs they had.She wouldnt/couldnt tell me.
At this point it became a easy pass for me.Wait in the cold to maybe get a crappy retro at 175?I dont think so.
If I was assured of getting a pair at that price fine.But a lottery?Please.

Back
Top Bottom