JDs / Lawyers (current or aspiring) of NT

fontaine

Banned
Any lawyers /JDs on not?

I'm not trying to practice law... Just interested in what y'all do, the process, etc...

:nerd:

I thought about it but changed my mind when evey lawyer I talked to told me to do something else.

EVERY lawyer told me the same thing.

:lol:

If I was to do any type of law it would be food law.

Interesting.

Food is like... A hidden gem, bruh.

You can make so much damb dough.
That's why I'm going for my Masters in Food Science. It's just my University tried to convince me into law school with the food law last year.

NTLegal here, i hate being an attorney, dont do it. (and i work in criminal law which is actually interesting)

hated law school, been out for about 1 1/2 years

As far as the LSAT goes... its something that is really hard to improve on, i did well enough on it that i teach LSAT courses for Kaplan, and people rarely improve their scores by double digits

Last edited:
I'm enrolled in the Testmasters course and its a ****, man.
mean.gif

I know I can do good with more time, though.
i was the exception to what i said about scores... first practice test i only hit 151, with three months of study i hit 169, so its doable, the powerscore books worked best for me personally

also like you stated 1L year is where you earn your money, yeah you have to keep it up @/3L year, but its easier as everyone is settled into their lanes. most big firms that recruit out of law school will pick their future slaves in fall OCI at the dawn of 2L year, so obviously they go by first year grades and whether youre on law review etc at that point. 

Last edited:
Yea, 3 people in my course also have the bibles so ill definitely be picking those up and just keep trying until I'm consistently getting a score I'm comfortable with.

I just have a lot on my plate right now so it's nearly impossible fitting in the necessary time like most people out of school are able to do. Stressful is not eem the word.
just wait il youre studying for the bar.... youll get through man, just stick to a study schedule and youll be fine

anyone thinking about law school i would say this: dont consider going if you cant get into a tier 1 school, otherwise youre just blowing 100k

Last edited:
In the application process right now, took the test with only a self study book, scored in the 75 percentile but my gpa is admittedly underwhelming. I am still not sure if I will go though, I am currently debt free and making decent money. Losing that income to pay 100k over 3 years is a decision I will have to make in the coming months.

I have no intent to practice, but I feel the degree is def an asset in business and any space that requires a contract. 

Last edited:
Great to know, thank you.
lots gun for the big firm jobs... they pay the best (100-300k entry level) but realize you are going to be working 80-100 hours a week there if you want to make it. most billable hour requirements starts at 2400 per year...

In the application process right now, took the test with only a self study book, scored in the 75 percentile but my gpa is admittedly underwhelming. I am still not sure if I will go though, I am currently debt free and making decent money. Losing that income to pay 100k over 3 years is a decision I will have to make in the coming months.

I have no intent to practice, but I feel the degree is def an asset in business and any space that requires a contract. 
the degree does help, but not as much as you might think

in reality, people in other fields when you job seek just wonder why youre leaving law..... 

Really close family friend is a Rainmaker at a Top 25 firm, the guy lives the life and loves his work.

He recruits at top law schools twice a year and maybe hires one associate per year, very competitive market, and he runs his associates into the ground :lol:

Think they start around $200K+ though

Last edited:
What engineering school do you go to? Stellar GPA may not warrant as much credit if its lowly ranked, just saying

Also know a guy (engineer) who just left to go work at the Patent Office, they pay for engineers' JDs

Thanks, fam.

Yup, that's my main concern. My GPA is good, but I really want to do very well on my LSAT in order to stand out to tier-1 schools.

I've read horror stories
laugh.gif

I mean, I can always fall back on my engineering degree, but I still want to get into a good school, so I'm not taking the LSAT until im completely comfortable and familiar with that ************.
since you have the engineering degree i would look at the patent bar if you go for the JD as well, ppl i know in those fields are happier and still cake up. IP is a good field
That's because

1. Lawyers are greedy
2. They want the money and clients all to themselves
both are true, but the market is also oversaturated with lawyers due to all the lower tier programs, making jobs tough to come by, tough to go into that debt without knowing there is something out there for you post graduation

Last edited:
big firms ten to look at things like law review and whether or not you are top 10%, other than that, i would say its a regional thing meaning you should go to law school close to where you want to work. it will put you ahead in terms of networking and recruitment, big firms in NY and other large markets do recruit nationally, but are more prone to recruit locally (unsurprising considering many of the top schools are located close enough to the big markets)

Just read this whole thread, super interesting as I'm going into college next year and trying to decide on my major. Decent student, 32 on ACT, so got a few options.

Was thinking poly-sci. If I decided to go into law school is a certain pre-law major necessary? The program I'm looking to get into basically let's me make my own major, and take my own classes. Don't have any pre-reqs or gen-eds. Let me know what you guys think.

Just read this whole thread, super interesting as I'm going into college next year and trying to decide on my major. Decent student, 32 on ACT, so got a few options.

Was thinking poly-sci. If I decided to go into law school is a certain pre-law major necessary? The program I'm looking to get into basically let's me make my own major, and take my own classes. Don't have any pre-reqs or gen-eds. Let me know what you guys think.
pre law is not a major itself, and you can go to law school with any major, a majority of my classmates were poly sci majors, if youre considerind IP or the patent bar you should do an appropriate major for that

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom