http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=hill/080404&sportCat=nba
[h1][/h1]
[h1]Can't take the NBA MVP seriously anymore
[/h1]

By Jemele Hill
Page 2
(Archive | Contact)

Updated: April 4, 2008, 1:49 PM ET

What movie did Al Pacino win Best Actor for?

(a) "Scarface"
(b) "Dog Day Afternoon"
(c) "The Godfather"
(d) "The Godfather: Part II"
(e) None of the above, because Academy Award voters are stupid
Pacino, a seven-time Oscar nominee, finally won Best Actor in 1992 for "Scent of a Woman." To date, it's Pacino's only Oscar, and any Pacino fan will tell you that seeing him win for "Scent of a Woman" was like seeing Ice Cube for the first time without his jheri curl. It just wasn't right. It didn't make sense. And you felt cheated.
[+] Enlarge

Should Kobe just be handed the MVP this season? No way.
Sadly, the NBA MVP race has become just as warped and backwards as the Academy Awards. The definition of MVP seems to change every year, and all too often players are rewarded for sentimental reasons and discredited using other ludicrous rationales.
It's no different this season, which somehow universally came to be known as "Kobe's year," even if the Lakers don't finish with the top seed in the Western Conference.

I'm sorry, but that's absurd. No question, Kobe has put up some unbelievable numbers this season. But if New Orleans finishes first in the West and Chris Paul doesn't win the MVP, this award officially can't be taken seriously.
It would be criminal to overlook one of the most brilliant seasons a point guard has ever had. Paul averaged 24 points, 13 assists and nearly 3 steals per game in March. In fact, he's on the verge of becoming the first point guard since John Stockton to lead the league in both assists and steals in the same season. Nobody expected anything from the Hornets, and they're poised to win perhaps the most competitive conference we've ever seen in the NBA.
That's the very definition of MVP -- individual brilliance coinciding with team success. I'm a Kobe supporter, and I still stand by my assertion that Kobe is a more skilled player than Michael Jordan was. But giving Kobe the MVP just because "it's his time" or "he's learned to be a team player" is a disservice.

This is what has become most frustrating about the evolution of the MVP race. Over time, merit has become less of a factor.
In the 1996-97 season, the MVP was thrown in Karl Malone's lap strictly because voters seemed sick of giving it to Michael Jordan, who won the MVP five times. Before that, the benefactor of ABJ (Anybody But Jordan) was Charles Barkley, who was named the MVP for the 1992-93 season even though Jordan averaged 32 points, 6.7 assists and 5.5 rebounds.
LeBron James probably didn't get the consideration he deserved last season because of the "he has plenty of time to win an MVP" argument.

Two-time MVP winner Tim Duncan should have gotten stronger consideration last season, too. But Duncan is the NBA's version of Russell Crowe. After Crowe won Best Actor for "Gladiator," the Academy overlooked him for both "The Insider" and "A "Beautiful Mind." Crowe won't win another one because he's too consistently good. Same goes for Duncan.

[+] Enlarge

If the Hornets, incredibly, finish tops in the Western Conference, tough to argue against Chris Paul.
And only in the NBA could Shaq, the most dominant center of all time, have one MVP while Steve Nash, who has never gotten his team to the NBA Finals, has two.
That's why it's difficult to argue against Kobe, knowing he was cheated out of at least one MVP -- the one Dirk Nowitzki shamelessly won last season.

But while Kobe's renewed commitment to team ball makes for a cute catchphrase, it's a misnomer. Obviously Kobe has matured, but he's a better teammate primarily because he's got a fellow All-Star in Pau Gasol, a deeper, more skilled bench, and an emerging star in Andrew Bynum. Teamwork becomes much easier when your teammates can actually do something with the ball.

Which brings me to another frustrating element of the MVP race. Why are good players considered stronger MVP candidates when they have more help? (See: Kevin Garnett, the 2003-04 MVP.) Isn't the concept of "value" based on doing more with less?

That should be the only criteria. And if it is, Paul is the MVP over Kobe, LeBron and KG. LeBron has had a fine season, and he certainly ranks high in the value department, but Cleveland's team success isn't significant enough to warrant LeBron winning. KG's presence transformed the Celtics, but it certainly helps that he has All-Star security blankets Paul Pierce and Ray Allen.

But, if recent MVP races are any indication, politics will win again.

So congrats, Kobe.

wccyok.jpg

Obviously Kobe has matured, but he's a better teammate primarily because he's got a fellow All-Star in Paul Gasol, a deeper, more skilled bench, and an emerging star in Andrew Bynum. Teamwork becomes much easier when your teammates can actually do something with the ball.
Paul is carrying a bunch of scrubs in that hornets team and have been inujry plagued all year
smh.gif

Paul for MVP

eyes.gif

Pau was not an all star this year but David West was...plus Pau and Bynum have not been in like 40+ laker games

Kobe hater acting like she is a fan
disgusting
sick.gif

I don't even care any more either way.

If kobe or Paul wins I am ok either way.

If either Kobe or Paul wins I will be happy. You can't act like Kobe had all this help that Paul didn't have though because 1. Pau wasn't there allyear 2. Bynum missed a bunch of time with this injury 3. Pau has been out a good bit as well 4. CP also has Chandler, Peja, and West on his team who aren'texactly scrubs.

That being said Paul is very deserving as well IMO.

I can't believe I'm typing this, but I agree with her 100%.

Malone definitely got that award b/c they were tired of giving it to Mike.

Nash having two MVP's to Shaq and Hiss' COMBINED total of 1 is absurd in itself.

And I also agree that players like LBJ and CP3 get the "they have plenty of time to win it" line thrown at them too often.

Her argument is largely based on IF Dirty Snake wins the award. And at this point, I agree that he doesn't deserve it over KG or CP.

But like she said, I can see them giving it to Snake because "it's his time".
smh.gif

Well the MVP award will always have controversy each and every year just like Nowitski just got his a week before they were knocked out in the first round.If NO has the best record, Paul "by definition" should win. I still do not believe if the Lakers are a game behind in the loss column at the end ofthe season why Kobe still shouldn't win. Kobe has had to deal with a lot of adjustments with Pau and Bynum in and out of the line-up and this has been hisbest year post-Shaq era. I still think Kobe is a very strong candidate. Also people have put Pierce and Garnett in the mix and they should also be up there aswell. A 40-game difference has to mean something to the NBA and they do have the BEST record in the NBA so Garnett's presence or even Pierce'srejuvination has to heard somewhere. So b/w Bryant, Paul, Garnett, Pierce, and even T-Mac are the only candidates I think the NBA should be satisfied with.

what makes her think Kobe would get it if NO finished first?

SHE is the one assuming that... everyone else pretty much figures that whoever's team finishes first will get it.

Originally Posted by SHUGES

I can't believe I'm typing this, but I agree with her 100%.

Malone definitely got that award b/c they were tired of giving it to Mike.

Nash having two MVP's to Shaq and Hiss' COMBINED total of 1 is absurd in itself.

And I also agree that players like LBJ and CP3 get the "they have plenty of time to win it" line thrown at them too often.

Her argument is largely based on IF [Kobe] wins the award. And at this point, I agree that he doesn't deserve it over KG or CP.

But like she said, I can see them giving it to [Kobe] because "it's his time".
smh.gif

Very well put, Shuges.
I think J. Hill is an absolute fool, but...*gulp* I agree with her on this one. CP needs to be the MVP this year, especially ifthe Hornets finish tops in the West.

Originally Posted by DOWNTOWN43

what makes her think Kobe would get it if NO finished first?

SHE is the one assuming that... everyone else pretty much figures that whoever's team finishes first will get it.

doesnt matter who first, basically gotta be in the top 3 teams.

I don't think they would give it to Kobe right now...imo its gotta be Paul because the hornets are winning more and he is having as good of a season asKobe individually

Really though 2 MVPs for Nash?
What a freakin joke.

Anyway, if they want the MVP to have any cred., they need to change it back to the players vote and note the media's vote.
We all know the media is very biased, word to Kobe getting 22 1st place votes and not even finishing in the Top 3

indifferent.gif
What a pathetic display of journalism. She's alreadytrying to discredit Kobe's award before he's even won it. So basically if Kobe wins the award it's not because he earned it, it's because itwas handed to him somehow. How pathetic is that. Just say it, I don't like Kobe and I'm gonna campaign against him. That would save a lot of timefrom writing all that garbage.

Chris Paul definitely deserves a part of the award, but the arguments she makes are horrendously bad. Chris Paul has another all star on his team, Kobe doesnot. Andrew Bynum hasn't even played a game in over 3 months. Gasol is obviously a huge asset but he didn't join the team until mid February andhe's also been injured. Bynum and Gasol have yet to even play on the same court together. So to act like Kobe has this all star cast around him whilePaul has nothing is absurd.

Like others if NO finishes first than CP3 should win it and Kobe if the Lakers finish first. But ever since Nash won those 2 MVPs I haven't taken the awardseriously.

Back
Top Bottom