Job hunting is more challenging than getting the actual degree Vol. Jobs/ Experience

Originally Posted by gregbutler20

I will have my BS in information systems  in about 2 weeks. Everyone keeps patting me on the back and saying cheer up (I'm only the second person in my imediate family to have a degree), but It's hard to do so when everytime I go to look for jobs I keep seeing the word EXPERIENCE, x amount of years worth and skill sets that don't quite match mine. I had to work full time and go to school full time in order to take care of me and my daughter (no time for an internship) and I currently have work, but it feels like I am in the same place that I was in before I earned my degree. I'm going to talk with the career center from my school, and I received some advice from a manager in the field to try contract work or to get an A+ or network + cert. I'm not an idiot and I developed an asp project from scratch, front end and back end, and have a 3.2 GPA (not the highest, but certainly not the lowest).

I'm going to keep trying until I get in somewhere, but it's frustrating when people without degrees or real experience (like my cousin) get IT jobs, but I get the experience stone wall. Oh well, my determination won't let me quit, so I'm going to continue chasing leads tomorrow. Anybody else in this position? And to those that have been here, what did you do to get break in to your career field?

I just graduated with a BBA in Computer Info Systems. I`ll tell you know, with just the degree your only going to be able to get like a Help Desk Job if even that. The way our major is set up is that it shows us the various avenues out there when it comes to IT, you should find 1-2 maybe 3 areas, to specialize in fully. Get a job that will be able to support you getting Certifications, Upper Level degree, etc.  You not going to find a real gig off rip straight up especially with no internships cause pretty much thats what "Entry LEvel" jobs are nowadays. I say u try and persue some certs, while doing side projects to sharpen your skills in specific things, and seek a Masters Degree, that will allow you to apply for the many MBA Intern programs that are out there.

I will have my BS in information systems  in about 2 weeks. Everyone keeps patting me on the back and saying cheer up (I'm only the second person in my imediate family to have a degree), but It's hard to do so when everytime I go to look for jobs I keep seeing the word EXPERIENCE, x amount of years worth and skill sets that don't quite match mine. I had to work full time and go to school full time in order to take care of me and my daughter (no time for an internship) and I currently have work, but it feels like I am in the same place that I was in before I earned my degree. I'm going to talk with the career center from my school, and I received some advice from a manager in the field to try contract work or to get an A+ or network + cert. I'm not an idiot and I developed an asp project from scratch, front end and back end, and have a 3.2 GPA (not the highest, but certainly not the lowest).

I'm going to keep trying until I get in somewhere, but it's frustrating when people without degrees or real experience (like my cousin) get IT jobs, but I get the experience stone wall. Oh well, my determination won't let me quit, so I'm going to continue chasing leads tomorrow. Anybody else in this position? And to those that have been here, what did you do to get break in to your career field?

I just graduated with a BBA in Computer Info Systems. I`ll tell you know, with just the degree your only going to be able to get like a Help Desk Job if even that. The way our major is set up is that it shows us the various avenues out there when it comes to IT, you should find 1-2 maybe 3 areas, to specialize in fully. Get a job that will be able to support you getting Certifications, Upper Level degree, etc.  You not going to find a real gig off rip straight up especially with no internships cause pretty much thats what "Entry LEvel" jobs are nowadays. I say u try and persue some certs, while doing side projects to sharpen your skills in specific things, and seek a Masters Degree, that will allow you to apply for the many MBA Intern programs that are out there.

yo all the NT'ers fresh out of school or even if your just looking for a job, check this site out

Degrees of Transition

Real talk, this got my interview skills on point and gives great tid bits of info trying to make that transition into working full time

Really opened my eyes to what it takes

yo all the NT'ers fresh out of school or even if your just looking for a job, check this site out

Degrees of Transition

Real talk, this got my interview skills on point and gives great tid bits of info trying to make that transition into working full time

Really opened my eyes to what it takes

Anybody gettin the "overqualified" tag

I tried to apply at a department store that just opened and I got the ax just based on my resume

I tried to apply at a department store that just opened and I got the ax just based on my resume

Dope thread. I just graduated last with a BS in IT. Ive just been talking the A.I. approach with these job apps. They keep yelling experience tho and im like 
indifferent.gif
. Im definitely thinking about pursuing a Master's degree now, I just don't know if I want to go the MBA route or stick with IT. 

Dope thread. I just graduated last with a BS in IT. Ive just been talking the A.I. approach with these job apps. They keep yelling experience tho and im like 
indifferent.gif
. Im definitely thinking about pursuing a Master's degree now, I just don't know if I want to go the MBA route or stick with IT. 

Originally Posted by bjamez20

i've applied for like 60+ jobs in the last few months and havent heard back from a single one. really frustrating..

Same. One interview. For an internship. Killed the interview, had the interviewers singing my praises....and didn't get the job. Really disappointing, but I can't quit.

Originally Posted by bjamez20

i've applied for like 60+ jobs in the last few months and havent heard back from a single one. really frustrating..

Same. One interview. For an internship. Killed the interview, had the interviewers singing my praises....and didn't get the job. Really disappointing, but I can't quit.

Originally Posted by xbiker47

Originally Posted by BgL2687

knowing the right person is key.

Its not what you know but who you know
I always go out my way to network with people and exchange emails if possible... I always get the "when your looking for something let me know" talk so I know I at least have someone in the field I'm going into.  Even if half of it is BS talk I know at least a few should be good.

Originally Posted by xbiker47

Originally Posted by BgL2687

knowing the right person is key.

Its not what you know but who you know
I always go out my way to network with people and exchange emails if possible... I always get the "when your looking for something let me know" talk so I know I at least have someone in the field I'm going into.  Even if half of it is BS talk I know at least a few should be good.

Its more about who you know than what you know. I have learned this the hard way. I graduated in december of 2010 and I still can't find a job. Networking is key, the more people you network with, the more chances your gonna have finding employment. I made the mistake of not networking like I should have while in college and it has set me back smh...

Its more about who you know than what you know. I have learned this the hard way. I graduated in december of 2010 and I still can't find a job. Networking is key, the more people you network with, the more chances your gonna have finding employment. I made the mistake of not networking like I should have while in college and it has set me back smh...

also a bachelor's degree is the new high school diploma. You might want to think about grad school. I'll probably start this fall...

also a bachelor's degree is the new high school diploma. You might want to think about grad school. I'll probably start this fall...

Originally Posted by GUILLERMO GUTIEREZ

lol I've gotten that as well. I think employers feel that we will leave as soon as we find a "real" job, which is true, so I understand it lol

Originally Posted by GUILLERMO GUTIEREZ

lol I've gotten that as well. I think employers feel that we will leave as soon as we find a "real" job, which is true, so I understand it lol

It's hard to do so when everytime I go to look for jobs I keep seeing the word EXPERIENCE, x amount of years worth and skill sets that don't quite match mine.
its so stupid 
from min wage jobs to jobs with degrees

like somebody said, its who you know.

It's hard to do so when everytime I go to look for jobs I keep seeing the word EXPERIENCE, x amount of years worth and skill sets that don't quite match mine.
its so stupid 
from min wage jobs to jobs with degrees

like somebody said, its who you know.

**@# is a conundrom.

Can't get a job cuz i don't have experience, can't get experience cuz I don't have a job.

**@# is a conundrom.

Can't get a job cuz i don't have experience, can't get experience cuz I don't have a job.

Back
Top Bottom