Jordan Retro Card Art Project.... For Under $50!

Hopefully you guys don't tear me to shreads here haha, but last year when my fiance & I moved into our new apartment, one of the deals was I was to have a little Computer/office section ... So i decided to get some Jordan art.... looking online I saw alot of the same old options OR it was a little to pricey for me so I opted to get a little creative & create some art.

Now first off I wanted to actually get Real Retro Cards from sneakers, I had some on hand but people were trying to gouge on prices to actually get all of the ones I wanted, so I popped around the internet & compiled all of the shots in JPG form from 1-13 ( My personal Favorites )
if you can get your hands on all the genuine cards AWESOME , please don't flame for making replicas for this. The idea of the project was to make something cool (all in) under $50!

Next up was how I was going to get it all put together without looking like total crap... So I decided to go with Parquet flooring graphics (easily found on Google image search ) & the more high resolution the better!
I was going for a simulated "arena floor" with the Retro cards scattered around the "floor" with a Parquet jumpman in the center... Looking back a year later i should have REVERSED it and made the Jumpman Black with a Parquet background but version 2.0 is coming soon
wink.gif

Last was a cheap frame.... I'm Lucky enough to have a "Christmas Tree Shop" near my apt, (for those that don't know, its NOT an xmas store) just a place that sells random stuff SUPER cheap!  I was able to score a black frame for like 14.99 my only issue with it was that the "glass" on it was actually cheap Plexiglass that has TONS of flex (will be addressed in 2.0) & luckily it came with a white border that was simple enough to measure & trim.

After I got all of the items together I went down with my Graphics on a CD to my local Target/Walgreens wherever (actually got a bunch of free print codes from slickdeals.net) so i could print up all the pieces & put them together.

I'm in my office now but tonight I'll go through my harddrive for all of the building shots

Now my beef with version 1.0 was

1. The Parquet Floor was nice BUT the jumpman looked out of place (will be fixed with 2.0)
2. The Retrocards didn't really all fit, a few didn't make it into the project (will be mapped & measured in Adobe before placing/printing)
3. The Frame... I got what I paid for.. The plexi ended up flexing my white border & didnt support it, so for 2.0 I'm going to hit up IKEA for a cheap But little better quality GLASS Frame with the same Black border!

So 2.0 Will HOPEFULLY stay under the $50 cap!

I'll be posting up Step by Step shots so if Anyone wants to do this also they can!

Flickr is blocked in my office but here is a quick shot I snapped off my phone last night of Version 1.0!

Will be updated Regularly if there is Interest!
pimp.gif

That's a neat idea.

I like the design but not the layout though - they're just kind of in there - they could be arrange better.

Originally Posted by kdawg

That's a neat idea.

I like the design but not the layout though - they're just kind of in there - they could be arrange better.

I agree, i was THINKING of doing like a position chart like players on a court, but it depends on the size of the frame i can get.
Too large & it drives up the cost of the project but I think this is where i made my mistake the first time.

I did my PRINTING before I got the final frame. This time around I'm going to print according to my frame so I can
1. fit them all in & 2. do like you said & position them a little better
pimp.gif

That's really cool. I don't really use my boxes or anything all my shoes are out on wall racks but I always wanted to make like a poster or something with the retro cards

Back
Top Bottom