Kids as Young as 4 Find Safe Space at Transgender Day Camp

Just gotta make sure these kids also have enough interaction and understanding of " regular " society while growing up and they should be ok ....can't shield and keep em in their own group forever

It is so weird reading the comments in here, especially the "I'm liberal, I'm for equal rights , but....."

First off, are these parents going a bit too much, probably. Affluent people with money, not just liberals, spend their money on weird stuff for their kids. Especially summer camps.

Secondly, if we work under the assumption that kids have no real idea what is going on at that age, what is the harm in this, where is the confusion? These kids will grow up, live their lives how they want and have a story of their parents sending then to this camp. So what.

It just seems like a dog whistle to say transgender people are just confused, so let us not confuse these kids or else they might become transgender.

It is just parents spending their money on **** for their kids. But the door is now cracked open for this thread to devolve into a buffoon-a-ton where dudes claim they sick are tired of this forces down their throats, make bigoted comments about the transgender community, and casually make arguments that suppressing he civil rights of transgender people is what is best for society.

Kinda like every other thread regarding transgender people on NT.

Parents are sending their kids to a unique summer camp. I think it is a kinda pointless, but hey, I don't see the harm.

So lemme cook.

First - is a transgender not someone who has actually made the transition? If so, how are we calling young children transgender children? That defies the definition of the word.

Secondly, after reading your post and thinking about it I've changed my stance.

If you want to send your child to a day camp to be around other people who also defy typical gender roles who typically don't fit in with the general population then mazeltov. I wasn't really seeing it from the child's perspective.

I think labeling the camp and the children that attend it "transgender" is wrong. They haven't transitioned, they aren't even aware of the concept of transitioning, nor are they aware of gender roles/identity and they shouldn't have to be. I'm sure many of these children won't actually make the transition nor identify as transgender so I think it's wrong to tell children who haven't even developed romantic feelings for ANY gender/sex yet that they're this or that will confuse them.

Just like the many homosexuals who were raised with their parents pushing them down the path of heterosexuality and wind up confused and unsure of what they should or shouldn't be feeling. You also run the risk of doing the same by asking children "So what do you identify as? A boy or a girl? Do you like dresses or jeans more? etc etc". You're presenting them with options they didn't even know they had and them being children, they'll run with whatever they're feeling at the time which AT 4 YEARS OLD probably isn't indicative of what they'll be feeling or who they'll be in 15 years.

So in my opinion, support your child, nurture your child, let them flow to whatever side of the spectrum(s) they want WHEN they're ready and they show you they're ready.

I wouldn't psychoanalyze my son if he one day decided he was gonna play with barbies instead of power rangers. I'm gonna let him do him because he's a child who hasn't a clue about how the world works outside of chicken nuggets and cartoons.

I got a 5 year old and kids do be crushing. He loves white/foreign girls and is in love with a lil Albanian girl in his class. Dude hit me for a dollar for chips everyday, their 50 cent a bag, 1 for him and 1 for her.

Ya'll don't give children enough credit. They are VERY aware at this age. Never at any point in your life does cognitive growth and development happen at as rapid a pace as in your early childhood.

As for this camp...I'm going to keep my opinion to myself.

its all fun, games and safe spaces until kids start committing suicide in the 2020's bc their Parents played dress up or tried to give them too many options at too young an age and those pics are lobbed bakc onto their timelines to be roasted

outside of sneakers, if it wasnt something like a power ranger shirt or something i had little input or care as to what i was wearing at age 4,5,6

you're giving kids options they didnt know they had and options they shouldnt be worried about at such a young age

What the hell did I just read. Smh

giphy.gif

What the hell did I just read. Smh

is that not a legitimate possibility? for someone to be made fun of a decade from now because their parents went and bought them dresses and enrolled them in "genderless camp" because they were just being a kid and saying the first thing that comes to mind?

not even considering how it might affect their dating life.

this conversation of gender roles shouldnt even be a thing with kids until theyre old enough to understand how it affects their perception in society which IMO is around high school.

you're gonna say "well thats what you asked for" as a 4 year old when theyre mad @ you for having pics of them in dresses and **** floating around lol

is that not a legitimate possibility? for someone to be made fun of a decade from now because their parents went and bought them dresses and enrolled them in "genderless camp" because they were just being a kid and saying the first thing that comes to mind?

Please go read your post, because this is not what you claimed.

You said that their parents decision to send to this camp will result their suicide.

So no, nothing about your post reads like a legitimate possibility.

And if these kids get made fun of to the point of committing suicide over what camp they went too when they were 4. I would blame the bullies that would torment a person over that, instead of the parents.

Y'all dudes doing mental gymnastics to past off your guys dislike for the transgender community as reasonable concern. Sorry, not buying it.

Would like to have an adult discussion on how these buzz topics aren't mental illnesses.

Impossible. You can keep it PC as possible and attempt to have a legit adult discussion...but they will force the bigot and homophobic label on you regardless.

Please go read your post, because this is not what you claimed.

You said that their parents decision to send to this camp will result their suicide.

So no, nothing about your post reads like a legitimate possibility.

And if these kids get made fun of to the point of committing suicide over what camp they went too when they were 4. I would blame the bullies that would torment a person over that, instead of the parents.

Y'all dudes doing mental gymnastics to past off your guys dislike for the transgender community as reasonable concern. Sorry, not buying it.

its a possibility. for example that celeb who had his son in a harley quinn outfit w stockings couldnt possibly lead to him being bullied or made fun of in a decade?

even if that extreme result doesnt happen, you still possibly set them up for depression and confusion throughout their life because you're putting too much stock into what a kid just saying silly **** is saying.

alternatively that ***** could grow up and love wearing dresses but I think it's a conversation that shouldnt even be entertained as young as 4-6 and probably not until they're at the high school
age where theyre aware of how their peers are possibly going to react and for them to make that decision if they're okay with it.

So your argument hinges on what is possible, not what is probably. You seem to have to two mixed up. Because relying on what is possible makes your argument extremely filmsy.

Like.....

It is also possible none of that **** you mentioned happens

It is also possible that camps like these make kids more tolerant in the future.

You see, anything is "possible". You have not put forward a convincing argument to why it will be a probably outcome for most of these campers.

So excuse me if I do to entertain this world you have imagine where these camps lead to suicides. And the only defense of such conjecture is that "Hey it is possible"

Sorry famb, nah. Just nah

its all fun, games and safe spaces until kids start committing suicide in the 2020's bc their Parents played dress up or tried to give them too many options at too young an age and those pics are lobbed bakc onto their timelines to be

This is *** backwards

Suicide rates are already disproportionately high among trans people and it's not because they were encouraged to be themselves as children

im just saying youre setting them up for uncomfortable social situations before they know what they are really asking for.

suicide was an extreme example to start with and im sure is what will be focused on from this point out but even if it just leads to depression, confusion and complication in their dating life that could have all been avoided if you just waited until they were cognizant of what exactly theyre signing up for by walking around as a male in a dress (if thats even something they legitimately want to do).

Impossible. You can keep it PC as possible and attempt to have a legit adult discussion...but they will force the bigot and homophobic label on you regardless.

Let's not pretend that calls for a "legit adult discussion" or an "open and honest discussion" aren't frequently veiled attempts for one side of the discussion to spout prejudice without being challenged

its a possibility. for example that celeb who had his son in a harley quinn outfit w stockings couldnt possibly lead to him being bullied or made fun of in a decade?

even if that extreme result doesnt happen, you still possibly set them up for depression and confusion throughout their life because you're putting too much stock into what a kid just saying silly **** is saying.

alternatively that ***** could grow up and love wearing dresses but I think it's a conversation that shouldnt even be entertained as young as 4-6 and probably not until they're at the high school
age where theyre aware of how their peers are possibly going to react and for them to make that decision if they're okay with it.

Wild thing about this, if more people would mind their business and teach their kids to do the same they wouldn't eem have to worry about all that.

I say this to say if my son wanted to wear a dress that ***** better be able to afford if cuz I'm not goin for it. My daughter don't eem dress like a girl :lol:

I dont get it...

How does a child at 4 or 5yrs old wanna be trans or gender fluid (whatever that means)? When i was that age i was tryna watch TMNT, Power Rangers and have pizza and candy for dinner every night.

parent indoctrination.

Let's not pretend that calls for a "legit adult discussion" or an "open and honest discussion" aren't frequently veiled attempts for one side of the discussion to spout prejudice without being challenged

Perhaps...but let's also not pretend that many can't fathom the idea of separating the scientific aspect of this topic from making it about the people themselves.

It's possible to believe in humanity and equality for all...and it is possible to have prejudices while still believing that everyone deserves to be free and not have ANYTHING unavailable to them based on their sexuality/gender. Whatever I may have to say about this camp...I'm not protesting their right to have a camp or for anyone to send their children to those camps.

These days, I try to restrict my commentary on lgbt issues to science and science only...and that's hard to do because 9/10 it'll still become about the person.

Back
Top Bottom