Kobe Bryant wins 2007-2008 NBA MVP

Bout time, a much deserved accomplishment for Kobe. Congrats to you, Kobe! CP3 is a great player, and he will surely get his share of MVPS in the future, alongwith Lebron. But after several years of being the best player in the league, Kobe finally wins a MVP
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

Now, the more important trophy will be his next goal, the Larry O' Brien trophy
smokin.gif
'

Originally Posted by Flowsomuch

Congrats Kobe.

Well deserved. But the MVP don't mean crap.

There's only one thing that matters in my opinion.

Larry_obrien_championship.jpg

A Championship > MVP all day every day.

Your damn right !
Ask LT and he will tell you the same thing.

Originally Posted by DOWNTOWN43

how did Paul get robbed?

if he wanted MVP he should have won the West.

maybe he shouldn't have lost 4 of their last 6 games in the middle of the tightest playoff race ever.
maybe he shouldn't have gotten outplayed by Deron Williams and had more than 4 points on his home court.
maybe he shouldn't have lost to the Kings, a MUCH inferior team, instead of winning and getting the #1 seed.
just maybe.

this race was extremely close up until the end of March, but Paul's individual and team performance dipped and he made the decision a lot easier from there.

there should be no complaints from CP3 fans, it's undeniable that he was clearly beaten out for the award down the stretch

Kobe deserves the "Lifetime Achievement Award", but Paul deserves the MVP for the 07-08 season..... let me explain....

I'll say a couple things, first, like I said, Kobe needs to have an MVP before he retires, he is still in my opinion the best player in the L rightnow....

But that being said his MVP should have come the year Nash won his second and he avg. what, 36 points? And WILLED that awful
sick.gif
Lakers team into the playoffs, and ALMOST beat the Suns. That was the year heshould have gotten his, and everyone agrees, that year HE got robbed.

But this year Chris Paul threw the Hornets on his back, surprised everyone throughout the season by keeping them on top of the West, made Chandler all-starcaliber, helped get D. West into the game, made Peja relevant again, and overall did the sort of thing Nash did his first MVP year by him ALONE making his teambetter, and in my opinion being the player, that if you took off the team, would create the biggest win/loss difference in the League.

Thats how I judge MVP, who creates the biggest win/loss difference if they aren't there.

The last thing I'll say is saying "why didn't Paul win the west if he wanted it" is a bit unfair when you compare the individual talent onthe two teams. LA has a bunch more of individual talent on that team with Gasol, LO, Bynum, Radman, and the young bench, than the Hornets with the next bestplayers being West, then Peja, and then I guess....Mo Pete? What I see is without Paul just how AWFUL that team would be.

But, if its true, and Kobe did win it, then I applaud him, cause like I said, he deserves an MVP before he retires, and he already got ripped once. Its just Iwould rather see Paul, cause what he did this season was out of control, one of 8 amazing players to pull off 20-10, let alone his defense. But hey, Kobe needsone, and CP is young, so he likely will get one yet.

Originally Posted by Roscoe P Wallace

Originally Posted by DOWNTOWN43

how did Paul get robbed?

if he wanted MVP he should have won the West.

maybe he shouldn't have lost 4 of their last 6 games in the middle of the tightest playoff race ever.
maybe he shouldn't have gotten outplayed by Deron Williams and had more than 4 points on his home court.
maybe he shouldn't have lost to the Kings, a MUCH inferior team, instead of winning and getting the #1 seed.
just maybe.

this race was extremely close up until the end of March, but Paul's individual and team performance dipped and he made the decision a lot easier from there.

there should be no complaints from CP3 fans, it's undeniable that he was clearly beaten out for the award down the stretch

Kobe deserves the "Lifetime Achievement Award", but Paul deserves the MVP for the 07-08 season..... let me explain....

I'll say a couple things, first, like I said, Kobe needs to have an MVP before he retires, he is still in my opinion the best player in the L right now....

But that being said his MVP should have come the year Nash won his second and he avg. what, 36 points? And WILLED that awful
sick.gif
Lakers team into the playoffs, and ALMOST beat the Suns. That was the year he should have gotten his, and everyone agrees, that year HE got robbed.

But this year Chris Paul threw the Hornets on his back, surprised everyone throughout the season by keeping them on top of the West, made Chandler all-star caliber, helped get D. West into the game, made Peja relevant again, and overall did the sort of thing Nash did his first MVP year by him ALONE making his team better, and in my opinion being the player, that if you took off the team, would create the biggest win/loss difference in the League.

Thats how I judge MVP, who creates the biggest win/loss difference if they aren't there.

The last thing I'll say is saying "why didn't Paul win the west if he wanted it" is a bit unfair when you compare the individual talent on the two teams. LA has a bunch more of individual talent on that team with Gasol, LO, Bynum, Radman, and the young bench, than the Hornets with the next best players being West, then Peja, and then I guess....Mo Pete? What I see is without Paul just how AWFUL that team would be.

But, if its true, and Kobe did win it, then I applaud him, cause like I said, he deserves an MVP before he retires, and he already got ripped once. Its just I would rather see Paul, cause what he did this season was out of control, one of 8 amazing players to pull off 20-10, let alone his defense. But hey, Kobe needs one, and CP is young, so he likely will get one yet.

Using the "Lifetime Achievement Award" excuse for why he won the MVP award this year is just stupid.
First off look at what he has had tobattle through this season alone.Andrew Bynum has been injured since January 13, 2008.That's more than half of the regular season.Kobe had to adjust tothat setback.Then the Lakers made the trade at mid season and Kobe had to adjust.After that Trevor Ariza got injured.Also do people forget because Kobe isplaying so great right now that the man is basicaly playing with 9 fingers and that he has ligament damage on his shooting hand pinkie finger, where he choosedto play through the pain and put off off season surgery until after the olympic game this summer.

Bottom line is this.Through all of the obstacles and setbacks the Lakers had this season Kobe still lead the Lakers to the # 1 seed in the Western Conferencethis year.

Congrats to Kobe. He deserves it. I didn't think he would get it, but I'm happy for him.

About damn time, i cant agree with anyone who thinks this is the first year he is deserving of the award. MVP = Most Valuable Player. There are a lot of extraspeople like to throw on there, an asterisks if you will, IE: Best player on a winning team, or #1 seed, etc.. The award truly has been a joke for a long timeIMO and I know there are others on the board who feel the same way. Kobe should have had Nash's 2nd trophy as well as Dirk's from last year. Take himoff either of those teams and they are probably the worst team in the whole league, even making it to the playoffs was a huge accomplishment those years.

anyways, moving on Chris Paul and Lebron James both had HUGE years, Lebron's numbers this year were amazing and again, the fact that his team didnt have abetter record took him out of the race (we all know at the end it was CP3 vs. KB24) is a joke. Very soon now he is obviously going to take over the league andwill end up winning a bunch of MVP awards im sure, somewhere in there Chris Paul will no doubt win 1 or 2 as well. KG is up there too, but he would havefinished behind all 3 of those guys in my poll.

This year however was simply Kobe's year and rightfully so. It took a long time for a lot of people to get over the Colorado case meanwhile everyone knowsthe dude is the best in the league and he is finishing behind PJ Brown in the MVP race. Ridiculous. Anyways, Cant wait to see his reaction. Unfortunately, theLakers might have some problems with Utah in the playoffs the next round. I personally hope not but it should be a good series.

Originally Posted by Kidskillz858

Using the "Lifetime Achievement Award" excuse for why he won the MVP award this year is just stupid.First off look at what he has had to battle through this season alone.Andrew Bynum has been injured since January 13, 2008.That's more than half of the regular season.Kobe had to adjust to that setback.Then the Lakers made the trade at mid season and Kobe had to adjust.After that Trevor Ariza got injured.Also do people forget because Kobe is playing so great right now that the man is basicaly playing with 9 fingers and that he has ligament damage on his shooting hand pinkie finger, where he choosed to play through the pain and put off off season surgery until after the olympic game this summer.

Bottom line is this.Through all of the obstacles and setbacks the Lakers had this season Kobe still lead the Lakers to the # 1 seed in the Western Conference this year.

I'm not saying that as an "excuse", I didn't make excuses, Kobe won, and he had an amazing year, and finished First in what is theclosest (aka best) Western Conference in however long anyone can remember.

All I am expressing is my opinion that a player that I really like, and have followed since college (CP), had what might end up being his best season ever (nowI DOUBT this, I am simply saying, it could end up being his best year, say he gets hurt, or just 'loses it' like some very good players before him),and essentially carried his dookie team to a top seed for the majority of the season, and he isn't going to win an MVP because Kobe's team finishedwith a better record.

And finally, I understand adjusting to the injuries of himself and other, but I WILL NOT buy that Kobe had to "adjust" to losing Kwame Brown in placeof Pau Gasol. Thats like having to adjust to winning the lottery.... boo friggen hoo. No way Kobe showed up for practice that first day and was like"Damn.... this sucks.... now I gotta adjust to having a talented 7 footer instead of good ol' Kwame".

But the end of the day, Paul will likely continue to be good, Kobe had a top seed, and it will all probably work out.

So here, to avoid further lambasting from Lakers fans......
pimp.gif
to Kobe,cause he did deserve it .................(but so did Chris Paul....... a tiny bit more
happy.gif
)

Congrats Kobe you finally got one. CP3 will definitely get one and it will be soon, he had an amazing season. I guess my SN is invalid now SMH.

Can't wait to tape him receiving the award..... damn finally no one can throw that low blow in the Kobe arguments.

Back
Top Bottom