**LA LAKERS THREAD** Sitting on 17! 2023-2024 offseason begins

aihWHH.gif

It's cool to be focused on next summer and I get that the Lakers are, but I think it's proven that it's really hard to attract meetings, let alone sign Big Time free agents if you're bad. That'd be my only concern moving forward. But with Magic in the fold, perhaps it'll be different.

It's the same thing the old regime got killed for. Punting the season except this time with no intent to secure a pick, bringing in one year guys and chasing tomorrow's free agents. But they get the benefit of the doubt because they haven't struck out yet

I know people are going to kill me for this, but am I the only one who thinks we should keep Deng until at least 2018 if it requires us to attach an asset to it?  I'd rather wait it out and see what happens with 2018 free agency then trading away more talent.  If we strike out, then we keep deng until 2019 and we have a nice expiring contract we can trade to teams and it become a trade asset.

I can still dislike the trade and like the draft. It's not mutually exclusive.

Would imagine they can't have Deng on the payroll next year if they go after Bron & PG. He's likely to get stretched once the season is over.

Idk if I'm alone in this but I see them trading Ingram next summer to find another star to pair with Lonzo, PG and Bron. That's the end game I see. They could pair Deng with Ingram to get rid of Deng's contract.

Last edited:
We can have $70 mill or so in cap space next summer if we trade him, right?

That's huge
Yeah around there depending on the cap.  I'm just not all sure who they would sign with it other than PG and maybe lebron.  Westbrook will have to take like a $70M paycut to come here so I dont see that happening.  I'd rather they would wait, see what happens, and stretch his deal if need be.  

I know people are going to kill me for this, but am I the only one who thinks we should keep Deng until at least 2018 if it requires us to attach an asset to it?  I'd rather wait it out and see what happens with 2018 free agency then trading away more talent.  If we strike out, then we keep deng until 2019 and we have a nice expiring contract we can trade to teams and it become a trade asset.

Although I wasn't as mad about the Dlo trade as some others but this was the main issue with it: we could have made that trade at any time! I'd rather have the big name FAs sign and then figure out the logistics like moving bad contracts than move a player like Dlo in the hopes of creating cap space for players that might never come. If PG and another max player don't sign that trade is gonna look really stupid. I 100% think we should wait on trading Deng if it means losing a young core player until we are sure we're signing someone else.

I can still dislike the trade and like the draft. It's not mutually exclusive.

Would imagine they can't have Deng on the payroll next year if they go after Bron & PG. He's likely to get stretched once the season is over.

Idk if I'm alone in this but I see them trading Ingram next summer to find another star to pair with Lonzo, PG and Bron. That's the end game I see. They could pair Deng with Ingram to get rid of Deng's contract.
I think it depends on how Ingram shows out.  You would think they would have to realize that even if lebron comes here, he probably only has a good 2 or 3 years left in him.  Even if he does, at the rate he switches teams he likely wouldnt be here more than 3-4 years anyways.

Although I wasn't as mad about the Dlo trade as some others but this was the main issue with it: we could have made that trade at any time! I'd rather have the big name FAs sign and then figure out the logistics like moving bad contracts than move a player like Dlo in the hopes of creating cap space for players that might never come. If PG and another max player don't sign that trade is gonna look really stupid. I 100% think we should wait on trading Deng if it means losing a young core player until we are sure we're signing someone else.
Well that's what im kind of getting at here.  If 2018 comes, we get Paul George (which would be an absolute win!) then we dont really get any other big name, then there really wasnt a point to the trade.  We could have kept Moz through 2018 and in 2019 he would have been a trade asset due to his expiring and we could have used that to get stuff to pair with george and the rest of the core.

At this point im hoping we didn't do it just for the sake of clearing space to potentially get meetings again.  I'm just hoping Magic knows something about FA's coming here that we dont. 

Bron Bron Coming yall. Magic made the wink.

I'm lowkey kidding but Lonzo and Lebron is really the **** dreams are made of :lol:

I'm just hoping Magic knows something about FA's coming here that we dont. 

This is the only thing that makes any kind of sense. Because otherwise how is this approach any different than the old regime which these guys were brought in to be better than?

It's the same thing the old regime got killed for. Punting the season except this time with no intent to secure a pick, bringing in one year guys and chasing tomorrow's free agents. But they get the benefit of the doubt because they haven't struck out yet

Wrong once again :lol:

The old regime Mitch & Jim lost their jobs because of the following:

-Idiotic coaching hires in: Mike Brown, Mike D'Antoni, Byron Scott.
-Failing to bring in superstars like: Melo, Lebron, KD, Alridge, and having Dwight leave.
-Giving Mozgove & Deng those horrible contracts.
-Not getting the Boogie trade done.

With Magic & Pelinka in place the Lakers once again becomes a desirable place for big name free agents to sign with the Lakers.

PG13 for sure is coming weather it's through a trade or he signs with us as a free agent next summer. Adding another superstar shouldn't be to be hard with the rest of the cap space they have and with the current young core in place.

Last edited:
I think Lonzo, BI and Randle could be special. Add PG-13 to that and some quality shooters and role players next summer

Last edited:

-Failing to bring in superstars like: Melo, Lebron, KD, Alridge, and having Dwight leave.

With Magic & Pelinka in place the Lakers once again becomes a desirable place for big name free agents to sign with the Lakers.

PG13 for sure is coming weather it's through a trade or he signs with us as a free agent next summer. Adding another superstar shouldn't be to be hard with the rest of the cap space they have and with the current young core in place.

Add to that we got nothing for Pau then desperately tried to resign him and he embarrassed us by taking a worse deal.

Plus th behind the scenes crap like no transparency between basketball Operations and Business Ops

the team in no way should add another asset just to offload dengs deal. 

come summer 2018, his deal is a little easier to move.or you hold onto him til his lastv year then try to swing something.  worst case you stretch out the deal. 

The list goes on and one about Jim and Mitch's mess ups over the last few years. TBH, I wouldn't be that mad but the Deng and Mozgov trades make everything inexcusable. Why would they sign those guys?!

Back
Top Bottom