LAKERS OFFICIAL END OF SEASON THREAD: IT WAS FUN! THANKS FOR THE RUN LAKERS! LAKER FANS STAND UP!

The early season for LA looks blah. Lamar will not play tonight (11/2/07) against the Suns and the space cadet is a ?
Bynum is still in his teddy bear persona and won't be beasting. You can't teach killer instinct and this kid doesn't have it. Somebody do something please. I don't like being in the cellar.

COOK # 45
get fit.

You got to love being a Lakers fan right now
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by Fede DPT

Um, I wanted to know this for sometime, I dont know why. Everytime I watch a Lakers game there is a short, white, bald scrub that is like I guess the "towel boy" for opposing teams. Reason why I ask is because seems like he's been there forever since I can remember in those Lakers vs Kings playoff series in early 2000's. So I ask, who is he?
roll.gif
@ the headband guy. What the hell is the point of wearing aheadband to hand players a towel? He's probably wearing some tights under his team issued warmup pants. You know, just in case Phil looks at him and says"hey towel boy, go in for Kwame"

Something I saw on truehoop on espn.
Wages of Wins author David Berri uses some numbers to argue that Andrew Bynum has been more effective than Kobe Bryant, and wonders if Bynum should start lobbying the team to trade Bryant for Jason Kidd. (And the case that Lamar Odom might be the odd man out.)
Here is the article

[h2]Andrew Bynum is Getting Even[/h2] [h4]December 4, 2007 · 14 Comments[/h4]
Kobe was the story of the summer. First he demands a trade. Then he comes back to the Lakers. Then Jerry Buss tells us that he's willing to trade Kobe.

Through it all, Kobe didn't go anywhere. Despite telling people that his teammates weren't good enough, Kobe really didn't get any new teammates. Well, the Lakers did go get him Derek Fisher, although such a move was probably not what Kobe had in mind. The last time Fisher was above average was in 1997-98. For his entire career Fisher has only produced 20.7 wins (and last year his Wins Produced was -0.7). Obviously no one is going to confuse Fisher with the major star Kobe demanded the Lakers acquire to help win the championship Kobe believes he deserves.

It's not that the Lakers didn't have their chances. Rumors swirled that the Nets were offering Jason Kidd or that the Pacers offered Jermaine O'Neal. But each trade included a demand for one specific player, Andrew Bynum. And each time the Lakers said no.

From media reports, Kobe was somewhat surprised that the Lakers would be so reluctant to part with Bynum. In fact, as Henry Abbott and TrueHoop reported last June (taken from Howard Beck and the New York Times), Kobe was caught on video saying the following:

"Are you kidding me?" Bryant says in the video. He goes on to say, with a number of profanities mixed in, that the Lakers should "ship out" Bynum.

"We're talking about Jason Kidd," Bryant says. He also speaks in a derisive tone about General Manager Mitch Kupchak before the video abruptly ends.

When we look at Wins Produced we can understand Kobe's reaction. Entering this season, Bynum had only produced 4.3 wins in his career, with a WP48 [Wins Produced per 48 minutes] of 0.097. So Bynum had thus far been about average (average WP48 is 0.100). Certainly it's hard to understand why the Lakers wouldn't part with such a player to acquire an established star.

The Best Center in LA

Well, it's hard to understand if all you look at is Wins Produced. But we need to do more than just look at numbers. We also have to think a bit.

Bynum was selected out of high school by the Lakers in the 2005 lottery. He's currently still a year away from his first legal drink. In sum, Bynum is young and blessed with "potential." Although this potential was not always evident his first two seasons, this year it looks like the Lakers faith in Bynum had been rewarded.

Before I get to the numbers, though, I want to return to a story posted a few weeks ago. The other center in LA, Chris Kaman, got off to an amazing start. And like Bynum, this start is somewhat surprising. Entering this season Kaman had only produced 12.9 wins and posted a 0.075 WP48.

So far in 2007-08, after only 15 games, Kaman has posted a 0.282 WP48. Given that Kaman is playing 38 minutes per game, he's on pace to produce 18.3 wins this year. Among centers in 2006-07 - as Table One reveals - only five centers offered a higher WP48. And only Dwight Howard produced more wins than 18.3. So Kaman is playing very well.

Table One: The Top 15 Centers in 2006-07

Although Kaman has started well, surprisingly - as Table Two reveals - Bynum is staking claim to the title "Best Center in LA".

Table Two: Bynum and Kaman in 2007-08

Thus far this season, Bynum has posted a 0.376 WP48. This mark eclipses the WP48 posted by every center last year. In essence, Bynum is becoming the star player Kobe demanded. In other words, the kid Kobe wanted to "ship out", is now showing Kobe how wrong he was this summer.

When we look at the individual stats, we see where Bynum is excelling. Relative to the average NBA center, Bynum is above with respect to shooting efficiency, scoring, rebounds, blocked shots, and assists. Plus he tends not to turn the ball over.

Now it's very important to remember, it's still early (which I keep saying over and over again). As the season progresses, both Bynum and Kaman might move closer to what we have seen in the past. But at this point, both players are playing quite well.

Who Should Demand a Trade?

In fact, returning to the subject of Kobe's summer demands, if Bynum's play continues we might start seeing him make simmilar demands. Kobe has only posted a WP48 of 0.268 this season. Yes, this is quite good (only Manu Ginobili and Dwyane Wade did better with respect to WP48 last season at shooting guard). Still, Bynum could argue he has done more on a per-minute basis.

So perhaps Bynum should start wondering if he could win an NBA title if only he had a better star on his team (a point I made a few weeks ago). Perhaps Bynum should demand the Lakers trade Kobe to the Nets for Jason Kidd.

Of course, the Lakers might say no. Then we would might hear Bynum say something like…"Are you kidding me? We're talking about Jason Kidd."

http://dberri.wordpress.com/2007/12/04/andrew-bynum-is-getting-even/

http://www.sportshubla.com/2007/12/04/lo-you-got-to-go-the-lakers-must-trade-lamar-odom/
http://www.sportshubla.com/2007/12/04/lo-you-got-to-go-the-lakers-must-trade-lamar-odom/
L.O., You Got to Go: The Lakers Must Trade Lamar Odomhttp://www.sportshubla.com/2007/12/04/lo-you-got-to-go-the-lakers-must-trade-lamar-odom/

By Ted M. Green | L.A. Confidential, Los Angeles Lakers, Column http://www.sportshubla.com/2007/12/04/lo-you-got-to-go-the-lakers-must-trade-lamar-odom/

You love his length, his versatility, his perfect basketball body.

You admire his humility and humanity.

You see his old-school selflessness on the court, how he passes first and prioritizes his teammates, how he deflects credit and accepts blame, and you think that he must be a very chill dude.

You empathize with his private struggles, particularly the tragic loss of his baby son.

You like almost everything about Lamar Odom, who he is, how he comports himself, how he plays hurt, his grace in the face of personal pain, and so you take absolutely no pleasure in what must be said if the Lakers are going to be anything more than what they've been since Odom arrived in Los Angeles, and that is average:

L.O., you got to go.

I could muddy up this story with stats: How he doesn't make shots when they count in the fourth quarter, how he underperforms on the road; heck, I could stat you straight into a column coma. But there is only one stat and one only that matters:

Into the fourth year of their partnership, the Lakers are a .500 team fronted by Kobe Bryant and Lamar Odom.

The chemistry, it's not consistently there. The talented tandem, they play well on the same nights too infrequently. The results after three full seasons: one disaster (32 wins in '05) followed by two first-round playoff exits.

L.A.'s 9-8 start now in the face of a tough schedule holds some promise. And with the development of both Andrew Bynum and Jordan Farmar, plus the reacquisition of smart locker-room leader Derek Fisher, the Lakers win total SHOULD improve from the low 40's of the past two years.

But significant progress, like 50-plus wins and a conference finals… I just don't sense that's going to happen while Kobe and Lamar are together.

Before you start with the emails, I'm not blaming Odom entirely. Kobe obviously isn't easy to play with. Superman doesn't do sidekicks. Plus for $10 million (growing to $12 million) a year to date the owner's daughter, Phil Jackson hasn't used those Hall of Fame credentials to instill any kind of real defensive mindset into his recent Laker teams, and that's a big issue too.

Injuries have factored in as well. And I could argue that except for Odom, who would start on most but not every NBA team, the Lakers currently do not have one other forward who is a bona fide NBA starter, so it's a weak position for the team.

Then there is fit. As in square peg, round hole. The Lakers need a real number two scorer to take pressure off Kobe. A guy who can pour in 18-20 a night, and go off for 35 when it's needed. That's not the role Odom naturally fills, nor one where his game best flourishes. (It's more a job for Caron Butler, but that's another column entirely…)

But except maybe for that one pre-Shaq in South Beach year when they did OK in Miami, I'm just not convinced Lamar is a winning player.

No one expected Odom to have Shaq-like impact after The Trade That Changed the Lakers, but in watching every Laker game since L.O. came to L.A., there have been too many missed jumpers, too often coming in the clutch. And those disappearing acts on the road? Lots of them, too. They do not happen with All-Star level players. All lead you to the inescapable conclusion that, after nine years in the league, despite the tantalizing talent, Lamar isn't an All-Star caliber performer and never will be.

At least not alongside Kobe.

So much talent, so many skills, so much potential…but so much of it consistently unfulfilled with the Lakers.

Thing is, NBA teams are like scientific templates for 11th grade high school science teachers. They are one big, ongoing chemistry experiment. PJ and the Lakers have been in the lab with Kobe and L.O. for quite a while now, like 3 1/2 years, and all they really have to show for it is the smell of sulfur.

To be perfectly clear, I'm not suggesting the Lakers should have traded Odom and Bynum for J Kidd. Kidd's a little long in the tooth for that. I'm glad they didn't trade that pair for Jermaine O'Neal. The poor man's O'Neal is only marginally better than Lamar straight up when healthy, and there've been some recent knee issues that indicate he isn't physically sound at all.

What I am suggesting is that it's time for the Lakers to commit to changing the chemistry, to acknowledge that Kobe and L.O. are a perfectly ordinary .500 partnership, to admit that it's time to find a different, better, more productive way to go.

Artest? A gamble but intriguing.

Kirilenko, that'd be a no-brainer, but if the Jazz were dumb enough to do that, owner Larry Miller also has a nice used car to sell you.

Mitch Kupchak knows far better than I do what's out there now in the way of a trade. It may be something. It may be nothing. But it's reaching the point where every option should be explored fully. I know, it's quite possible Mitch will tell you, don't worry, it'll be OK, we'll be fine when Kwame comes back to anchor our defense and give us the toughness we're missing right now in the paint.

Of course there are two small problems with that thinking: One, you're relying on Kwame Brown, who can get hurt just walking in from the car. And two, we've already seen the Lakers at full strength with Kwame, and they don't really cut it then, either.

So without having some kind of "in" with Mitch, and even knowing he's the Bill Stoneman of L.A. basketball, here's guessing the Lakers are going to revisit the Odom trade dialogue between now and the deadline.

If they don't, they should.

And if no trade happens, brace yourself, Laker fans, for deva vu, year three.

Because like I said, L.O., love ya, bro, but you got to go.

LOL you saw that ref getting rocked in the testicles?

Who was Odom passing it to? ( sarcasm )

Originally Posted by Three6mafia2007

what happened to radmonovic? is he on ir or something? i dont even see his name listed in the boxscore
Vlad, The machine and Mhim didn't make the trip. They are hurt.

^^ Thanks for the article. At least we have stability there, now we need to get a key free agent next year, and hope that Mr. Buss opens up that wallet andbrings in Gilbert Arenas
pimp.gif

Hey NT'ers especially the peeps on here who live in Socal, LA, or SD.

I have an idea.Lets try and get a NT summit setup for a Laker game @ Staples this season.

I know it can be hard because of finding tickets, ticket prices, money, gas, time & date, food, school, family, etc..

But a year or 2 ago a summit for a Laker game @ Staples was sucessfully setup in the Socal forum here on NT.

So lets try and get this setup & done.

If anyone has hookups on getting big group sale tickets for any game that would help a lot.

I was looking at the schedule and thought these Laker games we might have a chance at sucessfully getting a NT summit setup:

Fri 3/07 vs LA Clippers

Sun 3/09 vs Sacramento

Fri 3/21 vs Seattle

Sun 3/23 vs Golden State

Fri 3/28 vs Memphis

Sun 3/30 vs Washington

Originally Posted by LamarOwnsem

Since it's so apparent that Odom is not a second option type of a player
eyes.gif
, why don't we make Bynum our second option? He is definitely capable but no one ever gives him the opportunity.

Come on...I know I may have went off the deep end with the trade talk but this man is cutting stars into his head talking about being an all star. He makesstupid choices during the game and it kills me because I know what he can do. Why doesn't he just do it? Don't put stars in your head just go out thereand play with your head!

Kobe Bryant scored 12 of his 26 points in the third quarter, Andrew Bynum had 23 points and 13 rebounds, and the Los Angeles Lakers beat the Indiana Pacers 112-96 Sunday night for their 12th win in 15 games. Derek Fisher scored 22 points, Lamar Odom had 13 points and 13 rebounds, and Luke Walton added 10 points and seven assists for the Lakers (21-11), who moved a season-high 10 games over .500 in their second game in a stretch of seven where all but one have losing records. The Lakers also raised their record to 7-0 when all five starters score in double figures. AP/Boston Globe

Pacers G Jamaal Tinsley missed his fifth game due to a sore left hamstring. Coach Jim O'Brien said he hopes Tinsley will return during the team's five-game road trip that began with this game. AP/Boston Globe

Can it now safely be said that Phil Jackson is the greatest coach in league history? Jackson added another morsel to that argument Sunday night in the Lakers' 112-96 victory over the Indiana Pacers at Staples Center. Even with Kobe Bryant off to a 2-for-12 shooting start with four turnovers, the Lakers maintained control through the start of the third quarter - and then locked up the victory once Bryant found the range. Orange County Register

Jackson had unleashed what is called the "10" defense in his playbook - a full-court press that disconnected an Indiana team missing starting point guard Jamaal Tinsley to a thigh injury. Meanwhile, the Lakers' swift passing in that triangle offense Jackson has made famous was steady despite Bryant slipping and sliding through the first half; center Andrew Bynum finished with 23 points on 8-of-11 shooting, 13 rebounds and four blocks. Orange County Register

For the second time this season, Bynum totally outplayed Indiana's Jermaine O'Neal, who was discussed in offseason trade scenarios that would have required Bynum and Lamar Odom - scenarios the Lakers refused to indulge. O'Neal, who has been slow to recover from offseason knee surgery, had 13 points on 6-of-14 shooting, four rebounds and two blocks. Orange County Register

Jackson said before the game he sees more positives than negatives in Lamar Odom's emotional way on the court. Odom was coming off a one-game NBA suspension for tackling Boston's Ray Allen out of frustration. Orange County Register http://www.boston.com/sports/basketball/articles/2008/01/07/bryant_bynum_lead_lakers_past_pacers/

We gotta hang in there. Hopefully he is all right and will take a couple days to recoup and feel better. As I said in another thread, I expect Kobe to go onone of those runs for a few games while we try to settle in without Drew. LO needs to step up a bit, Brown will need to give us some boards and his D, Vladneeds to get healthy and add a bit, and Walton can step up some. Fish and Farmar and Turiza will do what they do, and Turiaf is capable of a couple nicegames. We may not get the #1 seed this year, but it's too soon to hit the panic button. Hang in there fellas.

and I can't see the Lakers NOT making moves next off-season with all the FA's out there

Like ska stated, Mitch is not competent enough to go after a key free agent...
laugh.gif

But I know that Jerry Buss is more involved with the team now, he's no longer behind the curtains so we will have to see.

Remember, Mitch is responsible for giving Vlad Rad that big contract
sick.gif

Originally Posted by badboyf0life420

NO NEWS YET OF BYNUM?

15 minutes until the Loose Cannons show comes on, then we will know.

I will post all info I hear, for those who can't tune in to the show...

Originally Posted by tupac003

What we know for sure at this point is that Detroit has not ruled out bringing Webber back later this season. The Pistons would still have to shed a salary or two for luxury-tax reasons -- finding a taker for Nazr Mohammed remains at the top of their wish list -- but I'm told that they do remain open to a reunion. That's even though Detroit has begun to give minutes to slender shot-blocker Cheick Samb in its rotation of bigs alongside Rasheed Wallace, Antonio McDyess, Jason Maxiell and tweener Amir Johnson. ESPN.com
Nazr Mohammed is out there...Chris mihm is trash. Maybe we pick him up if possible.

We are going to have to make moves this off season. Kwames 10 mil coming off the books. How much longer is odom under contract? I don't see how he is getting 13 mil.

How about PJ Brown??

BTW.......

4c48004b4d79440804a11a5c6894e704-getty-76075174fm020_bobcats_magic.jpg

Back
Top Bottom