Latino/hispanic discussion thread Vol Saludos.

My dad is from Mexico and my mom the states (non native Spanish speaker). I grew up in a small town and only spoke Spanish when I was little and when it was time to start school..they sent me home within the first week because my teacher couldn’t understand me :lol:
This is another thing I'm afraid of I explained to her that I didn't want to just send them off and expect their teachers to teach them proper English. Some teachers are just plain bad teachers, and don't want to take the time to hold a child's hand who's having a hard time. I'd rather my children have the foundation before they leave the house than to expect them to get it from some 24 year old white girl.

Last edited:
This is another thing I'm afraid of I explained to her that I didn't want to just send them off and expect their teachers to teach them proper English. Some teachers are just plain bad teachers, and don't want to take the time to hold a child's hand who's having a hard time. I'd rather my children have the foundation before they leave the house than to expect them to get it from some 24 year old white girl.

English fluency is all but assured being born in da US, Spanish? not so much unless its drilled at homem

I think the issue is that we expect it to be a foregone conclusion, when the educational system in this country isn't sound enough for me to think I wont have to help along my child in learning a language.

Assuming that could put your child in a bad position where they're isolated at school. I can't imagine what that could do to a child and their mind state in their formative years. Sure they'll probably pick up the language, but will they be able to converse on a higher intellectual level, or will they just have the English that they managed to pick up along the way?

While I don't take issue with that disconnect/broken English I sometimes hear from her or other people I know who started out with Spanish, society as a whole doesn't deal with it the same way.

If I have kids all i know is that ima teach em spanish at home. Im 1st generation American and my spanish is not a1a1 but way better than most youngins now. I find that 2nd generation will have a tougher time than me to learn that español. So ima make sure to have my kids speak that spanish at home.. especially because in the work field knowing more than one language, especially spanish, will help out A LOT.

my child turns 6 tomorrow (shout out to my little man, dro) he is ONLY allowed to speak Spanish to myself and my wife at home. if he asks a question or responds in English, we pay him no mind and he is forced to speak in Spanish. when we visit family, if they can speak Spanish, he is only allowed to speak to them in Spanish.

A LOT of 2nd gen that I’ve met are out here lost on the road, word to Gorilla Zoe. No semblance of culture.

How about on the cuisine side of things? You guys know how to make your culture’s traditional dishes or is that a lost art once mama passes :frown:

Music is life. Si les molesta tanto mis posts de musica, tienen la opcion de ignorarme/bloquiarme, no tienen excusa de seguir hablando sus babas.

La gastronomia de nosotros (Latinos) es exquisita... Pasteles de platano o de yuca, Alcapurrias, Mofongo, Arroz con gandules, Pupusas, Tamales de Honduras, Papa a la Huancaina, Arroz chaufa, etc.

my child turns 6 tomorrow (shout out to my little man, dro) he is ONLY allowed to speak Spanish to myself and my wife at home. if he asks a question or responds in English, we pay him no mind and he is forced to speak in Spanish. when we visit family, if they can speak Spanish, he is only allowed to speak to them in Spanish.

#Respect

I think the issue is that we expect it to be a foregone conclusion, when the educational system in this country isn't sound enough for me to think I wont have to help along my child in learning a language

Da learning never stops. That said, giving him that foundational Spanish at home, and let him get da English outside is alot more balanced approached, because its ALOT less likely he's gonna learn Spanish outside da home if he doesn't grasp it already from da parents.

outstanding.

My girl and I had a discussion about kids, and she says she wants Spanish to be the first language for them...I think the foundation should be English, and they should learn Spanish secondarily since English is what they'll be using most. It's not because I don't want my kids speaking Spanish, but there are small things I notice about my girl's English that makes it clear that Spanish was her first language.

Curious what other people think about this.

I thought you're from Kuwait?
:emoji_thinking:

Y que de lo mio?
Mejor tarde k nunca, no?

Y pa dejarte saber, mi nombre no es por ningun juego de video.

Guira
Tambora
Acordeon
:nthat:

nah, there's a certain pride and practical skill knowing 2 languages in general, if you're conscious of keeping it sharp it'll never get lost

Knowing multiple languages is a good thing in general but it's not a necessity in the US. As long as you're fluent in English, you can still live well here. To learn another language here, either it's a necessity in your private life because your close relative(s) don't speak English or you have a serious interest in learning. As is the case with my cousins that I mentioned earlier, they never had the real necessity to learn because most of the people in their lives spoke to them in English. One of them now has an interest in learning Spanish but that interest wasn't always there.

It doesn't matter what your background is, at some point in the future, the later generations will not know the original language because it won't be necessary for them to know it and every one around them will be able to communicate in English. We cling to the language or the culture because it was a big part of our lives but in the future, it will be lost to later generations. The only thing they'll have are our last names, but even that can change. It's just reality.

Argentine Guatemalan checking in

I was born in the US but i am a Gaucho Chapin
DC97D016-7408-49CC-AB86-316714030A73.jpeg

Love this Argentinean restaurant in Old Town Pasadena.

THAT’s a country I’d love to visit. The women there :wow:

you don't travel? being fluent in Spanish when you travel is second only to having money in terms of its usefulness abroad.

People only travel to Spanish speaking countries? You're going to learn every language? Most people travel to countries whose languages they aren't fluent in. Again, it's not a necessity. Traveling is a luxury in most cases and even if you do travel, odds are you're not going to know every foreign language.

Back
Top Bottom