let this thread die (NYK)

It's not only the defensive effort. D'Antoni conceded before the games the intensity just isn't always there from his team, saying the Knicks sometimes get "lost" or "sidetracked."

And the crowd is recognizing it.

The building was often quiet, fans perhaps a little groggy after the clocks sprung forward and with an early start. But the Knicks also are not entertaining them the way they did during their seven-game winning streak last month. Lin has been solid but couldn't be expected to sustain his sensational level of play, and the Knicks are still unable to settle on their best rotation with a much deeper roster than they had back then.

Anthony, usually loudly cheered, had some boos sprinkled in when he was introduced with the starting lineups. A brief "Fire D'Antoni!" chant broke out in the final minutes, and there were some loud boos near the finish.

"Times where we went on a little spurt where we didn't make shots, guys were putting their heads down," Anthony said, "and they heard a couple of boos out there, that just sucked the whole energy out of everybody tonight out there on the basketball court and we can't have that."

[font=Helvetica, Arial, Geneva, sans-serif]
[/font]

Nobody is turning on Lin. We're just tired of the turnovers or at least I am. I'm not gonna take this is "essentially his rookie season" as an excuse. TOs is one of the main things that have made this team underachieve. Too many of those kind of mistakes. Plus he's gambling on his help defense too much now and it's not panning out. This guy is starting at pg. Lets not act like that's not important.

Ofcourse there are other concerns.

Originally Posted by goldenchild9

At the end of the day....

This all falls on Pringles and real fans know it.

We're still playing wild guard ball with no guards. Its not effective with our personnel and it causing them to lose their passion for the game and playing with each other.

D'antoni needs to go, Amar'e needs to get healthy (unless hes totally damaged goods) and we need a healthy starting PG (Lin is a backup at this point in his development IMO)

We are just prolonging the torture until these things happen. D'antoni will never win an NBA championship so lets part ways now. We already have a basically a totally new roster, might as well get a new coach and call it a clean slate. It's too bad that we can't get rid of Dolan while we're at it.

If we still suck under a new coach, then the roster just has to get blown up...but getting rid of a lame duck coach would make more sense than continually revamping the roster to fit a losing system.

Any competent NBA coach would have us over .500 with this roster. We should be playing heavy inside out basketball instead of living on the perimeter.

We've been saying the same thing about D'antoni's boneheadness, crazy rotations, lack of emotion and defensive mindset for years...its never going to change. No matter who's on the team.

I'm happy with our roster besides the PG position (a backup PF/C would be a nice also)...its the coach that I have problems with.

THIS

1) The problem with having both Amare and Melo on the court together is that they're both sub-par defenders
2) Stat is a much better center on offense than when he's lined up at PF. His greatest asset was always the speed advantage he had against centers
3) D'Antoni is the biggest culprit right now. He's never been able to coach any defense and with this roster, that's a huge problem
4) If you're not going to fire D'Antoni or trade any of the players, you've gotta mix the line-ups
- Maybe something like Baron, Fields, Melo, Novak, Chandler to start
and Lin, Shumpert, JR, Jeffries, Amare as the 2nd unit
5) I'm just convinced that Amare and Melo can't be on the court together for long periods of time

I'm just mad at the effort at times. One half its like they play hard, the other half they play with no urgency. Or even quarter to quarter. I'm sure they all want to win, but they aren't doing the things to get it done. They have reasons to be struggling this season but it doesn't seem as if they are trying to play through those issues.

All I want to no is Amare hurt?! I remember last year he had the whole team on his back and dunking on everybody in sight

Now he can't jump over a penny...but no one in the organization seems to acknowledge it...I feel like something happened to his knees and the Knicks organization swept it under the rug

The Knicks would honestly be the 3rd best team in the east instantly if Melo is paired up with a Legit superstar point guard...if Nash went there...it would be over..
They honestly need to do everything in their power to get Nash + Get Nate as the coach + and trade Amare now...im sorry but he is done. All other pieces are there honestly.
Melo wants to win and he wants to follow the coaches game plan...unfortunately he is following the game plan of Mr. No Defense

Originally Posted by swyftdahoe

1) The problem with having both Amare and Melo on the court together is that they're both sub-par defenders
2) Stat is a much better center on offense than when he's lined up at PF. His greatest asset was always the speed advantage he had against centers
3) D'Antoni is the biggest culprit right now. He's never been able to coach any defense and with this roster, that's a huge problem
4) If you're not going to fire D'Antoni or trade any of the players, you've gotta mix the line-ups
- Maybe something like Baron, Fields, Melo, Novak, Chandler to start
and Lin, Shumpert, JR, Jeffries, Amare as the 2nd unit
5) I'm just convinced that Amare and Melo can't be on the court together for long periods of time
This. I know D'antoni has $!%! for brains when it comes to coaching, but it's really this simple when it comes down to it. This team has proved they can play, talent, and chemistry aren't the issues here. Make the pieces work, D'antoni is a absolute knuckle head son would rather get fired then try to actually do his job. 

I'm really tired of people saying Melo's defense is poor , do yall actually watch the games or just run your #@!$#@ mouth like everyone else does ?

D. Rose is about to abuse, straight abuse Lin tmw . I can see it already.
Lin's defense is non existent and that *#%%%% thing about it is, is that we have a coach who has no idea how or what defense is himself to help Lin.

Originally Posted by DoubleJs07

Originally Posted by abutta13

Originally Posted by Mez 0ne

When does the Fire Melo chants begin as well?
Our two best players don't play a like of defense and just go through the motions. Team only plays intense full court press when those two are sitting, that speaks VOLUMES

I've been hearing fire the coach fire the coach since 2001 every single season, gets old. Stop gassing the names on the jerseys the roster is flawed, thank Dolan for that.

Knicks have not nor will they ever win as long as Dolan owns the team.
this roster is not flawed.  we have one of the best looking teams on paper and a coach who does not know how to utilize it.  a good coach can easily get lin to be smarter with the ball, get melo and amare to show more effort on defense.  melo and amare are the types of players that need a tough, hard nosed coach to get the most out of them.  what they dont need is the type of coach who is going to make it as easy for them as possible and that is exactly what dantoni is.  he should just do whats right and quit for the sake of this team since dolan wont can him already.

No coach is going to make melo/stat better defenders.  You bring up these guys needing a tough/hard nosed coach to get the most out of them, well (in Melo's case) what was George Karl in Denver?  Melo is close to being a 10 year vet, and Amare already is.  You can't change a Zebra's stripes.  If Melo/STAT don't make that change themselves, it will be more of the same...which I'm sure it will be.  Doesn't matter if it's Phil Jackson or Red Auerbach coaching these guys, change has to happen within. 

Best looking team on paper? Really?

I see an Amare still not overcoming those back issues with no lift (no defense played ever in his career), I see Melo shooting a poor percentage and is useless when he does not score (and Iggy is still running down the court with Melo lackadaisical in pursuit), we have one player in Chandler who plays defense and even with HIS LEADERSHIP can't get those two numbskulls to play defense. People think we have to have a Hall of Fame coach to get in their faces to hold them accountable, these guys are NBA veterans man. Look at this beatiful defense we see night in and anight out.

JRStat.gif

.....and people bringing up Bosh....a guy named Lebron James has a lot to do with the defense left out there on the court, leads by examples on both ends of the floor. As much as I clown Lebron, guy is a precense the same way KG is/was when he arrived in Boston, he demanded the best out of his team mates and players have to also be coached amongst themselves while on the floor, not always just the coach getting in their face.

This falls on ownership just trying to grab the big name as usual to raise ticket prices, Linsanity took over and he raised ticket prices again.

knicks' roster isnt really that talented imo 

Dudes are blinded by the names on the jersey bruh, its mind boggling. Guys will make excuses for the players and always blame the coach....blame goes all around, and most of to ownership.

....and at least Lin tries, dumb turnovers yes but I never bought into the hype from day 1, felt he would be solid......was playing his best without deferring to Melo/Stat. This looks like good defense during an important moment of the game while everyone stares:

Ahmybadlin.gif

Originally Posted by Mez 0ne

(and Iggy is still running down the court with Melo lackadaisical in pursuit)

If you're talking about the play I think you are..it made me change the channel and not check back in until the 4th quarter. Getting outworked is a serious problem with this team. 

on paper no team with amare and melo in it should be 5 games under .500 so i cant really fully blame d antoni. im just sick of this whole squad cept for chandler shump novak and lin. 

Originally Posted by HarlemToTheBronx

Originally Posted by ATGD7154xBBxMZ

Of course we were. People wanted Pringles fired after he didn't get LeBron.

Only thing I didn't like was the in season firing talk especially after the trade. Dudes were talking reckless about hiring Mark Jackson
sick.gif

A lot of people wanted D'Antoni out right after we hired him.
laugh.gif
I was definitely one of them 
laugh.gif
 even had it in my sig that i wanted him fired

The culture needs to change and players need to start being held accountable. The only way of doing that is hiring a new coach. The roster is not flawed imo.

i understand they are veterans but if they cant figure it out themselves, then u get a competent coach to come in and try to fix it before u trash our best player for not being lebron james. when tyson chandler has more of an impact on the teams morale than the coach, we have a problem. honestly though if u do not think that we have one of the most talented rosters in the league im not even gonna waste my time arguing with u.

Who the hell do you think has more of an impact on the Heat and the way they play, LeBron and D-Wade or Spoelstra? Who do you think has more of an impact on the Clippers, Chris Paul or Vinny Del Negro? Who do you think has more of an impact on the Lakers...Kobe or Mike Brown? Stop continuing to put zero blame on your "leaders" and putting it all on the coach. Even though I personally see that his rotations are ******ed, Melo and Amare will not change their game no matter who the coach is. The only thing that could make Melo or Amare really change is probably if you straight up benched them for a couple games to see how they react to punishment.

Originally Posted by Buc Em

Who the hell do you think has more of an impact on the Heat and the way they play, LeBron and D-Wade or Spoelstra? Who do you think has more of an impact on the Clippers, Chris Paul or Vinny Del Negro? Who do you think has more of an impact on the Lakers...Kobe or Mike Brown? Stop continuing to put zero blame on your "leaders" and putting it all on the coach. Even though I personally see that his rotations are ******ed, Melo and Amare will not change their game no matter who the coach is. The only thing that could make Melo or Amare really change is probably if you straight up benched them for a couple games to see how they react to punishment.
Thing is he won't even do that. Like there really isn't anything I can think of coaching wise that he does. Why is he there? Guess his "system" goes a long way, this time it's failing him before the playoffs though

EDIT: And Melo and STAT have never been leaders imo, STAT did his best last year, but prior he has never had to play that position. Melo was always in a position to simply do as much as he could, and score as much as possible, he was never nurtured to be a leader throughout his career either. When that's who you have "leading" a coach stepping in is necessary, clearly they aren't gonna figure it out on their own, but then again it isn't like D'antoni has ever figured it out either. At the end of the day though, that's the sole reason D'antoni is paid, to lead that team, so yeah STAT and Melo should be more than what they are, but that's D'antoni's job specifically. 

Originally Posted by YoungTriz

Originally Posted by DoubleJs07

Originally Posted by Lubu1

You don't have a clue about what your talking about. A coach who teaches DEFENSE changes the entire mindset of the players. Look a Bosh. Bosh was getting hurt out in Canada. Now he is SOMEWHAT of a way better defender than he has ever been.  Bring in a defense minded coach and it will change things. Melo and Amare and even JR are natural born scorers. Its all they have ever been. However if they get a coach who can show them that defense is just as important as offense, you will see their talents maxed.
If Melo and STAT don't buy in, nothing is going to matter.  That's what the problem is.  Again, if THEY don't choose to become better defensive players, nothing will improve.  The overall makeup of the team won't allow that.  Look at you.  "If they get a coach who can show them that defense is just as important as offense."  Cmon son.  These are 10 YEAR VETS. 
laugh.gif
  It's not Jeremy Lin who is essentially a rookie...these are veteran players.  If they haven't shown the effort to at least try to be capable defenders at this point in their careers, do you honestly think they'll do so going forward?

Knicks are in a real tough spot.   I'm not sure what type of HOF coach you expect to come in here and get things right.  Like dudes were saying....McMillian or Skiles might be good bets. 

You bring up Bosh, but neglect to mention that he plays in a starting unit that boasts three GREAT defenders in Lebron/Wade/Anthony. 

chalmers aint bad either.... melo and stat have been in the league long enough to know what it takes to win, and they still chose not to work on defense...
Cause Karl is a defensive mastermind? Cause Mike is Defensive mastermind? Cause Gentry is a defensive MASTER MIND!? They have never been taught defense. Don't you listen to NBA 2k commentary?

I agree with you to an extent Buc Em..Yeah, the players that are getting that big star money should be held accountable for their teammates not playing to their potential, especially when they were playing better before these dudes came back into the lineup. However, coaching has a impact on ANY team..The coach sets the lineups, the coach decides when to take a player out or put them in..The coach sets up the plays and tells players what they need to do, especially in practice. And on top of all that "technical" stuff that a coach is responsible for, there are also those times where a coach needs to lift the spirits of his team, and that's something MDT isn't capable of.

Everyone knows Doc Rivers gives his teams inspirational speeches at halftime when his team played poorly in the first half..Phil Jackson wasn't called the "Zen Master" for his play calling. Every year people say the Spurs are too old to compete yet they're always one of the top in the West..You don't think Popovich is part of that? The Bulls keep winning games despite injuries to a lot of key players, and their defense is always on point, night in n night out...You don't think that has anything to do with Thibs? People can give D Rose the credit, but the Bulls were playing great defense even when Rose was out so it's not like he's the single reason they win games. Coaching impacts teams..If it wasn't essential to winning, then big name coaches wouldn't always get jobs in the league based on their ability to win in the past

Back
Top Bottom